Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    I honestly don't know the need you felt to post such a post.
    Unfortunately it speaks volumes of your mentality.
    Yes these isis are vile people we need to fight on all fronts, but at the same time no we do not should not and must not stoop to their low levels.
    We as muslims we fight them and we show that we are not about what they are, we do not stand for what they stand, a wrong deed is not corrected by another wrong deed.
    Nope anyone who joins ISIS should be left to rot they shouldn't be allowed to live on this earth with normal people. Also this is not about stooping to their level it's about getting revenge for a grieving mother and father.

Quite frankly they deserve capital punishment NO REHABILITATION NO FORGIVING THEM AND NO "BRINGING THEM BACK TO THE RIGHT PATH" they deserve nothing.

Honestly if i was the father in that situation then without no hesitance i would happily have them all killed. Actually the father of the pilot has called for every member of ISIS to be annihilated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    Awlaki was undoubtedly a good speaker

he is also considered as being the mentor and inspirator of some of the most dangerous terrorists out there - like the famous "underpants bomber", Abdulmutallab http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umar_Farouk_Abdulmutallab (a former chairman of the UCL ISOC)
    Let's look at the good he's done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goobypls)
    Nope anyone who joins ISIS should be left to rot they shouldn't be allowed to live on this earth with normal people. Also this is not about stooping to their level it's about getting revenge for a grieving mother and father.

Quite frankly they deserve capital punishment NO REHABILITATION NO FORGIVING THEM AND NO "BRINGING THEM BACK TO THE RIGHT PATH" they deserve nothing.

Honestly if i was the father in that situation then without no hesitance i would happily have them all killed. Actually the father of the pilot has called for every member of ISIS to be annihilated.
    This is the Isoc. Take this to the Isis megathread.

ReputationRep:
    Uh it's like my post was skimmed over and placed in an invisible bin. I talk about unity and you've completely ignored the message. SubhanAllah. Still about to spark a new fight on isis. SubhanAllah. SubhanAllah.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The Authenticity Regarding The Story Of The Torture Of Kenana ibn al-Rabi

The story is reported by Ibn Ishaq [1] and At-Tabari in his Tareekh [2]

In Ibn Ishaq's account he provides no chain of narration for the story.

One of the five criteria for a hadeeth to be authentic is that it must have a fully connected chain of transmission [3]

Ittisaal as-Sanad (Continuity of the chain of transmitters)

The chain of narrators or transmitters, who are relating the Matn (text), has to be unbroken for the hadeeth to be considered. That is none of the transmitters must be missing from the chain and each narrator, Raawee, has to have met the transmitter directly preceding him as well as the one directly following him. Each Raawee has to be a known individual, otherwise he is classified as majhool (unknown) and the sanad is classified as broken. [4]

In this case we don't have that. So this story can not be regarded as authentic.

Imam At-Tabari's work is seen as an encyclopaedia of history, collecting everything that came to him. He states clearly in the introduction to his history that he mentions narrations which are likely false, sometimes reprehensibly so, and he attributes these solely to their narrators. As a historian, he intended to document what people were narrating and, unlike Al-Bukhari and Muslim, his work was never intended to be a collection of authentic reports.

At-Tabari writes:

وليعلم الناظر في كتابنا هذا أن اعتمادي في كل ما أحضرت ذكره فيه مما شرطت أني راسمه فيه إنما هو على ما رويت من الأخبار التي أنا ذاكرها فيه والآثار التي أنا مسندها إلى رواتها فيه دون ما أدرك بحجج العقول واستنبط بفكر النفوس إلا اليسير القليل منه إذ كان العلم بما كان من أخبار الماضين وما هو كائن من أنباء الحادثين غير واصل إلى من لم يشاهدهم ولم يدرك زمانهم إلا بأخبار المخبرين ونقل الناقلين دون الاستخراج بالعقول والاستنباط بفكر النفوس فما يكن في كتابي هذا من خبر ذكرناه عن بعض الماضين مما يستنكره قارئه أو يستشنعه سامعه من أجل أنه لم يعرف له وجها في الصحة ولا معنى في الحقيقة فليعلم أنه لم يؤت ذلك من قبلنا وإنما أتى من قبل بعض ناقليه إلينا وإنا إنما أدينا ذلك على نحو ما أدي إلينا

The reader should know that with respect to all I have mentioned and made it a condition to set down in this writing of ours, I rely upon traditions and reports which I have transmitted and which I attribute to their transmitters. I rely only very exceptionally upon what is learned through rational arguments and deduced by internal thought processes. For no knowledge of history of men of the past and of recent men and events is attainable by those who were not able to observe them and did not live in their time, except through information and transmission provided by informants and transmitters. This cannot be brought out by reason or deduced by internal thought processes. This writing of mine may be found to contain some information, mentioned by us on the authority of certain men of the past, which the reader may disapprove of and the listener may find detestable, because he can find nothing sound and no real meaning in it. In such cases, he should know that such information has come not from us, but from those who transmitted it to us. We have merely reported it as it was reported to us.

Tareekh At-Tabari 3

In At-Tabari's account he also provides no isnaad for the story rendering it unauthentic. This is because he simply copied it from Ibn Ishaq:

In the rest of the report, both Tabari and Ibn Hisham have quoted it from Ibn Ishaq, but Ibn Ishaq does not name any narrator. Traditionalists, in books on Rijal, have explicitly stated that Ibn Ishaq used to borrow from the Jews stories concerning the battle of the Prophet (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). As Ibn Ishaq does not mention the name of any narrator whatsoever in this case, there is every likelihood of the story of having been passed on by the Jews. [5]

The narration also goes against authentic narrations of the Prophet Muhammad in which he prohibited punishment by fire:

"It is not fitting that anyone but the lord of the fire should punish with fire." [6]

"Do not punish anybody with Allah's punishment (fire)." [7]

So the narration is not authentic has it doesn't have any form isnaad, failing the first criteria for an authentic hadeeth, and its matn (text) also contradicts authentic narration - which also renders it weak.

This is why we need to authenticate and check hadeeth as Ibn Taymiyyah wrote:

قَدْ نَصَبَ اللَّهُ الْأَدِلَّةَ عَلَى بَيَانِ مَا فِيهَا مِنْ صَحِيحٍ وَغَيْرِهِ وَمَعْلُومٌ أَنَّ الْمَنْقُولَ فِي التَّفْسِيرِ أَكْثَرُهُ كَالْمَنْقُولِ فِي الْمَغَازِي وَالْمَلَاحِمِ وَلِهَذَا قَالَ الْإِمَامُ أَحْمَد ثَلَاثَةُ أُمُورٍ لَيْسَ لَهَا إسْنَادٌ التَّفْسِيرُ وَالْمَلَاحِمُ وَالْمَغَازِي وَيُرْوَى لَيْسَ لَهَا أَصْلٌ أَيْ إسْنَادٌ لِأَنَّ الْغَالِبَ عَلَيْهَا
    الْمَرَاسِيلُ مِثْلُ مَا يَذْكُرُهُ عُرْوَةُ بْنُ الزُّبَيْرِ وَالشَّعْبِيُّ وَالزُّهْرِيُّ وَمُوسَى بْنُ عُقْبَةَ وَابْنُ إسْحَاقَ

Allah has provided evidence establishing the authenticity or lack thereof for the narrations that are necessary in matters of the religion. It is well-known that most of what is reported in books of exegesis is similar to what is reported in books of history and battles. For this reason, Imam Ahmad said that three matters are not reliable: exegesis, stories of battles, and history. These matters are narrated without a basis or chain of narration from those who omit narrators such as what is mentioned from Urwah ibn Az-Zubair, Ash-Sha’bi, Az-Zuhri, Musa ibn Uqbah, and Ibn Ishaq. [8]

References:
    [1] Al-Sira al-Nabawiyya (The Life of The Prophet). English translation in Guillame (1955), pp. 145–146
    [2] Al-Tabari, Vol. 8, p. 122
    [3] Bilal Philips, Usool Al-Hadeeth, p.39. Mohammad Hashim Kamali, A Textbook of Hadith Studies, pp.139-143.
    [4] Bilal Philips, Usool Al-Hadeeth, p.39.
    [5] Allama Shibli Nu'Mani, Sirat-Un-Nabi, volume II, p 173-174
    [6] Sunan Abi Dawud 5268 - Al-Albani Said Saheeh.
    [7]Sahih al-Bukhari 6922
    [8] Majmu’ Al-Fatawa 13/346

Spoiler:
    Show
    DID PROPHET MUHAMMAD FORCE SAFIYYAH TO MARRY HIM?

In short no. Various sources detail how Safiyah choose to marry the Prophet (P) [1][2][3][4][5][6] rendering the claim utterly baseless. It is well known that Safiyyah(R) remained loyal to the Prophet until he passed away [7] and he gave her the option to either return back to her people or marry the Prophet (P):

لما دخلت صفية على النبي، صلى الله عليه وسلم، وسلم قال لها: لم يزل أبوك من أشد يهود لي عداوة حتى قتله الله. فقالت: يا رسول الله إن الله يقول في كتابه ولا تزر وازرة وزر أخرى. فقال: لها رسول الله: اختاري، فإن اخترت الإسلام أمسكتك لنفسي وإن اخترت اليهودية فعسى أن أعتقك فتلحقي بقومك. فقالت: يا رسول الله لقد هويت الإسلام وصدقت بك قبل أن تدعوني حيث صرت إلى رحلك وما لي في اليهودية أرب وما لي فيها والد ولا أخ، وخيرتني الكفر والإسلام فالله ورسوله أحب إلي من العتق وأن أرجع إلى قومي

When Safiya came to the Holy Prophet (pbuh), he said to her; ‘Among the Jews your father did not stop in his enmity towards me until Allah destroyed him.’ She said: ‘O Allah’s Messenger! Indeed Allah says in His book, ‘No one will take anyone else’s burden’. So the Holy Prophet (PBUH) said to her: ‘Make your choice, if you will chose Islam I’ll select you for myself and if you chose Judaism, I’ll set you free and send you to your people.’ She said; ‘O Allah’s Messenger indeed I longed for Islam and testified for you even before you gave me this invitation when I came to you. I have no guardian among the Jews, neither father nor brother and I prefer Islam over disbelief. Allah and His Messenger are dear to me then freedom and to return to my people.”
    [8]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) then gave Safiyyah the freedom to choose whether to be set free and return to her people or to embrace Islam and be married to him. With great pleasure Safiyyah said, "I choose Allah and His Messenger." The Prophet (peace be upon him) set her free and that was her dowry. Safiyyah then said, "O Messenger of Allah, I had loved Islam long before you invited me to embrace it. I have no desire in the Jewish religion. You gave me the freedom to choose between polytheism and Islam. I choose Allah and His Messenger who are more precious to me than getting my freedom and returning back to my people." [9]

He [the Prophet Muhammad - Ed.] then told Safiyyah that he was prepared to set her free, and he offered her the choice between remaining a Jewess and returning to her people or entering Islam and becoming his wife. “I choose God and His Messenger,” she said; and they were married at the first halt on the homeward march. [10]

When the spoils of war were divided up, Safiyyah fell to the lot of Dihyah bin Khaleefah Al-Kalbi and he gave her to the Prophet, who set her free and then married her, after giving her the choice of returning to what remained of her family or embracing Islam and being taken by him as his wife. She chose Allah and His Messenger and became a good Muslim. [11]

Allah's Messenger set her free and offered a choice between remaining a Jewess and returning to her people or entering Islam and marrying him. She chose the Prophet and Islam, may Allah be pleased with her.
    Ibn Sa'd explained her choice. He said that the Prophet said to her: "You have the option, if you choose Islam I will marry you and take you to my house. And if you choose to remain a Jewess I will set you free and return you to your family. She said: "O' Prophet of Allah! I admired Islam and believed in you before you called me to Islam and became one of the Muslims. I have no interest in Judaism as well as I have no father or brother in it, and you gave me a choice between Judaism and freedom, and Islam, so Allah and his Messenger are more beloved and dearer to me than freedom and going back to my people."
    The daughter of the King chose the Prophet and he married her. [12]

References:
    [1] Ibn Saad, At-Tabaqat, 8/123.
    [2] Martin Lings, Muhammad: His Life Based On The Earliest Sources (George Allen & Unwin, 1983), p. 269
    [3] Darussalam, (2004) The Honorable Wives of the Prophet, Darussalam, p.115
    [4] Muhammad Fathi Mus'ad, The Wives of the Prophet Muhammad: Their Strives and Their Lives, pp.164-165
    [5] Safi-ur-Rahman Al-Mubarakpuri, (2008) Ar-Raheeq Al-Makhtum The Sealed Nectar, Darussalam, pp. 440-441. See also Safiur-Rahman Mubarkpuri, (2002) When the Moon Split, Darussalam, p.315 & Muhammad 'Ali Qutb, (2008) Women Around The Messenger, International Islamic Publishing House, p.99
    [6] Faridah Mas'ood Debas (2006), The Wives of The Prophet Muhammad, International Islamic Publishing House, p.130.
    [7] Muhammad Husayn Haykal, The Life of Muhammad (North American Trust Publications, 1976), p. 374
    [8] Ibn Saad 8/123
    [9] Muhammad Fathi Mus'ad, The Wives of the Prophet Muhammad: Their Strives and Their Lives, pp.164-165
    [10] Martin Lings, Muhammad: His Life Based On The Earliest Sources (George Allen & Unwin, 1983), p. 269
    [11] Darussalam, (2004) The Honorable Wives of the Prophet, Darussalam, p.115
    [12] Faridah Mas'ood Debas (2006), The Wives of The Prophet Muhammad, International Islamic Publishing House, p.130.

http://quran-errors.weebly.com/did-t...marry-him.html

ReputationRep:
    This has got to me my favourite lecture by Mufti Menk yet. Absolutely beautiful a MUST WATCH!!! I'm telling you even non religious people enjoyed watching it:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goobypls)
    I applaud the Jordanians for executing those ISIS scumbags including that female member. Honestly the Jordanians should have just shoved them in a cage and set them on fire.

Anyone in ISIS deserves to be dead 100% because quite frankly Muslim or not they deserve it including the women that decide to join.
    No Muslim should punish anyone with the punishment of Allah- The fire. But you wouldn't know that now would you.

And this post shows your childish mentality.

ReputationRep:
    Ok everyone just calm down.

ReputationRep:
    Imam Muslim writes in Kitaab Al-Masaajid wa mawaadhi'i As-Salaah under the chapter:

The virtue of prayer in congregation, and clarifying the stern warning against staying away from it, and that it is fard kifayah

Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) as saying:

The most burdensome prayers for the hypocrites are the night prayer and the morning prayer. If they were to know the blessings they have in store, they would have come to them, even though crawling, and I thought that I should order the prayer to be commenced and command a person to lead people in prayer, and I should then go along with some persons having a fagot of fuel with them to the people who have not attended the prayer (in congregation) and would burn their houses with fire.

Sahih Muslim 651 b

Imam Abi Dawud writes similar narrations under the chapter: "The Severity Of Not Attending The Congregational Prayer" in his Sunan

Imam Ibn Majah puts it under: "Severe warning Against Missing Prayer In Congregation" in his Sunan

Imam Bukhari puts similar narration under the chapter: "Congregational Salat (prayer) is obligatory." in his Saheeh.

The purpose behind these narrations are to show how virtuous prayer in congregation is and to warn us of how serious it is to miss it.

May Allah allow us to not be among the hypocrites and be among those who visit the mosque regularly for our salah.

Ameen

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    So Safiyyah choose to marry the Prophet (P) and what we find is that Safiyah had a desire to marry the Prophet (P) before meeting him. She had fallen in love with him:

نَزَلَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ خَيْبَرَ وَصَفِيَّةُ عَرُوسٌ فِي مَجَاسِدِهَا، فَرَأَتْ فِي الْمَنَامِ كَأَنَّ الشَّمْسَ نَزَلَتْ حَتَّى وَقَعَتْ عَلَى صَدْرِهَا، فَقَصَّتْ ذَلِكَ عَلَى زَوْجِهَا، فَقَالَ: وَاللَّهِ مَا تَمَنَّيْنَ إِلا هَذَا الْمَلِكَ الَّذِي نَزَلَ بنا، فَفَتَحَهَا رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ وَضَرَبَ عُنُقَ زَوْجِهَا صَبْرًا، وَتَعَرِّضَ مِنْ هُنَاكَ مِنْ فِتْيَةِ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ لِيَتَزَوَّجَهَا

When Allah’s Messenger (pbuh) reached Khyber while Safiya was a bride at her place. She saw in her dream that a sun came into her lap. She mentioned it before her husband. He said; ‘By Allah you do not wish for anyone except the King who has come upon us.’ Allah’s Messenger conquered Khyber and her husband was killed. From that time (of dream) she loved that the Prophet (pbuh) may marry her. [13]

Also, the symbolic fall of the sun onto Safiyah's chest had its own indications. For she had a yearning, from the depth of her heart full of faith, for the person of the Messenger of Allah, Muhammad. [14]

Wisdoms behind the Marriage

There is alot of wisdom behind the Prophets (P) marriage to Safiyah. This significant act of marrying Safiyyah(R) was indeed a great honour for her, for this preserved her dignity and raised her status:
    The Prophet granted her freedom and then married her, following the examples of great conquerors who married the daughters and wives of the kings whom they had conquered, partly in order to alleviate their tragedy and partly to preserve their dignity. [15]

The marriage to Safiyyah (R) has a political significance as well, as it helps to reduce hostilities and cement alliances:
    As was customary for Arab chiefs, many were political marriages to cement alliances. Others were marriages to the widows of his companions who had fallen in combat and were in need of protection. [16]

With marrying Safiyyah, the Prophet aimed at ending the enmity and hostility adopted by the Jews against him and against Islam, all the way long, but alas they went on with their hatred for Islam and for the Prophet simply because it was their natural disposition to be malicious and stubborn. [17]

Safiyah's attitude towards the Prophet (P)

As mentioned before Safiyah had fallen in love with the Prophet (P) well before him. And in there marriage this love only blossomed:
    Safiyyah moved to the house of the Prophet. He loved, appreciated and honored her to the extent that he made her say; "I have never seen a good-natured person as the Messenger of Allah.[18]

Safiyah was faithful and loyal to the Prophet. She became known as a great cook.She was truly faithful and loyal to the Prophet who protected and loved her dearly. Safiyah was a great cook. It was reported that 'Aishah said: "I have never seen a cook who is better than Safiyah. Once she made food for the Prophet in my house which was great. I shook with jealousy, to the extent that I broke the cooking pot. I regretted it and said to the Prophet: "How can I make up for what I did?" He said: "Get a pot like the broken one and cook food like Safiyah's food." It was the Prophet's good sense and wisdom which removed jealously from his wives. [19]

We truly see how much Safiyah (RA) loved the Prophet (P) through an event that happened when the Prophet (P) was on his deathbed. Safiyah out of severe love for the Prophet (P) wished to switch places with him, so she would receive his pain rather than him. Such was her love for the Prophet (P):
    The Prophet acknowledged the honesty of Safiyyah and what a great acknowledgement it was as it came from the most honest person on earth. Zayd ibn Aslam said, "When the Prophet was so sick and on the verge of death his wives gathered around him. Safiyyah bint Huyayyay said, 'O Messenger of Allah, by Allah, I would like to be in your place.' Hearing her utterance, the Prophet's wives winked at her. The Prophet saw them and said, 'Rinse your mouths.' They said, 'For what, Messenger of Allah?' He said, 'For your winking at her, by Allah, she is telling the truth.'" [20]

The wives of the Prophet gathered during his fatal illness and Safiyyah bin Huyay said: "By Allah, O Messenger of Allah, I wish that what is afflicting you had afflicted me (instead)." The wives of the Prophet looked at one another and winked. The Messenger of Allah observed this and said to them: "Rinse your mouths". They asked him: "Why?" He said: "Because of your winking at one another over what she said; by Allah, she is sincere and truthful." [21]

Ibn Sa'd reported with a hasan chain of transmitter on the authority of Zayd ibn Aslam, who said: The Prophet's wives gathered when the Messenger of Allah was in his sickness in which he died. Safiyah said: O Prophet of Allah! I wish I were suffering from that which you are suffering! Upon hearing that, the Prophet's other wives winked at one another. The Messenger of Allah commanded them: Go and rinse your mouths. They asked: From what? He answered: Because of your wink at one another to mock her. By Allah! She is truthful (in what she said). [22]

The Prophets (P) attitude towards Safiyah

The Prophet (P) truly loved Safiyah and displayed many affectionate acts of love towards her so much that he made her say:
    "I have never seen a good-natured person as the Messenger of Allah." [23]

The Prophet (P) treated Safiyah with kindness and respect:
    Indeed, when Bilal ibn Rabah(R), a Companion of the Prophet, brought Safiyyah along with another Jewess before him(P) by passing through the Jews that were slain in the battle, Muhammad(P) personally chided Bilal and said "Have you no compassion, Bilal, when you brought two women past their dead husbands?" [24]

The Prophet used to treat Safiyyah with courteousness, gentleness and affection. Safiyyah said, "The Messenger of Allah went to Hajj with his wives. On the way my camel knelt down for it was the weakest among all the other camels and so I wept. The Prophet came to me and wiped away my tears with his dress and hands. The more he asked me not to weep the more I went on weeping. [25]

Anas ibn Malik narrates, “I saw the Prophet (salla Allahu ‘alaihi wa sallam), making for her (Safiya) a kind of cushion with his cloak behind him (on his camel). He then sat beside his camel and put his knee for Safiya to put her foot on, in order to ride (on the camel).” [26]

Safiyah herself states:
    “When the Holy Prophet was about to depart for Khaibar and it was time for me to mount upon the camel, the Prophet first prepared the howdah and he folded the [cloak] that he was wearing and laid it down on the howdah where I was to sit so that it softened even more.”
    In order for her to mount upon her camel, the Holy Prophet lowered his knee in front of her, and said, “Place your foot on this and mount upon the horse.”
    [26]

These small acts of kindness left an indelible mark upon Safiyyah. She states:“During a journey, an unlimited degree of affection was shown by the Holy Prophet towards me. At the time I was a young woman and many a time, after sitting in the howdah for a long time, I would be overcome by slumber and my head would hit against the wooden howdah. The Holy Prophet would support my head with much love and affection and make me go to sleep. He would say: ‘O daughter of Huyayy! Take care of yourself, lest in the state of sleep or slumber you get hurt.’” [28]

On one occasion Safiyah and the Prophet were riding on a camel. The camel slipped and both of them fell down. When a companion rushed to ask if the Prophet (P) was ok, his immediate response was for the companion to quickly go ensure Safiyah was ok. Such was his love for her:Anas bin Malik, states: “Upon returning from ‘Asfaan, we were travelling along with the Prophetsa. The Prophet mounted a camel and Hazrat Safiyyahra bint Huyyay was sitting behind him. The foot of the camel slipped and the Prophetsa and Hazrat Safiyyahra both fell off. Abu Talhara jumped off his camel and said, ‘O Messenger of Allah! I am sacrificed unto thee! Are you okay?’ He retorted, ‘Enquire about the lady first.’ Therefore Abu Talhara veiled his face and went to Hazrat Safiyyahra and covered her in a chaadar [cloth used as head-covering] and prepared the camel.” [29]

Prophet (P) use to defend and comfort Safiyah from attacks about her on many occasions:There was once a situation when Zaynab bint Jahsh and Safiyyah went with the Prophet on one of his travels and the camel of Safiyyah fell sick. The Prophet said to Zaynab, "The camel of Safiyyah has fallen sick, what about giving her one of your camels?" She said, "Never should I give it to such a Jewish woman". The Prophet became angry with her and he did not approach her for two months. [30]

When Safiyyah arrived from Khaibar, she was placed in the house of Harithah bin An-Nu'man and the women from among the Ansar came to look at her beauty. 'Aisha came to see her and after she had left, the Prophet followed her and asked her: "What did you see, O 'Aishah?" She said: "I saw a Jewess." The Prophet said:
    "Do not say that, for she has embraced Islam and is a good Muslim." [Al-Isabah by Ibn Hajar 11407]
    Safiyyah complained to the Prophet that 'Aisha and Hafsah were arrogant towards her because they were daughters of the Prophet's uncle and his wives. Upon hearing this, the Prophet said:
    "Did you not say to them: How can you better than I, when my father is Aaron, my uncle is Moses and my husband is Muhammad?" [Al-Istee'ab 3439 and At-Tirmidhi 3893]
    Safiyyah was also informed that Hafsah bint 'Umar had referred to her as "a Jewish girl." When she heard this, she wept; the Prophet upon hearing this said to her:
    "Verily, you are a daughter of a Prophet, your uncle is a Prophet and you are married to a Prophet, so on what basis do they consider themselves superior to you?" [Hilyatul-Awliya' 2/55] [31]

On one occasion, the Prophet's wife Hafsah chided her co-wife Safiyyah by calling her “the daughter of a Jew”. She started to cry. The Prophet (peace be upon him) then came in and asked her why she was crying. She said: “Hafsah called me the daughter of a Jew.”
    To this the Prophet (peace be upon him) replied:

“Verily, you are the daughter of a Prophet, your uncle was also a Prophet, and you are the wife of a Prophet, so what does she have over you to boast about?”
    He then turned to Hafsah and said: “Fear Allah, O Hafsah.” [32]

Safiyyah states:“The Prophet always treated me kindly. Once, somebody from among the noble wives taunted me by saying, ‘You belong to a Jewish tribe i.e., you are from among the progeny of the Jews.’ The Prophet came home and upon seeing me cry asked, ‘What’s the matter with you?’ I replied, ’O Messenger of Allah! Some of your wives are related to your family or to the Quraish [the dominant tribe in Makkah]. They said that they belonged to the family of the Quraish while I was the daughter of the Jews. The Prophet said, ‘O daughter of Huyyay! What need is there to cry? You ought to have responded to them by saying, “How could you fare better than me, while Prophet Aaron was my father, the prophet Moses was my uncle and Muhammad is my husband!” [33]

That is to say, she enjoyed a relationship with three Prophets while they (the other wives) were taking pride over the one relation they had with the Prophet.
    Ibn Sa'd narrated on the authority of 'Ata ibn Yasar that he said: When Safiyah arrived (in Madinah) from Khaybar, she lodged at a house belonging to Harithah ibn an-Nu'man. The Ansar women heard of that and they came looking at her beauty and 'Aishah also came wearing her face veil. When she came out, the Messenger of Allah asked her: What did you see? She said: I saw a Jewish woman! He then told her: Do not say that for she has embraced Islam and practises it perfectly.
    'Aishah was not the only one of the Prophet's wives to feel jealous of Safiyah.
    Ibn Sa'd narrated on the authority of 'Aishah: The Messenger of Allah was on a journey and Safiyah's camel became ill. Zaynab bint Jahsh had an extra camel, so the Prophet told her: Safiyah's camel is ill, can you please lend her a camel? Zaynab retorted: Should I lend it to that Jewish woman? So the Messenger of Allah stayed away from her for Dhul-Hijjah and Muharram, two or three months without coming to her. Of this Zaynab said: Until I had given up all hope of seeing him.
    It was also reported that the Prophet's wives used to say many other things about her.
    Her servant Kinanah narrated that she (Safiyah) said: The Prophet entered my house when I had heard recently that 'Aishah and Hafsah were saying they were dearer to the Messenger of Allah than I, and that they were his wives and cousins. When I mentioned that to the Messenger of Allah he told me: You should have told them: How could you be better than I while my husband is Muhammad and my father is Aaron and my uncle is Moses? [34]

On one occasion 'Aisha pointed her little finger at Hazrat Safiyyah tauntingly, by way of saying that she was short in height. When the Prophet learnt of this, he reprimanded her severely and said, “You have spoken a word such that, if it were mixed in the water of the ocean, it would darken it.” [35]

The Character of Safiyah

Through her life with the Prophet (P) and after Safiyah became a humble, pious worshipper of Allah:
    Abd Allah ibn Ubaydah said, "A group of people gathered in the room of Safiyyah, a wife of the Prophet. They remembered Allah, recited the Qur'an and prostrated. Saffiyah called them saying, 'You prostrated and recited the Quran but where is your weeping (out of fearing Allah)?" [36]

Safiyyah established a warm and sympathetic relation with the Prophet's household. She presented Fatimah az-Zahra' a gift of jewels expressing her affection to her, and she also gave some of the Prophet's wives gifts from her jewels that she brought with her from Khaybar. [37]

Safiyyah was a humble worshiper and a pious believer. About her ibn Kathir said, "She was one of the best women in her worship, piousness, ascetism, devoutness, and charity. [38]

Safiyyah was a very charitable and generous woman. She used to give out and spend whatever she had for the sake of Allah to the extent that she gave out a house that she had when she was still alive. [39]

Safiyyah was loyal to the Companions of the Messenger of Allah; she revered them and loved them. This was because she knew the high esteem in which the Messenger of Allah held them. For this reason, when the rebels surrounded the house of 'Uthman bin 'Affan and prevented him from recieving water and food, Safiyah made a crossing between her house and that of 'Uthman and brought food and water to him. [40]

Some of her most prominent qualities were her intelligence, forbearance and nobility. A maid of hers plotted against her in the presence of 'Umar, and informed him that Safiyah loved Saturday and was kind to the Jews. 'Umar sent for Safiyah and asked her about that. She explained: As for Saturday, I no longer love it since Allah has replaced it for me with Friday. As for the Jews, I still have kith and kin among them, so I have to be kind to them. Safiyah knew that it was her maid who plotted against her, and she asked her: Why did you do this? The maid said: It was Satan. Safiyah then told her: Go, you are free.
    I believe that Safiyah freed her maid because she had said the truth when she asserted that the cause of this plot was Satan. This act of Safiyah's is an indication of her forbearance and excellence. Her intelligence and farsightedness also contributed to her freeing of the maid, for this woman who had once succumbed to the temptations of Satan could do so once more, or many times more. Keeping her away from such temptation by freeing her was a way to protect both her maid and herself. [41]

Safiyah's attitude and actions need reflection. However hard we try to unravel the mystery of this stand of hers, we come up with only one result; it is the emanation of the light of faith that imbued her nature and overwhelmed her emotions. Safiyah was the perfect example of a believer who entered into Islam completely, and the Messenger of Allah, the leader of humankind, testified to this. [42]

Safiyah and her previous husband

There is an interesting report found in many sources detailing an event where the Prophet entered upon Safiyah and noticed some brusing and marks on her face. Asking about them she detailed how her husband had become angry with her speaking about Muhammad (P) and had hit her. Such was the hatred her husband had for the Prophet (P).

When the Prophet entered Safiyyah's presence, he notice a bruise on her face; he asked her about it and she said: " I saw in a dream that a moon had fallen into my room and I informed my husband, Kinanah about it and he said: "This means naught except that you desire Al-Hijaz and Muhammad!" Then he struck me a blow to my face and this is the mark left by it." [43]

عَنِ ابْنِ عُمَرَ، قَالَ: كَانَ بِعَيْنَيْ صَفِيَّةَ خُضْرَةٌ، فَقَالَ لَهَا النَّبِيُّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ:مَا هَذِهِ الْخُضْرَةُ بِعَيْنَيْكِ؟فَق َالَتْ: قُلْتُ لِزَوْجِي: إِنِّي رَأَيْتُ فِيمَا يَرَى النَّائِمِ قَمَرًا وَقَعَ فِي حِجْرِي فَلَطَمَنِي، وَقَالَ: أَتُرِيدِينَ مَلِكَ يَثْرِبَ؟ قَالَتْ

Ibn Umar narrates: In the eye of Sayyidah Safiya was a scar. Holy Prophet (pbuh) said to her, ‘What is this scar in your eye?’ She said, ‘I mentioned before my husband that I saw a moon falling into my lap in a dream so he slapped me and said; ‘Do you long for the King of Yathrib [i.e. Holy Prophet pbuh]’ [44]

“Right above my eye,” Hazrat Safiyyah narrated, “There was a very deep yellow- or green-coloured mark. The Holy Prophet noticed it and asked, ‘What happened to you?’ I related the whole incident to him:“When the Holy Prophet had besieged Khaibar, I saw in a dream that the moon of the fourteenth night fell into my lap. When I related the dream to my husband, he slapped me and asked, ‘Do you wish to marry the king of Yathrib [Madinah was called Yathrib before the advent of Islam]?’” [45]

When the Messenger of Allah saw a greenish tinge around Safiyah's eyes, he asked her the reason, and she said: "When I was a bride, I dreamed that the sun descended upon my chest. I told my husband, Kinanah ibn Abi al-Huqayq and he slapped me very hard and said, 'Are you wishing to be the wife of the king of the Arabs?' " [46]

On their wedding day, the Prophet saw a mark on her face; when he asked her about it, she said: "One night - while I was married to Kinanah, I saw in my dream that the sun or the moon were coming from Yathrib (Madeenah) and falling in my lap. He became angry and said: "You have seen this dream because you desire the King of Hijaz, Muhammad." And he slapped my face so hard that a mark remains to this day. [47]

References:

[13] Tabarani Kabeer, Hadith 19667
    [14] Muhammad 'Ali Qutb, (2008) Women Around The Messenger, International Islamic Publishing House, p101
    [15] Muhammad Husayn Haykal, The Life of Muhammad (North American Trust Publications, 1976), p. 373
    [16] John L. Esposito, Islam: The Straight Path, pp. 19-20
    [17] See Muhammad M. as-Sawwaf, Zawjat ar-Rasul at-Tahirat wa Hikmat T'adudihinn, pp. 76-79, Cited in Muhammad Fathi Mus'ad, The Wives of the Prophet Muhammad: Their Strives and Their Lives, p.168
    [18] Abu Ya'la al-Mawsili, Musnad, vol. 13, p. 38, Cited in Muhammad Fathi Mus'ad, The Wives of the Prophet Muhammad: Their Strives and Their Lives, p.172
    [19] Faridah Mas'ood Debas (2006), The Wives of The Prophet Muhammad, International Islamic Publishing House, p.132.
    [20] Ibn Sa'd, Tabaqat, vol. 8, p.101, Cited in Muhammad Fathi Mus'ad, The Wives of the Prophet Muhammad: Their Strives and Their Lives, p.175. See also Ibn Hajr Al-Askalani, al-isabah, 7/347
    [21] Darussalam, (2004) The Honorable Wives of the Prophet, Darussalam, p.117
    [22] Muhammad 'Ali Qutb, (2008) Women Around The Messenger, International Islamic Publishing House, p.104. See also, Ibn Sa'id, At-Tabaqat, 8/125, 'Isabah Ibn Hajr al-Asqalani, 7/741, cited in Faridah Mas'ood Debas (2006), The Wives of The Prophet Muhammad, International Islamic Publishing House, p.133.
    [23] Abu Ya'la al-Mawsili, Musnad, vol. 13, p. 38, Cited in Muhammad Fathi Mus'ad, The Wives of the Prophet Muhammad: Their Strives and Their Lives, p.172
    [24] A. Guillaume (trans.), The Life of Muhammad: A translation of Ibn Ishaq's Sirat Rasul Allah (Oxford University Press, 1978), p. 515. See also Muhammad 'Ali Qutb, (2008) Women Around The Messenger, International Islamic Publishing House, p.100
    [25] Ahmad, vol.6, p. 337, Cited in Muhammad Fathi Mus'ad, The Wives of the Prophet Muhammad: Their Strives and Their Lives, p.176
    [26] Sahih al-Bukhari 4211
    [27] Imam Bukhari, “Kitabul Maghazi Bab Ghazwah Khaibar."
    [28] Ali ibn Abu Bakr al-Haythami, Majma’ al-Zawa’id, vol. 8 (Beirut: Darul Fikri, n.d.), 574.
    [29] Imam Bukhari, “Kitabul Jihad Bab Ma Yaqulu Izaa Raja’a Minal Ghazwah,” in Sahih Bukhari, n.d.
    [30] Ahmad, vol. 6, pp. 336-337, Cited in Muhammad Fathi Mus'ad, The Wives of the Prophet Muhammad: Their Strives and Their Lives, p.173. See also Musnad al-Imam Ahmad, 6/148, Cited in Faridah Mas'ood Debas (2006), The Wives of The Prophet Muhammad, International Islamic Publishing House, p.133.
    [31] Darussalam, (2004) The Honorable Wives of the Prophet, Darussalam, pp.116-117. See also Faridah Mas'ood Debas (2006), The Wives of The Prophet Muhammad, International Islamic Publishing House, pp.132-3.
    [32] Sunan al-Tirmidhî (3862) Graded Sahih by al-Albânî in Sahîh wa Da`îf Sunan al-Tirmidhî (3894) and al-Mishkât (6183) & Sahih according to Darussalam. See also Faridah Mas'ood Debas (2006), The Wives of The Prophet Muhammad, International Islamic Publishing House, p.133.
    [33] Muhammad ibn ’Isa at Tirmidhi, “Kitabul Manaaqib Bab Fadhlu Azwaajin Nabi,” in Al-Jami’ As-Sahih, n.d.
    [34] Muhammad 'Ali Qutb, (2008) Women Around The Messenger, International Islamic Publishing House, pp.102-103
    [35] Sunan Abi Dawud #4875, Saheeh according to Al-Albani in Silsilat Al-Ahadeeth As-Saheehah #901. See also Jami' At-Tirmidhi #2502 for similar narration. It is Saheeh according to Al-Albani in Al-Mishkaat #4853 & #4857.
    [36] Abu Nu'aym al Asbahani, Hilyat al-Awliya', vol. 2, p. 55, Cited in Muhammad Fathi Mus'ad, The Wives of the Prophet Muhammad: Their Strives and Their Lives, p.177
    [37] Ibn Sa'd, Tabaqat, vol.8, p.100, Cited in Muhammad Fathi Mus'ad, The Wives of the Prophet Muhammad: Their Strives and Their Lives, p.172
    [38]Ibn Kathir, Al-Bidayah wa an-Nihayah, vol. 8, p. 47, Cited in Muhammad Fathi Mus'ad, The Wives of the Prophet Muhammad: Their Strives and Their Lives, p.177
    [39]Ibn Sa'd, Tabaqat, vol. 8, p. 102, Cited in Muhammad Fathi Mus'ad, The Wives of the Prophet Muhammad: Their Strives and Their Lives, p.178
    [40] Darussalam, (2004) The Honorable Wives of the Prophet, Darussalam, p.117
    [41] Muhammad 'Ali Qutb, (2008) Women Around The Messenger, International Islamic Publishing House, p.103
    [42] Muhammad 'Ali Qutb, (2008) Women Around The Messenger, International Islamic Publishing House, p.102
    [43] Darussalam, (2004) The Honorable Wives of the Prophet, Darussalam, p.115
    [44] Tabarani Kabeer, Hadith 19668. Albani classified it as Sahih in his Silsala Sahiha H. 2793
    [45]Al-Tabarani, al-Mu’jam al-Kabir, vol. 24, n.d., 67; Ali ibn Abu Bakr al-Haythami, Majma’ al-Zawa’id, n.d., 9:404.
    [46] Muhammad 'Ali Qutb, (2008) Women Around The Messenger, International Islamic Publishing House, p100
    [47] As-Seerah an-Nabawiyah, Ibn Kathir, 3/374, Cited in Faridah Mas'ood Debas, The Wives of The Prophet Muhammad, International Islamic Publishing House, p.131.

ReputationRep:
    The wives of the Prophet gathered during his fatal illness and Safiyyah bint Huyay said:

"By Allah, O Messenger of Allah, I wish that what is afflicting you had afflicted me (instead)." The wives of the Prophet looked at one another and winked. The Messenger of Allah observed this and said to them: "Rinse your mouths". They asked him: "Why?" He said: "Because of your winking at one another over what she said; by Allah, she is sincere and truthful."

Darussalam, (2004) The Honorable Wives of the Prophet, Darussalam, p.117

ReputationRep:
    Aa’isha, Muhammad’s**wife, said, “O my nephew, we would sight three new moons in two months without lighting a fire (to cook a meal) in the Prophet’s*houses.”* Her nephew asked, “O Aunt, what sustained you?”* She said, “The two black things, dates and water, but the Prophet**had some Ansar neighbors who had milk-giving she-camels and they used to send the Prophet**some of its milk.”

*Narrated in*Saheeh Muslim, #2972, and Saheeh Al-Bukhari, #2567

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beautifulxxx)
    The Ummah is broken. Shattered like pieces of glass. Our brothers and sisters are being tortured across the globe. Their humanity is being snatched away. Their dignity has been stolen. They are being treated like animals. No respect. No tolerance. You've all seen the pictures. Whilst you're eating your yummy food, they are starving to death. When you're all tucked up in bed, they are freezing to death. You've a seen the clips. These people accept la ilaha ilalah just like you and me. Just like you and me. They are part of our family. And rather than uniting to help them, we insult one another, judge one another, hurt one another. If we were to unite, WW3 would spark because: "Hey he doesn't like my sheikh!!!!" We fight over stupid, trivial matters. We accuse each other of following ISIS. And we engage in silly conversations with narrow minded individuals. And then we say "Y'Allah why is this happening?".
    What would the prophet sallallahu alayhi wasalam say if he saw us? Are we really the people whom he brought Islam too? Whom he raised the status for? Are we...? We need to stop acting like we are one of the four Imams of Islam because we are not. Just because you know one hadith doesn't mean you are qualified to give lectures. We need to stop being so self centred and acknowledge reality. This is reality! And so is the life after. There are bigger, more crucial problems happening. Wake up and try to do something about it. Regardless if whether you appreaciate it or not, Allah created us all different. You will hate somethings about one person, deal with it! Tolerate it! We are Muslims for the love of Allah. Muslims! Act by your label. Your religion has taught you everything. Our family is crying for us, screaming for our aid, and we are fighting over who recently joined ISIS. Let the SCHOLARS of ISLAM deal with that. Please. You can go empty your pockets, and answer that cry for help. We are an ummah subhnaAllah. An Ummah. The Ummah of rasullullah sallalahu alayhi wasalam. The best man who set foot on earth. How do you expect the non Muslims to 'tolerate' us if we cannot tolerate ourselves? Enough okay. Enough.
    :yy:

Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    Out of interest, have any members here heard of the Achtiname of Muhammad and what are their views towards it?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achtiname_of_Muhammad

Tradition says that the Monastery of St Catherine's in Sinai sent a delegation asking Muhammad for his protection and that Muhammad personally granted by charter, the protection of their Monasteries and Monks. The original document is now preserved in Topkapi Museum in Instanbul.

What is of interest is that this monastery has been remarkably preserved and protected throughout history. It would seem that the protection and preservation of this Monastery was upheld and possibly supports the document? This Monastery is unique among Christian monasteries. It is the oldest continually inhabited Monastery in the world, it was home (although now is kept in British Library) the oldest most complete copy of the New Testament, it is home to the oldest icon of Jesus in the world, it has the second largest collection of early Christian manuscripts in the world (second only to the Vatican) and has what is considered the best collection of early Christian iconography in the world.

It is remarkable that these early Christian works were preserved in a rather insignificant and small Monastery in the heartland of Muslim Egypt.
    I've heard of it, and I also posted the charter before on the forum.

Another story, the Eastern Churches that were oppressed to a large extent by the Byzantines welcomed Muslims and when Umar (R.A) entered Jerusalem, he went to the front of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and the people said that the time of prayer came, and they said why don't you go inside and pray? He said no, this is a Christian Church, if I go and pray inside the Church, this model will be followed by others; the Church has to be respected and he called the Christian Bishop and promised him that that the property and the Churches of all Christians will be protected, and he put his prayer mat in the street, in front of the Church and said his prayers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beautifulxxx)
    How do you expect the non Muslims to 'tolerate' us if we cannot tolerate ourselves? Enough okay. Enough.
    My favourite non-scriptural post on this ISOC so far, excellent message . Love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ankabout)
    I'm saying you should be careful. Wouldn't want IdeasForLife to get BannedForLife.
    Thats a cool name. But yes you're right.

ReputationRep:
    Disappointed at the number of people who are unaware of the Prophet (SAW)'s letter to St. Catherine's Monastery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interact)
    Disappointed at the number of people who are unaware of the Prophet (SAW)'s letter to St. Catherine's Monastery.
    That don't include me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K1NG93)
    That don't include me.
    :hugs::hugs:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.