Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oreoenthusiast)
    UCL vs LSE?
    I think the thing is that both are really good however their biggest negative (positive for some) is that they are in london so since they both share the negative LSE is clearly a no brainier since it is the better Uni overall for Econ. Of course if you want to do a year abroad UCL has an advantage so you must take that into account as well.

Overall I would say LSE since for the average Joe they get it when you say you studied Econ at the London School of Econ, giving it an advantage but it is not all about reputation.

To be honest with offers from both LSE and UCL you can't really go wrong as they are both so good you are really comparing diamonds. Of course if you go to one and you hate it you can always transfer (which is very easy to do these days) so it isn't a 'be all end all decision'.

Good luck and just try and think about the place you will be the most happy in!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aquaxo)
    Seeing as though this is about 2015 Econ applications - could anyone help with my Econ-course related question?: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...995&highlight=

Interesting question I think it depends on the university, some courses like at LSE are very mathematical whilst others are less so like Birmingham. You really need to look at the individual universities and also go to open days, most directly address your query. I would say however that if you can get an A/A* in maths you should be good enough to to Economics at most places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puffin Boffin)
    I think the thing is that both are really good however their biggest negative (positive for some) is that they are in london so since they both share the negative LSE is clearly a no brainier since it is the better Uni overall for Econ. Of course if you want to do a year abroad UCL has an advantage so you must take that into account as well.

Overall I would say LSE since for the average Joe they get it when you say you studied Econ at the London School of Econ, giving it an advantage but it is not all about reputation.

To be honest with offers from both LSE and UCL you can't really go wrong as they are both so good you are really comparing diamonds. Of course if you go to one and you hate it you can always transfer (which is very easy to do these days) so it isn't a 'be all end all decision'.

Good luck and just try and think about the place you will be the most happy in!!
    i would say LSE And Oxbridge are at the same level. UCL, Warwick and Durham are probably one level below but there aren't much difference in terms of academic wise. I would like to have a LSE offer although it seems to be impossible (got a UCL open day invitation tho) given it is 1 out of 20 for applicants per places

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aso816)
    i would say LSE And Oxbridge are at the same level. UCL, Warwick and Durham are probably one level below but there aren't much difference in terms of academic wise. I would like to have a LSE offer although it seems to be impossible (got a UCL open day invitation tho) given it is 1 out of 20 for applicants per places
    Agreed although the study abrod is the thing that ucl has over lse/oxbridge

ReputationRep:

I don't mind that they're in London but I know that LSE has a reputation of not really being as relaxed or like, social as other universities whereas UCL has a lot more of a social life, parties clubbing etc. Do you have an LSE offer/ have you firmed LSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBowcat)
    LSE, without a doubt.
    Is it your firm? Where else did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind that they're in London but I know that LSE has a reputation of not really being as relaxed or like, social as other universities whereas UCL has a lot more of a social life, parties clubbing etc. Do you have an LSE offer/ have you firmed LSE?
    I think the whole "LSE has no social life" is very common misconception, because of the rigour of the courses, and high percentage of international applicants. However, this is COMPLETELY incorrect. The social life is what you make of it, and I have many friends in the their 2nd and 3rd years at LSE who are having the time of their lives. These articles support this as well.

http://www.theguardian.com/education...sity-nightlife

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/educat...cle4288008.ece

ReputationRep:
    Is it your firm? Where else did you apply?
    Yes it is, I also applied to UCL, Warwick (Insurance), Bristol and Oxford. Received offers from all, bar oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't ever posted on this thread so here goes!

I have 3 offers for L100. I have Durham, Nottingham and Manchester.

Waiting on Edinburgh, (and LSE but I didn't apply for econ there).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBowcat)
    I think the whole "LSE has no social life" is very common misconception, because of the rigour of the courses, and high percentage of international applicants. However, this is COMPLETELY incorrect. The social life is what you make of it, and I have many friends in the their 2nd and 3rd years at LSE who are having the time of their lives. These articles support this as well.

http://www.theguardian.com/education...sity-nightlife

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/educat...cle4288008.ece
    "Do say: I came for the pills – I stayed for the first-class lectures and access to world-leading research programmes!Don’t say: All top jobs still going to piss–poor Oxbridge grads"

That did make me laugh tbh. I think I might have underestimated the amount of fun LSE students have!! Have you started thinking about accommodation? I am absolutely clueless about LSE accommodation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audi)
    Haven't ever posted on this thread so here goes!

I have 3 offers for L100. I have Durham, Nottingham and Manchester.

Waiting on Edinburgh, (and LSE but I didn't apply for econ there).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ooh what are you thinking of firming and insuring?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr234)
    Why is that?
    Coventry is just grim. I live in the middle of Cov and Leicester and if you think Leicester is bad then Cov takes that to another level. The joke always goes that the best thing Hitler did was bomb Coventry.
    I personally don't think Leicester is that bad, not much worse than most northern industrial cities but Cov is still in the 70s and that goes for the people too

Anyway, I've firmed Govt and Econ at LSE. Tbh not sure where I belong but this thread is busier than the Politics one so may as well squat in here

ReputationRep:
    Yea I have firmed LSE so I guess I'm a bit bias lol

ReputationRep:
    Yea I have firmed LSE so I guess I'm a bit bias lol
    where else do you have offers from?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me out here!
    GCSEs: 11A*s 4A's
    AS: 4As (maths biology chem economics)
    Predictions: 3A*'s (Economics biology maths)
    I'm not really sure how to rate my PS but it's not bad - I have done quite a bit of W.E and lots of extra econ things like master classes and running econ society.
    Anyway, I applied for l100 at LSE UCL and Nottingahm, Econ and Management at Oxford and L101 (economics with a year abroad) at UCL.
    I have had an offer from Nottingham and rejection from Oxford, post interview.
    I applied in October and am still waiting from LSE and ucl (today is the 6th week of a supposed 4 week email from LSE).
    In whats looking likely of a rejection from both school do people think I should take Nottingham or reapply? I really like Nottingham but I just feel that I could go to somewhere better and I am not in any way shape or form saying this in a arrogant way or looking to cause offence to anyone, I'm just saying what I feel is the case. I know Nottingham is fairly strong in economics, but when it comes to overall university rankings, it falls short a bit. Also, I want to be in London so so so bad but I was thinking I could do a masters and/or just live in London? Plus going to Nottingham wouldbe cheaper for my parents.
    Would honestly be gutted if I got rejected from the two, especially UCL as that year abroad course has always been my dream, but it's looking like I need a plan if that does occur.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read/reply tot this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomixox)
    Predictions: 3A*'s (Chen biology maths)
    I'm not really sure how to rate my PS but it's not bad - I have done quite a bit of W.E and lots of extra econ things like master classes and running econ society.
    Anyway, I applied for l100 at LSE UCL and Nottingahm, Econ and Management at Oxford and L101 (economics with a year abroad) at UCL.
    I applied in October and am still waiting from LSE and ucl (today is the 6th week of a supposed 4 week email from LSE).
    In whats looking likely of a rejection from both school do people think I should take Nottingham or reapply? I really like Nottingham but I just feel that I could go to somewhere better and I am not in any way shape or form saying this in a arrogant way or looking to cause offence to anyone, I'm just saying what I feel is the case. I know Nottingham is fairly strong in economics, but when it comes to overall university rankings, it falls short a bit. Also, I want to be in London so so so bad but I was thinking I could do a masters and/or just live in London? Plus going to Nottingham wouldbe cheaper for my parents.
    Would honestly be gutted if I got rejected from the two, especially UCL as that year abroad course has always been my dream, but it's looking like I need a plan if that does occur.

If you do well in your A2s and get 1A* or above, I think you should reapply. Purely by looking at your GCSEs/AS you look like you deserve more than Nottingham. Nottingham is a good uni, but I personally believe that it is miles behind the likes of Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick.

Maybe in your gap year you could self teach AS Further Maths. It will help your application a lot.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomixox)
    Predictions: 3A*'s (Chen biology maths)

Did you drop Economics at A2? Your grades are really strong so I'm quite surprised UCL haven't contacted you, I think it may be due to the fact that you dropped Economics at A2? In your case, I'd probably reapply but I'd recommend learning A2 Economics in your gap year and having a good reason as to why you dropped it Try to be optimistic, you still have a shot with LSE and UCL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr-96)
    Did you drop Economics at A2? Your grades are really strong so I'm quite surprised UCL haven't contacted you, I think it may be due to the fact that you dropped Economics at A2? In your case, I'd probably reapply but I'd recommend learning A2 Economics in your gap year and having a good reason as to why you dropped it Try to be optimistic, you still have a shot with LSE and UCL
    Sorry I made a mistake - I dropped chemistry at A2 not Economics haha! Yeah I probably should try stay hopeful! Thanks a lot x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revision Notes)
    If you do well in your A2s and get 1A* or above, I think you should reapply. Purely by looking at your GCSEs/AS you look like you deserve more than Nottingham. Nottingham is a good uni, but I personally believe that it is miles behind the likes of Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick.

Maybe in your gap year you could self teach AS Further Maths. It will help your application a lot.

Good luck
    Yeah, I do have some regret not doing AS FM but I honestly didnt know how I'd take it. Like, I'm pretty good at maths, but not THAT good at maths hahaha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.