Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    I've done my A-Levels; I'm starting Medicine in September/October.
    Ooh lovely! Why did you pick medicine instead of dentistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    Ooh lovely! Why did you pick medicine instead of dentistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Without wanting to offend the dentists on here, I think Medicine offers more variety than Dentistry so would interest me more.

ReputationRep:
    Without wanting to offend the dentists on here, I think Medicine offers more variety than Dentistry so would interest me more.
    Ah, that's true

Mind me asking how much work experience you did/voluntary work?

ReputationRep:
    You're so lucky😍 congratulations! What are your stats?

ReputationRep:
    That's TSR for you...about 90% of people on here are sciency people. Me included.
    Haha fair enough, suppose the few people that want to talk about their education are either extremely intelligent, needing support with choices and procedures or both :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yeah I got told by someone the average age for a qualified maxifacs surgeon is 37!

But I also got told by a Dentist that it's a "dying profession" - he wanted to do maxifacs but didn't in the end. He told me how other medics can pretty much do a lot of the stuff maxifacs used to cover nowadays - which I guess is right.

I did some shadowing in the dental hospital by me, and I was able to talk to a lot of BDS students which helped confirm my interest in dentistry
    I was considering dentistry and have some work experience next year. Is it more competitive than medicine because there are less dental schools? Also is it a guaranteed job at the end because with medicine you do foundation training but is it the same with dentistry?
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    Ah, that's true

Mind me asking how much work experience you did/voluntary work?
    I guess it's different between each individual though. Dentistry is also an extremely good career path to follow, just not one that interests me personally. :nah:

Not at all...I'll list it for you and describe what I saw:

Work experience:

- Some time in Renal Medicine in the local hospital where I live (saw kidney biopsies and insertion of dialysis lines into patients as well as shadowing doctors on their ward rounds etc.).

- Some time in Cardiology in a Military Hospital in Pakistan (saw insertion of pacemaker...basically an artificial heart into patients who's heart isn't working that well and shadowing docs on their ward round).

- Some time in ER (A&E, as it is known in the UK) in Pakistan again. This was probably the most shocking one for me...I saw someone die basically after suffering a cardiac arrest. :sadnod:

- Some time in a GP surgery. Before I did this, I wasn't expecting it to be that interesting. I actually enjoyed it a LOT though. It's no where near as intense as the environment in a hospital but it was still very interesting.

Voluntary:

- Helped out with assisting elderly patients at a GP surgery.
    - Tutored kids in Maths and Chemistry in my free time.
    - Helped out with the Samaritans.
    - Helped out with this Medical Research project in my free time.

I don't have nearly as much voluntary work as others, but the key is to mention what you gain out of your experiences in your PS as opposed to that quantity that you did. Try to get varied experience if you can, you end up seeing a lot more that way. It's also good fun getting work experience, I really enjoyed mine.

(Original post by Elliottmanwaring)
    You're so lucky congratulations! What are your stats?
    Thanks.

GCSEs: 8A*s, 3A's
    A-Levels (achieved): A*A*A*AAA (no need to do this many...I did so for my own, weird reasons. ).

I applied last year too but ended up with 4 pre-interview rejections so decided to take a gap year. This time around, I have an offer at Plymouth and interviews at Imperial and SGUL in the next couple of months. Waiting to hear from Liverpool.

Voluntary/work experience stuff is above.

If you or anyone else has any questions regarding Medicine (I guess you could try me with Dentistry too but I may not have the answers ) applications, feel free to ask.

(Original post by Steliata)
    Haha fair enough, suppose the few people that want to talk about their education are either extremely intelligent, needing support with choices and procedures or both :rolleyes:
    You done your mocks yet (I can't remember if I've asked you )?
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Study Helper
    xx
    Merry Christmas! :wavey:
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Nirgilis)
    Merry Christmas! :wavey:
    You too :jumphug: I hope you had a good day? Get anything good? :awesome:
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Study Helper
    You too :jumphug: I hope you had a good day? Get anything good? :awesome:
    Hehe, it was alright thanks . And I did pretty well out of Christmas too! :awesome: . About a tonne of chocolate, a new frying pan, wok and knife set ( :drool: ), an alarm clock and a new pair of SoundTrue headphones from Bose (been pining after them since they've come out and me parents finally saved up enough to get them :dance: ). My SO got me slippers that are just SO FLUFFY and Frozen on DVD :awesome:

How about you? . Are you having an alright time with the weather where you are?

ReputationRep:
    You done your mocks yet (I can't remember if I've asked you )?
    Yep, I got 10A* and 2A, which I'm very pleased with and I'm confident I can recreate it in summer. Unfortunately it means all my teachers are like 'DO STEM SUBJECTS CLEVER CHILD', but I don't want to do that so nope :hand:

And it's okay that you don't remember, you must speak to so many people on here! :awesome:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Got the offer? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    What does everyone predict for their summer exams and what does their school predict? My school predicts really low.
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    Hehe, it was alright thanks . And I did pretty well out of Christmas too! :awesome: . About a tonne of chocolate, a new frying pan, wok and knife set ( :drool: ), an alarm clock and a new pair of SoundTrue headphones from Bose (been pining after them since they've come out and me parents finally saved up enough to get them :dance: ). My SO got me slippers that are just SO FLUFFY and Frozen on DVD :awesome:

How about you? . Are you having an alright time with the weather where you are?
    Awesome :awesome: Knife set, eh...a preventative measure for trolls on here, I wonder? Frozen :love:

Mine was great, thanks! First Christmas in a while where I wasn't stressing out or upset/panicking about something. The weather here is insanely hot! It was 35ish d/c yesterday :coma: I hear it's beginning to snow in the UK? I hope it stops so that my flight back to the UK isn't delayed or anything :afraid:

(Original post by Steliata)
    Yep, I got 10A* and 2A, which I'm very pleased with and I'm confident I can recreate it in summer. Unfortunately it means all my teachers are like 'DO STEM SUBJECTS CLEVER CHILD', but I don't want to do that so nope :hand:

And it's okay that you don't remember, you must speak to so many people on here! :awesome:
    That's bloody awesome - congrats! :awesome: Meh, just do what you enjoy, as cheesy as it sounds.

Thanks. :awesome: Yeah, I have to talk to all sorts of people on here. Some of them can get a bit rude with me so I remember what they say to me the best :emo:

(Original post by Black Rose)
    Got the offer? :awesome:
    I did :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _-_Ella_-_)
    What does everyone predict for their summer exams and what does their school predict? My school predicts really low.
    For my summer exam results, I hope that i'm going to get almost straight Bs and D or E in French, maybe even a few As but maybe I'm just being too optimistic. Although, my school predicts that I'm going to get a As and A*s except my French teacher, they already know that I'm not going to get a high grade in that subject.

Or are you asking about what would actually happen? Cause, if you do, then I predict a massive turn-out of student procrastinators, a couple with panic attacks, mood swings and a few cases of nervous breakdowns. But if you ask the school, they'll say great, prepared students who have started revision way before the exams.

What about you?

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    I did :awesome:
    Congratulations, very well deserved :jumphug: Where from?
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    Congratulations, very well deserved :jumphug: Where from?
    Don't play nice with me, Pond, you'll always be in my bad books :hand:

Nah, seriously, thanks :jumphug: From Plymouth Medical School. Have interviews at Imperial and SGUL too in the next few months.
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Study Helper
    Awesome :awesome: Knife set, eh...a preventative measure for trolls on here, I wonder? Frozen :love:
    Hehe, I've decided to appeal to the troll's better nature . If I change my profile picture to the following, maybe they'll start feeling bad for me and stop?

Spoiler:
    Show

Mine was great, thanks! First Christmas in a while where I wasn't stressing out or upset/panicking about something. The weather here is insanely hot! It was 35ish d/c yesterday :coma: I hear it's beginning to snow in the UK? I hope it stops so that my flight back to the UK isn't delayed or anything :afraid:
    Haha! Sounds awesome! :awesome: . When you coming back? . I haven't looked out of my window yet, so I'm not sure of whether it's snowing around Heathrow, but all the midlands airports are a little bit white at the moment .

Did you get much for Christmas or anything?
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    Hehe, I've decided to appeal to the troll's better nature . If I change my profile picture to the following, maybe they'll start feeling bad for me and stop?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Haha, I wish! :rofl: I think someone once said that they hope I die of cancer or something on here and since then, I've decided to try to look all tough and stuff with trolls.

Haha! Sounds awesome! :awesome: . When you coming back? . I haven't looked out of my window yet, so I'm not sure of whether it's snowing around Heathrow, but all the midlands airports are a little bit white at the moment .
    Flying back next Friday night, so should be back on the Saturday. :yep: I hate night time flights though, all dark and scary. :afraid: As long as Heathrow is OK, I'll be fine

Did you get much for Christmas or anything?
    Oh yeah! Parent's got me an iPhone and then siblings got me various stuff and money which I may use to buy some of Michael Jackson's albums (I'm a HUGE fan ) on iTunes. :awesome:
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Hi, guys! For all of you GCSE students, I'm going to be updating my blog more regularly on how A-Levels are going, so if you're interested, please follow me on Tumblr! Shameless self promotion here, sorry about that! Please give me some suggestions of anything you'd like to see! I'm thinking about the change from Y11 to Y12 and how to apply to university, as well as revision tips etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.