Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Current Year 12 Thread Mark I (2013-2014) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibbz2)
    :lol:
    Nice to see you're having a good laugh at my expense. I'll join in too :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno836)
    but maths is awesome :O how could yo do that

so do i ... and i am on Tuesday :woo:
    11 days for me:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I love this instrumental

ReputationRep:
    I'm enroling tommorow, starting September 9th, and get my timetable that morning... I just want to start now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvasiveRose)
    I don't feel the same away about it anymore, after having had really bad teachers from Yr 7-11, including one teacher who didn't know what GCSE's were :sigh:

I start school on Wednesday (enrol on Tuesday)
    haha oh dear :facepalm: i like majority of my teachers but i guess it matters a lot more if they like you

(Original post by Red Fox)
    11 days for me:rolleyes:
    hahaha enjoy the wait :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Eeeee so excited!
    I am probably being really naive, but I can't wait to get started on a good foot, and really work hard.
    Is that weird?

Who starts on the 11th?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)
    What's your opinion on abortion?

(Did I take it to the next level too quickly?)
    Just a bit there. :P I personally don't agree with abortion as he/she is a potential life which will develop their own personality. It seem cruel to take it away. I understand that scientists say that in the first few weeks it's painless, but it's a life that could go on to do great things.

However, there are difficult situations when it comes to this topic. Disabilities and medical issues can pose a big problem, but it can work out. I remember watching a documentary on a couple who have dwarfism who went on to have four children, only one was passed on the genes, but they all lived a prosperous life and the children didn't mind the situation they were in. Their parents where still "normal" parents to them.

Then comes the issue of rape, but I believe the child can be given up for adoption. This can be risky as many people say adoption is either hit or miss for the child, but it's better to give them a chance in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ava-)
    Eeeee so excited!
    I am probably being really naive, but I can't wait to get started on a good foot, and really work hard.
    Is that weird?

Who starts on the 11th?
    so am i! never been this keen to start school again

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's not that weird

I decided against picking Maths because it would add alot more unwanted workload upon my other AS subjects (2 essay type)and I probably would have migraines if I tried to revise it (after my Yr 11 exams )

Not alot of people pick classical civilisation. What attracted you to the subject? :eyebrow:
    I would like to take on an English degree at university and really needed another essay based subject. I think Classical Civilisation is so broad and exciting. I'm particularly looking forward to study the architecture side of it.

ReputationRep:
    haha oh dear :facepalm: i like majority of my teachers but i guess it matters a lot more if they like you

hahaha enjoy the wait :yy:
    I guess you like being the teacher favourite then... :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I guess you like being the teacher favourite then... :laugh:
    haha not entirely but i do find the student-teacher bond very important to success and i'm not always the favourite :rolleyes: but i am in maths and science definitely ;D haha :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)
    Oh my god, first day of AS levels.

What. The. Hell.

Just looking through the pages in my C1/C2 Maths textbook creates a sickly feeling in my stomach. D:

Is it too late to drop out of Sixth Form and become a rapper instead?
    SAME
    I'm gonna die
    I think I'll become a binwoman

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow! You guys are starting Sixth Form quite late compared to mine. I start next week on the 3rd, but I'm really excited because I got into the Sixth Form I wanted to and I just love the subjects I'm going to take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YanaIguana)
    Just a bit there. :P I personally don't agree with abortion as he/she is a potential life which will develop their own personality. It seem cruel to take it away. I understand that scientists say that in the first few weeks it's painless, but it's a life that could go on to do great things.

However, there are difficult situations when it comes to this topic. Disabilities and medical issues can pose a big problem, but it can work out. I remember watching a documentary on a couple who have dwarfism who went on to have four children, only one was passed on the genes, but they all lived a prosperous life and the children didn't mind the situation they were in. Their parents where still "normal" parents to them.

Then comes the issue of rape, but I believe the child can be given up for adoption. This can be risky as many people say adoption is either hit or miss for the child, but it's better to give them a chance in my opinion.
    I wasn't expecting quite a thought out response as the one given, but it looks great - your views create a good standpoint for me to discuss this with you.

However, the idea of a soul is one you seem to have circumvented. The mother goes through a lot of strain in the 9 months leading up to childbirth, the birth itself, and then caring for the child while it's still a (cute) little infant. A lot of physical, emotional, and physiological pain. All by herself.

And I believe she has the right to ask for an abortion if she should wish. I'm not saying that it should provide an alternative to contraception, but I'm saying I'd prefer the law to be slanted in preference of abortion rather than against it.

This is largely due to my belief in an everlasting soul; that the true Self of the child isn't, or can't, ever be destroyed. In addition, there's the idea of predeterminism which I believe in. If a child is aborted... then it may have been for the best.

With any luck, I'm surrounded by intelligent people who would welcome my viewpoint rather than instantly shout 'BABYKILLER' as happens on other online communities which I've been a part of.

ReputationRep:
    Hurry up Thursday, I want to see how everything is going to work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YanaIguana)
    I would like to take on an English degree at university and really needed another essay based subject. I think Classical Civilisation is so broad and exciting. I'm particularly looking forward to study the architecture side of it.

haha not entirely but i do find the student-teacher bond very important to success and i'm not always the favourite :rolleyes: but i am in maths and science definitely ;D haha :lol:
    An English degree sounds nice and who wouldn't like studying a bit of architecture

Who wouldn't. I was only the favourite in English, French and ICT (other subjects I didn't have much bond with the teachers as I refused to participate unless asked )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucas.)
    I'm enroling tommorow, starting September 9th, and get my timetable that morning... I just want to start now.
    Good luck and have fun (if that's possible)...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    An English degree sounds nice and who wouldn't like studying a bit of architecture

Who wouldn't. I was only the favourite in English, French and ICT (other subjects I didn't have much bond with the teachers as I refused to participate unless asked )
    haha i was liked by all teachers except one :unimpressed: .. but not favourite :P .. one teacher i was undecided as she wouldn't give me above 17 in any english CA, even after 2 re-sits

ReputationRep:
    3k posts before the year has even started :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think I was generally liked by most of my teachers. I didn' t talk much and just got on with the work :laugh:
    Liked but not favourite
    What did this 1 teacher have against you? :eyebrow:
    So I'm guessing this other teacher gave you low coursemarks, yet was very friendly with you. Interesting...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.