Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Law Offers for 2016? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamsinb123)
    This isn't really relevant to your case, but it may help. I'm applying post A-level for Law with Spanish with 2A*s (in Spanish and English Lit) and a C (Biology). However, this is not the first time I have applied to unis through UCAS... I originally applied to study Modern Languages and had a place lined up at UCL but missed my offer and was brutally rejected on results day. (Ended up going to my back-up Bristol but was miserable and left after a term).

I would say... Don't bank on it: Law at Nottingham is very competitive so I guess they can afford to reject anyone who misses their offer. I speak from experience when I give this advice; I banked on it! Unfortunately for me (as a results day reject), UCL is so competitive and prestigious that they can afford to be harsh and are harsh indeed. I assume it's the same (or similar) with Law at Nottingham.

However, that (stuff about UCL) being said, I called up admissions at Nottingham before I applied (this time round) to check that they would actually consider my application with a below par grade, and they told me that they operate a flexible admissions policy. With that in mind, I suppose the likelihood of them taking you with A*AB instead of AAA all depends on how MUCH they liked you and the other aspects of your application. Obviously it's impossible for you to tell how much they liked you. Which is why you shouldn't get your hopes up.

PS: sorry for the long post... It was a long story

Posted from TSR Mobile
    May I ask why you were miserable at Bristol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrPoopaLoopa)
    Law - what a stupid degree. I have 10 offers already for Events Management but I've declined them all because I'm Harvard material.
    'kay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattlally)
    Anyone still waiting on Bristol, Nottingham or Warwick? I applied on the 28th November - predicted A*AA with a disappointing score of 22 on the LNAT.
    I'm not waiting, but I got a lower LNAT score than you, and they still gave me an offer- Don't give up hope yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariewilliams)
    Anyone here firmed KCL? Put Bristol as my insurance choice.
    My LNAT score was 23 and predicted grades A*A*AA
    are you UK or international?

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international applicant, can anyone advise me on the pros and cons of bristol and nottigham (location, social life, uni life, etc)

Also I got rejected from King's, my first choice, and thinking of reapplying if I can't get it through adjustment (given I get the grades). Is this a good idea or should I just go to one of the unis I've gotten an offer from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfradkin)
    I'm an international applicant, can anyone advise me on the pros and cons of bristol and nottigham (location, social life, uni life, etc)

Also I got rejected from King's, my first choice, and thinking of reapplying if I can't get it through adjustment (given I get the grades). Is this a good idea or should I just go to one of the unis I've gotten an offer from?
    Its unlikely that KCL will have places in Adjustment so this may not be a wise strategy. Both Bristol and Nottingham are excellent UK Universities and have well established and respected Law Schools. Bristol may have an edge for an International applicant as its a more 'historic' city and is closer to London. Have a look at the Open Day films on You Tube - Bristol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYuG7xQbC8, Nottingham https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpxlHCqNsDs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Its unlikely that KCL will have places in Adjustment so this may not be a wise strategy. Both Bristol and Nottingham are excellent UK Universities and have well established and respected Law Schools. Bristol may have an edge for an International applicant as its a more 'historic' city and is closer to London. Have a look at the Open Day films on You Tube - Bristol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYuG7xQbC8, Nottingham https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpxlHCqNsDs
    Thank you, what about the places in general?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a UK student

are you UK or international?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, what about the places in general?
    Return migrant is right. My son and I went to see Bristol and Notts. personally speaking I loved Notts. Although it was a rotten day, pouring rain, mist etc, I could see it was a beautiful campus, 5 mins from the city which is lively, with lots to do. The taster law lecture was excellent and the uni itself is well respected. The Wills law building is amazing but the city of Bristol isn't that big. Reputation would be similar for both. Watch the you tube videos for Notts and Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NR_898)
    I've applied to Leeds and received an offer! It's a good uni and its overall ranking is higher than other unis like KCL and QMUL...I'm considering it, especially since I'm still waiting for my other 4 choices and I'm kinda losing hope!
    Right, thank you! What are your other four choices?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cholesta)
    Return migrant is right. My son and I went to see Bristol and Notts. personally speaking I loved Notts. Although it was a rotten day, pouring rain, mist etc, I could see it was a beautiful campus, 5 mins from the city which is lively, with lots to do. The taster law lecture was excellent and the uni itself is well respected. The Wills law building is amazing but the city of Bristol isn't that big. Reputation would be similar for both. Watch the you tube videos for Notts and Bristol.
    Thank you. I have, and there isn't really much that would sway my decision. In terms of social life, Bristol is usually seen as a better option - how true is this?

Also, I'm contemplating a gap year to reapply to King's. Can you compare Bristol / Notts in terms of social life, expenses, getting around, sightseeing, etc to London?
    What are the pros and cons of student life in London?

I may not be able to visit during spring holidays so I need to make an informed decision.

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer yesterday from KCL for law with French law with conditions of AA
    That's me 5 for 5 now:
    Unconditional Edinburgh
    Unconditional Glasgow
    Rejected from Oxford post interview
    Conditional at Exeter - AAA
    Conditional at KCL - AA

27 in the LNAT in case anyone is still waiting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    What makes you think it's unlikely they'll have places seeing as they had places last year?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I have, and there isn't really much that would sway my decision. In terms of social life, Bristol is usually seen as a better option - how true is this?

Also, I'm contemplating a gap year to reapply to King's. Can you compare Bristol / Notts in terms of social life, expenses, getting around, sightseeing, etc to London?
    What are the pros and cons of student life in London?

I may not be able to visit during spring holidays so I need to make an informed decision.
    You may get a better student experience out of London. Nottingham is a lot cheaper than Bristol. I think Bristol may be almost as expensive as London. Notts students told us that everything in Notts was very affordable with special offers for students. They also said the social life was great. My son has the same dilemma as you. Picking catered accommodation is a good idea for getting to know people. We didn't see Bristols accommodation but Notts was very good. Once again it's personal choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mon :))
    Got an offer yesterday from KCL for law with French law with conditions of AA
    That's me 5 for 5 now:
    Unconditional Edinburgh
    Unconditional Glasgow
    Rejected from Oxford post interview
    Conditional at Exeter - AAA
    Conditional at KCL - AA

27 in the LNAT in case anyone is still waiting
    I take it you already have the A* if your conditions are AA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flossm5)
    I take it you already have the A* if your conditions are AA?
    I'm doing Scottish advanced highers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Scottish advanced highers
    So all your universities are asking for AA?

ReputationRep:
    So all your universities are asking for AA?
    No exeter want AAA

ReputationRep:
    No exeter want AAA
    Have you already got your A-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    Have you already got your A-Levels?
    Advanced highers are the equivalent to A levels

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.