Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbbbbecki)
    Hi! I have an interview at YSJ for Lower Primary on the 17th, I'm so nervous!
    Congrats! I have one on the 16th - I hope it goes well for you! :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YesBurrows)
    Yep I'll be there on Wednesday as well! For Primary PGCE.

How's prep going?
    Do either of you know whether the course itself (if we were successful) is predominantly based in Didsbury where the interview is, or whether it's at the University in the town centre?
    I think in September the education faculty moves to their new building. But I was under the impression it is still a short walk from Manchester Oxford Road station.
    The interviews are at The Simon Building at Didsbury for me. I'm getting the train and then strolling over. May help me calm down feeling so nervous about it, but really hoping I get a place!
    Good luck with yours!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Don't panic. Sometimes presentations involve group discussions about them afterwards anyway. Just be prepared to listen to what others say and build on it., And remember you could in theory all get through... it doesn't have to be a competition. They want you to show knowledge, passion and the ability to look at things from different perspectives. If you have those, don't panic!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you
    I think I just have to take the stance of not getting stressed out by this. Ideally, I would have loved more time to prepare in terms of actual reading especially since I didn't go to school in England/the UK. There are only so many educational articles you can read in one sitting before they all start to blur. So I think choosing not to stress about these things or stress about what I'll remember on the day is what will keep me partially sane LOL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooksy1704)
    I've applied for primary!
    [MOD EDIT: Please do not discuss specific interview activities at specific institutions - it is against TSR rules]
    Thank you!
    Feeling prepared now and ready now!
    They tell you before hand on the website what the presentation has to be based on!!
    It's the same every year so no rules have been broken!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMR26)
    I'll be there. I've gone for Secondary Maths
    Aww I'm primary!
    do you have to do a presentation too?

ReputationRep:
    Yep I'll be there on Wednesday as well! For Primary PGCE.

How's prep going?
    Do either of you know whether the course itself (if we were successful) is predominantly based in Didsbury where the interview is, or whether it's at the University in the town centre?
    Yeah it's going well! Although I've been working in a primary school for past two years so hoping I will be able to draw on experience when in the interview!
    Been going over my presentation and written task today!
    How's yours going?
    As far as I know you are usually in uni one day a week and on placements for the majority of time! Placements can be far and wide tho I think. I have friends on pgce at mmu they're placed in bury, Bolton etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Congrats to all those with offers. I'm hoping at some point I'll be popping up to say I have an offer!

Anyone know if the 40 working days they have to let us know is to let us know if we're accepted or unsuccessful, or if it's just to let us know about an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The 40 days is to receive a final offer/decision.

They have to interview you, make their mind up and let you know within 40 working days of receiving your application.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me locate where I book the skills tests. I've googled it and clicked on the link and it says it's no longer available. So confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aww I'm primary!
    do you have to do a presentation too?
    Don't think so. First it's watching a video clip of a lesson and discussing it as a group. Then a written piece on inclusion / diversity and then finally the interview. They are meant to ask you questions testing subject knowledge and I think I'll have to answer it as if teaching a class.
    Excited yet nervous all at once!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's going well! Although I've been working in a primary school for past two years so hoping I will be able to draw on experience when in the interview!
    Been going over my presentation and written task today!
    How's yours going?
    As far as I know you are usually in uni one day a week and on placements for the majority of time! Placements can be far and wide tho I think. I have friends on pgce at mmu they're placed in bury, Bolton etc
    Yeh I've been doing the same today, just practising my presentation and written task. Feeling okay about it all, just a little stuck for time because I have an interview at Leeds the day after!
    I live a train-ride for Manchester City Centre so was just curious really. If I get accepted I doubt i'll be that bothered about distance haha! Just want to get next week done now and hopefully get an offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMR26)
    I think in September the education faculty moves to their new building. But I was under the impression it is still a short walk from Manchester Oxford Road station.
    The interviews are at The Simon Building at Didsbury for me. I'm getting the train and then strolling over. May help me calm down feeling so nervous about it, but really hoping I get a place!
    Good luck with yours!
    Do you know where the new building is?
    Yeh my interview is at Didsbury and i'm gettin the train from town. Sure there will be a few of us strolling over haha!
    Thanks good luck too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckarr)
    Can anyone help me locate where I book the skills tests. I've googled it and clicked on the link and it says it's no longer available. So confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Does this help? https://www6.pearsonvue.com/testtake.../TDAENTRYTESTS
    You need to set up an account.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know where the new building is?
    Yeh my interview is at Didsbury and i'm gettin the train from town. Sure there will be a few of us strolling over haha!
    Thanks good luck too!
    It's Birley Fields Campus and isn't far from the all saints campus.
    Here is a map I found which shows where they both are - http://www.ioe.mmu.ac.uk/birleyfield...-to-birley.php

ReputationRep:

Yeh I've been doing the same today, just practising my presentation and written task. Feeling okay about it all, just a little stuck for time because I have an interview at Leeds the day after!
    I live a train-ride for Manchester City Centre so was just curious really. If I get accepted I doubt i'll be that bothered about distance haha! Just want to get next week done now and hopefully get an offer!
    Have you already completed your degree? What year groups did you do for experience?
    Fingers and toes crossed for both of us!!
    cant believe how short two mins is for the presentation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMR26)
    Don't think so. First it's watching a video clip of a lesson and discussing it as a group. Then a written piece on inclusion / diversity and then finally the interview. They are meant to ask you questions testing subject knowledge and I think I'll have to answer it as if teaching a class.
    Excited yet nervous all at once!!
    Do they ask you subject knowledge questions because you're secondary?
    Fairly sure for primary they will ask about degree but then it's mainly personal qualities and experience!

ReputationRep:

Have you already completed your degree? What year groups did you do for experience?
    Fingers and toes crossed for both of us!!
    cant believe how short two mins is for the presentation!
    No I'm still doing my degree at Leeds. Have you?
    I've only got a few weeks experience, not really had time to get more but I really enjoyed them. I did a week in one school floating around all years, and then a week in another school staying with one year 6 class. They were awesome. How much have you done?

Me too!! I think that's all they need because they're just looking at how we present ourselves. Trying not to worry too much about the subject and more about how I come across.

ReputationRep:
    No I'm still doing my degree at Leeds. Have you?
    I've only got a few weeks experience, not really had time to get more but I really enjoyed them. I did a week in one school floating around all years, and then a week in another school staying with one year 6 class. They were awesome. How much have you done?

Me too!! I think that's all they need because they're just looking at how we present ourselves. Trying not to worry too much about the subject and more about how I come across.
    I finished my degree in 2011.
    Spent just under a year teaching in Spain and then moved back and became a ta in a primary school in manchester.
    they say you only need a couple weeks experience so I wouldn't worry! Know plenty of people who have got on with only 2 weeks experience!
    yeah from what I can gather they are quite welcoming and informal so shouldn't be too daunting!
    think the presentation is just to make sure we can stand up and speak in front of an audience! Think I'm most nervous about the group discussion. Not because I can't hold my own but hope it's a supportive group and not people trampling on others as others have said we could all get a place! Defo not in direct competition this early on! Lots of vacancies!

ReputationRep:
    I finished my degree in 2011.
    Spent just under a year teaching in Spain and then moved back and became a ta in a primary school in manchester.
    they say you only need a couple weeks experience so I wouldn't worry! Know plenty of people who have got on with only 2 weeks experience!
    yeah from what I can gather they are quite welcoming and informal so shouldn't be too daunting!
    think the presentation is just to make sure we can stand up and speak in front of an audience! Think I'm most nervous about the group discussion. Not because I can't hold my own but hope it's a supportive group and not people trampling on others as others have said we could all get a place! Defo not in direct competition this early on! Lots of vacancies!
    Wow, sounds like you'll have a lot to draw from experience-wise! Yeh I'm not too worried about my lack of experience, just got to show I really want to teach and won't drop out after 2 weeks!
    Yeh couldn't agree more. Surely people won't be like that, we're all in the same boat after all! Hope I get a group where we can all bounce off eachother's thoughts and make ourselves look good haha

ReputationRep:
    Wow, sounds like you'll have a lot to draw from experience-wise! Yeh I'm not too worried about my lack of experience, just got to show I really want to teach and won't drop out after 2 weeks!
    Yeh couldn't agree more. Surely people won't be like that, we're all in the same boat after all! Hope I get a group where we can all bounce off eachother's thoughts and make ourselves look good haha
    Yeah definitely agree! Hope we are in the same group then as I have same idea!!
    Hopefully everyone will get a turn to make their point in the discussion and work together!
    Wonder how many groups they will have on each day??

ReputationRep:
    Do they ask you subject knowledge questions because you're secondary?
    Fairly sure for primary they will ask about degree but then it's mainly personal qualities and experience!
    Maybe it's just maths secondary? It amazing how many good mathematicians can do it, but can't explain why. They want to check I can I think.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.