Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Gabriel had a solid debut from what I saw - and Ospina's performance will breathe confidence into him after quite a haphazard few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    If Sterling plays behind them then where does that leave Coutinho? Or do you think they'll do a diamond of some sorts.
    They could do a diamond or a 4-2-2-2 tbh lots of pace in that attack and midfield could see it doing alot of damage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelfox)
    Ozil has got the third best assists to minutes ratio in the Prem of all time... Also remember this guy: Miss him
    NGL I loved that kit.

(Original post by Numan786)
    I think he's being phased out and won't start another game for us in all honesty as wenger doesn't like the type of player he is. I really like Walcott tbf as he brings goals to the table so I can see him leaving. I can see Liverpool going in for him or a team like juventus. Liverpool would do well to play him up top with sturridge. Posted from TSR Mobile
    What are you talking about? Wenger has admitted in the past that Theo is one of our better players, and the one we were missing the most when he was out. I just think that Theo is not impressing Wenger with his overall play at the moment, with Ox and Welbeck seemingly offering more (other than goals), so Wenger is waiting to re-introduce him. I don't buy the idea that Wenger doesn't want or like him, I think Wenger was just hoping Theo would advance more than he did when he was training with Henry a few years ago. Theo would not go to Liverpool, and Wenger wouldn't sell him.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mertesacker has played 90 minutes in EVERY PL game this season, bar your opening fixture and the Everton game yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Mertesacker has played 90 minutes in EVERY PL game this season, bar your opening fixture and the Everton game yesterday.
    And he barely had a pre-season, irresponsible of AW to put him in that position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    And he barely had a pre-season, irresponsible of AW to put him in that position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Gabriel seems to have won some fans from his debut, though. Be interesting to see if that acts as a watershed moment.

ReputationRep:
    Gabriel seems to have won some fans from his debut, though. Be interesting to see if that acts as a watershed moment.
    We might end up with a new Vermaelen situation with Per. His form has dipped of late but that looks more down to fatigue than anything. He said he was lacking motivation, well now he has it. Arsene doesn't drop players easily, so if Gabriel is now starting with Kos, Per is going to have to work hard to get his place back.

Gabriel looks good, but raw. Took him a while to get up to the speed of the game against Everton but overall he did well. Offers something Per doesn't...pace.

Don't know how well his and Kos will work simply because both like to play on the front foot, we could get caught out on a few occasions with those two playing. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wikipedia works quickly

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Wikipedia works quickly

This is why I hate the fact news gets out so quickly these days, no proof either way yet..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    We might end up with a new Vermaelen situation with Per. His form has dipped of late but that looks more down to fatigue than anything. He said he was lacking motivation, well now he has it. Arsene doesn't drop players easily, so if Gabriel is now starting with Kos, Per is going to have to work hard to get his place back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A few German stars have said the same thing. Must be tough trying to motivate yourself after a WC win - I'd be guilty of thinking 'well, what else is there left?'.

ReputationRep:
    A few German stars have said the same thing. Must be tough trying to motivate yourself after a WC win - I'd be guilty of thinking 'well, what else is there left?'.
    I can understand if that happened to the Bayern/German players, but Mertesacker? He's 30 and only won a Pokal and an FA Cup in his entire club career.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CB91)
    I can understand if that happened to the Bayern/German players, but Mertesacker? He's 30 and only won a Pokal and an FA Cup in his entire club career.
    The WC is the pinnacle, though, isn't it.

A PL title hardly matches it. A CL, maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing touches winning a WC in football imo. A CL is a great achievement but the WC is unique and you probably only have 3/4 chances to win it in your career.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Exactly. I mean, how much would Mertesacker want a PL? He'd prefer a Bundesliga, surely?

ReputationRep:
    The WC is the pinnacle, though, isn't it.

A PL title hardly matches it. A CL, maybe.
    Obviously im not talking about one trophy compared to a World Cup. :confused: He's 30 and has basically nothing to show for 12 years as a club player. That would motivate me a hell of a lot more than a WC which is out of your control anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. I mean, how much would Mertesacker want a PL? He'd prefer a Bundesliga, surely?
    Winning the Bundesliga basically means joining Bayern Munich though, and I doubt he'd get much playing time there.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by EddyP)
    Winning the Bundesliga basically means joining Bayern Munich though, and I doubt he'd get much playing time there.
    Yeah, agreed.

ReputationRep:
    How much did he even play in the WC? Can't remember him playing 1 game tbh (though I may be completely wrong). It's like Pepe Reina, he may have "won" the WC and 2 European Championships, but if you haven't played a single game including all the competitive qualification games, have you really played a part in "winning" the WC or Euros?

Paulista looked good, but it would be interesting to see the reaction if Lukaku had scored from his mistake, the one thing that has come out of this week is quite how fickle the average Arsenal fan is, we're playing ok and getting results (bar Monaco and Tottenham), sure they were two massive games, but 2nd place and retaining the FA Cup is by no way out of the question (being optimistic), and by no means a poor season when you consider how we started it. We have better form than every team bar Liverpool in the pl and with some other players coming back into the squad in the next few weeks I would predict our torrid March "curse" is going to end.

Wish Wenger would start subbing Ozil off for Rosicky at the 60 min mark though, it would benefit both players tbh
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Being part of the WC-winning squad is as good as scoring in the final for the majority of players I'm guessing.

ReputationRep:
    Rosicky is fast becoming one of my favourite players of all time for Arsenal. If you take out the invincibles he's probably my favourite player after Adams.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.