Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Go through the answers and truly understand why you got them wrong. I don't think additional reading will help you anyway, just get more practise in and study the answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marsbar3007)
    hi everyone - quick question to those who have done the exam, are the passages in verbal reasoning longer than the ones on medify? Thanks!!
    I found some were, some weren't but then there are three variations of the exam that everyone gets so could be different for other people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sububzi)
    I've got 7 A* :| But yeah just worrying to see everyone get better scores
    You should be fine judging by the guidelines they've set for an ideal UKCAT score (630 in 2015 cycle however it's been 680ish in the past)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopefulmedic04)
    Not sure, when I was at the campus week with the Reach Programme that's just what they said it was last year
    If you do reach you will gain extra points. So with a ukcat of 660 and reach on top of that you should technically be in a good position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoshBosh)
    My medify mock scores were as follows:
    VR QR AR
    Medify 1: 800, 670, 700
    Medify 2: 800, 750, 750
    Medify 3: 650, 750, 850

VR: Medify 3 is the most accurate representation and the question bank is much easier than the real thing.
    QR: The questions in the exam were actually very easy, they just required multiple steps, so I ended up guessing a few. Medify is generally harder.
    AR: The real test patterns were fairly straightforward, however, there were some partial patterns which I didn't have time to recognise. Roughly the same as medify.
    So for the AR, you didn't encounter any super impossible to solve questions (Like some of them on medify)?

ReputationRep:
    All my mock scores and my actual scores are linked below ( I have included a graph too )
    When did you start preparing? What else did you do to prepare apart from mocks
    How did you review the mock questions? Go through them all?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneAfrica)
    If you do reach you will gain extra points. So with a ukcat of 660 and reach on top of that you should technically be in a good position.
    Unfortunately I only got AAAAB in my exams so I needed reach for a grade booster. Honestly so gutted. Do you about any of the other Scottish unis? Glasgow was my dream tho so really disappointed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopefulmedic04)
    Unfortunately I only got AAAAB in my exams so I needed reach for a grade booster. Honestly so gutted. Do you about any of the other Scottish unis? Glasgow was my dream tho so really disappointed
    Hiya!

Don't rule out glasgow until the averages are released - you never know, there average score may have decreased.

I reckon Aberdeen will interview you. I'm pretty sure that if you did reach and you're in the top 80% of UKCAT scores they will give you an interview. I had a friend that did reach that got an interview with AAAAB and avg 630.

Dundee I'm not sure about. You may be borderline.

Edinburgh will depend on SJT band and personal statement. You'll probably need a band 1 and a very strong PS I'm afraid.

St Andrews I'm not very sure about unfortunately, as I didn't apply there.

Best of luck with the rest of the process!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    Just finished the test and I'm sooooo relieved its over.

I'm very pleased with my scores:
    VR: 640 (Very time consuming and much harder than medify)
    QR: 830 (Easy questions, but many of them took 3-4 steps which was frustrating)
    AR: 820 (I think there were lots of partial patterns, so even though I got the main patterns, I didn't get all the questions correct).
    SJT: 2

This gives me an average of 763 .

Overall I did 14 mocks:
    Kaplan (9 mocks) ranged from 700-750
    Medify 1: 723
    Medify 2: 753
    Medify 3: 750
    Official Mock A: 707
    Official Mock C: 673 (I did so bad on this one, not too sure why)

(If anyone wants further breakdown of my mock scores/ preparation/ tips, quote this post and tell me below)

So, my actual score was better than all my mocks!
    How did you revise and how long.
    Where did you practice Verbal reasoning and what do you mean Kaplan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muz360)
    Hiya!

Don't rule out glasgow until the averages are released - you never know, there average score may have decreased.

I reckon Aberdeen will interview you. I'm pretty sure that if you did reach and you're in the top 80% of UKCAT scores they will give you an interview. I had a friend that did reach that got an interview with AAAAB and avg 630.

Dundee I'm not sure about. You may be borderline.

Edinburgh will depend on SJT band and personal statement. You'll probably need a band 1 and a very strong PS I'm afraid.

St Andrews I'm not very sure about unfortunately, as I didn't apply there.

Best of luck with the rest of the process!

Thank you so so so much!

I still really hope I can apply to Glasgow as it would definalty be my number one choice but I'll just need to wait and see!

I did get SJ band 1 fortunately!! Yeah I'm going to spend the rest of the time I have left writing my personal statement so hopefully I'll have a chance at Edinburgh!

Thank you so much for your response, really appreciate it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarrisonGCSE)
    So for the AR, you didn't encounter any super impossible to solve questions (Like some of them on medify)?
    Yh some medify questions are actually wack, there's nothing like that in the real thing. But do remember, you will most likely get completely different questions to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    When did you start preparing? What else did you do to prepare apart from mocks
    How did you review the mock questions? Go through them all?

Thanks
    I started preparing after my 2 day Kaplan course, so around 4 weeks. I did no more than 2 hours a day. I completed the entire medify question bank in addition to mocks.

Yh I just went over the questions and tried to find a pattern to the mistakes I was making.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    How did you revise and how long.
    Where did you practice Verbal reasoning and what do you mean Kaplan?
    Jheeze none of you guys say please!! Verbal reasoning was mostly medify and mocks.

Kaplan is a test preparation company who run courses and have online question banks and mocks (use Google).

ReputationRep:
    I started preparing after my 2 day Kaplan course, so around 4 weeks. I did no more than 2 hours a day. I completed the entire medify question bank in addition to mocks.

Yh I just went over the questions and tried to find a pattern to the mistakes I was making.
    What were ur medify averages?
    Did u do them before starting the mocks?

I'm not very good at VR.. just got 500 on Kaplan 2?!?!?

My exam is 2nd Sept but I'm thinking of changing it to the 12th (Only other open one)
    I did the Kaplan course a couple days ago

ReputationRep:
    Jheeze none of you guys say please.
    Lol sorry!
    Pretty please!!

ReputationRep:
    What were ur medify averages?
    Did u do them before starting the mocks?

I'm not very good at VR.. just got 500 on Kaplan 2?!?!?

My exam is 2nd Sept but I'm thinking of changing it to the 12th (Only other open one)
    I did the Kaplan course a couple days ago
    Didn't pay attention to medify question bank averages, they aren't very representitive.

Keep practising and don't get disheartened. I actually brought my test forward, I would defo not push it as far back as the 12th, you'll get bored and more frustrated.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't pay attention to medify question bank averages, they aren't very representitive.

Keep practising and don't get disheartened. I actually brought my test forward, I would defo not push it as far back as the 12th, you'll get bored and more frustrated.
    Yeah sadly all the other dates are gone for the week after
    Thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    Lol sorry!
    Pretty please!!
    It's just annoying when I go out of my way to help strangers, yet some people lack common courtesy!!

Don't apologise, it's fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just done my UKCAT today. I got 1930 in total - is this a competitive score for nottingham/UEA/leicester/bristol? I really have no idea! Some of the information on their websites is a tad vague. Thanks in advance for any replies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isabelsloan)
    Just done my UKCAT today. I got 1930 in total - is this a competitive score for nottingham/UEA/leicester/bristol? I really have no idea! Some of the information on their websites is a tad vague. Thanks in advance for any replies
    Hey, I'm starting at Nottingham this September and they went over their application process at the interview so I can give you some info on it. They use a scoring system where they rate your personal statement, best 8 GCSE grades and UKCAT score. Regarding the UKCAT, they score your result in each individual section rather than the overall score. They then total your scores for UKCAT, personal statement and GCSE and the top 50% of candidates are invited to interview.

I can't really tell you how competitive your UKCAT score is without the breakdown of what you got in individual sections, however, if you have brilliant GCSEs and an amazing personal statement you may be able to make up for a low UKCAT score - but don't rely on it as personal statement scoring is probably quite subjective.

This is the document released outlining the process for 2016 entry - https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicin...2016-entry.pdf

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions about applying, interviews etc.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.