Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You can certainly live on less, it depends what diet and social life you are prepared to live with. However, you should check what the latest rules are on demonstrating you have the money required for the course. Ultimately, the university is a charity (as are the Colleges) and they are legally obliged to use their money prudently, and therefore they have usually required that you demonstrate you have the complete funds, at the level they set on the costs pages, before you are allowed to begin the course. There was a court case about this a few years ago (Postgrad student at St Hughs, Oxford), but the case wasn't settled definitively. I'm not sure what Cambridge's current policy is.
    From the graduate offer bocklet:

3.6 Financial Conditions
    (...)This form gives the University of Cambridge an undertaking that y ou have available in advance adequate committed financial provision to cover the full University fees, and a cost of living amount for the duration of the course.(...) If you are in any doubt about whether you have sufficient funds for your fees and living costs you should NOT sign the Financial Undertaking Form. (...)
    3.6.12 Self – funders
    If you are self - funding, the only document you need to provide is the completed Financial Undertaking Form – you d o not need to send us bank statements or a letter from your bank. Under no circumstances should you complete the financial undertaking form if you are in any doubt that you have sufficient funds for your fees and living costs. If you are subsequently found to be unable to fund your studies this may lead to the cancellation of your admission and termination of your course of study.

So I am guessing here, but this mean that we do not have to prove that we have the money?

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question. I have submitted all the documents required but my final transcript will only be out in August so I have submitted a confirmation of my results by my department at UCL to show that I have met the conditions for the offer. Is this sufficient for Cambridge to confirm the offer and give me my CAS?

I am afraid that by the time I get a hard copy of my transcript to Cambridge in August for them to give the confirmation, it would be too late for me to apply for a student visa since the pre-sessional course starts in mid-September and I am heading back for my graduation at the end of August. I've dropped them an email but didn't get a reply.

Thanks!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by slawek)
    From the graduate offer bocklet:

3.6 Financial Conditions
    (...)This form gives the University of Cambridge an undertaking that y ou have available in advance adequate committed financial provision to cover the full University fees, and a cost of living amount for the duration of the course.(...) If you are in any doubt about whether you have sufficient funds for your fees and living costs you should NOT sign the Financial Undertaking Form. (...)
    3.6.12 Self – funders
    If you are self - funding, the only document you need to provide is the completed Financial Undertaking Form – you d o not need to send us bank statements or a letter from your bank. Under no circumstances should you complete the financial undertaking form if you are in any doubt that you have sufficient funds for your fees and living costs. If you are subsequently found to be unable to fund your studies this may lead to the cancellation of your admission and termination of your course of study.

So I am guessing here, but this mean that we do not have to prove that we have the money?
    Not at the point of entry perhaps, but I suspect it would be a pre-condition to gain access to any hardship funds during the course, that you could prove you had sufficient funds in the first place, and that it is only some intervening issue that has caused financial problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Not at the point of entry perhaps, but I suspect it would be a pre-condition to gain access to any hardship funds during the course, that you could prove you had sufficient funds in the first place, and that it is only some intervening issue that has caused financial problems.
    Yes, you maybe right. I think that this solution maybe good for someone who cannot came up with the whole sum at the beginning in a single installment, for instance if someone is being supported by his/hers parents and they are able to give around 400-450 GBP per month thus, more or less, enough to pay the rent but not if they would have to pay it at once for the whole semester.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by slawek)
    Yes, you maybe right. I think that this solution maybe good for someone who cannot came up with the whole sum at the beginning in a single installment, for instance if someone is being supported by his/hers parents and they are able to give around 400-450 GBP per month thus, more or less, enough to pay the rent but not if they would have to pay it at once for the whole semester.
    The point was never that you had to pay a lump sum up front. What they won't accept are hardship claims or deferment for financial reasons if, during the course, you lose your job or your parents stop funding you etc. They don't accept that the loss of an incremental funding source is a justification for any University funding.

So you may no longer have to prove you have savings in a bank account before you start, but if you have financial troubles during the course, because some on-going, planned income stream has stopped, then "this may lead to the cancellation of your admission and termination of your course of study'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melvinyeo)
    Just a quick question. I have submitted all the documents required but my final transcript will only be out in August so I have submitted a confirmation of my results by my department at UCL to show that I have met the conditions for the offer. Is this sufficient for Cambridge to confirm the offer and give me my CAS?

I am afraid that by the time I get a hard copy of my transcript to Cambridge in August for them to give the confirmation, it would be too late for me to apply for a student visa since the pre-sessional course starts in mid-September and I am heading back for my graduation at the end of August. I've dropped them an email but didn't get a reply.

Thanks!
    I would email Cambridge about this. I don't graduate until very close to the "deadline" of the end of this month for meeting offer conditions and contacted them. They said that a transcript with all your results is not sufficient if it is not the official final transcript. If you can't get this until after the deadline they will extend it for you, but I don't know what that means with regard to your visa.

I tried asking my university to give me an official transcript quicker, but they wouldn't (Uni of Nottingham).

ReputationRep:
    Is there any hope to get a Trust full funding for MPhil now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlesanaWill)
    I would email Cambridge about this. I don't graduate until very close to the "deadline" of the end of this month for meeting offer conditions and contacted them. They said that a transcript with all your results is not sufficient if it is not the official final transcript. If you can't get this until after the deadline they will extend it for you, but I don't know what that means with regard to your visa.

I tried asking my university to give me an official transcript quicker, but they wouldn't (Uni of Nottingham).
    Thanks for your reply, I just got the same email I think. My current visa doesn't expire until October so I am hoping I will be able to apply for a visa in the UK if it comes down to that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melvinyeo)
    Thanks for your reply, I just got the same email I think. My current visa doesn't expire until October so I am hoping I will be able to apply for a visa in the UK if it comes down to that!
    Email [email protected] ac.uk with all the details of your situation: outline when you'll get the certificate, when your visa expires, when the pre-sessional is etc.

Give them a few days to reply (e.g. by the end of the week) - only call them if you've not heard anything by then. They're currently inundated with email inquiries, and the normal waiting time is a few days. (Although I'm in a completely different field, I work in the same room with people managing the CAS etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jankenstein)
    Email [email protected] ac.uk with all the details of your situation: outline when you'll get the certificate, when your visa expires, when the pre-sessional is etc.

Give them a few days to reply (e.g. by the end of the week) - only call them if you've not heard anything by then. They're currently inundated with email inquiries, and the normal waiting time is a few days. (Although I'm in a completely different field, I work in the same room with people managing the CAS etc.)
    Hey there thank you for your reply and advice, much appreciated! I've just done so hopefully they'll shed some light.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani284)
    Is there any hope to get a Trust full funding for MPhil now?
    I think it was told in this topic that all the full scholarships were given and there is only a small portion of partial scholarships left (~8k GBP/year). Can somebody please confirm?

ReputationRep:
    Dear All, I have a question regarding the language condition. I've uploaded once a test scores that do no met the University's required level and I've got a feedback from GAO that I can take it another time, as long as I will have the results before my studies starts. I've mange to pass a TOEFL with an overall score 108, however in a single section I have less then required 25. Do you think that if I upload this score and it will not be enough again they are going to cancel my offer or just still want me to pass it higher before the term starts?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any idea which colleges are full? I've been waiting for a college assignment for a little over a month now. Haha I'm starting to think I broke Cambridge... Is there a refresh button
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Newkidintown)
    Anyone have any idea which colleges are full? I've been waiting for a college assignment for a little over a month now. Haha I'm starting to think I broke Cambridge... Is there a refresh button
    They will all be 'full' by now!

1. BoGS will be going back to Colleges and politely reminding them that, whilst they are independent institutions, they are under an obligation to accommodate all students in receipt of an offer from the University.

There are various ways it goes from about now onwards,

a) Colleges have meetings and take a closer look, and find a few spaces - some will say 'we've got room for 5 more of any sort', some will say 'we've got room for one PhD ASNAC from Bermuda and 2 Masters, Historians from Africa' - BoGS will send them the closest they've got to those requests and remind them of point 1 above!

b) BOGS gets tough and sends applicant files back to the first preference College of the applicant, and reminds them of point 1.

It's a game between the University (BoGS) and the Colleges, but it does work itself out eventually.

ReputationRep:
    I was awaiting college for only two working days before I got accepted into Darwin on Monday. Have you accepted the offer from the uni yet - maybe that is holding you up? Might be worth sending an email to the BoGS?

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if I sound like a broken record. I've sent my final undergraduate transcript and financial declaration form in the post along with the cover page, do I also need to upload the form via the self service account, or is a hard copy in the post sufficient? How do I know when the conditions have been met? Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsukurutazaki)
    Apologies if I sound like a broken record. I've sent my final undergraduate transcript and financial declaration form in the post along with the cover page, do I also need to upload the form via the self service account, or is a hard copy in the post sufficient? How do I know when the conditions have been met? Thanks in advance.
    You should upload your Financial Form via Self Service.
    If the condition is met it disappears from the list of all conditions

ReputationRep:
    royal mail says my offer conditions have been delivered to cambridge on july 19. even if the admissions office don't get around to processing the documents until after july 31, i've made the deadline, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royn)
    royal mail says my offer conditions have been delivered to cambridge on july 19. even if the admissions office don't get around to processing the documents until after july 31, i've made the deadline, right?
    I don't think this is an issue at all. I'm pretty sure they've got hundreds of emails and post right now. And also in worse case scenario the graduate FAQ is saying that:

If you have made an application to start in October, we strongly recommend that you meet your offer conditions by 31 July. If this is not possible, you should try to meet the conditions as soon as possible after this date. The earlier you meet your conditions, the better, to allow for time to make accommodation and visa arrangements, if required.

http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/...at-should-i-do

ReputationRep:
    In case anyone isn't checking the website obsessively, graduate admissions have posted the following update:

"Please be aware that the Graduate Admissions Office is currently processing incoming documents within 10-15 working days of receipt. This includes documents provided electronically and by post. Many thanks for your patience at this busy time."

So if you're waiting for your documents to be accepted (like me), then it might take a little while.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.