Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    That would depend on whether or not you'd be comfortable with the extra year(s) of studying.

What happened, did you miss your train?

Spoiler:
    Show
    I bet you got over it quick when the next one arrived two minutes later. :laugh:

:shot:
    i dont mind the extra year of studying, its a prestigious university after all, either this or a decent but less prestigiou uni like westminister

(Original post by TheGameOfScience)
      i dont mind the extra year of studying, its a prestigious university after all, either this or a decent but less prestigiou uni like westminister
      You'd be wise ignoring the prestige of the uni and actually doing what you liked

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by S-man10)
      You'd be wise ignoring the prestige of the uni and actually doing what you liked
      i know, but there is so much pressure about going to a Russell group uni and if you go to a lower uni, you wont be able to find a job plus if i do foundation at queen mary i can do what i enjoyed there instead of a lower university the only difference is this foundation year.

ReputationRep:
      i want to study science preferably biology, but queen mary offers a foundation year followed by a degree in any science of your choice within that university so am i better off just doing a degree and then a foundation in a russell group uni or just a full on degree at a less prestigious uni?
      Normally I'd agree, but he's already clarified he wants to do a biological science subject and tbh most of the subjects are so related you can easily switch between what you're doing halfway through.

The better the uni you go to for a research based course, the far better your employment opitions will be. This may not be the case with business where you can easily make up for with experience, but you can't do so for science.

Russel group unis get extra funding for reseach and have better facilities therefore you can learn more techniques there. In biology, getting a 2:1 isn't all you need, you also need to show you done some decent research in your project and the better the uni, the better the chances you have of doing this.

EDIT: In short... I would really strongly urge you to go to the better uni. I know people who done the fondation year at qmul and they found it good both in terms of learning, but also in terms of establishing friendship groups

EDIT2: Though personally, I'd just stay back a year redoing A levels and travelling and getting some work experience and then reapplying to unis rather than going through a fondation year

(Original post by hollywoodbudgie)

EDIT: In short... I would really strongly urge you to go to the better uni. I know people who done the fondation year at qmul and they found it good both in terms of learning, but also in terms of establishing friendship groups

EDIT2: Though personally, I'd just stay back a year redoing A levels and travelling and getting some work experience and then reapplying to unis rather than going through a fondation year
        foundation*

ReputationRep:
        foundation*

You just discredited your whole advice :laugh:

I don't see the logic of it. I'd say it's better to stay at home to redo some A levels at your college for, what could be, for free, and then just reapply to go to a good uni, rather than having to pay so much for an extra year of university.
            I can see your point and I'd be inclined to agree with you, but some universities can be quite strict about retakes.

(Original post by INurl)
            Hello everyone.
            Hello. :perv:

Spoiler:
            Show
            I mean hello. :top2:

ReputationRep:
            Normally I'd agree, but he's already clarified he wants to do a biological science subject and tbh most of the subjects are so related you can easily switch between what you're doing halfway through.

The better the uni you go to for a research based course, the far better your employment opitions will be. This may not be the case with business where you can easily make up for with experience, but you can't do so for science.

Russel group unis get extra funding for reseach and have better facilities therefore you can learn more techniques there. In biology, getting a 2:1 isn't all you need, you also need to show you done some decent research in your project and the better the uni, the better the chances you have of doing this.

thank you for your answer, i would just like to say though i want to become a science teacher and maybe being able to teach bio a level my family are pressurizing me into going to uni this year so foundation is prob my best bet for entrance into a Russell group like queen mary, but i dont know how the payment for a foundation works because on queen mary website and ucas its says 9000 for the foundation year and degree course of your choice afterwards, i thought u pay extra for foundation? thats why i think i am better off doing a full on degree at a less prestigious uni but taking into account job prospects and what u said as well, it seems like i wont be able to get a gd job if i go to a decent ok uni

ReputationRep:
            i would just like to say though i want to become a science teacher and maybe being able to teach bio a level
            Ohhh in which case, it shouldn't matter about research prestige and all that

(Original post by lNurl)
            Hello everyone.

BTW I hate exams too
            :hugs:

ReputationRep:
            I don't see the logic of it. I'd say it's better to stay at home to redo some A levels at your college for, what could be, for free, and then just reapply to go to a good uni, rather than having to pay so much for an extra year of university.

Here's a guy shouting at you for motivation.

Still can't believe that I never won one of those last person to post here wins threads :sad:
            Youve just depressed me :emo:

ReputationRep:
            Ohhh in which case, it shouldn't matter about research prestige and all that

Really!!!! omg how come lol? you have no idea how happy i am right now!! so prestigious universities only matter when going into research or am i wrong?

oh btw that "you are limitless" video is amazing i am already motivated and now feel bad for not being motivated before!!!

Really!!!! omg how come lol? you have no idea how happy i am right now!! so prestigious universities only matter when going into research or am i wrong?
              I would take what she wrote with a pinch of salt. At the end of the day, only you are qualified enough to make a decision on your life.

oh btw that "you are limitless" video is amazing i am already motivated and now feel bad for not being motivated before!!!
              I didn't even bother watching it. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
              Your loss toots

(Original post by Crazy Paving)
              Youve just depressed me :emo:
              Why? :console:

I think its critical if you want to get into research, but if you want to teach, you're going to need to do teacher training anyway and that'll be the more important part :dontknow:

lol awesome

ReputationRep:
              I would take what she wrote with a pinch of salt. At the end of the day, only you are qualified enough to make a decision on your life.

true point i agree, but i just wanted peoples views and opinions in order to help me in making that decision its just that i have to go to uni this year as i am being pressurized by family and lots of family members who live abroad also asking whether or not i am going to uni, plus i want to just go to a good uni and gain a great experience and just get education over and done with lol

LOOOOOOOOOL but trust me you should its a great motivator

ReputationRep:
              Your loss toots

I think its critical if you want to get into research, but if you want to teach, you're going to need to do teacher training anyway and that'll be the more important part :dontknow:

lol awesome
              thats a good point! my former teacher who has a masters in biochem and teached biology said that its better if you get a first or 2:1 even in an 'ok' uni than getting a 3rd or pass at a high uni, its just that if you went to a higher uni e.g queen mary, kings, imperial, oxford your application will be looked at first by the employer

ReputationRep:
              Your loss toots

lol awesome
              Coz i neva wun x :cry2:

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by Crazy Paving)
              Coz i neva wun x :cry2:
              We should start a new one with blackjack and hookers!

It was like the most useless thread in the world. Dw :hugs:

ReputationRep:
              :sad::parrot::sad:
              • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
              My dear friends

No more exams and 12 days of freedom. :bigsmile:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
            Useful resources
            US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.