Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by surina16)
    Literally same - feels like you read my mind :lol:
    Everytime it comes to English my brain just turns off Done the same as you - made a few predictions for Monday's and Friday's exams, but I honestly feel like I'm just going to have to wing them and rely on my CAs
    Haha well you know what they say about great minds
    Although I wish mine as a bit greater so I could actually REVISE IT with some comfort...
    I haven't even thought about Friday's yet...think I'm just going to have to rely on the gods at Edexcel to make it an easy one as poetry will be the reason for my death (amen)
    And same here! That's honestly why I tried to make my CAs as good as possible so they can help me through my journey got an A overall for lit and an A* for language so fingers crossed I'll do well - I'm desperate for an A in literature!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    It's tricky isn't it? And I do Edexcel
    It really is All i've done so far is collect quotes for each character and do the predicted questions I really don't know how to revise
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    It really is All i've done so far is collect quotes for each character and do the predicted questions I really don't know how to revise
    Are you allowed the books with you? Cause we are so I'm not memorising any quotes as there's no point. Also all our questions are based on extracts so it would be useless to anyway. I also have no idea how to revise for it so I think I'm just going to wing them and hope for the best...

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    How do you structure your essay when comparing two poems ? What do you use, I use PEDAL what about you guys ?
    I don't have an acronym but I just write about the content, mood and atmosphere, ideas, words and phrases that stand out and finally response. Then i compare the second poem with the first whilst writing about the second poem.

The procrastination has been STRONG today 😁
    It's English I swear, every time I try to revise it I just want to sleep!!
    All I've managed to do is make notes on what's come up for English lit since 2011 and try to make some predictions from that. It's easy for omam but really hard for animal farm as they could literally ask anything!
    In a bit ill start making essay starters for omam on the predictions I've made, it might be stimulating enough for me to actually not want to give up haha
    I don't think I'll ever be ready for English but what can you do eh
    I swear, this is the same for me! I hate English so much that I keep trying to avoid it! The fact that they can ask anything frightens me!

ReputationRep:
    Are you allowed the books with you? Cause we are so I'm not memorising any quotes as there's no point. Also all our questions are based on extracts so it would be useless to anyway. I also have no idea how to revise for it so I think I'm just going to wing them and hope for the best...
    Wait, you are allowed to take the books with you? What exam board do you do because I do WJEC and we have to memorise it! So lucky!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by sahra30013)
    I don't have an acronym but I just write about the content, mood and atmosphere, ideas, words and phrases that stand out and finally response. Then i compare the second poem with the first whilst writing about the second poem.

I swear, this is the same for me! I hate English so much that I keep trying to avoid it! The fact that they can ask anything frightens me!
    Same here I hate it so much so this week will be hell as 2 of my exams are English! And same I've been avoiding it so much
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wait, you are allowed to take the books with you? What exam board do you do because I do WJEC and we have to memorise it! So lucky!
    Yeah! With Edexcel we're allowed clean copies of our texts in the exam!
    I didn't realise that other boards didn't allow it - I'd be so screwed if I was in your position
    This year is the first year that they're making us have a blank anthology too - last year and before were for some reason allowed to take in their ANNOTATED poetry anthology!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! With Edexcel we're allowed clean copies of our texts in the exam!
    I didn't realise that other boards didn't allow it - I'd be so screwed if I was in your position
    This year is the first year that they're making us have a blank anthology too - last year and before were for some reason allowed to take in their ANNOTATED poetry anthology!!!
    Wait, you also have an anthology! We only used the anthology for our coursework. In the exam, there are just random poems we have to annotate- better known as unseen poetry.

Same here I hate it so much so this week will be hell as 2 of my exams are English! And same I've been avoiding it so much
    I'm crying! I just hope something comes up that I can answer. I really want an A.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wait, you also have an anthology! We only used the anthology for our coursework. In the exam, there are just random poems we have to annotate- better known as unseen poetry.

I'm crying! I just hope something comes up that I can answer. I really want an A.
    Oh my goodness wow I am glad we do Edexcel now your board sounds demonic!!
    We also have to do unseen but the poem has to be written by one of 15 poets (last year's was Maya Angelou so the good ones gone already ) and apparently they choose one where the meaning isn't too hidden so the majority of candidates can do well.

And I hope that they're kind too as I know if I panic during the exam then nothing is getting written and certainly not to a good standard! I'm desperate for an A too *fingers crossed* although I've progressed a lot as this time last year I was scraping Ds

So do you sit 2 lit exams then (one on prose and one on poetry)? Cause that's what we do so I was just wondering if you do the same

ReputationRep:
    Yep i have to memorise quotes because we have no books - great !!
    Oh ok ours is usually on characters - essay question although we do have an extract question
    If i wing an exam - i will actually cry when i come back home

ReputationRep:
    The procrastination has been STRONG today 😁
    It's English I swear, every time I try to revise it I just want to sleep!!
    All I've managed to do is make notes on what's come up for English lit since 2011 and try to make some predictions from that. It's easy for omam but really hard for animal farm as they could literally ask anything!
    In a bit ill start making essay starters for omam on the predictions I've made, it might be stimulating enough for me to actually not want to give up haha
    I don't think I'll ever be ready for English but what can you do eh
    Same English makes want to sleep!! My boyfriend ended up coming over and we revised OMAM together. Less daunting when you work with someone so we did about 2 hours

ReputationRep:

You do the same board as me !! What books do you do ? Also do have to memorise the quotes and no books allowed
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yep i have to memorise quotes because we have no books - great !!
    Oh ok ours is usually on characters - essay question although we do have an extract question
    If i wing an exam - i will actually cry when i come back home
    I feel bad for complaining when all you lot have it so much worse!
    The only thing weird about ours is that in the Animal Farm question parts b and c ask you to use named LANGUAGE features in your response, even though it is a LITERATURE exam
    For animal farm we have 2 questions based on the extract and then the last one (part c) we have to find our own extract - this is where most of my time goes!
    For of mice and men we are given a choice between 2 questions, one is on a character and one is on a theme. We have to relate it to the whole book AND the social and historical context of the novel and when it was written. This is by far the easiest question in the exam although it might not sound like it.
    I've always winged English and it never goes really well - I can usually wing a B but it's not like revision would have made it any better as tbh what can you even prepare for as they have unlimited options of stuff to ask!

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE 21/05/16:

1. Maths past paper
    2. OMAM George essay question
    3.Poetry analysed
    4. P1 past paper
    5. LOTF - Piggy quotes + essay question
    6. AVFTB -added Beatrice quotes + essay question

ReputationRep:
    I feel bad for complaining when all you lot have it so much worse!
    The only thing weird about ours is that in the Animal Farm question parts b and c ask you to use named LANGUAGE features in your response, even though it is a LITERATURE exam
    For animal farm we have 2 questions based on the extract and then the last one (part c) we have to find our own extract - this is where most of my time goes!
    For of mice and men we are given a choice between 2 questions, one is on a character and one is on a theme. We have to relate it to the whole book AND the social and historical context of the novel and when it was written. This is by far the easiest question in the exam although it might not sound like it.
    I've always winged English and it never goes really well - I can usually wing a B but it's not like revision would have made it any better as tbh what can you even prepare for as they have unlimited options of stuff to ask!
    IKR !! When i first heard it, i nearly hard a heart attack - ok not a heart attack but yeh i was shocked
    Same for OMAM - two questions i think one character and extract

ReputationRep:
    Oh my goodness wow I am glad we do Edexcel now your board sounds demonic!!
    We also have to do unseen but the poem has to be written by one of 15 poets (last year's was Maya Angelou so the good ones gone already ) and apparently they choose one where the meaning isn't too hidden so the majority of candidates can do well.

And I hope that they're kind too as I know if I panic during the exam then nothing is getting written and certainly not to a good standard! I'm desperate for an A too *fingers crossed* although I've progressed a lot as this time last year I was scraping Ds

So do you sit 2 lit exams then (one on prose and one on poetry)? Cause that's what we do so I was just wondering if you do the same
    I know right! Wow, Edexcek sounds amazing compared to WJEC. In the unseen poetry, we don't know the poets and I don't think any poets that have their poems in their anthology has ever come up. So lucky, I usually find the two poems they chose very hard and takes me ages just to find the hidden meaning.

You're just like me! I also panic easily on the exam and I also start to worry a lot! Hopefully we will get those A's! And well done, you should be proud of how much you've improved!

Yes, we do literature papers. In the first paper, the first section you have to answer two questions(extract and essay) on the text you've studied- in this case Anita and Me for me. In section two, or B, you have one hour to write about two unseen poems and compare them.

In the second paper, which is on Friday, you have two sections of which you answer an extract and essay question on two other texts you've studied. In this case, A view from the bridge and a Christmas Carol for me. I have to learn so much, it's stressing me. Well, I have to hope for the best and remember that I've tried hard and started my revision early,

ReputationRep:
    You do the same board as me !! What books do you do ? Also do have to memorise the quotes and no books allowed
    Anita and me, a view from the bridge and a Christmas Carol.
    You?

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE 21/05/16:

1. Maths past paper
    2. OMAM George essay question
    3.Poetry analysed
    4. P1 past paper
    5. LOTF - Piggy quotes + essay question
    6. AVFTB -added Beatrice quotes + essay question
    Well done today! You've done a lot! Keep up the good work! I'm sure your hard work will pay off!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I know right! Wow, Edexcek sounds amazing compared to WJEC. In the unseen poetry, we don't know the poets and I don't think any poets that have their poems in their anthology has ever come up. So lucky, I usually find the two poems they chose very hard and takes me ages just to find the hidden meaning.

You're just like me! I also panic easily on the exam and I also start to worry a lot! Hopefully we will get those A's! And well done, you should be proud of how much you've improved!

Yes, we do literature papers. In the first paper, the first section you have to answer two questions(extract and essay) on the text you've studied- in this case Anita and Me for me. In section two, or B, you have one hour to write about two unseen poems and compare them.

In the second paper, which is on Friday, you have two sections of which you answer an extract and essay question on two other texts you've studied. In this case, A view from the bridge and a Christmas Carol for me. I have to learn so much, it's stressing me. Well, I have to hope for the best and remember that I've tried hard and started my revision early,
    Wowee that sounds like hell! Why would a school choose to do that to their pupils?

I'm also hopeless at analysing poems which is why I'm glad that we went through the anthology poems as a class and I've also got the internet where I can find more notes if I need to...unseen is still gonna be a killer though!

We do 2 as well - Monday's is the prose one (sect A animal farm and sect B of mice and men) and Friday's the poetry one (sect A we're given a named anthology poem and the question goes something along the lines of 'explore how the writers of [poem] and one other poem of your choice from the clashes and collisions collection present ideas about [theme].' It's quite nice tbh as a lot of the poems can be compared really easily. Sect B is the unseen).

And yeah you have been preparing for a long time! I've literally waited until now to get started, hence why I'm panicking!

Good luck for your exams and let's hope we get our As!

ReputationRep:
    Update 21/05/2016
    Well, the worst exam is next week, English literature. I'm so scared that I won't get an A let alone an A*! I just hope the examiners are kind this year, even though last year's paper was good.

- two past papers core unit- one of them I achieved a B and the other A*(100%). Finally!
    - made some cards on what to look out for in unseen poetry and common symbols
    - read some tips on unseen poetry and watched videos on it
    - learned some quotes in Anita and me and learned the characters Meena, Sam and Anita.
    - tried to analyse a poem- don't know if it is good enough

This might look like I haven't done a lot but this took me ages.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.