The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YeloSweetPotato
Thank you so much! I THINK but I'm not sure that someone here mentioned King's interviews on the 8th and another date. So yeah in any way they will all be after the first weekend in January (2nd-3rd), which is reassuring for holiday planning purposes!

I have King's written down as 8th and 11th, but I'm not 100% sure where I got that from, probably from on here.
Original post by treenyc
Although knowing medicine to be uber competitive when applying, when I recieved this email it still came as a shock. 3600???!!! Makes me feel a bit queasy (the reality of it) :s-smilie:

I felt the same when I looked at the UKCAT stats, I was like woooo at the top of 9th decile. Oh. That means at least 2500 people scored higher than me, Loads of them are probably GEM applicants... and there are less than 800 places available in England for grads. Places I'm actually eligible for: 274.

Bum.
Original post by Quilverine
I felt the same when I looked at the UKCAT stats, I was like woooo at the top of 9th decile. Oh. That means at least 2500 people scored higher than me, Loads of them are probably GEM applicants... and there are less than 800 places available in England for grads. Places I'm actually eligible for: 274.

Bum.

Remember there are dentists as well. And the vast majority of ukcat takers are undergrads x
Original post by Medicnohoperno.9
Remember there are dentists as well. And the vast majority of ukcat takers are undergrads x

I'm resolute in my pessimism. This way I'm either pleasantly (ecstatically) surprised or right all along :wink:

Bum.

Only 800 places :s Im going with pessimism too, less chance of disappointment!
Original post by HanaGEM
Only 800 places :s Im going with pessimism too, less chance of disappointment!

But isn't your UKCAT 8796567864? :P
But isn't your UKCAT 8796567864? :P

Haha, not quite, but I suck at interviews, I get really nervous!
Original post by HanaGEM
Haha, not quite, but I suck at interviews, I get really nervous!

I'd start interview prepping now, you will definitely have a few - you could you the first one as practice :P Ask doctor/medical student friends to interview you:3
I'd start interview prepping now, you will definitely have a few - you could you the first one as practice :P Ask doctor/medical student friends to interview you:3

Thats my plan, Ive been looking at the prep stuff on medic portal, when I start work next month I'll be harassing all the docs as well ... Thats also the reason I applied to Leicester, Im hoping that I will get an interview there before Warwick as prep, and they seem to start interviewing early
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by wciselko
Yeah i think I would like Barts the most since I live two minutes away and did my undergrad there as well.
I have Msci in Mathematics :smile: How about you?

Hey! Didn't see this reply hence the lateness!
I have a BSc in biomed. Currently doing a MSc in microbiology and infection!
What's Barts like!? Warwick is close to me so its probably my number one. But saying that, I would take anything! I'd go to med school on the moon if they offered!!! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by christyriot
Hey! Didn't see this reply hence the lateness!
I have a BSc in biomed. Currently doing a MSc in microbiology and infection!
What's Barts like!? Warwick is close to me so its probably my number one. But saying that, I would take anything! I'd go to med school on the moon if they offered!!! :smile:

Hi! Christy if u don't mind could u please tell me .Did you got reference from ur BSc Biomedial science tutor right and then how u given ur predicted grade for Msc .can u text me please because I need to give my predicted grade to all universities my new tutor told me he can give from jan 2016 because im doing project. He cant give predicted grade at the moment.
question about funding

For grad entry, we are supposed to be receiving the loan right? I am a bit confused as everything is changing with conservatives now.
Is this loan means tested? I have been working for one year now, does it mean they will look into my salary for the past year or my parents'? Also, will they look into my savings and give me less if I have some savings?

Think the way it works is for the first year of the 4 year course, you pay something like £3445, then student finance pays the rest, then for year 2,3 and 4 half is payed by the NHS and the other half is payed by student finance.
Does that answer what you were asking or have I misinterpreted the question?
question about funding

For grad entry, we are supposed to be receiving the loan right? I am a bit confused as everything is changing with conservatives now.
Is this loan means tested? I have been working for one year now, does it mean they will look into my salary for the past year or my parents'? Also, will they look into my savings and give me less if I have some savings?

The only bit you'll need to self-fund is the bit the NHS bursary doesn't cover which is £3.5k. You get a student tuition fee loan for the rest of year one. The NHS pay that amount in years 2,3 and 4. You don't repay that and it is not means tested. You will end up with approximately 22k of debt to Student Finance England. This will be added to your undergrad debt and the repayments will start coming out in F1, it will be quite a small amount initially (about £12/month at the base salary for F1). It will be 9% of anything you earn over £21,000 for 30 years or until it has been repaid (which ever comes sooner).

For many the undergrad loan is on a different scheme. You repay your loan when earning over about £17,000 and the term is 25 years. So potentially some of your total amount of debt may be written off sooner should you get the end of the term without having paid it off.

I think there has been a change to maintenance loans for 2016 entry. Living away from home it will be up to £8,200, if you're in London it is up to £10,700 and these are no longer means tested. Whilst this is great for many, those from low income backgrounds are being shafted (in comparison to previous cohorts) as there is no longer a means tested grant. Overall though, it is more fair. Everyone has access to the same amount of funding and everyone has to pay the money back once in employment. In real terms.

Going back to funding that initial upfront payment, if you cannot save this or get help from friend or family there are two graduate loan schemes that could cover that expense plus books, initial move costs etc. Barclays and the Co-op bank offer a government endorsed graduate loan of up to £10k that enters repayment a year after the loan is provided. The interest rate is fairly low as commercial loans go and can be repaid over a reasonably long term. It may be manageable even as a continuing student if you just take the minimum amount needed. This is a one time offer though, it's normally used to fund things like MSc degrees due to the repayments starting one year after the payment. It also enters repayment regardless of your employment status.
(edited 8 years ago)
The only bit you'll need to self-fund is the bit the NHS bursary doesn't cover which is £3.5k. You get a student tuition fee loan for the rest of year one. The NHS pay that amount in years 2,3 and 4. You don't repay that and it is not means tested. You will end up with approximately 22k of debt to Student Finance England. This will be added to your undergrad debt and the repayments will start coming out in F1, it will be quite a small amount initially (about £12/month at the base salary for F1). It will be 9% of anything you earn over £21,000 for 30 years or until it has been repaid (which ever comes sooner).

For many the undergrad loan is on a different scheme. You repay your loan when earning over about £17,000 and the term is 25 years. So potentially some of your total amount of debt may be written off sooner should you get the end of the term without having paid it off.

I think there has been a change to maintenance loans for 2016 entry. Living away from home it will be up to £8,200, if you're in London it is up to £10,700 and these are no longer means tested. Whilst this is great for many, those from low income backgrounds are being shafted (in comparison to previous cohorts) as there is no longer a means tested grant. Overall though, it is more fair. Everyone has access to the same amount of funding and everyone has to pay the money back once in employment. In real terms.

Going back to funding that initial upfront payment, if you cannot save this or get help from friend or family there are two graduate loan schemes that could cover that expense plus books, initial move costs etc. Barclays and the Co-op bank offer a government endorsed graduate loan of up to £10k that enters repayment a year after the loan is provided. The interest rate is fairly low as commercial loans go and can be repaid over a reasonably long term. It may be manageable even as a continuing student if you just take the minimum amount needed. This is a one time offer though, it's normally used to fund things like MSc degrees due to the repayments starting one year after the payment. It also enters repayment regardless of your employment status.

I never got £10k in London and I'm on the max loan... bare in mind I'm in my third year GEM, I got 8.8k as the max in year 1, then year 2 and 3 I;ve got less due to financial circumstances.
NHS Bursary and Student loans are both means tested! Unless that has very unfairly been changed recently (as my loan this year has been cut massively even though I don't get money off parents due to being a grownup but NHS Bursaries going off my dads income for it).
NHS and student loans goes Either off your own income if you;ve worked the last 3 years or your parents.
Original post by lcsurfer
I never got £10k in London and I'm on the max loan... bare in mind I'm in my third year GEM, I got 8.8k as the max in year 1, then year 2 and 3 I;ve got less due to financial circumstances.
NHS Bursary and Student loans are both means tested! Unless that has very unfairly been changed recently (as my loan this year has been cut massively even though I don't get money off parents due to being a grownup but NHS Bursaries going off my dads income for it).
NHS and student loans goes Either off your own income if you;ve worked the last 3 years or your parents.

He's talking about the new way they'll be doing the loans come 2016
Original post by ali.s1002
He's talking about the new way they'll be doing the loans come 2016

Ah, still really unfair for current students... I'm working 12-20 hours a week to make up for the lost loan! you guys are very lucky if it isn't means tested!

I'm pretty sure the loans are still means tested - I just used the government's calculator for 2016/17 and mine came out at minimum (~£3800). However, like was said before, if you've been working for a bit it's off your own income so likely to get a higher loan.
Original post by Clunkles
I'm pretty sure the loans are still means tested - I just used the government's calculator for 2016/17 and mine came out at minimum (~£3800). However, like was said before, if you've been working for a bit it's off your own income so likely to get a higher loan.

I think, but I could be wrong, that its only on your own income if youve lived independently for 3 years, excluding time at university
Original post by lcsurfer

The information I provided above applies to the 2016 cohort onwards. I suspect it will change again for 2017 entry. The change has not and will not apply to continuing students. And yes, it feels very unfair. I graduated last year. During undergrad I had the max loan and a grant and it came to slightly more than I will be getting next year (should I get a place) and I don't forsee living expenses going down any time soon.

Re: means testing. I think a few people corrected me. There is still a sliding scale BUT aren't mature students over 23 automatically classed as independent? Used to be the case but maybe it changed? This all hurts my head. It seems to change annually. I am also a bit anxious about the future of GEM courses. The places available are going down, imperial and UCL have made them unaffordable and Leicester who were early pioneers of GEM aren't running any more new cohorts :-(
(edited 8 years ago)
The information I provided above applies to the 2016 cohort onwards. I suspect it will change again for 2017 entry. The change has not and will not apply to continuing students. And yes, it feels very unfair. I graduated last year. During undergrad I had the max loan and a grant and it came to slightly more than I will be getting next year (should I get a place) and I don't forsee living expenses going down any time soon.

Re: means testing. I think a few people corrected me. There is still a sliding scale BUT aren't mature students over 23 automatically classed as independent? Used to be the case but maybe it changed? This all hurts my head. It seems to change annually. I am also a bit anxious about the future of GEM courses. The places available are going down, imperial and UCL have made them unaffordable and Leicester who were early pioneers of GEM aren't running any more new cohorts :-(

To be classed as independent you need to either be 25 or over or to have supported yourself for 3 years (and be able to prove it), not included receipt of student loans etc during your first degree....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending