Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    Nothing touches winning a WC in football imo. A CL is a great achievement but the WC is unique and you probably only have 3/4 chances to win it in your career.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For a player yeah I can see that.

For a fan I'd prefer winning the CL though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    For a player yeah I can see that.

For a fan I'd prefer winning the CL though.
    Agreed, I'd rather Arsenal won the CL than England the WC...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_91)
    Agreed, I'd rather Arsenal won the CL than England the WC...
    I'd rather England win the WC
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Imagine the night out if England won the WC...

I'm club > country every time though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)

Yeah tbh the country would probably grind to a stand still, although I work for a German company so the spoil sports would probably make me come into work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    NGL I loved that kit.

What are you talking about? Wenger has admitted in the past that Theo is one of our better players, and the one we were missing the most when he was out. I just think that Theo is not impressing Wenger with his overall play at the moment, with Ox and Welbeck seemingly offering more (other than goals), so Wenger is waiting to re-introduce him. I don't buy the idea that Wenger doesn't want or like him, I think Wenger was just hoping Theo would advance more than he did when he was training with Henry a few years ago. Theo would not go to Liverpool, and Wenger wouldn't sell him.
    With Walcott approaching the final year of his contract can see him going for 20m in the summer. I struggle to see him signing a contract extension based on his current situation which means if he doesn't get sold in the summer he will go on a free the following summer. Then again I haven't looked into this much so giving an opinion of which I havent looked into much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Country > Club always.

As much as I love arsenal, seeing England FINALLY getting it right and being able to celebrate with everyone would be incredible.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It doesn't help I hate the majority of the England squad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_91)
    Rosicky is fast becoming one of my favourite players of all time for Arsenal. If you take out the invincibles he's probably my favourite player after Adams.
    He's been one of my favourites for a while. People who work at the club say he is one of the nicest (along with Arteta), he is loyal to a fault, and even now, he is our little Mozart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    With Walcott approaching the final year of his contract can see him going for 20m in the summer. I struggle to see him signing a contract extension based on his current situation which means if he doesn't get sold in the summer he will go on a free the following summer. Then again I haven't looked into this much so giving an opinion of which I havent looked into much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Walcott is going to reach a peak where he bangs them in for fun, then signs a contract extension, then gets injured for 6 months.

That tends to happen with Arsenal players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)

Same. Liverpool would be a great night out if they won it.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, this shows why we are so **** as a national side, people have stopped caring.

All English football fans are stopping the progress of the national team, supporters of premier league sides don't want foreign player caps introduced because it will lower the quality of the league (and the short run prospects of English teams in Europe, even if there are long term benefits, e.g. Spain and Barca, Germany and Bayern).

Supporters of lower league teams don't want the introduction of B teams apart from in the JPT which is a bit pathetic tbf, effectively the league cup equivalent for lower league sides. The logical solution would be to increase the number of English players that lower league teams can loan, my local league 2 team has benefited from loaning out the odd Arsenal, Spurs or even Brentford or Fulham player, but fans then hate teams who simply loan players because there is a loss of culture in the club, you're just a feeder and nothing more.

We also hate teams that abuse the loan system like Watford (although in fairness that was just borrowing Italian players from the owners main team).

Right now there's little hope of a solution to the problem, B teams won't be introduced any time soon, whilst rules on loan deals are too strict and limit your number of loan deals. The solution seems simple, just lower the rules on loaning to allow links between top teams and lower league teams to grow and increase the amount of experience young players can get, perhaps even allow more loan windows so players can return to clubs in injury crisis more easily, so top teams will be able to loan out more players with less risk, but whether it'll come about with loads of teams playing hard ball I am sceptical of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Tbh, this shows why we are so **** as a national side, people have stopped caring.

All English football fans are stopping the progress of the national team, supporters of premier league sides don't want foreign player caps introduced because it will lower the quality of the league (and the short run prospects of English teams in Europe, even if there are long term benefits, e.g. Spain and Barca, Germany and Bayern).

Supporters of lower league teams don't want the introduction of B teams apart from in the JPT which is a bit pathetic tbf, effectively the league cup equivalent for lower league sides. The logical solution would be to increase the number of English players that lower league teams can loan, my local league 2 team has benefited from loaning out the odd Arsenal, Spurs or even Brentford or Fulham player, but fans then hate teams who simply loan players because there is a loss of culture in the club, you're just a feeder and nothing more.

We also hate teams that abuse the loan system like Watford (although in fairness that was just borrowing Italian players from the owners main team).

Right now there's little hope of a solution to the problem, B teams won't be introduced any time soon, whilst rules on loan deals are too strict and limit your number of loan deals. The solution seems simple, just lower the rules on loaning to allow links between top teams and lower league teams to grow and increase the amount of experience young players can get, perhaps even allow more loan windows so players can return to clubs in injury crisis more easily, so top teams will be able to loan out more players with less risk, but whether it'll come about with loads of teams playing hard ball I am sceptical of
    But the PL is no longer the 'best' league - it no longer has the best players, and is no longer the most competitive - in the world. So surely a change is overdue? The problem with the PL is that we've so accustomed to seeing decent foreign players every week that there is an overwhelming amount of foreign rubbish that must be watched every week because managers are scared to take risks with British players.

ReputationRep:
    Taking risks with British players, see Liverpool 2011 and Manchester United with Cleverley+Welbeck and see how that worked out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    But the PL is no longer the 'best' league - it no longer has the best players, and is no longer the most competitive - in the world. So surely a change is overdue? The problem with the PL is that we've so accustomed to seeing decent foreign players every week that there is an overwhelming amount of foreign rubbish that must be watched every week because managers are scared to take risks with British players.
    Think the managers are too scared to take a risk with British players is because you can get a foreign player who would likely cost cheaper than buying a British player while having the same ability

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

The rejection of the B team proposal was a good thing tbh. The introduction of B teams won't help the national team, they would just help the top clubs in England. The top clubs will continue just buying youngsters from across Europe and stick them in their B teams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How much did he even play in the WC? Can't remember him playing 1 game tbh (though I may be completely wrong). It's like Pepe Reina, he may have "won" the WC and 2 European Championships, but if you haven't played a single game including all the competitive qualification games, have you really played a part in "winning" the WC or Euros?
    Dont think that is quite a fair comparison..

mert started 4 of their 7 games, and was substituted on in the other 2.. only missing 1 game.

not to mention starting almost all of their qualification games, and scoring 2 goals in qualification.

Certianly deserves his medal as much as the next guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    Dont think that is quite a fair comparison..

mert started 4 of their 7 games, and was substituted on in the other 2.. only missing 1 game.

not to mention starting almost all of their qualification games, and scoring 2 goals in qualification.

Certianly deserves his medal as much as the next guy.
    Really? Wow I take it back then man deserved his medal, tbh I didn't pay my h attention to the WC because of exams and we were out by the time I finished

Didn't realise he played so many games, I thought he was only their sub cb tbh.

Still, I can see him going tbh, if he doesn't have the drive anymore then his service es aren't needed at this club, that's probably why Arsene has him as stand in captain, so another team will snap him up viera, rvp, fav, verm style

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    I agree the pl isnt the best league in the world, but your average drunk middle age football fan still thinks it is because its competitive. Tbh English players are overpriced and overpaid, far too many examples to give. Chairmen of lower league teams have said so many times that you can buy a player of the same quality for half the price and half the wages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamiesonn)
    The rejection of the B team proposal was a good thing tbh. The introduction of B teams won't help the national team, they would just help the top clubs in England. The top clubs will continue just buying youngsters from across Europe and stick them in their B teams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    B teams would only work if there were caps on foreign players in the team, but I can't see them working any time soon because pur whole footballing system is based on having lots of smaller teams, no other country has the same number of professional leagues.

I personally think improving the loan system to allow a higher number of say under-25 English players to be loaned and multiple loan windows would help a lot, as often failing players will be snapped up by lower league teams and if a top team has an injury crisis its easy for them recall the players and for the lower league team to find a replacement

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.