Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Could anyone tell me what the difference is between UoM and MMU in terms of how many mature students are on the courses typically?

I've got accepted at both but just trying to choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logolepsy)
    Hello,

Could anyone tell me what the difference is between UoM and MMU in terms of how many mature students are on the courses typically?

Reading through this thread and going through all this last year I really don't think there is a typical number of mature students - it's a course that attracts a lot of mature students so there are sure to be a fair few wherever you decide to go.

Think I would base my choice on other issues such as course structure length of the course, which uni/facilities you prefer etc. (which is basically how I picked MMU over UoM last year)

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to anyone with interviews this week and hope those still waiting for offers hear this week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logolepsy)
    Hello,

Im at UoM and there is quite a mix of both mature students and students straight from college but I don't think it has an impact on the course either way. It probably varies each year and at each university so if I was you and choosing between the two unis in manchester then I'd think about units that differ between them and placement styles etc. if you've got any questions about UoM that might help your decision then feel free to ask and I'll help as much as I can!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I just got an unconditional offer for bcu so I'm going to accept it anyone else going there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace22)
    Hi everyone! I just got an unconditional offer for bcu so I'm going to accept it anyone else going there?
    Well done that's great news! So good to see all these offers coming in recently! Im a first year at UoM but if you've got any general questions then feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    I also have an unconditional offer (which I have firmed). Just the health check to get through.

I am a mature student, so will be commuting from Shropshire. Really looking forward to the course, but not the commute. How about you?

Well done on your offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shropshirelass51)
    I also have an unconditional offer (which I have firmed). Just the health check to get through.

I am a mature student, so will be commuting from Shropshire. Really looking forward to the course, but not the commute. How about you?

Well done on your offer!
    Hi there,

Oh great news, so I will see you there then! Thank you and same to you! I'm really looking forward to starting too, I'm 22 and studied in Belfast previously. I'm from ireland so I will be moving over to Birmingham in September (scary but exciting) does the university sort out all health checks for us?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Oh great news, so I will see you there then! Thank you and same to you! I'm really looking forward to starting too, I'm 22 and studied in Belfast previously. I'm from ireland so I will be moving over to Birmingham in September (scary but exciting) does the university sort out all health checks for us?
    From what I've read on this forum they will sort out the health checks. I am guessing they will send out a health questionnaire, which will ask us about inoculations, etc, sometime after they have sent out all the offers.

I know a few people who have made Birmingham as their firm choice and their ages vary. There seems to be quite a few mature students.

There's lots going on in Birmingham so I am sure you will enjoy it there.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if BCU normally goes into clearing? And if so what grades did they ask for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gscott10)
    Im at UoM and there is quite a mix of both mature students and students straight from college but I don't think it has an impact on the course either way. It probably varies each year and at each university so if I was you and choosing between the two unis in manchester then I'd think about units that differ between them and placement styles etc. if you've got any questions about UoM that might help your decision then feel free to ask and I'll help as much as I can!
    Hey! I'm still nervous about hitting push and firming UoM, so just wanted to ask what other unis did you apply to (firm/insure) and why did Manchester appeal to you?

ReputationRep:
    I too was worrying about being a bit older going to university... but judging by this thread there's a fair few of us!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speechtherapy01)
    Congrats on all your offers guys!
    First year BCU student studying SLT here! Let me know if you have any questions!
    Hi there im going to bcu in september, just wondering did you go to halls and if so would you recommend it? Im really stuck as to what to do for accomodation. I don't know if i should go to halls (i'm 22) or just find shared housing!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there im going to bcu in september, just wondering did you go to halls and if so would you recommend it? Im really stuck as to what to do for accomodation. I don't know if i should go to halls (i'm 22) or just find shared housing!
    Hi! How long did you have to wait post interview to recieve your decision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaaySLT)
    Hi! How long did you have to wait post interview to recieve your decision?
    Hello I had my interview on wednesday the 11th of March and got my offer exactly one week later! Did you have an interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luci444)
    Does anyone know if BCU normally goes into clearing? And if so what grades did they ask for
    It was in clearing last year but don't know if that is usual - think there is an old thread on here somewhere about people applying through clearing last year (sure I haven't dreamt I saw that lol) which might give an indication about grades. SLT is rarely in clearing with most of the unis though

ReputationRep:
    Just firmed Newcastle and insured Sheffield!! Argh exciting! Just need to get AAB now...so scared cos' if I don't I won't get into either, anyone know that if you drop a grade they may still let you in?x

ReputationRep:
    Hello I had my interview on wednesday the 11th of March and got my offer exactly one week later! Did you have an interview?
    Hi!! Thanks for replying. Yes, I had my interview yesterday...you heard after one week, wow . Hope I can hear this time next week and start celebrating (or crying lol!!)

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone firmed MMU yet? So scared im not going to get my grades haha
    If you have, what accommodation are you going for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahBennett97)
    Has anyone firmed MMU yet? So scared im not going to get my grades haha
    If you have, what accommodation are you going for?
    I've firmed MMU!
    It's terrifying isn't it - I'm super worried about not getting the grades. But then I thought suppose I do get the grades then I'd regret not putting it as my firm!
    Accommodation wise, I think I'm going to go for the Birley - although we can't apply until the 7th of April for accommodation!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.