Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chernid)
    I thought he was using his normal accent during it, but it was quite confusing. It may make sense logistically as well. With Tennant's Doctor, his accent supposedly came from Rose to do with her imprinting herself on his incarnation or something.

And as Amy Pond was the most important companion during 11's incarnation, it would make sense that her Scottish accent would imprint on 12.
    That's a nice theory, I'd like the Doctor to have a Scottish accent!

ReputationRep:
    Whatever happened to the Doctors' psychic paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    Whatever happened to the Doctors' psychic paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They probably felt that it was a rather overused plot device that allowed the story to develop with far too much ease, so they retired it.

It'd be nice if they brought it back once or twice though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam)
    They probably felt that it was a rather overused plot device that allowed the story to develop with far too much ease, so they retired it.

It'd be nice if they brought it back once or twice though.
    It was seen in The Rebel Flesh where The Doctor uses it to pretend He is a Weatherman but has it appeared in any more recent episodes?
    EDIT:According to Tardis.wikia it has still been used in many more recent episodes, the latest being Nightmare in Silver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    It was seen in The Rebel Flesh where The Doctor uses it to pretend He is a Weatherman but has it appeared in any more recent episodes?
    I don't remember seeing it at all after that.

Mind you, if the Memes have anything to say about how the Twelfth Doctor will enter restricted areas, then it will be all through the power of staring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    EDIT:According to Tardis.wikia it has still been used in many more recent episodes, the latest being Nightmare in Silver.
    He used it to say he was an envoy from the emperor or something right at them landing on the planet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    He used it to say he was an envoy from the emperor or something right at them landing on the planet.
    I must have missed that. Mind you, I had probably zoned out by then.

It was one of those episodes that I really didn't like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam)
    I don't remember seeing it at all after that.

Mind you, if the Memes have anything to say about how the Twelfth Doctor will enter restricted areas, then it will be all through the power of staring.
    It kind of stopped being used to prove identification and more to do other stuff. I don't know why a machine would respond to the paper?

However, I refute its because it was lazy because then the sonic screwdriver would be out like a shot (honestly it fixes all - now it even does wood. It works on WOOD!! :no:).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomd_love)
    It kind of stopped being used to prove identification and more to do other stuff. I don't know why a machine would respond to the paper?

However, I refute its because it was lazy because then the sonic screwdriver would be out like a shot (honestly it fixes all - now it even does wood. It works on WOOD!! :no:).
    When did it work on wood? Did I miss something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muonz)
    In The Day of the Doctor they used it between the three doctors to open the prison door, but it technically took 400 years for the Sonic screwdriver to work out how to do it (Plus the door was open anyway)

Also, it was just a plot device to set up the ending, so I doubt we'll see it do it again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muonz)
    In the 50th anniversary ep.
    He says the screwdriver can work on wood but it takes many hundreds of years so he tells people it can't work on wood. But since the john hurt dr started the calculation (to open the door) it was still going in matt smiths dr's screwdriver (in the furture), even though they were in the same bit of time. Hence they would have been able to open the locked wooden door of the tower of london.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoghurt)
    In The Day of the Doctor they used it between the three doctors to open the prison door, but it technically took 400 years for the Sonic screwdriver to work out how to do it (Plus the door was open anyway)

Also, it was just a plot device to set up the ending, so I doubt we'll see it do it again...
    (Original post by randomd_love)
    In the 50th anniversary ep.
    He says the screwdriver can work on wood but it takes many hundreds of years so he tells people it can't work on wood. But since the john hurt dr started the calculation (to open the door) it was still going in matt smiths dr's screwdriver (in the furture), even though they were in the same bit of time. Hence they would have been able to open the locked wooden door of the tower of london.
    Ah yes I remember. Seems a cheap trick!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muonz)
    Ah yes I remember. Seems a cheap trick!
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think that made sense anyway. If it's locked, the lock will be made of metal surely - which the sonic works on.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    I didn't think that made sense anyway. If it's locked, the lock will be made of metal surely - which the sonic works on.
    Unless was a wooden bar/latch across the door :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    My thoughts on the Christmas special:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't necessarily like where Moffat is taking the show.. The 50th anniversary was great, but I feel like he's trying to sell the comedy aspect way too much, especially with the "Time of the Doctor" episode and somewhat disregarding the story plot-wise. Russell T Davies always had a way of linking everything together when you had least expected it, and so did Moffat during the Ponds era.

There was SO MUCH build up to eleven's departure with the whole "Silence will fall" stuff hinted at a while back during "Day of the moon" and, to be frank, I felt quite let down, particularly with the way eleven regenerated. Really Moffat? Really? I mean, the silence had the potential to be so much more interesting and really prominent villain figures in Doctor Who, and how do they appear in the episode? Freakin CONFESSIONAL PRIESTS! The story pretty much revolved around nothing. A few former enemy cameo appearances, new potential female love interest, the Doctor grew old (which made little, if any sense or relevance to me), two lousy regenerations (the first being completely weird and unnecessary) and BAM!, farewell Matt Smith.

The only bit I probably appreciated was Amy's cameo appearance before the Eleventh Doctor left which was, I think, the only well done segment in the entire episode. This regeneration pales in comparison to tenth's which was, by far, the best. The ranting could go on forever and ever.. Let's just leave it at here, shall we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Unless was a wooden bar/latch across the door :dontknow:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    Aye, they were working out the resonance to disintegrate the door in a similar way that an opera singer can make a glass break.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if there will ever be a decent Dalek story again under moffat as showrunner? It feels like they always either play a small part in an episode (i.e. you see them exploding and shooting things in the background) or they are in poorly written, forgettable episodes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    I wonder if there will ever be a decent Dalek story again under moffat as showrunner? It feels like they always either play a small part in an episode (i.e. you see them exploding and shooting things in the background) or they are in poorly written, forgettable episodes.
    Asylum of the Daleks was quite Dalek focused but I agree Daleks are been thrown in random places for like 1-2minutes and its starting to bug me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Asylum of the Daleks was quite Dalek focused but I agree Daleks are been thrown in random places for like 1-2minutes and its starting to bug me
    Maybe he's just realised how unscary the Daleks have become, and can't think of ways to make them truly frightening again.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.