Turn on thread page Beta

Singapore Kopitiam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by volante)
    go bristol!
    hey any particular reason why bristol over nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irenicis)
    no real reason la I'm going to bristol so biased towards it hahah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perpend)
    Start on the reading list for your course la ^^;
    Maybe I should. Seeing as it's also probably cheaper to get the books here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonobebe)
    Yep, i'm spending my gap year reading up on materials on my course and taking part time enrichment lessons. but i feel so bored everyday... there's really nothing much to do here now...

Have your uni package arrived?
    Wahhh. I feel so inadequate. I've not touched anything to do with my course at all....

Nope. It's taking forever... Hopefully it'll come within the next few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Why other unis did you apply for?
    I'll be doing econs and finance as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by volante)
    no real reason la I'm going to bristol so biased towards it hahah
    oh okay. for what course?

(Original post by iamlovinit05)
    Why other unis did you apply for?
    I'll be doing econs and finance as well!
    i got bath as well.

ReputationRep:
    oh okay. for what course?

i got bath as well.

I see. You intend to work in the UK for a while after graduating?
    The thing is, I didnt apply to those unis cuz they didnt really do well in the international league table.

ReputationRep:
    I see. You intend to work in the UK for a while after graduating?
    The thing is, I didnt apply to those unis cuz they didnt really do well in the international league table.
    is it? but they are pretty good for economics.

ReputationRep:
    is it? but they are pretty good for economics.
    Yea i know that.
    Take a look at the recent QS/ Times higher education rankings.
    I know league tables arent the best judge of a university, but as we're in Singapore now and don't really know the UK scene, it was my best indicator when i made my applications.

ReputationRep:
    Yea i know that.
    Take a look at the recent QS/ Times higher education rankings.
    I know league tables arent the best judge of a university, but as we're in Singapore now and don't really know the UK scene, it was my best indicator when i made my applications.
    yea, so LSE's my only hope now haha. still waiting for an offer....

ReputationRep:
    yea, so LSE's my only hope now haha. still waiting for an offer....
    All the best to you man, I got rejected by LSE already.
    I've an offer from Manchester.
    Tricky thing is, Manchester is rated good internationally but not that great locally(within UK), So I'm not sure if its good enough to secure me a job.

Argg, i really should have put more thought into my applications.

ReputationRep:
    did you see the news? rjc alone had 30 oxford offers and 39 cambridge offers :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bpbp)
    did you see the news? rjc alone had 30 oxford offers and 39 cambridge offers :eek:
    I did hear about it, but the news attributed that success to the Raffles Diploma, which probably didn't help much. Oxford and Cambridge look for academic factors and don't seek "well-rounded" candidates.

...anyway I didn't exactly fall in love with the atmosphere at RJC, if you know what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    I did hear about it, but the news attributed that success to the Raffles Diploma, which probably didn't help much. Oxford and Cambridge look for academic factors and don't seek "well-rounded" candidates.

...anyway I didn't exactly fall in love with the atmosphere at RJC, if you know what I mean.
    fully understand what you meant.

where did you get the news from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitelily29)
    Wahhh. I feel so inadequate. I've not touched anything to do with my course at all....

Nope. It's taking forever... Hopefully it'll come within the next few weeks.
    hey don't be so negative, at least u work and earn some money.

i hope the package will hurry up!!! at least before mid april! but i was looking through some other uni threads and there's this uni with a tongue-twisting name say that they are still printing the items in the package. i think they mentioned that the booklets will arrive in latemarch/earlyapril, and get to students by few weeks...

ReputationRep:
    Education UK Exhibition 2012
    Hosted /Organised by:
    British Council
    Date:
    Time:
    1000 - 1700
    Place:
    Singapore Marriott Hotel, Grand Ballroom (Level 3), 320 Orchard Road, Singapore 238865

Date: Sunday 18 March 2012
    Time: 1000 - 1700
    Registration: Admission is free but registration is required. Pre-register and stand a chance to win an iPad or movie passes!

To see list of participating universities/colleges, please enter the link below:
    http://www.educationuk.org/Singapore...=1262438002750

U might want to go even if u have firmed your uni, maybe could get to know some people going to the same uni too...
    some ideas of getting to know more people or getting attention includes:
    - holding a placard telling ppl u are going to whichever uni, make sure u write the words in BOLD!!! and do free publicity for the uni (show your loyalty!!!)
    - or maybe stand at the booth and k-po abit, like maybe "Hey u are interested in this uni too? which course?" but dont make yourself seem like police interrogating. (men in blue not the trend now, men in black is haha!)
    - if your uni isn't participating, no worries, some agencies might have the prospectus or booklets too, try entertaining them for just a bit. haha! but dont sign anything!

ok la, the quick reply box is telling me to shutup as the roller keep going up and i couldnt actually see what i am typing right now, but anyway i am just joking with the ideas given, if u want u can do it at your own (minor) risks. teehee!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I'm headed to glasgow in september to do med, anyone else going to glasgow?

By the way, under the conditions of my offer, it mentions IELTS. Does anybody know if this applies to singaporeans as well? I was always under the impression that ielts is only required for countries where english isnt the first language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamandcheese)
    Hey guys! I'm headed to glasgow in september to do med, anyone else going to glasgow?

By the way, under the conditions of my offer, it mentions IELTS. Does anybody know if this applies to singaporeans as well? I was always under the impression that ielts is only required for countries where english isnt the first language.
    Hmmm if under the conditions your offer explicitly states that you must take IELTS, then you should. However, you can try emailing glasgow to confirm. There are offers being made by other universities (uni of manchester for example) that don't require IELTS.

For visa right, IELTS is not a requirement the moment you satisfy your conditional offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bpbp)
    Hmmm if under the conditions your offer explicitly states that you must take IELTS, then you should. However, you can try emailing glasgow to confirm. There are offers being made by other universities (uni of manchester for example) that don't require IELTS.

For visa right, IELTS is not a requirement the moment you satisfy your conditional offer.
    ah right okay, thats good! yeah my conditions explicitly state a IELTS score that I need to get so I think I probably should just take it anyway. pretty free now that jc life is over so no harm I guess

ReputationRep:
    fully understand what you meant.

where did you get the news from?
    I read it in a Chinese newspaper, but the Straits Times also reported it.

(Original post by hamandcheese)
    I have to take IELTS too. It wasn't part of my offer at first, I asked my college about it and they told me my IP Year 4 results don't count since they were more than two years ago (due to NS). $310 gone just like that

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.