Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Priority must be a winger or striker, we're quite loaded in cdm atm so can't see us signing anyone there. Still expect us to make a marque signing in the £30-50mil range, we have the funds
    You need one as much as we do and that's saying something.

ReputationRep:
    We got paid for Podolski with his wages. Lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atom y humber)
    We got paid for Podolski with his wages. Lmao
    Rofl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    Rofl
    If you're in fabrics tonight ask for atom. I'll buy your drinks all night. I'm celebrating this daylight robbery HATD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atom y humber)
    If you're in fabrics tonight ask for atom. I'll buy your drinks all night. I'm celebrating this daylight robbery HATD.
    Haha. I dont drink
    If anything he is worth at least the same that we brought him from FC Koln or Colonge dependening on how you spell it

ReputationRep:
    £1.8m upfront plus £2.1m for three seasons..

Oh Wenger :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Priority must be a winger or striker, we're quite loaded in cdm atm so can't see us signing anyone there. Still expect us to make a marque signing in the £30-50mil range, we have the funds
    We could potentially sign Carvalho and Benzema with the funds available, what do you reckon of them? My only quandary would be both would need time adapting to the Premier League. Vidal seems the only one who could acclimatize to the bpl quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Carvalho I don't think would need that long to adapt to the BPL, just living in a new country and Gabriel could help out being a Portuguese speaker, maybe the spaniards as well.

Wouldn't want Benzema though... Doesn't really convince me, would rather Lacazette.

ReputationRep:
    ''The 30-year-old Germany forward has signed a three-year deal with the option of a fourth for a fee that could rise over £10m.

The Turkish Super Lig champions will pay Arsenal just under £1.8m up-front and then £2.1m per season for three years thereafter.

Galatasaray will pay Arsenal a further £1.8m if the option of a fourth year is taken and the Gunners will also be due around £357,000 if Podolski's new side qualify for the Champions League during his contract.''

unreal deal for us tbh. +£100k wages just in time for Petr Cech

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toussaint)
    Carvalho I don't think would need that long to adapt to the BPL, just living in a new country and Gabriel could help out being a Portuguese speaker, maybe the spaniards as well.

Wouldn't want Benzema though... Doesn't really convince me, would rather Lacazette.
    I think Lacazette and Benzema have a hell of a lot of idiosyncasies between them; both are clinical, powerful, paceful (brilliant counter-attacking wise aswell), Lacazette only has room for improvement as opposed to Karim who can only develop so much. I think either are convincing enough to join Arsenal, however Karim has that extra special quality that's missing in our attacking play atm which is why I prefer him more.

ReputationRep:
    Podolski is the main guy tbh, lazy as **** but still would bang in a few sexy goals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefano93)
    I think Lacazette and Benzema have a hell of a lot of idiosyncasies between them; both are clinical, powerful, paceful (brilliant counter-attacking wise aswell), Lacazette only has room for improvement as opposed to Karim who can only develop so much. I think either are convincing enough to join Arsenal, however Karim has that extra special quality that's missing in our attacking play atm which is why I prefer him more.
    Thing is, how many strikers are there on the market that are an upgrade on Giroud? Lacazette as you say can only improve though even then, he's only had 1 really good season. Would have preferred Martinez, don't know if he chose Madrid or we just weren't interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toussaint)
    Thing is, how many strikers are there on the market that are an upgrade on Giroud? Lacazette as you say can only improve though even then, he's only had 1 really good season. Would have preferred Martinez, don't know if he chose Madrid or we just weren't interested.
    Giroud is getting old, we need a new young option and even if Lacazette doesn't bang in his first season, he'll at least have 2 years under Wenger who will hopefully bring the best out of him.

Part of me wants to sign Lacazette because he reminds me of the next Thierry Henry but that's just a sad pipe dream :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Lacazette would suit Arsenal very well tbh. Obviously Wenger will know all about him but being AW will not want to get drawn into a bidding war so perhaps just playing it cool and hoping to get him later. I remember when Giroud was being touted about for £30m and Wenger just kept it cool and got him for £9.6m in the end even with interest from Bayern etc. Hopefully Wenger is in contact with his peeps in France behind the scenes because you'd think we could have him if we wanted him tbh.

Whenever we've signed players from France, Nasri, Giroud, Koscielny, etc Wenger has always done it very private and behind the scenes which I guess is the benefit of being so connected over there. Even if Utd and Ed Woodward went charging in I'd like to think AW would be 2 steps ahead and in the ear of the right people.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard of Aleksandar Mitrovic? He could be an outside the box option for the future, banging them in for Anderlecht, and would at least like to bring him up for discussion. I play a bit of football manager and he is a beast on that though obviously it is an unreliable judge of real life talent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Giroud is getting old, we need a new young option and even if Lacazette doesn't bang in his first season, he'll at least have 2 years under Wenger who will hopefully bring the best out of him.

Part of me wants to sign Lacazette because he reminds me of the next Thierry Henry but that's just a sad pipe dream :moon:
    He might just turn out to be that though! Wenger can work his magic on the next hot French thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Lacazette would suit Arsenal very well tbh. Obviously Wenger will know all about him but being AW will not want to get drawn into a bidding war so perhaps just playing it cool and hoping to get him later. I remember when Giroud was being touted about for £30m and Wenger just kept it cool and got him for £9.6m in the end even with interest from Bayern etc. Hopefully Wenger is in contact with his peeps in France behind the scenes because you'd think we could have him if we wanted him tbh.

Whenever we've signed players from France, Nasri, Giroud, Koscielny, etc Wenger has always done it very private and behind the scenes which I guess is the benefit of being so connected over there. Even if Utd and Ed Woodward went charging in I'd like to think AW would be 2 steps ahead and in the ear of the right people.
    That's a joke right? Nasri and Koscielny both had weeks of speculation with their medicals being done every night for 6 weeks. Both took even longer than Cech/Cazorla to sign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelfox)
    That's a joke right? Nasri and Koscielny both had weeks of speculation with their medicals being done every night for 6 weeks. Both took even longer than Cech/Cazorla to sign.
    Yea but it wasnt like it was all done publicly, Wenger knows enough people in France to keep it all behind the scenes. There were rumours we were interested and then it was just announced, no protracted bidding saga or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    What happens when Coq gets injured?
    We have Wilshere, flam and ox who can play there. I said we were well stocked in that position, not the l that our options were incredible.

Frankly I'd be amazed if we signed a central midfielder, we have 8 players for 3 central positions (coq, flam, wilshere, ramsey, cazorla, ozil, arteta, ox). Even taking away ox that's 7 players, 5 of which will be expecting big starting roles. Only way I see it happening is if we sell Cazorla or flam.

ReputationRep:
    We have Wilshere, flam and ox who can play there. I said we were well stocked in that position, not the l that our options were incredible.

Frankly I'd be amazed if we signed a central midfielder, we have 8 players for 3 central positions (coq, flam, wilshere, ramsey, cazorla, ozil, arteta, ox). Even taking away ox that's 7 players, 5 of which will be expecting big starting roles. Only way I see it happening is if we sell Cazorla or flam.
    Leinad, lets be real here. We are well stocked with mediocre players, if we're talking about Coq's position. Jack, Aaron & Santi play effectively alongside Coq. Not having somone like Coq is basically asking for trouble. Flamini & Arteta aren't good enough to cover for Coq while he's out.

It's all good naming the players that we have at our disposal but how many of those would you feel comfortable with playing against someone like City or Chelsea? It's like saying we're good upfront because if Giroud gets injured then we have Theo, Sanogo, Welbeck & Campbell - when we know that if Giroud and Theo are injured then its almost as good as not playing with a striker.

For the CDM role, specifically Coqs role, we only have Flamini & Arteta. Ozil, Santi, Jack & Aaron are too attack minded to do the dirty work that Coq does and are much more effective alongside him.. Ox hasn't even developed as a central player yet. Flamini & Arteta aren't competent enough to fulfill that role effectively.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 8, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.