Law Offers for 2016? Watch

Cholesta
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tamsinb123)
This isn't really relevant to your case, but it may help. I'm applying post A-level for Law with Spanish with 2A*s (in Spanish and English Lit) and a C (Biology). However, this is not the first time I have applied to unis through UCAS... I originally applied to study Modern Languages and had a place lined up at UCL but missed my offer and was brutally rejected on results day. (Ended up going to my back-up Bristol but was miserable and left after a term).

I would say... Don't bank on it: Law at Nottingham is very competitive so I guess they can afford to reject anyone who misses their offer. I speak from experience when I give this advice; I banked on it! Unfortunately for me (as a results day reject), UCL is so competitive and prestigious that they can afford to be harsh and are harsh indeed. I assume it's the same (or similar) with Law at Nottingham.

However, that (stuff about UCL) being said, I called up admissions at Nottingham before I applied (this time round) to check that they would actually consider my application with a below par grade, and they told me that they operate a flexible admissions policy. With that in mind, I suppose the likelihood of them taking you with A*AB instead of AAA all depends on how MUCH they liked you and the other aspects of your application. Obviously it's impossible for you to tell how much they liked you. Which is why you shouldn't get your hopes up.

PS: sorry for the long post... It was a long story

Posted from TSR Mobile
May I ask why you were miserable at Bristol?
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MrPoopaLoopa)
Law - what a stupid degree. I have 10 offers already for Events Management but I've declined them all because I'm Harvard material.
'kay
PandyyCD97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mattlally)
Anyone still waiting on Bristol, Nottingham or Warwick? I applied on the 28th November - predicted A*AA with a disappointing score of 22 on the LNAT.
I'm not waiting, but I got a lower LNAT score than you, and they still gave me an offer- Don't give up hope yet
dfradkin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mariewilliams)
Anyone here firmed KCL? Put Bristol as my insurance choice.
My LNAT score was 23 and predicted grades A*A*AA
are you UK or international?
dfradkin
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm an international applicant, can anyone advise me on the pros and cons of bristol and nottigham (location, social life, uni life, etc)

Also I got rejected from King's, my first choice, and thinking of reapplying if I can't get it through adjustment (given I get the grades). Is this a good idea or should I just go to one of the unis I've gotten an offer from?
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dfradkin)
I'm an international applicant, can anyone advise me on the pros and cons of bristol and nottigham (location, social life, uni life, etc)

Also I got rejected from King's, my first choice, and thinking of reapplying if I can't get it through adjustment (given I get the grades). Is this a good idea or should I just go to one of the unis I've gotten an offer from?
Its unlikely that KCL will have places in Adjustment so this may not be a wise strategy. Both Bristol and Nottingham are excellent UK Universities and have well established and respected Law Schools. Bristol may have an edge for an International applicant as its a more 'historic' city and is closer to London. Have a look at the Open Day films on You Tube - Bristol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYuG7xQbC8, Nottingham https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpxlHCqNsDs
dfradkin
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Its unlikely that KCL will have places in Adjustment so this may not be a wise strategy. Both Bristol and Nottingham are excellent UK Universities and have well established and respected Law Schools. Bristol may have an edge for an International applicant as its a more 'historic' city and is closer to London. Have a look at the Open Day films on You Tube - Bristol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYuG7xQbC8, Nottingham https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpxlHCqNsDs
Thank you, what about the places in general?
mariewilliams
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm a UK student

are you UK or international?
Cholesta
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you, what about the places in general?
Return migrant is right. My son and I went to see Bristol and Notts. personally speaking I loved Notts. Although it was a rotten day, pouring rain, mist etc, I could see it was a beautiful campus, 5 mins from the city which is lively, with lots to do. The taster law lecture was excellent and the uni itself is well respected. The Wills law building is amazing but the city of Bristol isn't that big. Reputation would be similar for both. Watch the you tube videos for Notts and Bristol.
aayushk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NR_898)
I've applied to Leeds and received an offer! It's a good uni and its overall ranking is higher than other unis like KCL and QMUL...I'm considering it, especially since I'm still waiting for my other 4 choices and I'm kinda losing hope!
Right, thank you! What are your other four choices?
dfradkin
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Cholesta)
Return migrant is right. My son and I went to see Bristol and Notts. personally speaking I loved Notts. Although it was a rotten day, pouring rain, mist etc, I could see it was a beautiful campus, 5 mins from the city which is lively, with lots to do. The taster law lecture was excellent and the uni itself is well respected. The Wills law building is amazing but the city of Bristol isn't that big. Reputation would be similar for both. Watch the you tube videos for Notts and Bristol.
Thank you. I have, and there isn't really much that would sway my decision. In terms of social life, Bristol is usually seen as a better option - how true is this?

Also, I'm contemplating a gap year to reapply to King's. Can you compare Bristol / Notts in terms of social life, expenses, getting around, sightseeing, etc to London?
What are the pros and cons of student life in London?

I may not be able to visit during spring holidays so I need to make an informed decision.
Mon :)
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Got an offer yesterday from KCL for law with French law with conditions of AA
That's me 5 for 5 now:
Unconditional Edinburgh
Unconditional Glasgow
Rejected from Oxford post interview
Conditional at Exeter - AAA
Conditional at KCL - AA

27 in the LNAT in case anyone is still waiting
kingofacademics
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
What makes you think it's unlikely they'll have places seeing as they had places last year?
Cholesta
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you. I have, and there isn't really much that would sway my decision. In terms of social life, Bristol is usually seen as a better option - how true is this?

Also, I'm contemplating a gap year to reapply to King's. Can you compare Bristol / Notts in terms of social life, expenses, getting around, sightseeing, etc to London?
What are the pros and cons of student life in London?

I may not be able to visit during spring holidays so I need to make an informed decision.
You may get a better student experience out of London. Nottingham is a lot cheaper than Bristol. I think Bristol may be almost as expensive as London. Notts students told us that everything in Notts was very affordable with special offers for students. They also said the social life was great. My son has the same dilemma as you. Picking catered accommodation is a good idea for getting to know people. We didn't see Bristols accommodation but Notts was very good. Once again it's personal choice.
Flossm5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mon :))
Got an offer yesterday from KCL for law with French law with conditions of AA
That's me 5 for 5 now:
Unconditional Edinburgh
Unconditional Glasgow
Rejected from Oxford post interview
Conditional at Exeter - AAA
Conditional at KCL - AA

27 in the LNAT in case anyone is still waiting
I take it you already have the A* if your conditions are AA?
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Flossm5)
I take it you already have the A* if your conditions are AA?
I'm doing Scottish advanced highers
Flossm5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing Scottish advanced highers
So all your universities are asking for AA?
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So all your universities are asking for AA?
No exeter want AAA
Flossm5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No exeter want AAA
Have you already got your A-Levels?
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have you already got your A-Levels?
Advanced highers are the equivalent to A levels
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (702)
90.93%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (70)
9.07%

Watched Threads