The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daalchaval
Did ucas just do that again..... Did they?! I think they did. Wow...... They actually hate us. They do. There are no excuses.

My heart stopped for a moment too! Wasn't expecting an email from LSE cause it ain't Thursday but damn, an offer from somewhere else would be nice too. 😪
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Thestudent100
My 8 weeks expired on Friday 😛😛

Posted from TSR Mobile

Decent 😊
Reply 3102
Original post by jchap9776
Yup, haha, look out for the Whiteboy wasted - that'll be me������

Yeah same here tbh, hopefully we will both be going LSE end of Summer aswell
How seriously should I take their reasoning for rejection?

They said it was because my personal statement didn't include enough interest about Economics... I think realistically my GCSE grades were just **** in comparison to most applicants :biggrin:
Original post by Holdaboss
How seriously should I take their reasoning for rejection?

They said it was because my personal statement didn't include enough interest about Economics... I think realistically my GCSE grades were just **** in comparison to most applicants :biggrin:

If it were your GCSEs, surely they'd have just said that?
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
If it were your GCSEs, surely they'd have just said that?

This is why I'm asking. Because to my belief there isn't actually any requirements laid out on the LSE website regarding GCSE's. I honestly thought my personal statement was the strongest part of my application, just quite upsetting that according to their feedback if my personal statement was better I would have got a place.

Perhaps I'm reading into it too much, just wanted to know if anyone had past experience with this because if I decide to take a gap year and re apply once I have my A Levels I know how seriously to view changing my personal statement.
This is why I'm asking. Because to my belief there isn't actually any requirements laid out on the LSE website regarding GCSE's. I honestly thought my personal statement was the strongest part of my application, just quite upsetting that according to their feedback if my personal statement was better I would have got a place.

Perhaps I'm reading into it too much, just wanted to know if anyone had past experience with this because if I decide to take a gap year and re apply once I have my A Levels I know how seriously to view changing my personal statement.

Which programme did you apply for? They say on this link that "Certain departments look for a number of A or A* grades at GCSE" - e.g. Law, Econ.

Noticed you applied for Econ. Could've been a mixture but if they highlighted your PS as the reason, not citing GCSEs, gotta conclude it's the PS.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Which programme did you apply for? They say on this link that "Certain departments look for a number of A or A* grades at GCSE" - e.g. Law, Econ.

Noticed you applied for Econ. Could've been a mixture but if they highlighted your PS as the reason, not citing GCSEs, gotta conclude it's the PS.

Ah fair enough. At least If I reapply next year I know to improve my personal statement as I thought it was good but maybe not ahah :biggrin:

If it is the main reason I suppose it goes to show how your PS really does count :smile:

same i thought my PS was great but they didn't like it :frown:
Original post by imlisa1996
same i thought my PS was great but they didn't like it :frown:

Yeah same. To be fair I did probably put a bit too much focus on my career goal, banking, and how the degree would help me get there. But on the other hand I felt as though I included what I needed to: Relevant work experience; extra curricular activities; reading and research outside of class.

I think what they were trying to get at was that I didn't focus enough on specific details of the course.
Original post by NB1326
Yeah same here tbh, hopefully we will both be going LSE end of Summer aswell

Would be so sick, what course did you apply for?
Original post by air999
Most probably, although I haven't heard back from UCL as yet ( I gave my LNAT in January 2015, pretty late but before the deadline-I guess my decision will take time).

When did you give your LNAT?

I took it back in mid-October - got the offer on Dec 8.
Yeah same. To be fair I did probably put a bit too much focus on my career goal, banking, and how the degree would help me get there. But on the other hand I felt as though I included what I needed to: Relevant work experience; extra curricular activities; reading and research outside of class.

I think what they were trying to get at was that I didn't focus enough on specific details of the course.

I'm the same in terms of career goal, but tried to keep that to a minimum in my ps - tbf I'm still waiting to hear but best of luck to you if you do choose to reapply next year :smile:
Applied for straight International Relations, my four weeks ended last Thursday. Wonder when I'll hear from LSE, they don't quite stick to the dates they provided me with.
Original post by jchap9776
I'm the same in terms of career goal, but tried to keep that to a minimum in my ps - tbf I'm still waiting to hear but best of luck to you if you do choose to reapply next year :smile:

I think maybe they thought 'If you care so much about banking why not go and do it?' rather than doing a degree in Economics.

Thanks, good luck to you too! Hopefully our paths cross with you entering second year and me entering the first after re applying :biggrin:
This thing about Personal Statements not being good enough kinda winds me up. If you think about it the whole point of a Personal Statement is exactly that - it should be personal and therefore unique. We write what is personal to us and I think it is wrong that Unis can use that as a tool to reject an application.

Also when you consider that most of us apply to up to 5 Universities how can we write a statement that works for all of the Unis, more so if we apply for slightly different courses at each Uni?

I think the PS should just be used to give a Uni that extra bit of information that cannot be garnered from a UCAS application.
Original post by JamjamjamT
This thing about Personal Statements not being good enough kinda winds me up. If you think about it the whole point of a Personal Statement is exactly that - it should be personal and therefore unique. We write what is personal to us and I think it is wrong that Unis can use that as a tool to reject an application.

Also when you consider that most of us apply to up to 5 Universities how can we write a statement that works for all of the Unis, more so if we apply for slightly different courses at each Uni?

I think the PS should just be used to give a Uni that extra bit of information that cannot be garnered from a UCAS application.

I think it would help if they allowed us to write more, I sacrificed bits of information here and there I would have loved to include, it's just annoying that these sacrifices could have cost me a place at arguably the best university for Economics in the UK.

That said hopefully UCL like my PS and give me an offer to make up for the disappointment lol :smile:
Original post by atlanticstudent
Applied for straight International Relations, my four weeks ended last Thursday. Wonder when I'll hear from LSE, they don't quite stick to the dates they provided me with.

I also applied for straight IR my 8+4+2 weeks ends this week so I hope they reply however am not getting my hopes up since they really take their time...
Do you honestly think they care about some 4000 characters that for all they know a teacher could have written? It's certainly not an objective way of judging a candidate's potential and can just be used to demonstrate any wider reading or activities one has done to demonstrate interest in the course and preparedness for university studies.
I base this on that despite my not good at all personal statement I still got an offer.
I think it would help if they allowed us to write more, I sacrificed bits of information here and there I would have loved to include, it's just annoying that these sacrifices could have cost me a place at arguably the best university for Economics in the UK.

That said hopefully UCL like my PS and give me an offer to make up for the disappointment lol :smile:

I haven't heard back from LSE yet but I do have an offer from UCL, if that helps?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending