Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hugoalmeida)
    Lool really? Well I guess nothing can be perfect... i want to do civil engineering... civil engineering also depending on which branch has the capability of stretching you away from family.. but there are office jobs also
    Most IBD jobs don't have specific requirements to enter regardless. Going to certain universities will be the things which will benefit an applicant. Markets side usually require quant/industry related degrees i.e Economics/Finance/Maths, nonetheless.

Along with Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE; UCL and Warwick, the remaining members of the G5, are also top Universities to break into the profession from. After the G5:

• Durham/Edinburgh/Nottingham/Bristol
    • Cass Business School (London)
    • York/Bath/St Andrews
    • King’s/Manchester

However, after G5, the degree you do does start to become more relevant. For example, theoretically, it would be ‘easier’ for someone with a Geography degree from Oxford to get into Banking than someone with a Geography degree from York.

Please note that this does not mean that if you do Mathematics at Oxford you are certain to get a position in Banking - your extra curricular activities, work experience, CV, cover letter, contracts and interview technique will all count.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Investment_Banking

Civil Engineering at UCL can land you an interview, given you do the relevant activities and show your motivation.

You can also take a look at this. Scroll down to the section regarding universities: http://www.wikijob.co.uk/wiki/investment-banking

..although investment banks do accept applications from all university graduates. Attending LSE/UCL/ Warwick/ Imperial/Cass Business School is also beneficial.

The majority of the intake top tier front office roles at the top 6 investment banks, namely Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Citigroup, UBS and JPMorgan will come from the top 6 universities on the list.

Below that, candidates from universities further down the list will find it easier to get into middle-office or back-office roles, and may be able to access front-office roles at non-big 6 banks such as ABN Amro, BNP Paribas and Commerzbank.
    UCL is considered a target university, anyhow.

Targets include: Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick/Imperial/UCL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenorebrem)
    Yh I can see where your coming from.
    I think most admissions tutors want someone passionate about their subject. I definitely am and tbh I am even considering doing a PhD and doing research, but for now I'm gonna aim to towards banking, as the money is just ridiculous and I kind of want the opportunity to buy my parents and family cool stuff.
    Yeah I'm applying this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You've completely confused me, your going to lean towards banking now and do phd in maths later or the other way round?

ReputationRep:
    Somali women also produced the single biggest number of super models in any ethnic group in Africa, to date more than 20 internationally known models. They are also hard workers, hustlers and business minded. They run the Somali empire.

This girl is half-Somali (father) half-Filipino and her name is Amira Ahmed.

Somali is very ancient culture and its well known they are descendants of the Ancient Egyptians.

For dress down or at home, every day, Somali women wear the Baati/Shiid, which is low quality version of the Dirah. It's made from another material and not silk often just normal regular materials and its heavier.
    Many of Somali culture is ancient and long preserved tradition

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    Incredibly bright, integrity, committed, sociable (IBD/Sales), good use of initiative, numeric (most quant focused positions), willing to go the extra mile (there may be times you'll be asked to do things that are morally questionable). You have to be good at your job. There are many divisions within a bank, each do different things so require a different skill set.

There's trading, for example (who operate in secondary market i.e Fixed Income / Equities / Commodities) - which has mostly turned to market making who take advantage of arbitrage opportunities across different exchanges to sell shares to clients.

Other traders such as those who work in derivatives offer hedging products to help clients mitigate the risk of financial losses on their portfolios.

There's IBD (Investment Banking Division) who work with business transactions. They help in primary markets, either by assisting businesses raise funds in whereby they issue IPOs or debt and then sales push it to other financial institutions to buy. This is then released into the secondary markets which is most commonly referred to as the stock markets in whereby prop traders will determine whether a companies stock will rise or fall given fundamental and technical analysis. The IBD side would most likely assist businesses with whatever their needs are, offer advice and help them achieve there goals.

M&A is a sub sect of IBD who help companies either merge or take over other companies. They work on due-diligence, financial planning and execution and would work on massive long-term projects (these are the guys who usually work the longest hours).

It's not necessarily miserable, if you have an interest in finance. The job itself is quite enjoyable, in my opinion. It's stressful but then that's expected if you're working with incredibly enormous amounts of money and a lot of responsibility is put on you. It's a continuous learning experience and it's invaluable to career progression. It's a status symbol as well. Being an Investment Banker is right up there in the most prestigious job, given the elitism of the industry. They make the most on average as to any other professional widespread careers.
    Lmao how I wish I understood all of that...
    I can see you've really given it your all and so I sincerely hope it works out for you inshaaA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biryani007)
    Lmao how I wish I understood all of that...
    I can see you've really given it your all and so I sincerely hope it works out for you inshaaA.
    Fml, I've spent so much time in the Investment Banking & Consultancy forums I forget that people don't understand the financial jargon. That sub-forum will be the death of my social interaction skills.

ReputationRep:
    At the expense of getting to see them regularly? That's a new one.

Investment Banking and Family don't go together, to be perfectly honest with you. I wish that was an exaggeration.
    I'm only planning on doing it for 4-7 years, after that I'm gone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hugoalmeida)
    You've completely confused me, your going to lean towards banking now and do phd in maths later or the other way round?
    Im not sure what I want to do tbh. I'm just going to where life takes me I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Fml, I've spent so much time in the Investment Banking & Consultancy forums I forget that people don't understand the financial jargon. That sub-forum will be the death of my social interaction skills.
    Haha don't worry about it, you'll soon be surrounded by people that will understand every word so it doesn't matter...plus it was on the topic of Investment Banking, using all those terms was kinda necessary, so it doesn't reflect your social interaction skills at all really...besides from the fact that it shows you're talkative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuliusSeizure)
    Somali women also produced the single biggest number of super models in any ethnic group in Africa, to date more than 20 internationally known models. They are also hard workers, hustlers and business minded. They run the Somali empire.

This girl is half-Somali (father) half-Filipino and her name is Amira Ahmed.

Somali is very ancient culture and its well known they are descendants of the Ancient Egyptians.

For dress down or at home, every day, Somali women wear the Baati/Shiid, which is low quality version of the Dirah. It's made from another material and not silk often just normal regular materials and its heavier.
    Many of Somali culture is ancient and long preserved tradition

The third person is not real. Her neck is far too long.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey Abdul,

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask you but the route the current discussion is going, I guessed people wouldn't mind. Anyhow I'm planning to take a gap year to apply for economics. My question is where do you suggest I look at for work placement/ intern. Right now the only thing I have managed to secure is at a tuition centre teaching maths. Do I have to contact individual banks/ films independently or are there any programmes tailored to gap year students. I have only managed to come across programmes for undergrads. Also what do you suggest I do during my gap year to make my university application more competitive.

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenorebrem)
    I'm only planning on doing it for 4-7 years, after that I'm gone.
    So you'll go through the long process of securing SWs / Summer internships / go through grad recruitment process (3-6 months), only to leave after 4 years?

Unless you work at a FTSE 100 company (which you'll have to sacrifice your pay) afterwards or get head hunted into a HF, why would you want to leave?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuliusSeizure)
    You guys are so beautiful man!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bandit_mo)
    Hey Abdul,

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask you but the route the current discussion is going, I guessed people wouldn't mind. Anyhow I'm planning to take a gap year to apply for economics. My question is where do you suggest I look at for work placement/ intern. Right now the only thing I have managed to secure is at a tuition centre teaching maths. Do I have to contact individual banks/ films independently or are there any programmes tailored to gap year students. I have only managed to come across programmes for undergrads. Also what do you suggest I do during my gap year to make my university application more competitive.

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I made a thread recently with regards to helping 6th form students get a foot into professional careers. I'm pretty sure you could tailor it to suit you. Here's the extract:

For those students aspiring to enter a career in the professional industries i.e Law/Banking/Accountancy/Insurance/Consulting there are a number of opportunities you can seek out during your time studying for A levels.

Given the high degree of competition in these sectors, you will need to make an informed decision as to whether firstly the job is right for you and secondly the route needed to get there. Gaining a first hand insight into these professions via insight schemes/work experience/interns during your A levels may also help you when applying to university courses or further jobs down the line.

1) A good place to start would be Student Ladder which gives an overview of what opportunities are available:

http://www.studentladder.co.uk/Work-...xperience.html

Examples of firms that offer experience:

Bank of America Merrill Lynch
    Credit Suisse
    Morgan Stanley
    HSBC
    RBS
    PwC
    McKinsey
    Ernst & Young

All you simply have to do is check if you fit the application criteria and apply. Generally they ask for Predicted Grades (i.e Banking has AAB) and if you're filtered through you get a numerical & verbal reasoning test.

2) Another way to get involved would be through recruitment agencies assisting 6th form students getting work experience in professional industries. There are two organisations that I'm a part of who were able to offer me countless opportunities.

These agencies generally take students from disadvantaged backgrounds and ethnic minorities to develop their competencies and understanding of life in the City. Generally admissions requires strong A level predicted grades/AS grades and an interview however it is definitely worth the effort, if you make it through. If successful, with SEO you are assigned a personal mentor who guides you through the application processes and CV/Cover letter writing.

3) Most people know someone who works in the industry they're aspiring to go to. This is one of the simplest way to get exposure into a particular field which looks good on your CV as it shows initiative. Simply ask a relative of a family friend to offer you a week experience, even if it's shadowing. It may seem obvious but a lot of people miss out on said opportunities which really adds value to their character.

I'd strongly advise taking advantage of said opportunities, as they're definitely useful and a great chance to network. Also networking is a vital part if you're successfully permitted on to these programmes. Stay in touch with the people you meet, a good way is to set up a LinkedIn account so people can track your progress and you can easily send mail/questions. LinkedIn is essentially a Facebook for professionals and a page would look something like this:

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/abdul-karim-ali/94/4b7/bab

If you have any questions about the application processes or other means of finding opportunities post below.
    Given you're taking a gap year, if you want to improve your UCAS application Gap Year Programmes can be an option (or you can just travel or volunteer – grow and have fun, but do make sure you are doing something meaningful). You should bear in mind these programmes are again popular at the Big 4 (accounting firms) but not so much banks. However, any form of experience at this stage is incredible and should not be underestimated in positioning you well. You would be surprised how many apply for First Year Spring Weeks at university with significant experience already under their belt. Some opportunities include:

Accenture
    Bank of England
    Deloitte

I wouldn't necessarily worry about the division or institution, the key here is to build your professional corporate experience. These programmes are all paid, by the way

I would ask this question on the IB&C forums to see whether others could be of more assistance.

All the best.

ReputationRep:
    I made a thread recently with regards to helping 6th form students get a foot into professional careers. I'm pretty sure you could tailor it to suit you. Here's the extract:

Given you're taking a gap year, if you want to improve your UCAS application Gap Year Programmes can be an option (or you can just travel or volunteer – grow and have fun, but do make sure you are doing something meaningful). You should bear in mind these programmes are again popular at the Big 4 (accounting firms) but not so much banks. However, any form of experience at this stage is incredible and should not be underestimated in positioning you well. You would be surprised how many apply for First Year Spring Weeks at university with significant experience already under their belt. Some opportunities include:

Accenture
    Bank of England
    Deloitte

I wouldn't necessarily worry about the division or institution, the key here is to build your professional corporate experience. These programmes are all paid, by the way

I would ask this question on the IB&C forums to see whether others could be of more assistance.

All the best.
    Thanks I didn't see this thread. Will definitely subscribe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canttellyou)
    Ikr there's a reason in the western world that they are always looking for 'fresh young minds'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To be honest **** the western world we don't need them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAddict)
    Warya what does qabil mean?
    Lmao I don't know if I used 'warya' correctly :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAddict)
    Ahaha we don't but they're the ones fuelling all of this trouble.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnimeCrazy)
    I'm pretty sure they are all finished!
    Just found one...'gu family book' and it is ongoing (through seasons).
    Top researcher out here....yh...

ReputationRep:
    I love how biryani is a part of this soc.. Shes too jokes :lol: <3

Btww peeeeeps lets do soundcloud tomorrow. I wanna hear ya'lls accents. Those times in the old thread were sooo funny esp abdulkarims chavvy west london accent and his bars. The time you went 'i ain't a paedo but i gotta get some p doe' (or something along those lines) made me LOL for daysss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abzey_97)
    Just found one...'gu family book' and it is ongoing (through seasons).
    Top researcher out here....yh...
    ... Your welcome? I give you a couple more than the one your looking for an no thanks? Lol And I have a rule, don't watch anything more than 21 episodes. So why would I lookfor something like Empress ki and Gu Family?,even though my bae Lee Sung Gi is in gu family book.

Have fun looking for whatever it was your looking for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.