Training Contracts 2015 - Let the Games Begin Watch

Eden's moustache
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi all,

Sorry as this is not directly related to the thread, but:

Could anybody here who has done the Slaughter and May vac scheme this summer give me a shout. I start the non-law scheme on Monday and would appreciate it if I could message you to discuss how you found it etc.

Thanks guys.
desperateforaTC
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ihkl4evz)
I don't see there bring any problem putting down vac schemes from which you haven't been offered a TC. I had the job of/the opportunity to explain three previous schemes. They're 'evidence of your motivation and commitment to work in this industry' blah blah etc etc.

I presume you're getting through to assessment centres/interview etc, not just being turned down at application stage? If so, I hope you don't mind me asking but when they ask about your vac scheme, what sort of thing do you say?

Personally I'd emphasise the interesting work you were able to do there, tell a little bit about that, but then conclude by pre-empting the question that's on their mind: why not them. Don't approach this by putting the other firm down or by saying that you weren't offered a TC (if they want this info, they will ask!); rather, distinguish the firm you're interviewing for by noting their strengths, e.g I really enjoyed my time in the linklaters banking department and was involved in this really interesting transaction blah blah [pointing out the things you enjoyed as attributes which it shares with the firm you're interviewing for], but ultimately CC has a much stronger private equity practice and this is the sort of work I'd be really interested in doing.

Also (and I presume you haven't done this, but just to cover all bases) don't go into the bit about what grad rec said. Yeah, whilst it shows how strong you performed throughout the scheme, the bit about partner interview could be interpreted very not in your favour. No need to give them any extra ammunition!

Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I completely agree with what you've said and if only my problem were the interviews but it seems that I have been rejected at the application stage from all the firms I applies to and did not even reach AC stage. That is why I am concerned that I am going wrong somewhere. Also, completely agree with your points on how to approach questions about other firms and of course I'll not badmouth anybody or make excuses if only I were given the chance at an interview!

Have you had much luck having done 3 previous VS? And if you don't mind my asking why do you feel you didn't get TCs there? Or am i being presumptuous and you didn't apply to those firms for TCs?
desperateforaTC
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LooseMoose)
Sorry to add even more confusion, but White & Case has now sent out some interview invitations!

If you don't mind my asking, do you know when these chosen few applied?
desperateforaTC
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone had a PFO from White & Case yet?
the punter
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by desperateforaTC)
Anyone had a PFO from White & Case yet?
Dont remember any. Only a few interview invitations for this week came around last week if I remember correctly....
Flaming_June
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Has anyone heard anything at all from Ince? Total silence so far....
jjal
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by the punter)
Dont remember any. Only a few interview invitations for this week came around last week if I remember correctly....

Do you know if the interview invites that have been sent out for W&C were for those who have already done vac schemes with them?
the punter
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jjal)
Do you know if the interview invites that have been sent out for W&C were for those who have already done vac schemes with them?
Potentially? LooseMoose got invited, so should be able to help you more....
curlywurly86
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
PFO Dechert
a243
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Between a tc offer from Shearman & Sterling and Olswang, which one would you take? Grateful to hear people's thoughts
wannabemonkey
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anything from DAC Beachcroft? Considering calling them
Gateway15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by a243)
Between a tc offer from Shearman & Sterling and Olswang, which one would you take? Grateful to hear people's thoughts

Not sure why you got a negative rating. Pefectly plausible question. Why don't you message me and we can discuss in more detail, so that we do not derail the thread too much. However, if you do not want to discuss it, I would say now Shearman & Sterling. Without blinking...
Gateway15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by a243)
(Original post by Gateway15)
Not sure why you got a negative rating. Pefectly plausible question. Why don't you message me and we can discuss in more detail, so that we do not derail the thread too much. However, if you do not want to discuss it, I would say now Shearman & Sterling. Without blinking...

I have sent you a private message in your inbox
final2012
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi guys, Just wanted to try and offer some help regarding White & Case. I did one of their vac schemes, and all vac schemers were offered an interview during their 2 weeks at the firm - any interview invites that have been sent out will have been for direct TC applicants. Hope this helps a little
the punter
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by final2012)
Hi guys, Just wanted to try and offer some help regarding White & Case. I did one of their vac schemes, and all vac schemers were offered an interview during their 2 weeks at the firm - any interview invites that have been sent out will have been for direct TC applicants. Hope this helps a little
Thanks for this.

rejection from Speechly Bircham post psychometric tests, guess I screwed up too much on the maths.

Left open: White&Case, Clyde and desperately waiting to hear from Covington post-2nd round interviews....
Egyptian
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by wannabemonkey)
Anything from DAC Beachcroft? Considering calling them
About calling firms, what are your thoughts on this? does HR take it as showing interest/commitment or do they simply get annoyed?
daisy0123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
3 PFOs in a day! Boodle, RPC and HFW.
SwiftRyu
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep, RPC PFO. At least they stuck to their word!
Lawy3r
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by a243)

Shearmans. They will do wonders for your career. Excellent firm and lovely people work there, and the small intake is really an asset. People do not value it enough. It makes your entire training contract a wholly different experience. Very prestigious as well, and up there with the Magic Circle firms.
cranberryjuce
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone heard from Travers after a first round interview?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (883)
90.75%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (90)
9.25%

Watched Threads