The Student Room Group

TSR Turkish Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by S-man10
That divorce argument :laugh:

For the sake of exams, I'm going to let it go for now...

Though it's certainly not because I've 'lost'.

Original post by Crazy Paving
BBQ and garlic mayo ta

Well hello there :flutter:

Original post by S-man10
Perhaps everyone is out

More like drowning my sorrows. Last, and probably the hardest exam of my life, is today :emo:

Original post by bluebubblegum
come on guys wake up

Feel too dead :sad:
Has anyone else noticed a trend where this thread seems to die after 'kebab' is mentioned.

Think about it: A man walks into a thread and says 'large doner with chips please'. You're going to ask him if he wants any chilli sauce with that to which he'll reply 'BBQ and garlic mayo, ta' and then he'll leave with his kebap in hand...it's not exactly the best way to invite people if you want them to stay long term.

We need to change this thread from a takeaway kebab place to a çay bahçesi, where people can discuss, debate and philosophise over a never-ending supply of tea (courtesy of maids hollywoodbudgie, INurl and bluebubblegum).

We need to go from this:

To this:

Spoiler

Original post by hollywoodbudgie
For the sake of exams, I'm going to let it go for now...

Though it's certainly not because I've 'lost'.

Don't be such a sore loser. :laugh:
Reply 3082
Question for turks only :smile:

When you go to Kebab shop, do speak English or Turkish? Do you pretend you are non turkish??
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Has anyone else noticed a trend where this thread seems to die after 'kebab' is mentioned.

Think about it: A man walks into a thread and says 'large doner with chips please'. You're going to ask him if he wants any chilli sauce with that to which he'll reply 'BBQ and garlic mayo, ta' and then he'll leave with his kebap in hand...it's not exactly the best way to invite people if you want them to stay long term.

We need to change this thread from a takeaway kebab place to a çay bahçesi, where people can discuss, debate and philosophise over a never-ending supply of tea (courtesy of maids hollywoodbudgie, INurl and bluebubblegum).

We need to go from this:

To this:

Spoiler

Don't be such a sore loser. :laugh:

I'd hardly classify discussion on Womens rights as "Philosophie" if you want a debate pertaining to say: epistemology or idealogy apropos to Ottoman era histoire then sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3084
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
I'd hardly classify discussion on Womens rights as "Philosophie" if you want a debate pertaining to say: epistemology or idealogy apropos to Ottoman era histoire then sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you don't classify it as "Philosophie" you can stand in the corner and listen, no one forces you to join in :cool:

where people can discuss, debate and philosophise over a never-ending supply of tea (courtesy of maids hollywoodbudgie, INurl and bluebubblegum).

And a game of tavla for the lads?
Original post by lNurl
If you don't classify it as "Philosophie" you can stand in the corner and listen, no one forces you to join in :cool:

Okay then I'll define. It's not philosophy. It's an ideological stance and philosophie deals with ideology, but that's not definitive of it being philosophy.
Original post by lNurl
When you go to Kebab shop, do speak English or Turkish? Do you pretend you are non turkish??

What did I say about kebabs? :rant:

To answer your question: In a 'kebab shop' I'd speak Turkish in general, you know 'Şiş nekadar? Bir tane alabilirmiyim lütfen?' but in say a Turkish food centre I tend to 'pretend' that I'm 'non-Turkish' since the conversational landscape is somewhat different. I don't feel like asking 'Nasılsın canım? Bugün saat kaçta bitiriyorsun? Ozaman görüşürüz'.

AntisthenesDogger
I'd hardly classify discussion on Womens rights as "Philosophie"

I never said it was. :laugh:

AntisthenesDogger
if you want a debate pertaining to say: epistemology or idealogy apropos to Ottoman era histoire then sure.

I'm ready when you are. :tea:

To answer your question: In a 'kebab shop' I'd speak Turkish in general, you know 'Şiş nekadar? Bir tane alabilirmiyim lütfen?' but in say a Turkish food centre I tend to 'pretend' that I'm 'non-Turkish' since the conversational landscape is somewhat different. I don't feel like asking 'Nasılsın canım? Bugün saat kaçta bitiriyorsun? Ozaman görüşürüz'.

I never said it was. :laugh:

I'm ready when you are. :tea:

Ah indeed you didn't, I misread :smile: And sure then! Personally I'm interested in more the Seljuq Turks and various Beyliks than the Ottoman era (though I like that also) what's your opinion on the Ottoman era? And well especially some conservative elements in Turkey that harken back to it as exemplary?
Personally I'm interested in more the Seljuq Turks and various Beyliks than the Ottoman era (though I like that also)...

So am I to be honest. In part because it is a lot more mysterious to me. I also wonder how history might have unfolded had the Mongols not defeated the Selçuks of Rum in the battle of Kösedağ. There wouldn't have been an 'Ottoman Empire' of course, which spawned from the most well known of the Anatolian Beyliks that emerged after collapse of the Selçuks.

AntisthenesDogger
what's your opinion on the Ottoman era?

I couldn't possibly summarise my opinions of the Ottoman Empire in one paragraph. I have a rather positive opinion of it. I do think it's overlooked a little in British society (and even Turkish society, to an extent), but I can understand why.

AntisthenesDogger
And well especially some conservative elements in Turkey that harken back to it as exemplary?

Which 'conservative elements' do you mean?

We need to go from this:

To this:

Spoiler

I approve
Reply 3091
X

Haha, good one Ramo!
Original post by lNurl
Question for turks only :smile:When you go to Kebab shop, do speak English or Turkish? Do you pretend you are non turkish??

I always speak Turkish in kebab shops, it gets you extra, not that you need extra seeing as Turkish food shops tend to give ridiculous servings :tongue:

Original post by bluebubblegum
And a game of tavla for the lads?

I can play tavla pretty well too :proud:

But talking about the opposite sex sells more than philosophy. :colone:

I love this analogy :laugh:
Reply 3093

Wait why would you ask these questions at food centre ?))
Original post by lNurl
Wait why would you ask these questions at food centre ?))

The cashiers tend to be women.
Reply 3095
The cashiers tend to be women.

Sounds strange :wink: Can't you just say 'Ne kadar oldu?, Teşekkür ederim. Hoşçakalın' ?
Reply 3096
I always speak Turkish in kebab shops, it gets you extra, not that you need extra seeing as Turkish food shops tend to give ridiculous servings :tongue:

So true, I love these kind people :wink: I got free chips, coke and even sütlaç :smile: yummy. And then when I they ask where I an from and I say Azerbaijan, they make jokes about the soap 'Yahşi Cazibe' :smile:
Original post by lNurl
Sounds strange :wink: Can't you just say 'Ne kadar oldu?, Teşekkür ederim. Hoşçakalın' ?

Because the '£10.98' on the receipt would be the only number I'd be walking out with. :rolleyes:
Reply 3098
Because the '£10.98' on the receipt would be the only number I'd be walking out with. :rolleyes:

How doest it help when you pretend you are not turkish then? :wink:

I can play tavla pretty well too :proud:

I don't know how to play :redface: I was just playing along to Ramocito's stereotypes
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending