Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamjamjamT)
    This thing about Personal Statements not being good enough kinda winds me up. If you think about it the whole point of a Personal Statement is exactly that - it should be personal and therefore unique. We write what is personal to us and I think it is wrong that Unis can use that as a tool to reject an application.

Also when you consider that most of us apply to up to 5 Universities how can we write a statement that works for all of the Unis, more so if we apply for slightly different courses at each Uni?

I think the PS should just be used to give a Uni that extra bit of information that cannot be garnered from a UCAS application.
    I think it would help if they allowed us to write more, I sacrificed bits of information here and there I would have loved to include, it's just annoying that these sacrifices could have cost me a place at arguably the best university for Economics in the UK.

That said hopefully UCL like my PS and give me an offer to make up for the disappointment lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atlanticstudent)
    Applied for straight International Relations, my four weeks ended last Thursday. Wonder when I'll hear from LSE, they don't quite stick to the dates they provided me with.
    I also applied for straight IR my 8+4+2 weeks ends this week so I hope they reply however am not getting my hopes up since they really take their time...

ReputationRep:
    Do you honestly think they care about some 4000 characters that for all they know a teacher could have written? It's certainly not an objective way of judging a candidate's potential and can just be used to demonstrate any wider reading or activities one has done to demonstrate interest in the course and preparedness for university studies.
    I base this on that despite my not good at all personal statement I still got an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holdaboss)
    I think it would help if they allowed us to write more, I sacrificed bits of information here and there I would have loved to include, it's just annoying that these sacrifices could have cost me a place at arguably the best university for Economics in the UK.

That said hopefully UCL like my PS and give me an offer to make up for the disappointment lol
    I haven't heard back from LSE yet but I do have an offer from UCL, if that helps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by powelsmartin)
    Do you honestly think they care about some 4000 characters that for all they know a teacher could have written? It's certainly not an objective way of judging a candidate's potential and can just be used to demonstrate any wider reading or activities one has done to demonstrate interest in the course and preparedness for university studies.
    I base this on that despite my not good at all personal statement I still got an offer.
    That is what the people who have been rejected by LSE because of their personal statements are saying. They have the grades at GCSE and AS and predicted grades at A2 to warrant an offer.....

ReputationRep:

Unlucky mate when did you get your rejection and what stage where you on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecoman123)
    Unlucky mate when did you get your rejection and what stage where you on?
    Cheers mate. I was 6 weeks into my 8 week email, last friday

JamjamjamT: Haha, hopefully this means they are just finalising my offer

ReputationRep:
    Cheers mate. I was 6 weeks into my 8 week email, last friday

JamjamjamT: Haha, hopefully this means they are just finalising my offer
    Hope so too mate

ReputationRep:
    I think maybe they thought 'If you care so much about banking why not go and do it?' rather than doing a degree in Economics.

Thanks, good luck to you too! Hopefully our paths cross with you entering second year and me entering the first after re applying
    Yeah maybe, cheers let's hope so!!

ReputationRep:
    That is what the people who have been rejected by LSE because of their personal statements are saying. They have the grades at GCSE and AS and predicted grades at A2 to warrant an offer.....
    Maybe, I can't say I'm an expert or anything but it seems as if the ps is just a good excuse for a rejection since its assessment is purely subjective so people can't complain, even if the main reason for a rejection were grades that may have been above the requirements but not good enough, but since they are above the requirements people would start complaining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by powelsmartin)
    Maybe, I can't say I'm an expert or anything but it seems as if the ps is just a good excuse for a rejection since its assessment is purely subjective so people can't complain, even if the main reason for a rejection were grades that may have been above the requirements but not good enough, but since they are above the requirements people would start complaining.
    I had 9 A*s and 2 As at GCSE and A*AA at a level (post a level applicant) with a predicted A* in Philosophy a level which I'm sitting in my gap year and I got rejected because of my personal statement

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Where else have you applied to? Have you got offers from those other Unis?
    I want to go to LSE but I also want to go to UCL, Bath, Bristol or Cardiff. I will be gutted if LSE reject me but I am looking at it not like a rejection but just that they found 20 odd candidates that were better than me...
    I am definitely going to University - just don't quite know which one yet ;D
    I got rejected by cambridge. Got offers from UCL Warwick and Edinburgh. I will definitely go to LSE if they give me an offer. Otherwise UCL will be my firm choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudyNow)
    I got rejected by cambridge. Got offers from UCL Warwick and Edinburgh. I will definitely go to LSE if they give me an offer. Otherwise UCL will be my firm choice.
    Ah right. I'm still waiting, like you, to hear from LSE and I'm also waiting for Bath. Can't say for definite where I will firm until all of the Unis have replied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    Would be so sick, what course did you apply for?
    straight econ, hbu?

ReputationRep:
    Im worried about my personal statement now as well. especially since im an international student, I wasn't quite sure how to write it. I did not include outside readings but spoke more of my experiences volunteering and leading groups. i was accepted unconditionally to KCL but LSE seems to be different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saysay)
    Im worried about my personal statement now as well. especially since im an international student, I wasn't quite sure how to write it. I did not include outside readings but spoke more of my experiences volunteering and leading groups. i was accepted unconditionally to KCL but LSE seems to be different.
    I'm sure that is no reason to worry. I didn't include any outside readings either. I focused only on my volunteer work and clubs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB1326)
    straight econ, hbu?
    Same lol

ReputationRep:
    Same lol
    Nice, good luck! where else have you applied?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB1326)
    Nice, good luck! where else have you applied?
    Cheers, same to you! I've got ucl and Exeter aswell as Warwick for econ and industrial org, rejected by cambridge in pool lol. Wbu?

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, same to you! I've got ucl and Exeter aswell as Warwick for econ and industrial org, rejected by cambridge in pool lol. Wbu?
    Got exeter for econ, nottingham and bath for maths & econ! also rejected by cambridge in pool !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.