Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by V2015)
    Well done!! What time was your result updated if you don't mind me asking. Been waiting for results all day
    I got a text and email around 12.30pm. I hope you hear soon, the waiting is terrible.

ReputationRep:
    To those who haven't been lucky this time, I have been successful this year on my second time of applying. When I applied the first time I just missed out with a score of 15 point-something and was absolutely gutted. Two years later and with so much more experience and confidence I got an immediate pass and feel so much more prepared for joining the Fast Stream.

So don't give up and good luck if you do apply again!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shablamo!)
    To those who haven't been lucky this time, I have been successful this year on my second time of applying. When I applied the first time I just missed out with a score of 15 point-something and was absolutely gutted. Two years later and with so much more experience and confidence I got an immediate pass and feel so much more prepared for joining the Fast Stream.

What did you do the year in-between? I've been applying for a few graduate internship type things but haven't even got an interview with anything else..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TritonSails)
    What did you do the year in-between? I've been applying for a few graduate internship type things but haven't even got an interview with anything else..!
    I've been working in higher education development, which I have really enjoyed, but is something I had never even heard of before I missed out on the Fast Stream and started looking for other things!

So I wouldn't worry if you do end up doing something not directly related to working in government, as the skills you will pick up in other areas will be really valuable for when you do join the civil service. And given that a secondment is now an integral part of many of the schemes, outside experience from other sectors can only be a good thing

ReputationRep:
    I've been silently stalking this thread for ages! Successful for HR woo!

ReputationRep:
    I've been working in higher education development, which I have really enjoyed, but is something I had never even heard of before I missed out on the Fast Stream and started looking for other things!

So I wouldn't worry if you do end up doing something not directly related to working in government, as the skills you will pick up in other areas will be really valuable for when you do join the civil service. And given that a secondment is now an integral part of many of the schemes, outside experience from other sectors can only be a good thing
    I can echo a lot of this - this was my first attempt at the civil service but I'm not a new graduate. I graduated from my first degree in 2009, then did a masters and a PhD and have been working in academia, before deciding on the career change. My FSAC feedback report reinforced what I already thought - that what got me through was the life experience that I have (teaching, managing staff, giving feedback, etc etc). The fast stream isn't just for people who are doing their finals now, it takes on a wide range of candidates experience of life outside of university is a BIG boost to your chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalosflores)
    I've been silently stalking this thread for ages! Successful for HR woo!
    Congrats and welcome! :five: There are loads of us now! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Got my results in, a pass for CD!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shera123)
    On this topic of scoring and FSB's I'm wondering if anyone knows if our FSAC mark counts any longer once you pass to FSB? Is this score built on further at FSB meaning that those with the higher scores at FSAC are in a better starting position, or is everyone marked from scratch at FSB and therefore on equal doing from that stage forward?

sorry for anyone who's had disappointing news so far but trying to focus on the positive means that you were on the right track and will (really) have better luck next time in all likelihood!

Hi! Ive was an SDIPer last year so have a contact in the fast stream recruitment team. Just emailed him saying I was worried my score was on the low side and was wondering if this put me at a disadvantage for the FSB and he said no!

Looks like just have to boss the FSB!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahLouPinder)
    Hi! Ive was an SDIPer last year so have a contact in the fast stream recruitment team. Just emailed him saying I was worried my score was on the low side and was wondering if this put me at a disadvantage for the FSB and he said no!

Looks like just have to boss the FSB!
    Well that's good news for me too as I'd imagine my score is mid-lower range of the marks! Was he any more specific or categorical with this info? Just asking to make sure he wasn't just being encouraging ?

ReputationRep:
    Just planning for the SAC - anyone knows what they mean exactly by "overnight expenses for any unavoidable stay"? If I would have to leave home at 5:30 AM, does it count as unavoidable stay?

I don't do well when I'm sleep-deprived - I've travelled to ACs in London before and I end up underperforming due to how sleepy I am, so I would like to stay in London if possible. I'm also worried about trains being late and such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roeslein)
    Just planning for the SAC - anyone knows what they mean exactly by "overnight expenses for any unavoidable stay"? If I would have to leave home at 5:30 AM, does it count as unavoidable stay?

I don't do well when I'm sleep-deprived - I've travelled to ACs in London before and I end up underperforming due to how sleepy I am, so I would like to stay in London if possible. I'm also worried about trains being late and such.
    Yes it does.

Premier Inn County Hall is where I stayed. Its very close to the venue, but I had a terrible night sleep tbh as they where clanging in the courtyard all night. But otherwise rooms were clean, staff pleasant, 10 minute walk to venue at a stroll (a fantastic walk across Westminster Bridge too) Evening meal and breakfast for £22.00 so you don't have to worry about finding breakfast in morning / looking for somewhere decent to eat at night.

Edit: I had a £120 overnight stay approved in addition to a £45 train coming from Liverpool (so a 2 1/2 hour journey).

ReputationRep:

Shablamo, if you don't mind me asking what have you been doing since then? I am a final year student, this was my last hope for a job next year and now I am struggling with thinking of what to do now :/ Any advice appreciated, i will definitely reapply.

Edit* Just saw your other reply, nvm!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the starting salary for HR includes the London allowance? Or do all grads start on the same(-ish) salary even in the regions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactusjr)
    Does anyone know if the starting salary for HR includes the London allowance? Or do all grads start on the same(-ish) salary even in the regions?
    If you find this out please let me know - I've been wondering the same.

ReputationRep:
    Unsuccessful earlier today for CD with a score of 15.75. I have a horrible feeling I must have been pretty close? Anyway congrats everyone who has been successful today!

ReputationRep:
    Any speculation on how many make it to the FSB for the GCS versus how many places are up for grabs? I asked parity for any info and they said none was available :-( - i am aware that this a new scheme so it would just be speculation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grownupfrog)
    Make sure you have note paper to hand. You'll get quite a lot of information to process before the main tasks begin. You might not have time to read it all but you should make sure you look at each document and possibly note down which document contains certain pieces of information that you think you might want to refer to later. I assume you've done the practice one that they offer... Good luck!

I'm on HR (successful in round 1). They don't release the numbers in advance I don't think, but there are some stats here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-stream-report
    For example, last year there were 80 HR vacancies with a 9% success rate, 60 the year before that with a 6% success rate, etc. HR is somewhere in the middle from that point of view - higher success rates than the generalist streams, but lower than stats/economists. To be honest I wouldn't worry about any of that though - just do your best at the E-tray and at FSAC if you get through. There are so many criteria involved that it isn't possible to second guess outcomes.
    Now completed my e-tray. It was intense! Do you know how soon the results come through so I know if I qualify for the next stage (FSAC)? The previous stages took about 24hrs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thursdayJ)
    Any speculation on how many make it to the FSB for the GCS versus how many places are up for grabs? I asked parity for any info and they said none was available :-( - i am aware that this a new scheme so it would just be speculation!

Based on this article on the GCS site 25 places are available but no idea how many are through to FSB - I would make an educated guess at 50 maybe?

https://gcn.civilservice.gov.uk/blog...-curtain-call/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frenchie86)
    Based on this article on the GCS site 25 places are available but no idea how many are through to FSB - I would make an educated guess at 50 maybe?

https://gcn.civilservice.gov.uk/blog...-curtain-call/
    Thank you! I hadn't seen that article :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.