The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mechie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MacDaddi)
Is it an interest of yours? Ahaha in all seriousness, it still surprises me to no end how we can all sound so different!
A wee bit. I'm not a big fan of strong accents, my favourite accents (on woman, certainly) are probably soft Irish and soft Welsh accents. Not a big fan of French accents. Although I'm well aware you get different variations of each!
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was fascinated by accents for a good couple of years, still am to a lesser extent, I'll still analyse the hell out of the accent of every person I come into contact with. It's all quite fascinating really, how people can speak so differently simply because they live a few miles apart. And also how accents can differ so much even in the same area, some accents in my area are almost neutral, almost southern (the only place everyone fails that test is in how they say the letter u; they live "oop" north rather than "up" north) whereas some are an incomprehensible drawl of "Eh oop mih dook, ahm from Lest-oh."

My own accent is an incredibly weird one. It's probably 90% southern, 10% east midlands. I grew up in the latter but I was surrounded by a family from the former and it's sort of informed the way I talk throughout my life.
Blue Meltwater
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Irish accents are wonderful.

Nobody ever seems able to pin down my accent. Though I can guarantee it's not Irish.
bun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Being a linguist, I love dialects and accents. Find it fascinating.
I quite like the Northern Irish accent.
Favourite dialect is, o course, Yorkshire.

Ear all, see all; say nowt,
Eyt all, sup all; pay nowt,
an if tha e'er does owt fer nowt,
allus mek sure tha does it for thissen.

Peter Sellers, one of my all time favourites, did an excellent piece on accents:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRb6zv4SvuM and www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKZMs7RVK8c

Currently trying to learn the Innviertler Austrian dialect - that's blooming tricky!! Wir haben becomes mia hom!
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So a Ukip member gets stabbed by labour supporters and nobody is covering it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
nixonsjellybeans
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nebelbon)
So a Ukip member gets stabbed by labour supporters and nobody is covering it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah only ITV News mate but whose heard of them eh? Theres a lot of stuff like this going on everyday, I doubt it would have been reported if it had happened to not be a UKIP member stabbed by a Muslim.

Having said that knife crime is disgusting.
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
Nah only ITV News mate but whose heard of them eh? Theres a lot of stuff like this going on everyday, I doubt it would have been reported if it had happened to not be a UKIP member stabbed by a Muslim.

Having said that knife crime is disgusting.
What's happening to me. I agree with you!! :eek:

That said, if it were the other way around, I guarantee it would be making the headlines in most media outlets.
nixonsjellybeans
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
What's happening to me. I agree with you!! :eek:

That said, if it were the other way around, I guarantee it would be making the headlines in most meda outlets.
I do talk some sense every now and then (being from Yorkshire and all).

True true, either way it makes juicy headlines.

On an unrelated note old man Blunkett seems to have predicted the future when he said racial tensions would lead to violence in sheffield, as a worrying street skirmish took place.
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do talk some sense every now and then (being from Yorkshire and all).

True true, either way it makes juicy headlines.

On an unrelated note old man Blunkett seems to have predicted the future when he said racial tensions would lead to violence in sheffield, as a worrying street skirmish took place.
hehe

He was absolutely right, as I think most people realised. Scrap this awful multicultural society we live in. It doesn't work, can't work and just causes problems.

Unlike severl UKIPers and Tories, I'm all for mass immigration, provided there is mass integration - and multiculturalism simply doesn't allow that.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
Being a linguist, I love dialects and accents. Find it fascinating.
I quite like the Northern Irish accent.
Favourite dialect is, o course, Yorkshire.

Ear all, see all; say nowt,
Eyt all, sup all; pay nowt,
an if tha e'er does owt fer nowt,
allus mek sure tha does it for thissen.

Peter Sellers, one of my all time favourites, did an excellent piece on accents:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRb6zv4SvuM and www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKZMs7RVK8c

Currently trying to learn the Innviertler Austrian dialect - that's blooming tricky!! Wir haben becomes mia hom!
Haha, I'm sorry, but our accents are absolutely appalling.
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Hehe, I just like the way Nigel Worthington speaks. It's very soothing, so it is. Makes it sound like everything is under control and that he's on top of everything.

Certainly, I prefer it to the more grating Scouse or Brummie accents!!!
nixonsjellybeans
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
Hehe, I just like the way Nigel Worthington speaks. It's very soothing, so it is. Makes it sound like everything is under control and that he's on top of everything.

Certainly, I prefer it to the more grating Scouse or Brummie accents!!!
Thats because Nigel Worthington is an esteemed chap.
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thats because Nigel Worthington is an esteemed chap.
He certainly is.
I'll be in a minority of one I imagine, but I'd go so far as to say he's the best (or at least second best) manager we've EVER had at York. And he's only been with us just over a year.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jarred)
some are an incomprehensible drawl of "Eh oop mih dook, ahm from Lest-oh.".
That's not incomprehensible in the slightest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
nixonsjellybeans
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
He certainly is.
I'll be in a minority of one I imagine, but I'd go so far as to say he's the best (or at least second best) manager we've EVER had at York. And he's only been with us just over a year.
Its funny because he's been linked with us for years (having been one of our star players)! But we always seemed below him and his fancy NI job.
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Its funny because he's been linked with us for years (having been one of our star players)! But we always seemed below him and his fancy NI job.
You're an Owls fan right?
As far as I know, he turned you down to sign on as our new manager.

When he was appointed (ok, this may just be him trying to make himself look all brilliant etc) he said that he had turned down 2 championship clubs (I think there was only you and Burnley looking for managers at the time in the championship) because the 'projects just didn't seem right' and he chose to sign for us for considerably less money because 'here, the chairman has given me full control over player recruitment and coaching, while he tries to improve things slowly but surely off the pitch'.

The new found favourite phrase of Worthington and our chairman is 'chipping away bit by bit' .Our budget is 17th in the league, but they keep banging on about 'slowly but surely, bit by bit, improving this area of the club / that part of the training ground' etc etc. A real sustainable project, one for the long term, with the hope of making the Championship in 10 years, despite having no rich benefactor etc.

So I took from that that he clearly didn't like the way Sheff Wed was run / didn't see it as a long term possibility.

They've both taken a very conservative approach, and quelle surprise, it's working wonders
nixonsjellybeans
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
You're an Owls fan right?
As far as I know, he turned you down to sign on as our new manager.

When he was appointed (ok, this may just be him trying to make himself look all brilliant etc) he said that he had turned down 2 championship clubs (I think there was only you and Burnley looking for managers at the time in the championship) because the 'projects just didn't seem right' and he chose to sign for us for considerably less money because 'here, the chairman has given me full control over player recruitment and coaching, while he tries to improve things slowly but surely off the pitch'.

The new found favourite phrase of Worthington and our chairman is 'chipping away bit by bit' .Our budget is 17th in the league, but they keep banging on about 'slowly but surely, bit by bit, improving this area of the club / that part of the training ground' etc etc. A real sustainable project, one for the long term, with the hope of making the Championship in 10 years, despite having no rich benefactor etc.

So I took from that that he clearly didn't like the way Sheff Wed was run / didn't see it as a long term possibility.

They've both taken a very conservative approach, and quelle surprise, it's working wonders
Yeah I am. Huh you sure?

I hadn't heard of anything like that at the time Jones got sacked :confused: It could have been Millwall and somebody else. We had Steve Evans (the fat bugger) reject us I believe but didn't hear any rumours of worthington being approached. It wasn't on the main forum either With 60 serious applicants I think he applied for the job but had we offered he would have bitten our hand off as a club legend and a decent paycheck to boot. Alas maybe i'm wrong.

Actually do you live in York? We're playing you away in preseason and i'm on about going to watch the match.

EDIT: I know he was interested in our job in 09 after Laws got sacked but he just used it to get an extension with the NI FA.
Mechie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
True :lol: Not a massive fan of the Norn Irn accent myself.
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah I am. Huh you sure?

I hadn't heard of anything like that at the time Jones got sacked :confused: It could have been Millwall and somebody else. We had Steve Evans (the fat bugger) reject us I believe but didn't hear any rumours of worthington being approached. It wasn't on the main forum either With 60 serious applicants I think he applied for the job but had we offered he would have bitten our hand off as a club legend and a decent paycheck to boot. Alas maybe i'm wrong.

Actually do you live in York? We're playing you away in preseason and i'm on about going to watch the match.
To be honest, I've no idea whether it was you guys he rejected or not. We just know he rejected 2 championship clubs and 1 league 1 club (Swindon) to become our manager. We had no idea who the championship clubs were, we kind of just put 2 + 2 together with guessing it was you and Burnley as you were looking for managers. However, there's no proof of that, and of course, other clubs with managers may very well have approached him!! That was just our guess that's all. I don't think that money bothers him that much as I say though - he was making more as a pundit and stuff than he does now as our manager.

Ahh damn. Would have been good to meet you for a drink beforehand. I really want to go to the match because I've quite a few Sheff Wed fan friends. Unfortunately I'm still in France at the time (year abroad). I only get back about a week later.
nixonsjellybeans
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
To be honest, I've no idea whether it was you guys he rejected or not. We just know he rejected 2 championship clubs and 1 league 1 club (Swindon) to become our manager. We had no idea who the championship clubs were, we kind of just put 2 + 2 together with guessing it was you and Burnley as you were looking for managers. However, there's no proof of that, and of course, other clubs with managers may very well have approached him!! That was just our guess that's all. I don't think that money bothers him that much as I say though - he was making more as a pundit and stuff than he does now as our manager.

Ahh damn. Would have been good to meet you for a drink beforehand. I really want to go to the match because I've quite a few Sheff Wed fan friends. Unfortunately I'm still in France at the time (year abroad). I only get back about a week later.
You've got me wondering now :lol: according to a coventry fan forum he rejected them in favour of you, which would make sense as their club is unsustainable at the moment. So thats Swindon, Coventry and one other club hmmm...

Ah typical I might be going next week to York as well. After that i've got no excuse to go there. Indeed its a shame, maybe another time
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (48)
29.63%
No - I got the required grades (94)
58.02%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (20)
12.35%

Watched Threads