GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread Watch

ToLiveInADream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sulfur)
You got 2.77AU!?!? How lol, I thought it was that double and +4 and then divide by 10 pattern, and the previous was 12, double it is 24, +4 /10 is 28/10 = 2.8AU

Travels 1800 km/s
Speed is 71 km/s per Mpc
Distance: ? (1800/71) Final units: Mpc
Yup, lol! I did that but I was talking about the question where it asked whether this star fitted into the pattern or not. That was 2.77AU so I said it was relatively close to 2.8AU so fit the pattern
ToLiveInADream
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by meessime)
Huh? What was the first question?
Asking us to explain why there was only data for 6 planets, I think..
meessime
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ToLiveInADream)
Oh I did that wrong then, I wrote something like it's to make sure there's a pattern to prove that titius-bole law is right...:
Sulfur
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Yup, lol! I did that but I was talking about the question where it asked whether this star fitted into the pattern or not. That was 2.77AU so I said it was relatively close to 2.8AU so fit the pattern
Ah yes! Good I put that

What was the answer? I said that people could only see them planets with the naked-eye, had no idea.
lyricalvibe
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What did people get for the sun and how long it'd take to run out of energy or something?

I did overall mass(given in question i think)/mass lost per second of the previous star question(it said they had similar luminosity)?
ToLiveInADream
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ah yes! Good I put that

What was the answer? I said that people could only see them planets with the naked-eye, had no idea.
I read over the question and it said something about 1504 so I figured they hadn't been discovered yet It fit in with the next couple of questions where it gave data for Neptune, Uranus & Pluto because it said data was only collected at like 1804?
lyricalvibe
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

That's what i put but i was just thinking how are they recording any of this data by naked eye then!
ToLiveInADream
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lyricalvibe)
What did people get for the sun and how long it'd take to run out of energy or something?

I did overall mass(given in question i think)/mass lost per second of the previous star question(it said they had similar luminosity)?
I never did that.. I worked out the energy with E=mc^2 with the mass they gave us. Then divided it with my answer from the previous question (mass lost,
methinks) because it said ''this much mass is lost in 1 second''.

It was such a weird question. I reckon grade boundaries will drop to 36 = A* tbh..
DDan123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Phew I thought I did badly in this exam until I read what everyone else put down for some of the dodgy questions
Overall it wasn't a bad paper, would have preferred more calculations but the 6 markers were nice.
Woop end of exams!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
lyricalvibe
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I never did that.. I worked out the energy with E=mc^2 with the mass they gave us. Then divided it with my answer from the previous question (mass lost,
methinks) because it said ''this much mass is lost in 1 second''.

It was such a weird question. I reckon grade boundaries will drop to 36 = A* tbh..
Yh, i know, completely out of spec -_- but i spent my last 5mins answering it :/ my school odly found it easy but most people want C or B so I'm thinking it'll go up for the C grade and down for the A*, 35-37 i think so basically what yousaid

What did you put for the lenses and refraction?
Sulfur
Rep:
?
I read over the question and it said something about 1504 so I figured they hadn't been discovered yet It fit in with the next couple of questions where it gave data for Neptune, Uranus & Pluto because it said data was only collected at like 1804?
That's what i put but i was just thinking how are they recording any of this data by naked eye then!
Hmm yup I see both points. I've just looked it up and they were discovered a bit later (1700-1800s) but surely the fact that they can't be seen by the naked eye also works, hence they couldn't be discovered until Galileo? This is why I hate OCR... if they allowed multiple answers then I'd be happy.
lyricalvibe
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've got 2 hours of statistics nowv then I'm done with exams though
Sulfur
Rep:
?
Yh, i know, completely out of spec -_- but i spent my last 5mins answering it :/ my school odly found it easy but most people want C or B so I'm thinking it'll go up for the C grade and down for the A*, 35-37 i think so basically what yousaid

What did you put for the lenses and refraction?
Didn't they repeat that lens question from last year?

You use an objective lens because it has a greater aperture than the wavelength so it collects more light radiation, that means that there's less diffraction and the eyepiece has more power so it creates a clearer image?
JazzyT17
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can you remember it? I'll try and answer.
Why are there only 6 planets? Something like that.
Sulfur
Rep:
?
(Original post by JazzyT17)
Why are there only 6 planets? Something like that.
Ah yup (just been answered on this page/page before - to do with discovery or not being seen with naked-eye)
olmyster911
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What did everyone put for the space telescopes 6 marker?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sulfur
Rep:
?
What was the question about astronomers observing distant galaxies and confidence? What did people put?
Magnesium
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What was the question about astronomers observing distant galaxies and confidence? What did people put?
I said things about peer review and how other astronomers need to calculate it to prove the claim is true etc
Magnesium
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by olmyster911)
What did everyone put for the space telescopes 6 marker?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I put the advantages of space telescopes compared to ground based telescopes e.g can absorb more wavelengths of EM radiation and can avoid cloudy nights and atmospheric refraction etc etc and said that since we can collect more radiation it leads to bright images and clearer, sharper images are produced which helps with our accuracy of calculations of parallax. For the cepheid variables part, i put that since we have to measure period, luminosity and observed brightness to calculate distance, it means that the brighter the image, the easier it is for us to determine the distance etc. I also said that since our parallax measurements are more accurate, you can essentially compare the two measurements (parallax and cepheid) to double check the distances and calculations
olmyster911
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Magnesium)
I put the advantages of space telescopes compared to ground based telescopes e.g can absorb more wavelengths of EM radiation and can avoid cloudy nights and atmospheric refraction etc etc and said that since we can collect more radiation it leads to bright images and clearer, sharper images are produced which helps with our accuracy of calculations of parallax. For the cepheid variables part, i put that since we have to measure period, luminosity and observed brightness to calculate distance, it means that the brighter the image, the easier it is for us to determine the distance etc. I also said that since our parallax measurements are more accurate, you can essentially compare the two measurements (parallax and cepheid) to double check the distances and calculations
You said lots more points than me, that actually answered the question xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (56)
19.31%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (117)
40.34%
Nope, not that interesting (117)
40.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise