Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Merry Christmas !!! I feel a dreary year coming ahead for me -.-''

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Merry Christmas!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Merry Christmas, guys, hope Santa has been kind to you all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    Hi Zainab

I hope you have a great birthday :woo:

When I did my GCSEs I took English lit, English lang, maths, triple science, history and Spanish What MFL are you doing? Congrats on your early GCSEs :congrats:

At least you know what you don't want to do I'm doing history, English lit and maths as 3 of my AS Levels So if you need any help just ask

It's cool that your teachers are being a lot more friendly now you're in year 11, I found that too they're even friendlier in sixth form :lol: You get a year 11 common room? :eek: We only just got one in year 12

Oh, and welcome to the thread
    Thanks for that Had a long day today and you just made me smile...

I hope my birthday goes good too but the fact that it's a mock exam date doesn't look so good to me ... Oh well. It's on a friday. whoop whoop! :banana:

I'm actually doing Urdu with AQA, it's the only subject I'm finding VERY hard... :banghead:

How did you do triple science? As separate GCSEs: Physics, Chemistry and Biology, or Core, Additional and Further Additional?

One thing that's putting me off doing History and English Lit both at AS is that everyone I tell sort of laughs a little and tells me I'm writing my own death warrant. :bricks:

Can I just ask what exam boards you are doing those three subjects with?

Up until this year, I actually thought teachers were these alien type creatures who only lived in school because they just seemed so stiff. Not anymore.

Actually, our common room is being established. We pushed for private space for year 11s as the library and 'study' areas are always clogged with younger kids who are really loud. Plus it's not fair on them if the whole of year 11 just take over the Library and it's unfair on us if we don't have access to the appropriate materials. [On top of everything our school is pretty small so even if it isn't really crowded, the library looks crowded]. It was pretty cool when my Head of Year came around asking what everyone wanted in there, I mean some kids came out with the most bizarre suggestions [one guy asked for a pole... :confused: was my face until I realised what he was talking about ]

She said that over the Christmas Holidays they would look at the list, take the stuff that we definitely can't have because of Health and Safety off and then buy all the other things [They were cool about Sofas and Cushions and a snooker table- let's see how that pans out :^_^: ]

Anyway, Hope you had an awesome Christmas and thanks for the reply. Later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zebby1999)
    One thing that's putting me off doing History and English Lit both at AS is that everyone I tell sort of laughs a little and tells me I'm writing my own death warrant. :bricks:
    Hi there

Don't let them tell you what you can and can't do at AS. You mentioned a few pages ago that you don't know what you want to do; I'm in the same situation and my higher education advisor tried to get me to do Maths instead of the... eclectic mix of subjects I intend to take. In my opinion, taking subjects that aren't your interests and that don't represent you are less likely to lead you to where you want to be in life.

Choosing the wrong subjects won't lead you down the right path.

Merry Christmas, hope you've had a nice day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    Hi there

Don't let them tell you what you can and can't do at AS. You mentioned a few pages ago that you don't know what you want to do; I'm in the same situation and my higher education advisor tried to get me to do Maths instead of the... eclectic mix of subjects I intend to take. In my opinion, taking subjects that aren't your interests and that don't represent you are less likely to lead you to where you want to be in life.

Choosing the wrong subjects won't lead you down the right path.

Merry Christmas, hope you've had a nice day

Thanks a million

Don't even get me started on my Advisor... "Darling, you have the intellectual ability to take Medicine at University, aim high honey: Oxford and Cambridge, not Birmingham (I asked what was wrong with Birmingham as that's where I intend to go and she just gave a patronising smile which screamed 'listen to me, I know more than you!'). You need to take Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths, not English and History. I mean no offense but what good is english to you?"

I pointed out that English was a core subject and I loved the subjects I had already chosen and that patronising smile came out again...

What subjects do you want to take at A Level?

Hope you had an awesome day too.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a million

Don't even get me started on my Advisor... "Darling, you have the intellectual ability to take Medicine at University, aim high honey: Oxford and Cambridge, not Birmingham (I asked what was wrong with Birmingham as that's where I intend to go and she just gave a patronising smile which screamed 'listen to me, I know more than you!'). You need to take Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths, not English and History. I mean no offense but what good is english to you?"

I pointed out that English was a core subject and I loved the subjects I had already chosen and that patronising smile came out again...

What subjects do you want to take at A Level?

Hope you had an awesome day too.
    I want to take Politics, Chinese, Philosophy and Ethics and Music. My advisor was like 'Oh, you should take more facilitating subjects! How about maths? Look at those mock grades, you could choose anything' and I was like 'Nope, I'm not spending two years slaving over a subject I'm not passionate about. Go away!' This was at a group meeting thing the school did on our mock results day - he'd made a presentation telling us all to do sixth form and go to a Russell Group uni, all based on our mock grades. My boyfriend was sitting there tutting the whole time because he's dead set on going to college :rolleyes: so yeah, they basically told us to be mainstream. Not that that's always bad, but Maths ain't my talent.

Thanks for the good wishes though
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Thanks for that Had a long day today and you just made me smile...

I hope my birthday goes good too but the fact that it's a mock exam date doesn't look so good to me ... Oh well. It's on a friday. whoop whoop! :banana:

I'm actually doing Urdu with AQA, it's the only subject I'm finding VERY hard... :banghead:

How did you do triple science? As separate GCSEs: Physics, Chemistry and Biology, or Core, Additional and Further Additional?

Can I just ask what exam boards you are doing those three subjects with?

Up until this year, I actually thought teachers were these alien type creatures who only lived in school because they just seemed so stiff. Not anymore.

Actually, our common room is being established. We pushed for private space for year 11s as the library and 'study' areas are always clogged with younger kids who are really loud. Plus it's not fair on them if the whole of year 11 just take over the Library and it's unfair on us if we don't have access to the appropriate materials. [On top of everything our school is pretty small so even if it isn't really crowded, the library looks crowded]. It was pretty cool when my Head of Year came around asking what everyone wanted in there, I mean some kids came out with the most bizarre suggestions [one guy asked for a pole... :confused: was my face until I realised what he was talking about ]

She said that over the Christmas Holidays they would look at the list, take the stuff that we definitely can't have because of Health and Safety off and then buy all the other things [They were cool about Sofas and Cushions and a snooker table- let's see how that pans out :^_^: ]

Anyway, Hope you had an awesome Christmas and thanks for the reply. Later

I know a couple of my friends had their birthdays on a GCSE exam, it wasn't nice You will still have a nice day though :yep:

My GCSEs are in physics, chemistry and biology, though whichever way you think of it you still do the same units

It is tricky with both of them (even trickier with English language on top :rolleyes:), but it is perfectly manageable. I saw one of your other posts about people saying you're too intelligent to take anything other than STEM subjects and that they won't lead anywhere... Well I got some of the highest GSCE grades in my school for both sciences and humanities, and if you're intelligent then anything will lead you to high places- taking humanities could get you into a top law firm, where you could end up as a car mechanic the other way.. It's not set in stone either way

Errrr, I know maths is edexel, history is OCR and I have a feeling lit and language are both AQA

Omg that is amazing what you have in your common room! We have like office tables and chairs, the best thing is the coffee machine xD

Hope you've had a great Christmas

ReputationRep:

I know a couple of my friends had their birthdays on a GCSE exam, it wasn't nice You will still have a nice day though :yep:

My GCSEs are in physics, chemistry and biology, though whichever way you think of it you still do the same units

It is tricky with both of them (even trickier with English language on top :rolleyes:), but it is perfectly manageable. I saw one of your other posts about people saying you're too intelligent to take anything other than STEM subjects and that they won't lead anywhere... Well I got some of the highest GSCE grades in my school for both sciences and humanities, and if you're intelligent then anything will lead you to high places- taking humanities could get you into a top law firm, where you could end up as a car mechanic the other way.. It's not set in stone either way

Errrr, I know maths is edexel, history is OCR and I have a feeling lit and language are both AQA

Omg that is amazing what you have in your common room! We have like office tables and chairs, the best thing is the coffee machine xD

Hope you've had a great Christmas
    My friend has a p7 and further maths level 2 calculator (I think) on his birthday. Best of all, they clash!

Yay ocr and aqa!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    My friend has a p7 and further maths level 2 calculator (I think) on his birthday. Best of all, they clash!

Yay ocr and aqa!
    Ouch, I had a few clashing ones on my first day of GCSEs

AQA is the best, that's what most of mine were for GCSE
    Spoiler:
    Show
    They definitely have the best website

ReputationRep:
    Ouch, I had a few clashing ones on my first day of GCSEs

AQA is the best, that's what most of mine were for GCSE
    Spoiler:
    Show
    They definitely have the best website
    Is there really a better exam board?

I mean, the subject seems to vary little on exam board to exam board.

And the little variation I've seen from past papers or exam structure seems to not show a trend in exam boards being better

But saying that I'm only year 11

How was your Christmas?

EDIT: just saw you spoiler and I'm angry with Aqa to because they removed the old history spec b past papers, Although the exams won't be changing much for my spec.

Arr
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    Is there really a better exam board?

I mean, the subject seems to vary little on exam board to exam board.

And the little variation I've seen from past papers or exam structure seems to not show a trend in exam boards being better

But saying that I'm only year 11

How was your Christmas?

EDIT: just saw you spoiler and I'm angry with Aqa to because they removed the old history spec b past papers, Although the exams won't be changing much for my spec.

Arr
    They all have different strengths and weaknesses, and vary with the direction their content goes (especially with sciences, one could be more theoretical based and the other more practical), and with things like history they ask for different ways to structure answers etc so it is personal preference

When they remove past papers it can be annoying, although I think all exam boards do it :s your teachers will probably have hard copies in a store room if you ask nicely

I had a lovely Christmas thanks you?

ReputationRep:
    Hey all! Hope you all had an amazing Christmas!

ReputationRep:
    anyone else having mocks in january and cant get themselves to do any revision :/?

ReputationRep:
    They all have different strengths and weaknesses, and vary with the direction their content goes (especially with sciences, one could be more theoretical based and the other more practical), and with things like history they ask for different ways to structure answers etc so it is personal preference

When they remove past papers it can be annoying, although I think all exam boards do it :s your teachers will probably have hard copies in a store room if you ask nicely

I had a lovely Christmas thanks you?
    Yeah they probably do, I'll get a hold of them once I finish my mocks hopefully, my g&t teacher is head of the History department

Yeah it was excellent! Main prezzie was an ipad

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Only posted on here once before! Just wondering if there is anyone on here, currently year 11 who are wanting to study medicine in university?😝

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elliottmanwaring)
    Hey guys! Only posted on here once before! Just wondering if there is anyone on here, currently year 11 who are wanting to study medicine in university?������
    I do! Where would you like to go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunnyrays07)
    I do! Where would you like to go?
    Awesome! I want to apply to Cardiff, Liverpool, UCL and SGUL. How about you? How are your GCSEs looking, as in, what do you think you'll get? Think I'll get 9A*s 1A and 1B.

ReputationRep:
    Great! I would like to apply to Cambridge, UCL, Durham and maybe Southampton but I wasn't sure if Barts was a better option to get into? It also depends on how well I do in my UKCAT and BMAT exams.
    I hope to get 10A*s and 1A but I 've asked for extra help in Geography to get it up to 11A*s
    Have you applied for Work Experience yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frostyy)
    anyone else having mocks in january and cant get themselves to do any revision :/?
    It's hard to get into revision. I've started revising more after my mocks than before (which doesn't help)!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.