The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

It says "should hear before the end of april" in the FSB guide and we were told at the FSB it was still the same timeline. Pretty vague I know. Would love to hear ASAP, nearly 3 weeks since mine and I'm going nuts!
Original post by hyacinthgirl
Can anyone who did the DS FSB in recent weeks remember whether we were told 'by' the end of April or 'at' the end of April for our results?

I realise I'm clutching at straws but it would be so nice to find out this week!

I emailed them about a month ago (my FSB was in February) and was told "you'll receive your results by the end of April". From what I can gather from previous years the final list needs to be signed off by the Permanent Secretary, so perhaps no new is good news!
Original post by TruckBear
Congratulations! I'm an in-service candidate, too - also successful for Central Departments!

I don't know whether it's different in different departments, but in mine they say you don't have to give notice in the same way, as staying within the civil service means it's an internal transfer.

To do that whilst giving yourself a few weeks in between might require applying for unpaid leave though.

But I would think waiting for pre-employment checks to be done before giving notice, if that is what is required, would make most sense, though.

Original post by catty90
I am an in-service candidate too, found out that I had passed the FSAC on thursday for the central departments, and am in a similar position where my line manager knows that I have applied. Actually excited to tell him that I passed on monday (on easter leave). I have spoken to parity, and they told me that due to the fact I am already a civil servant, I can just get HR to inform them that all my pre-employment checks have already been completed, it may be a similar situation for you!
I've been under the impression that it is just an internal transfer therefore notice periods are different.
Hope that helps!

Original post by GManTheGMan
I would just give it about 5 or 6 weeks before your start date depending, on your current contract. That's my personal "I am not a lawyer" opinion, though.

Thanks all. I think it might be different for me as I don't currently have a permanent contract and have to give three months' notice. I think I will wait until after pre-employment checks at least but I've also asked civil service resourcing for their view.
(edited 9 years ago)
Ok. If you're in a normal first intake, you will start September or October. 3 months seems like loads of notice for a non permanent contract. What grade are you?
Original post by ruthbadger
Thanks all. I think it might be different for me as I don't currently have a permanent contract and have to give three months' notice. I think I will wait until after pre-employment checks at least but I've also asked civil service resourcing for their view.

I would check that as I went from temporary to permanent and have only had to give 28 days, I'd give hr a call if you don't want to as.
Original post by mkl7
Hi! Just as a curious non-civil servant about to start as a CD generalist: How did you find the reactions and perception (or how is the general, stereotypical perception) of fast streamers from 'normal' civil servants?

I'm no psychiatrist, and this is not universal, but there is some negative feeling around. It usually takes aspects from the following:
a) Jealousy - that a lot of good opportunities (training, interesting posts, smoother path to multiple promotions) are offered exclusively to fast streamers
b) Belief that fast streamers are undeserving, that they haven't earned their stripes in the lower echelons of the civil service, that they don't understand what it is to do grunt work, that this will mean they won't be good, sympathetic line managers
c) Sense of otherness - fast streamers are often young, often have been to excellent universities, hold their own social events that others can't go to - this otherness can build some resentment
d) Sense of inadequacy - fast streamers are usually very smart, ambitious, and have a clear sense of career direction - more so than most mainstream civil servants

It's completely natural, understandable, human emotion. In the worst cases it can pose one or two challenges. However, the vast majority of civil servants have a sense of professionalism and general human decency that stops the above becoming an issue.

Also, as a fast streamer there are ways and ways of countering the stereotype. It's worth remembering that most civil servants, even those more junior than fast streamers, will have a lot to teach you - for example the best way to put together a physical briefing, the knowledge that being in one department for a number of years can bring e.g. the kinds of language certain Ministers prefer, or how to run an external event. Being open and explicit about the fact you're interested in what your colleagues have to offer can go a long way to developing good relationships. Also, you'll learn a lot, this way.

Worst thing you can do is go in with a superiority complex - you'll confirm mainstream civil servants' worst fears.
(edited 9 years ago)
[QUOTE="EdiAnl;55094009"]
Original post by Slowbro93
Yeah Stats was my second choice, it's more trying to find examples of where I used those techniques (like an index, never used that since GCSE statistics! :tongue: )

Nothing for OR yet, really hope we're both gonna get good news though :hugs:

Has anyone heard anything from GORS? I sent the application form at the same time as the statistics one (over a month ago) and I received an AC invitation from GSS last Wednesday, but so far nothing for OR... Wondering if it is a bad sign.
(edited 9 years ago)
[QUOTE="roeslein;55154581"]
Original post by EdiAnl

Has anyone heard anything from GORS? I sent the application form at the same time as the statistics one (over a month ago) and I received an AC invitation from GSS last Wednesday, but so far nothing for OR... Wondering if it is a bad sign.

Don't know about OR. Only got an update yesterday that my stats application, submitted 3 weeks ago, is finally being considered (warning me to keep checking back once a week), which means all this time it's just been waiting in a queue. So I wouldn't read too much into the wait - it seems pretty random!
[QUOTE="EdiAnl;55156763"]
Original post by roeslein

Don't know about OR. Only got an update yesterday that my stats application, submitted 3 weeks ago, is finally being considered (warning me to keep checking back once a week), which means all this time it's just been waiting in a queue. So I wouldn't read too much into the wait - it seems pretty random!

But that's the thing - I got the update that my OR application was being "considered" three weeks ago (never did for stats - it just went straight from submitted to successful). I guess it might mean that they're waiting to see who else applied before deciding on my case. (I don't blame them - OR is my second choice anyway. It would just be nice to know when the ORAC is so I can keep my schedule open just in case.)
[QUOTE="roeslein;55159331"]
Original post by EdiAnl

But that's the thing - I got the update that my OR application was being "considered" three weeks ago (never did for stats - it just went straight from submitted to successful). I guess it might mean that they're waiting to see who else applied before deciding on my case. (I don't blame them - OR is my second choice anyway. It would just be nice to know when the ORAC is so I can keep my schedule open just in case.)

Perhaps it means if you are in a 'maybe' pile then there were others with much better answers /qualifications. My application form wasn't all that hot, but fingers crossed it still means there is a non zero chance of getting through! 😊
IvanGray what did you want to say as there was no message posted under your name.
Reply 3092
Does anyone have any tips on the FSB? I am applying for GCS and just wondered what prep I should do Ive done quite a bit but a bit nervous given the lack of info compared to the FSAC. Just an idea on how the day will go etc?
[QUOTE="EdiAnl;55159843"]

Perhaps it means if you are in a 'maybe' pile then there were others with much better answers /qualifications. My application form wasn't all that hot, but fingers crossed it still means there is a non zero chance of getting through! 😊
[QUOTE="roeslein;55154581"]
Original post by EdiAnl

I was in exactly the same position as you with the stats but its just changed to awaiting an invite through to the stats assessment centre despite my lack of practical stats, so on the OR front it could be the same for you. I guess they will balance your actual OR practice with academic assets. OR is studied in some Business Studies courses (prob not at high level) and only as part of Applied Maths MSc's in most unis, so they might be looking to see if you MAY be suited to it as opposed to having done loads. So you're still in the running 😁 good luck 🍀
Reply 3095
Has anyone heard what department they will be joining / where their first placement will be yet? Really desperate for some news! I am in the Finance Stream.

Reply 3096
Original post by ailss
Has anyone heard what department they will be joining / where their first placement will be yet? Really desperate for some news! I am in the Finance Stream.

On the Fast Streamers Facebook group we were told tou usually hear two months before you're due to start unless they're expecting you to relocate, in which case you hear earlier.
[QUOTE="EdiAnl;55194803"]

I was in exactly the same position as you with the stats but its just changed to awaiting an invite through to the stats assessment centre despite my lack of practical stats, so on the OR front it could be the same for you. I guess they will balance your actual OR practice with academic assets. OR is studied in some Business Studies courses (prob not at high level) and only as part of Applied Maths MSc's in most unis, so they might be looking to see if you MAY be suited to it as opposed to having done loads. So you're still in the running ������ good luck ������

Well, I was unsuccessful for OR. I do have a background in management science and did a little bit of very basic OR during my master, but they seem to be looking for even more quantitative types. I can't say I mind - it was only my second choice and I was never really into modelling anyway. At least I'll have time to prepare properly for the stats AC. (Good luck for that by the way!)
[QUOTE="roeslein;55205309"]
Original post by EdiAnl

Well, I was unsuccessful for OR. I do have a background in management science and did a little bit of very basic OR during my master, but they seem to be looking for even more quantitative types. I can't say I mind - it was only my second choice and I was never really into modelling anyway. At least I'll have time to prepare properly for the stats AC. (Good luck for that by the way!)

Good luck to you too! Very puzzling process. Feel that they should be more clear about what they actually bloody want in the first place! I was lucky to get through tho may not pass muster in the SAC. Stats very limited, wanted to learn more but the teachers at my uni weren't very good tbh, good luck at the SAC. Do u know roughly when it's gonna happen?!
Reply 3099
I applied for the Civil Service Apprenticeship and then got invited to do the online tests however I haven't heard anything from them since??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending