Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    Once on placement you'll likely be doing full time hours plus the academic side of the course. I wouldn't recommend working more than a few hours a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by kpwxx)
    For many people I would say no, it's honestly not doable. But some people can manage. You know yourself best and whether you can focus on so many different things at once. Personally I wouldn't recommend it.

Btw, on the essay writing, I did a maths degree with no dissertation and was worried about writing essays but actually found it fine. So don't panic! They offer plenty of support as even those from essay subjects may have been out of education for years.

Can I ask, do you own your own property? If not then do you plan to? I ask because it's likely you'll need to get a mortgage one day. I hate the idea of debt and was very hesitant about taking out more student loans, esp. for the new £9k fees (in England). But then I thought 'If I don't take it now, I will have to take it on a mortgage instead, which is much worse debt than student loan debt'. Even if you worked anyway you'd probably be better saving/investing the money for a deposit, rather than not taking a student loan. Just my personal view though!

xxx

(Original post by pgce2013)
    It is doable, as previously stated it depends on you as a person.

I could not survive as I need to let my body recuperate during my limited free time. I know of many people who are working part time and they are juggling a PGCE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by myblueheaven339)
    I appreciate that some people will find it manageable, I just said that I wouldn't recommend it, just my personal opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Shelly_x)
    I work 5-8 on weekends (so 6 hrs total) and I find that difficult to fit around the work, and also because I just have no time to relax! But it is doable.

(Original post by qwerty_mad)
    I started the PGCE working 15 hours a week but then reduced to 7.5 hours which I'm currently doing. It was manageable but I couldn't commit because of travel from school to work wants feasible and I just wanted a little breather; my job is working with kids.

Do what you can manage - everyone's different. Just be careful not to overburden yourself and make sure you know your priority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for all of your comments I feel a good bit more informed. I currently rent property in the Scottish borders where I am at uni and my loan pays for that and I just have the fear that I will not escape student debt! This year I plan to live in between home and at my bfs in Glasgow. I guess it is just one more year of debt and then the probation year which is paid so that will be good knowing that money is mine and I don't have to pay it back :-D I feel for you guys in England 9k is ****ing crazy!!! I think if that was me, the idea of going to uni would be out of the window! I will look into the loan a lot more. I'm scrimping and saving as it is so without it would be impossible and even though I will be living at home this time, my mum and dad aren't well off enough to provide for me at this age which I have never expected, I've always been really self reliant. Just that this is the first time I feel really stuck with this whole money thing but more and more a loan does seem like the only valid option right now like you guys say its either not doable or it is at a really small amount of hours which would probs only earn me enough for traveling to uni . sorry for the long post aha I guess I am still working it out. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippygirl)
    I feel for you guys in England 9k is ****ing crazy!!!
    We get bursaries though. It costs 9K, and I get a 9K bursary (for secondary English). Some people - who do short-supply subjects like science and MFL - get given twice that amount.

ReputationRep:
    Never been so miserable and treated so dismissively before. A week from hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lantan)
    Never been so miserable and treated so dismissively before. A week from hell.
    Wanna talk about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    Wanna talk about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know it it's gonna help. I'm very tired of getting my confidence trampled over time after time.

ReputationRep:
    So I was offered a job today at my 2nd placement school! So happy!

ReputationRep:
    Well done!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know it it's gonna help. I'm very tired of getting my confidence trampled over time after time.
    I know how that feels. You have my sympathy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Omg Shelly congrats well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    I know how that feels. You have my sympathy

Posted from TSR Mobile
    However, I've managed to realise something just now.

Because I'm a very thin-skinned person originally, I take so many things to heart and let them affect me. That's a waste of internal resources.
    Therefore, I need to consciously learn to be thick-skinned and snap out of the negative pattern of thinking. Forgive anyone who tramples on my confidence - chances are, they don't know what they're doing, and even if they are - you're still stronger. Care less. Look forward instead of looking back and dwelling on those failings. Take the advice, tips, whatever useful - and do it next time.
    Smile.
    Let go!
    They don't deserve so much of your attention.
    I hope I make sense?..

All of this weird eureka after reading this dry article:

http://thenadd.org/modal/bulletins/v8n2a2~.htm

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! That's so amazing! Do you like the school?

I had a uni session today about jobs and think I've messed up my applications by putting some vital info in my cover letter but not my statement, which may explain my lack of interviews so far .

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Congratulations. Tell us more. How it come about??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeLynsey)
    Congrats! That's so amazing! Do you like the school?

I had a uni session today about jobs and think I've messed up my applications by putting some vital info in my cover letter but not my statement, which may explain my lack of interviews so far .
    Yep, I loved it. Look up executive summaries, they're amazing and they've never failed me.

(Original post by qwerty_mad)
    Wow. Congratulations. Tell us more. How it come about??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They had a vacancy so I applied and must have impressed at the interview!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I loved it. Look up executive summaries, they're amazing and they've never failed me
    Yeah I'm going to look at those for my next applications. So annoyed - it never occurred to me that the cover letter would be detached from the application in shortlisting so some of my evidence that I meet the person spec won't have been seen since I put it on the letter.

ReputationRep:
    congratulations!! This is fab news - lovely to hear all your hard work is paying off! Not only that but they have seen you at work so know how good you are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squoosh25)
    We get bursaries though. It costs 9K, and I get a 9K bursary (for secondary English). Some people - who do short-supply subjects like science and MFL - get given twice that amount.
    Not all subjects get a bursary - I'm looking to do RE and I will get sweet FA!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who knows the first thing about education or training knows that students can not learn if they are "stressed". ie over worked, rushed, harassed, tired, over demanded. Yet the teacher's course does exactly that. What message is that giving to teachers ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeLynsey)
    Yeah I'm going to look at those for my next applications. So annoyed - it never occurred to me that the cover letter would be detached from the application in shortlisting so some of my evidence that I meet the person spec won't have been seen since I put it on the letter.
    Oh heck. Most applications have nothing at all to do with the candidate. They are generally about "empowering" the person applying the filter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freida20)
    Not all subjects get a bursary - I'm looking to do RE and I will get sweet FA!
    Quite rightly. Religious studies are a blot on democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippygirl)
    Thanks for all of your comments I feel a good bit more informed. I currently rent property in the Scottish borders where I am at uni and my loan pays for that and I just have the fear that I will not escape student debt! This year I plan to live in between home and at my bfs in Glasgow. I guess it is just one more year of debt and then the probation year which is paid so that will be good knowing that money is mine and I don't have to pay it back :-D I feel for you guys in England 9k is ****ing crazy!!! I think if that was me, the idea of going to uni would be out of the window! I will look into the loan a lot more. I'm scrimping and saving as it is so without it would be impossible and even though I will be living at home this time, my mum and dad aren't well off enough to provide for me at this age which I have never expected, I've always been really self reliant. Just that this is the first time I feel really stuck with this whole money thing but more and more a loan does seem like the only valid option right now like you guys say its either not doable or it is at a really small amount of hours which would probs only earn me enough for traveling to uni . sorry for the long post aha I guess I am still working it out. Thanks

thank you for asking this question. I am also considering continuing my work. My initial term in uni will be 3 days and the other 2 days will be study days (studying, reading, preparing - I assume - but probably full on) and I had been considering using those 2 days to continue working.

In my case though this will be in addition to any student loans and grants I can get. Once I am in placements I would only be able to do weekends. The more I think about it the more I think it will be impossible to juggle everything but I am petrified of not paying my bills.
    I have 2 children and a mortgage and my hubby does not earn a huge amount. When I apply for loans and grant, the money I earn up to sept and his money will both be taken into account. I will get probably about £5-7,000 if I am lucky and this just doesn't seem a liveable amount with all my financial commitments!!!

Are their other routes I can take to get money to live on? I am not eligible for a bursary.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.