The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

anyone applying for st catz?
Original post by AithyTilly
It's so reassuring to see someone else with these kinds of GCSEs here! TSR can be such an irrepresentative slice of people - it's either the people with half a dozen A*s every year since birth, or the ones who clearly don't have a chance at all. I've been panicking about my GCSEs and to a lesser extent my ASs (3A*s, 8.5 As and AABC with sort of extenuating circumstances, respectively) because they certainly don't fit into the first group and I'm scared that means I belong in the second!!! I wanted to go into art until just after the AS exams, so I never worked quite as hard as I could have...

I'm hoping my predictions (A*A*A*), personal statement, reference and written work - there's no test for my course, Arch and Anth - will be enough to squeeze me into the interview, and from there I think I'll have a decent chance as I'm incredibly passionate about the subject and love discussing it with knowledgeable people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As an applicant with 5a*,4a, ab and ABBC at AS, I feel the same! Good luck with your application!
It's so reassuring to see someone else with these kinds of GCSEs here! TSR can be such an irrepresentative slice of people - it's either the people with half a dozen A*s every year since birth, or the ones who clearly don't have a chance at all. I've been panicking about my GCSEs and to a lesser extent my ASs (3A*s, 8.5 As and AABC with sort of extenuating circumstances, respectively) because they certainly don't fit into the first group and I'm scared that means I belong in the second!!! I wanted to go into art until just after the AS exams, so I never worked quite as hard as I could have...

I'm hoping my predictions (A*A*A*), personal statement, reference and written work - there's no test for my course, Arch and Anth - will be enough to squeeze me into the interview, and from there I think I'll have a decent chance as I'm incredibly passionate about the subject and love
discussing it with knowledgeable people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly! I honestly love my subject and I think that's what really matters. A girl at my school - the only one to get in in recent history - got a B in English at AS, and was accepted into English at Brasenose, so it's clear that grades aren't the most important factor!

I have to do the ELAT next month and I'm hoping its goes well so I can at least get to interview, I think if I get that at I'll have a pretty good chance because like you I love having discussions about my subject with anyone I can! Which college are you applying to btw?
Original post by eobrien659
Exactly! I honestly love my subject and I think that's what really matters. A girl at my school - the only one to get in in recent history - got a B in English at AS, and was accepted into English at Brasenose, so it's clear that grades aren't the most important factor!

I have to do the ELAT next month and I'm hoping its goes well so I can at least get to interview, I think if I get that at I'll have a pretty good chance because like you I love having discussions about my subject with anyone I can! Which college are you applying to btw?

Ooooh, good luck! I'm applying to St. John's, how about you? I assume you're from a "disadvantaged school"? That should work in your favour! My school's depressingly good, I think about 10 people got into Oxbridge last year...

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I applied for the MAT I had to put down the campus code for which college I was going to apply to. Now that I'm about to send my application off I've had a sudden change of heart and it won't be the same as what I've put on my MAT application. Do you guys think that'll matter at all?
Hey guys!I'm about to send my ucas application but still can't decide between Christ Church or Balliol..so which one is better suited for medicine? :h:
E&M @ Hertford app sent! TSA is the next step now :biggrin:
Original post by iBall
E&M @ Hertford app sent! TSA is the next step now :biggrin:

I'm applying for E&M at Hertford too!!
Original post by skylake

Nice! How is the TSA coming along?
Ooooh, good luck! I'm applying to St. John's, how about you? I assume you're from a "disadvantaged school"? That should work in your favour! My school's depressingly good, I think about 10 people got into Oxbridge last year...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck to you too!

No it's not really disadvantaged, I think my area is in the top fifth of the U.K. for numbers going to uni. it's a grammar school in Nottgern Ireland though, and the attitude is very anti Oxbridge - I haven't even told my closest friends I'm applying - the attitude is 'Why would you want to go there?' People go Edinburgh, Bristol, LSE every year, but around one a year will apply to Oxbridge. Grammar school are the equivalent of private schools here in Northern Ireland but I think Oxford just views them as state schools which is good! I'm applying to University college!
Original post by iBall
Nice! How is the TSA coming along?

Eh i don't really my marks have varied quite a bit. And there's not that many past papers available unfortunately. And yourself?
Original post by skylake
Eh i don't really my marks have varied quite a bit. And there's not that many past papers available unfortunately. And yourself?

Yeah, it'd be much better if they had more past papers, the CIE thinking skills papers are good for extra problem solving practice but seem harder than the actual ones given. Then the Cambridge one is basically the same too.

I've only done about 3 papers and am averaging just over 70, but I'm losing markets consistently on spatial reasoning questions :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohgodwhatamidoin
When I applied for the MAT I had to put down the campus code for which college I was going to apply to. Now that I'm about to send my application off I've had a sudden change of heart and it won't be the same as what I've put on my MAT application. Do you guys think that'll matter at all?

I would double check with your testing center.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iBall
Yeah, it'd be much better if they had more past papers, the CIE thinking skills papers are good for extra problem solving practice but seem harder than the actual ones given. Then the Cambridge one is basically the same too.

I've only done about 3 papers and am averaging just over 70, but I'm losing markets consistently on spatial reasoning questions :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just over 70 is very strong. I got an email back from Hertford saying they strongly consider 60+ with most successful candidate getting high 60's or above, so I'd say you're in a great position. What are your grades like?
Original post by skylake
Just over 70 is very strong. I got an email back from Hertford saying they strongly consider 60+ with most successful candidate getting high 60's or above, so I'd say you're in a great position. What are your grades like?

Oh nice, that's good then :biggrin:, maybe they don't have such a high TSA cut off then. Just have to deliver on the day haha

GCSE: 7A* 3A 2B (B in Food Tech & French)
AS: AAAAB
A2 Prediction: A*A*A*a

My school didn't do that well @ GCSE so hopefully my scores are contextualised, I believe Hertford had a 7A*. avg last year for admitted E&M. Going to try and use the TSA to make up for weaker parts of my app

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone got any other offers yet??
Original post by purpleumbrella
Oh right, thank you!! My GCSE's weren't amazing, so hopefully the ELAT goes well! (for you too!). I applied Lincoln, what about you? And how's the ELAT prep going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha np! The ELAT is so scary and I am banking on getting prep done in half term...too much work atm from school :s-smilie: thanks gd luck to you too...I went for Somerville though I'm not too fussed about the college choice tbh. I'm sure you'll be great, best of luck! :smile:)
Original post by skylake

Ayy me too! Good luck on the TSA to both of you guys
Anyone applying for Pembroke? :smile:
Original post by humortime
Ayy me too! Good luck on the TSA to both of you guys

thank you!!

Latest

Trending

Trending