OCR 2010 A2 Biology Unit 2 - Control, Genome and Environment Watch

CreativeBass
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm thinking they will link the brain with exercise or something to bring the synoptic of unit 4 about chemoreceptors; how heart rate is affected etc, seeing as that didnt come in the jan paper, and would fit nicely with function of medulla oblongata.
Archen
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CreativeBass)
I'm thinking they will link the brain with exercise or something to bring the synoptic of unit 4 about chemoreceptors; how heart rate is affected etc, seeing as that didnt come in the jan paper, and would fit nicely with function of medulla oblongata.
agreed
i have revised the SAN and initiation of heart beat stuff etc.
as well as baro/chemoreceptors in vagus and accelerator nerves just in case :P
noodlecookie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CreativeBass)
Chemoreceptors detect levels of... chemical....?

Function of medulla oblongata iiiiiisss ummm control of heart rate and breathing rate. Yeah.

EDIT: Oh definitely revise SAN nodes, AV nodes and Purkyne fibres - we went through them again in class a while ago, and last year's AS asked us hardly ANYTHING about the heart!! It's almost certain!!
dopeyangel101
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
right, i'm gonna find some ice cream and eat til i feel better, yay!
conorf199
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
do we need to know about the I-band, A-band etc. in muscles? And what do we need to know about movement round the elbow joint?
CreativeBass
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by noodlecookie)
Chemoreceptors detect levels of... chemical....?

Function of medulla oblongata iiiiiisss ummm control of heart rate and breathing rate. Yeah.

EDIT: Oh definitely revise SAN nodes, AV nodes and Purkyne fibres - we went through them again in class a while ago, and last year's AS asked us hardly ANYTHING about the heart!! It's almost certain!!
Chemoreceptors detect the change in pH which is reduced by the increase in carbon dioxide concentration during exercise because the CO2 reacts with water to form H+ ions (from dissociation of carbonic acid)
steph_v
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've not revised AS or the first A2 unit at all. I don't think I'll bother, if I remember it, I remember it, if not, it shouldn't be too many marks dropped, I don't want to overload my brain with stuff when I've only just properly learnt this unit.

I'm not going to university this year anyway, because I messed up my maths exam today and made it impossible for me to get a B (before people tell me I haven't, I have, I didn't answer enough questions to get the grade I need so, yes, I have missed my AAB offer), so if I really do mess up this exam, it's not the end of the world, because I'm taking a gap year to resit anyway. Takes the pressure off a bit.
noodlecookie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dopeyangel101)
What a great centenary post, lol :lol:
noodlecookie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by steph_v)
so if I really do mess up this exam, it's not the end of the world, because I'm taking a gap year to resit anyway. Takes the pressure off a bit.
That's what they should tell all students instead of making them brick themselves over getting into university - I had a full-blown panic attack yesterday, I was shaking and crying because I need a B in chemistry and I got a U in my January exam, and now I think about it, that was totally un-f**king-necessary!! A gap year's probably what i need and all!!

EDIT: Also, don't want to make 3 posts in a row, but thanks to CreativeBass for helping
aimz08
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(f)describe the interactions between loci (epistasis). (Production of genetic diagrams is not required);

Is this right? There is interaction b/w different gene loci so that one gene locus makes or suppresses the expression of another gene locus?

(g)predict phenotypic ratios in problems involving epistasis;

??
rayray10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Can someone explain the control of heart rate stuff for me please? As in from unit 4. Thanks
tcdc09
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
seeing some of the posts here scares me that i just dont know enough lol - i think it is time to crawl away and cry slightly lol. Good luck everyone for tomorrow
CreativeBass
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://bcs.whfreeman.com/thelifewire...7/4702001.html

Guys, the animation on this on the sliding filament theory is really useful, thought i'd share it with you
steph_v
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That's what they should tell all students instead of making them brick themselves over getting into university - I had a full-blown panic attack yesterday, I was shaking and crying because I need a B in chemistry and I got a U in my January exam, and now I think about it, that was totally un-f**king-necessary!! A gap year's probably what i need and all!!

EDIT: Also, thanks to CreativeBass for helping
Hey, you should have seen me this morning, I cried for a solid 2 hours, I was very melodramatic and kept saying my life is ruined, blah, blah, blah. Part of me still thinks it is, because the admissions process for veterinary is so stressful and difficult, and there's no guarantee I will get another offer. But I'm trying to be realistic now. A gap year, even retaking modules, would be a lovely break and I could finally do the traveling I want to do.

Edit: What is your offer? And where for?
Tinkerbelle ♥
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by aimz08)
Is this right? There is interaction b/w different gene loci so that one gene locus makes or suppresses the expression of another gene locus?

Spot on
dopeyangel101
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What a great centenary post, lol :lol:
and i didnt even do it on purpose lol

woop woop i'm very happy with that post
Tinkerbelle ♥
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dopeyangel101)
haha, I had the cookie dough ice cream out earlier

EDIT: just seen you're in poole! I'm not far away from you lol :ninja:
dopeyangel101
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
and with that, i'm off seeing as if i dont know it now, i'll probs never know it.

cheerio, good luck and all the best

i wont be on here afterwards seeing as i dont like talking bout exams after doing them, but to anyone doing chem, see you on the chem thread tmz D: x
aimz08
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
Spot on
I meant masks right? :P

& the predict the ratios syllabus point? Is it just learning 9:3:4 for recessive and 12:3:1 for dominant?
chuck111
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hmmm i can see social behaiour in primates being the last question or a big marker in this exam
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.6%
No (522)
72.4%

Watched Threads