Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)
    What information do you get given? At George's all we're told is the number of stations and the ratio of comms : clinical and 5 min : 10 min stations.
    So pretty much anything from first year can (and has) come up!

Having said that, I'm relatively certain carrying out a breast exam is going to come up in the semester 4 OSCE.
    We just get told the number of stations, and that they're all 6 mins with one 12 min; no idea about ratios of comms :clinical :anatomy at all. The rest is all heard on the grapevine. Considering how little clinical stuff we do in years 1 and 2 it is a stressful concept.

ReputationRep:
    What information do you get given? At George's all we're told is the number of stations and the ratio of comms : clinical and 5 min : 10 min stations.
    So pretty much anything from first year can (and has) come up!
    Think yourself lucky! We are told that there will be fifteen stations all five minutes long. Bugger all more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Think yourself lucky! We are told that there will be fifteen stations all five minutes long. Bugger all more.
    If you think that's lucky you'll be surprised to realise that some medical schools apparently leak what actual stations come up the day before the exam!

ReputationRep:
    If you think that's lucky you'll be surprised to realise that some medical schools apparently leak what actual stations come up the day before the exam!
    I'm jealous!

And I actually, more objectively speaking, think that's a better system.

ReputationRep:
    I remember a letter in sBMJ (or maybe Medical Student) a few years back arguing for releasing the station list to everyone.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    We get the list released about a week before the exam (of the actual stations) but this is stopping after year 2 (I'm not sure if they're just not doing it anymore at all, or whether they always stop doing it for year 3 onwards)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    We get the list released about a week before the exam (of the actual stations) but this is stopping after year 2 (I'm not sure if they're just not doing it anymore at all, or whether they always stop doing it for year 3 onwards)
    Given I still had a list released for my osce today, it's not happening yet
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    Given I still had a list released for my osce today, it's not happening yet
    Well damn. I got told on placement that we wouldn't be getting the list after second year :sad: That's so unfair :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well damn. I got told on placement that we wouldn't be getting the list after second year :sad: That's so unfair :p:
    Well, we've gotten screwed over so many times, it's only fair the younger years do occasionally
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Well, we've gotten screwed over so many times, it's only fair the younger years do occasionally
    True. The reduced Psych and the lack of research paper sort of makes up for it :p: What's on your OSCE?

ReputationRep:
    True. The reduced Psych and the lack of research paper sort of makes up for it :p: What's on your OSCE?
    My OSCE was (what the station actually involved is in brackets)
    - mental state examination (watch a video, answer some questions)
    - data interpretation and prescribing (SSRI induced hyponatraemia)
    - communication skills - information gathering risk assessment (assessing a 16 yr old who'd taken a paracetamol OD)
    - communication skills - information giving dementia (explaining to a patients relative about Alzheimers)
    - log book
    - communication skills - explanation and planning depression (explaining the drug treatments for depression)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Tried to dye mine red (mahogany-ish) this morning. I'm still blonde :facepalm:
    if you have properly blonde hair (not just a ****load of highlights) you need to pre-dye it. best to go to a hairdresser
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    My OSCE was (what the station actually involved is in brackets)
    - mental state examination (watch a video, answer some questions)
    - data interpretation and prescribing (SSRI induced hyponatraemia)
    - communication skills - information gathering risk assessment (assessing a 16 yr old who'd taken a paracetamol OD)
    - communication skills - information giving dementia (explaining to a patients relative about Alzheimers)
    - log book
    - communication skills - explanation and planning depression (explaining the drug treatments for depression)
    I couldn't do any of those :p: (Well obviously logbooks but not your ones :p:) Although I have come across thiazide induced hyponatraemia :p: I'm assuming that that was your Psych end of module OSCE? :p:

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't do any of those :p: (Well obviously logbooks but not your ones :p:) Although I have come across thiazide induced hyponatraemia :p: I'm assuming that that was your Psych end of module OSCE? :p:
    Unsurprisingly, yes it was :p: My logbooks weren't brilliant this time but then it being (hopefully) the last time I have to do them, I couldn't really be bothered to put in a lot of effort :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I remember a letter in sBMJ (or maybe Medical Student) a few years back arguing for releasing the station list to everyone.
    I'm in two minds about it. To be fair I probably wouldn't put so much effort into preparing for an OSCE if a list was released. I think OSCEs should be assessed in terms of overall global rating rather than conforming to a tick-box culture, which doesn't really work in a 'real-life' clinical setting.

ReputationRep:
    So, we have to do ao rhumatology essay and a little pep talk. Upto 10 pages apparently, I think most people are getting toward the higher end of that. Now, I just tried to sell my pet topic (Prion disease) to the Prof. If I can make it Rhumatological, I can do it...this might be difficult. Instead of doing TSEs, I might have to switch and do something else, bugger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    So, we have to do ao rhumatology [sic] essay and a little pep talk.
    Which site?!?!
    • PS Helper

(Original post by Mushi_master)
    Absolutely! So many lectures - plus an OSCE where information is very sparse and vague *wishes it was still year 1*
    ahh the OSCE sounds like such a challenge- I'm on GP Soc and we held an OSCE revision session and just watching everyone made me nervous for next year (should I get that far!) Good luck though, I'm sure you'll do great!

ReputationRep:
    I dont have an osce or any exams since November!! Im pretty much finished now whooooooooop!! There was a hospital visit today for the first years brought back memories of my nervousness and quietness in the hospitals

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone access this? Would be eternally grateful!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16582901

Nature. 2006 May 11;441(7090):179-85. Epub 2006 Apr 2.
    A mutation in Orai1 causes immune deficiency by abrogating CRAC channel function.
    Feske S, Gwack Y, Prakriya M, Srikanth S, Puppel SH, Tanasa B, Hogan PG, Lewis RS, Daly M, Rao A.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.