Maths Uni Chat Watch

Oh I Really Don't Care
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
Hmm, lol unlucky with poker. Got a 1 spade, and lol hit three other spade on flop. Went, all in. But, hmm the next card didn't hit, but the last card was a spade. But, it was the bloody king of spades giving the person a full house, which beat my flush. Anyway, lol lost £5 from that, as that was the price to enter tournament.

P.S. Moral of the story, don't play poker when ill or tired.
Correction: Don't play poker if you have no idea of the game ...
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by DeanK22)
Correction: Don't play poker if you have no idea of the game ...
Not many cards beat a flush. With a flop with only one jack in it, then you need only one more card to make it, going all in is the only logical course of action if you will be called on it.

Hmm, in terms of probability whats the probability of hitting a spade against the probability of hitting JK after flop.
TheTallOne
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not many cards beat a flush. With a flop with only one jack in it, then you need only one more card to make it, going all in is the only logical course of action if you will be called on it.

Hmm, in terms of probability whats the probability of hitting a spade against the probability of hitting JK after flop.
Isn't the probability of getting a flush after a flush draw on the flop only around 0.3?
And what was the spade in your hand?
Simplicity
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheTallOne)
Isn't the probability of getting a flush after a flush draw on the flop only around 0.3?
And what was the spade in your hand?
hmm, well not really. have two chances of hitting a spade.

But, lol I had lost by that point, so I would have taken 30%.
nota bene
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

That's not the relevant probability to look at (!)

The interesting part is how often you'll hit the flush and you have 8 outs after the flop. So it's 8/47 + 39/47.8/46 that you hit at least one spade, which isn't giving you odds to call or push in that instance unless you're either getting excellent pot odds, believe you have high folding equity of are already pot comitted.

Edit: Instead, speaking of my own playing. I hit a flush on turn, bet 40% of pot and get a reraise all-in. After much thought I call, the board is then 4sAd7d4d and he has AcQh on his hand. Don't you think the ******* wins the pot? He hits a 4 that's one of his four outs! I went out just before the money despite being a top-10% stack, he just covered me. I had 5d6d so it was clearly odds to call, especially as I put him on an A or (unlikely) a 4 by his flop betting and pf raise. I was not happy...
ste0731
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Stupid play anyway going allin on anything under 50%, ofcourse, you have to take into account the player/PF raises/Position etc and your own table image given over the night.

What was your spade in your hand? As you had 3 spades down, 1 in hand = 4. = 9 left. The board must've paired on the turn if it didn't pair on the flop. In which case the boards paired, you've got absolutely nothing except 9 outs, 1 of them should be discounted incase he has pockets. = 8 outs.

Even after flop its only 30%, shoving your whole stack in on 30% is stupid. Unless the pot was massive pre-flop which I doubt from the sound of the hand.. Hmm. Yeh dont play when ill. You any better?

I played absolutely amazing first 90mins, Got my 6k starting stack to about 25k ish. Then just got absolutely nothing :/ That new guy was quite annoying, played for his 3rd time only. He got aces, kings three times, queens twice, 2 or 3 full houses, at least 5 flushes etc. Oh and quads (which he didnt bet when last to act lol saved me a good chunk of chips with my full house) He eventually got beat, but he had some nasty luck and majority of the time against me (Not playing next 2 weeks btw simps)

Hmm matlab projects online, doesnt look fun All Mfiles, which I don't even know where to start... At least 50% is non-matlab, so cant really fail tbh.
My Alt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ste0731)
Stupid play anyway going allin on anything under 50%, ofcourse, you have to take into account the player/PF raises/Position etc and your own table image given over the night.

What was your spade in your hand? As you had 3 spades down, 1 in hand = 4. = 9 left. The board must've paired on the turn if it didn't pair on the flop. In which case the boards paired, you've got absolutely nothing except 9 outs, 1 of them should be discounted incase he has pockets. = 8 outs.

Even after flop its only 30%, shoving your whole stack in on 30% is stupid. Unless the pot was massive pre-flop which I doubt from the sound of the hand.. Hmm. Yeh dont play when ill. You any better?

I played absolutely amazing first 90mins, Got my 6k starting stack to about 25k ish. Then just got absolutely nothing :/ That new guy was quite annoying, played for his 3rd time only. He got aces, kings three times, queens twice, 2 or 3 full houses, at least 5 flushes etc. Oh and quads (which he didnt bet when last to act lol saved me a good chunk of chips with my full house) He eventually got beat, but he had some nasty luck and majority of the time against me (Not playing next 2 weeks btw simps)

Hmm matlab projects online, doesnt look fun All Mfiles, which I don't even know where to start... At least 50% is non-matlab, so cant really fail tbh.
Man you need to get some perspective!
assmaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't understand anything about poker, except if you lose, you have to get naked.
It never ends well
Simplicity
Rep:
?
(Original post by ste0731)

To be fair I did have a feeling that I was going to hit the flush, which I did. Actually, it was big. Well, it had two thousand in it and yeah. But, hmm I had nothing all night, except four 6's one time.

Lol, did yo win? atleast come third? as hmm, atleast I managed to do that when not ill. Although, I guess that could be luck but that is poker.

Oh yeah on matlab. Atleast it is courswork. 50% non-matlab?
assmaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So what is everyone doing in the summer break?
ForGreatJustice
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by assmaster)
Maths.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Anything but maths
nota bene
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Working, provided I pass exams:p:
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Nothing. If I have money maybe do boxing or something like that with one of my friends like once a week, then do parkour plus play CSS.

You got anything planned?
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nothing. If I have money maybe do boxing or something like that with one of my friends like once a week, then do parkour plus play CSS.

You got anything planned?
Box and do parkour?

Simplicitly do you think you are a bad ass street fighter or something?
Simplicity
Rep:
?
(Original post by DeanK22)
Box and do parkour?

Simplicitly do you think you are a bad ass street fighter or something?
Think :huff:

P.S. Parkour is friendly nothing like the competitions you see on TV. In boxing its mostly circuits and then 20% actually boxing.
ste0731
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OMG got exam results (At 12:50 in morning xD)
64% workshop, 67% sets , 58% calc, 60% stats. Quite happy with them wooooooooooooo!
around
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Going to Greece hopefully. I've also applied for a job at RAL but I still haven't heard back (it's been over a month now, maybe I should email...)

also maths
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Got my exam results also.

Workshop 68, SNF 71, Calculus and vectors 88 and probability 59.

GPA 74.167

P.S. Well, first years counts as nothing(well, except some money i.e. £1,500). Next year I might actually care.

P.P.S. Although, SNF should be 88, as hmmm if it wasen't for me being stupid with choice of question then lol I could have got it, but instead bang 15 marks gone.
My Alt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hopefully working at the MOD, interview on Wednesday.

GPA, what is this?#

edit: oh yeah gaming gaming gaming

anyone pre-ordered Pokemon HG/SS yet???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (399)
37.64%
No - but I will (82)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (75)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (504)
47.55%

Watched Threads