Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma.b)
    I think that where I am from, religion is expected to come into it. You either come from a staunch Catholic background or you are staunch Protestant over here (generalisation made for easiness), so therefore you are meant to go with 'the own side'.

My family are all staunch Protestant, 'British' people, and therefore I am expected to want to be with someone that is Protestant. Though for me...religion doesn't matter. I'm agnostic personally (a fact that my family hate), and I don't believe there is proof in there being a god, or there not being a god. I guess I'm sitting on the fence until some divine power from above helps me find my way. So sitting on the fence like that...I can't base who I like/love on it! I'm pretty much open to anyone, any skin colour, race, religion....who I like is who I like is who I like, I don't think that should come into it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aah. I see! That must suck a little

We can't prove or disprove God's existence, I personally do believe in a God, for various reasons... Some seem silly to others but I just do believe in one!

Being a Muslim, I guess I'd probably have to marry one (or if the girl chose to.convert then it'd be fine obviously but they shouldn't convert just to marry someone)

Awww, that's nice! You have an amazing personality to match you! That is rare indeed :eek:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    :lol: don't worry, I swear the only non white thing about me is my skin :rofl:

Work ethic isn't really that specific to race or ethnicity. But Chinese parents are just like "YOU MUST WORK VEWY HARD!"

Religion would be the only thing I think how about you?
    Leave the Chinese parents impressions to me and Bude. :pierre:

It would be great if they ask you to work hard. Unfortunately, they're generally

"YOU NOT WORK HARD HIT YOU WITH FEATHERDUSTER!"
    "YOU GET A*s OR DISHONOUR ALL FAMILY"
    "YOU WANT TO GO HARVARD? YOU READ MATHS BOOK ALL TIME AFTER SCHOOL FINISH!"

ReputationRep:
    Aah. I see! That must suck a little

We can't prove or disprove God's existence, I personally do believe in a God, for various reasons... Some seem silly to others but I just do believe in one!

Being a Muslim, I guess I'd probably have to marry one (or if the girl chose to.convert then it'd be fine obviously but they shouldn't convert just to marry someone)

Awww, that's nice! You have an amazing personality to match you! That is rare indeed :eek:
    It sucks more than that...it's awful having to ask potential suitors what religion they are so that I know I could tell the family or I should possibly smuggle him into the house and hide his Celtic top....

That's religion though - it makes barriers! I don't think I will ever get married, I reckon I'm passing my sell-by date soon! Haha!

But thanks dear! I just have more open thoughts than others, which I guess could be nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurorae)

It would be great if they ask you to work hard. Unfortunately, they're generally

Hhahahahahahaha oh gosh, 'YOU GET A*s OR DISHONOUR ALL FAMILY' :')

That sounds like my parents...White girls can have very strict parents too you know! I actually am not that bad, I am pushed but I'm left to get on with my work. They just want me to do my best so I can achieve what I want, which is understandable!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It sucks more than that...it's awful having to ask potential suitors what religion they are so that I know I could tell the family or I should possibly smuggle him into the house and hide his Celtic top....

That's religion though - it makes barriers! I don't think I will ever get married, I reckon I'm passing my sell-by date soon! Haha!

But thanks dear! I just have more open thoughts than others, which I guess could be nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    that does suck indeed... What would they do if you did bring a catholic/Sikh/Muslim home?

Hmmm... If only everyone agreed on one religion or lack of

Yeah

We get the slipper :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    that does suck indeed... What would they do if you did bring a catholic/Sikh/Muslim home?

Hmmm... If only everyone agreed on one religion or lack of

Yeah
    I don't think they would mind too much, just the expectations would be mucked up! They'd rather me marry a Sikh/Muslim than a Roman Catholic, but that's only because of my family history and Northern Ireland being Northern Ireland.
    Like, I have no problems with Catholics! My step-mum is Catholic (my mum and step dad are the strict ones), and I love her! Some of my best friends are also Catholics, however I just think they don't want me to be 'tainted'.
    Welcome to the wacky world of Northern Ireland Religious Debate and Politics!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Morning everyone

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they would mind too much, just the expectations would be mucked up! They'd rather me marry a Sikh/Muslim than a Roman Catholic, but that's only because of my family history and Northern Ireland being Northern Ireland.
    Like, I have no problems with Catholics! My step-mum is Catholic (my mum and step dad are the strict ones), and I love her! Some of my best friends are also Catholics, however I just think they don't want me to be 'tainted'.
    Welcome to the wacky world of Northern Ireland Religious Debate and Politics!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hahahaha, wow!!! Don't we all believe in the same god move to the other side of the sea :bigsmile:

Next year, apply to Oxford's UNIQ scheme gor experimental psychology! :yy: there's a chance you'll meet one of us there (although everyone'd probably be on different courses)

(Original post by Elm Tree)
    Morning everyone
    Heey
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hhahahahahahaha oh gosh, 'YOU GET A*s OR DISHONOUR ALL FAMILY' :')

That sounds like my parents...White girls can have very strict parents too you know! I actually am not that bad, I am pushed but I'm left to get on with my work. They just want me to do my best so I can achieve what I want, which is understandable!
    Glad you find laughter in my pain. :emo:

Yeah, I can definitely understand why they push so hard for you to get A*s. Sometimes though, Chinese parents and some Asian parents in general don't understand when its going too far (such as the feather duster). Chinese feather dusters have a core of extra strength bamboo, which stings like hell if you get hit (I haven't but I do have a friend who has).

We get the slipper :mmm:
    So about 6mm of metal vs around 20mm of diamond-like bamboo? :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaha, wow!!! Don't we all believe in the same god move to the other side of the sea :bigsmile:

Next year, apply to Oxford's UNIQ scheme gor experimental psychology! :yy: there's a chance you'll meet one of us there (although everyone'd probably be on different courses)

Heey
    We do, we just have different ways of showing it! Oh I'm planning on getting out of this hell-hole ASAP, don't worry...

Let's be serious now, there is no way I'm getting into Oxford! I'd love to but....I barely think I can get into Queens after Sixth Form!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    Morning everyone
    Morning!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Yeah, I can definitely understand why they push so hard for you to get A*s. Sometimes though, Chinese parents and some Asian parents in general don't understand when its going too far (such as the feather duster). Chinese feather dusters have a core of extra strength bamboo, which stings like hell if you get hit (I haven't but I do have a friend who has).

So about 6mm of metal vs around 20mm of diamond-like bamboo? :pierre:
    Hmmm... My mum once threw a stool at me... :lol:

We do, we just have different ways of showing it! Oh I'm planning on getting out of this hell-hole ASAP, don't worry...

Let's be serious now, there is no way I'm getting into Oxford! I'd love to but....I barely think I can get into Queens after Sixth Form!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why should different ways of showing it matter?

Hahaha, soon my friend :')

It's a summer school next year! So it'd be great! You can always try!!! your grades are good enough (after I'm finished with you and maths they'll be great!)

ReputationRep:

Haha, sorry, sorry! Your impressions are spot on!

I just hope I manage them. I can't sleep at night knowing I may only get a C in my GCSE maths ahah;')
    Oh no that doesn't sound good at all!:/ I'd tell my mother and step father to take a run and jump if they ever tried anything like that on me...between my sister and I, I am the disobedient, devil child!:L

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Oxford UNIQ doesn't discriminate against anyone. Given your GCSEs, you'd easily get a place there.

This is the Experimental Psychology course. If me and Shadab choose Mathematics, we could arrange a TSR meetup or something.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... My mum once threw a stool at me... :lol:

Why should different ways of showing it matter?

Hahaha, soon my friend :')

It's a summer school next year! So it'd be great! You can always try!!! your grades are good enough (after I'm finished with you and maths they'll be great!)
    I guess from our point of view it doesn't, but when in Northern Ireland a common way of showing religion is to blow up police cars or maybe threaten families or beat up people...religion can get tricky!:L

I may just do that...We'll see! And the maths...oh dear I did a past paper and oh dear...oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

See I go into a maths exam having revised the things I'm not good at, such a Surds or maybe Loci and Constructions. Then I sit down and realise not only am I bad at Surds and Loci and Constructions, I am also bad at inequalities, and probability, and estimation, and recurring decimals, and volumes and the list goes on and on.
    Like really, how hard can it be?!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oxford UNIQ doesn't discriminate against anyone. Given your GCSEs, you'd easily get a place there.

This is the Experimental Psychology course. If me and Shadab choose Mathematics, we could arrange a TSR meetup or something.
    I'd love a meet up, but chemistry is the one for next year at least :lol: would they be the same week do you think?

I guess from our point of view it doesn't, but when in Northern Ireland a common way of showing religion is to blow up police cars or maybe threaten families or beat up people...religion can get tricky!:L

I may just do that...We'll see! And the maths...oh dear I did a past paper and oh dear...oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

See I go into a maths exam having revised the things I'm not good at, such a Surds or maybe Loci and Constructions. Then I sit down and realise not only am I bad at Surds and Loci and Constructions, I am also bad at inequalities, and probability, and estimation, and recurring decimals, and volumes and the list goes on and on.
    Like really, how hard can it be?!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Surely God wouldn't want that though, see this is what I hate. Violence.

You should! Aurorae has the link above!

Right... We'll go through it... We'll start with surds:

Do you know how to simplify:
    \sqrt8 and \sqrt63
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'd love a meet up, but chemistry is the one for next year at least :lol: would they be the same week do you think?

\sqrt8 and \sqrt63
    Spoiler:
    Show

\sqrt8 = \sqrt4 * \sqrt2 = 2\sqrt2
    \sqrt63 = \sqrt9 * \sqrt7 = 3\sqrt7

I'm better at Surds now.

Just checked and they aren't. :emo:

Haha, sorry, sorry! Your impressions are spot on!

I just hope I manage them. I can't sleep at night knowing I may only get a C in my GCSE maths ahah;')
    Oh no that doesn't sound good at all!:/ I'd tell my mother and step father to take a run and jump if they ever tried anything like that on me...between my sister and I, I am the disobedient, devil child!:L
    Always easy to make impressions of Chinese parents when you have Chinese parents that like to fulfill their stereotype as much as possible.

You'll need to revise Maths later today then! Shadab here is generally a good Maths teacher.

Same haha If I had less 'liberal' parents, they'd probably be in shock at how I've the opposite of what they want me to be.

"YOU BE DOCTOR!" - Nope, Hedge Fund Analyst
    "YOU SWALLOW MATHS BOOK!" (note: He didn't literally say swallow but it was along those lines :unimpressed:) - Prefer to go on TSR than studying from a Maths Book

ReputationRep:

\sqrt8 and \sqrt63
    I hate it too, you aren't alone! Yeah I bookmarked it for some reading later!
    Oh dear Surds.
    Urm, well, this is the thing....no.

I had a question that was rationalising denominators and it involved multiplying out two sets of brackets and it was easy, I just can't do simple things...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Those are right

My aim is to get everyone here an A or higher (if they ask for help)

Today. I'll do:
    Surds Rules (addition/subtraction etc)
    Simplifying Surds
    Rationalising Surds

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

\sqrt8 = \sqrt4 * \sqrt2 = 2\sqrt2
    \sqrt63 = \sqrt9 * \sqrt7 = 3\sqrt7

I'm better at Surds now.

Just checked and they aren't. :emo:

Always easy to make impressions of Chinese parents when you have Chinese parents that like to fulfill their stereotype as much as possible.

You'll need to revise Maths later today then! Shadab here is generally a good Maths teacher.
    LOOKING AT YOUR SPOILER I UNDERSTAND NOW! That doesn't seem too hard at all!

I think I over complicate things...
    Yes maths, I need to revise maths badly!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.