The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fabruttledge
Haha I don't blame you! It's one of those uni's mainly full of Oxbridge rejects .

Got any evidence to support this claim - or it just 'I assume', or 'My teacher says'?
Original post by returnmigrant
Got any evidence to support this claim - or it just 'I assume', or 'My teacher says'?

Well cmon! He got rejected so it's OK to be a bit bitter :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fabruttledge
Haha I don't blame you! It's one of those uni's mainly full of Oxbridge rejects anyway so wasn't keen.

'Oxford rejects' are students of a very high intellect who unfortunately did not get a place at Oxford after interview. Any university would be lucky to get them.
Just received an offer from Warwick! I'm surprised seeing as my GCSE's and A-levels aren't that great.
I'm stuck between Warwick and Leeds now.
I'm still waiting on Nottingham though...
Hey I just heard back from Lancaster. Got an offer.
So that means I have unconditional offers from Lancaster, Leicester and Reading. Rejected by SOAS. Waiting for Kent (though I don't think I'll go there).
Can anyone please tell me which college would be the best for graduate prospects? And the teaching? I'm an international student btw. Are any of these colleges "top tier"? I mean, I obviously know that they're not on the same level as Oxbridge or Nottingham, but how good would you say they're considered to be?
Original post by TiffanyMak
If you don't mind me asking, what HL's did you choose for IB? I'm quite interested in doing Law in uni, but I have no idea if my subject combinations are ideal for LSE.

I'm doing
HL
History
English Language and Literature
Business and Management

SL
Math studies
Biology
French Ab Initio

Hey :smile: sure happy to help.

I am doing HL: Eglish Lang & Lit, History and Economics and SL: Math, French, and Biology.

I would say English and History are very helpful for studying law. You will write a lot of essays in these classes, especially History, and these courses will challenge you to think critically of texts. You will definitely see an improvement if you stay dedicated to these subjects.

Math and Biology will not be so much help for Law. I am not sure about Business but Econ does certainly challenges us to think critically of situations so I think it does help although not as much as English and History.

TOK is very helpful as well. Basically, any social science class helps you get a hindsight of human nature, which is important for law.

I am not sure about how they will view Math Studies... but maybe it may not be so much problem as you are applying for Law. You have made some nice course choices that will open up a wide range options, not just law, while applying for uni. Good luck :smile:
Should I hesitate when I am choosing Nottingham over Queen Mary? :smile:
Original post by asgunsur
Should I hesitate when I am choosing Nottingham over Queen Mary? :smile:

No.

Nottingham is undoubtedly better than QM for law, and most other subjects for that matter.

Only real reason for choosing QM would be its location, but even that's not very important when considering MC firms visit Nottingham's law fair and not many visit QM's.
Just firmed Nottingham with Exeter as insurance! :smile: Declined KCL and Leeds
Original post by TelAviv
No.

Nottingham is undoubtedly better than QM for law, and most other subjects for that matter.

Only real reason for choosing QM would be its location, but even that's not very important when considering MC firms visit Nottingham's law fair and not many visit QM's.

location is not an important factor for me :smile: thank you for your answer!
Original post by galatasaray1905
Hey :smile: sure happy to help.

I am doing HL: Eglish Lang & Lit, History and Economics and SL: Math, French, and Biology.

I would say English and History are very helpful for studying law. You will write a lot of essays in these classes, especially History, and these courses will challenge you to think critically of texts. You will definitely see an improvement if you stay dedicated to these subjects.

Math and Biology will not be so much help for Law. I am not sure about Business but Econ does certainly challenges us to think critically of situations so I think it does help although not as much as English and History.

TOK is very helpful as well. Basically, any social science class helps you get a hindsight of human nature, which is important for law.

I am not sure about how they will view Math Studies... but maybe it may not be so much problem as you are applying for Law. You have made some nice course choices that will open up a wide range options, not just law, while applying for uni. Good luck :smile:

Don't forget in choosing IB subjects the likelyhood of getting a 7 in the HL subjects. This is by far the hardest part of IB. English universities are very unfair in their treatment of offers for IB candidates. The higher grade univerisities are usually asking HL766 or even 776 in the case of Cambridge. If you are doing subjects like English and History only 3% of candidates worldwide will obtain a HL7 in the final exam. Even if you could be very lucky to get a 7, the problem is your school cannot realistically predict you will get a 7. I had the problem with KCL that I chose the 3 most demanding IB HL subjects. Even though the school reference stated I was the highest achieving student in the subjects and would highly likely be in the top 5% of all students, that was still not enough to give a predicted grade of 7. Result automatic rejection from KCL for not meeting criteria. That they don't understand the improbability of there own criteria is telling. You will be far better doing the 3 most easy subjects rather than to stretch yourself academically, either that or arrange to do Alevel instead.
Why are Bristol taking so long. :frown:
Original post by pinkisthefloyd
Hey I just heard back from Lancaster. Got an offer.
So that means I have unconditional offers from Lancaster, Leicester and Reading. Rejected by SOAS. Waiting for Kent (though I don't think I'll go there).
Can anyone please tell me which college would be the best for graduate prospects? And the teaching? I'm an international student btw. Are any of these colleges "top tier"? I mean, I obviously know that they're not on the same level as Oxbridge or Nottingham, but how good would you say they're considered to be?

Congratulations on your offers, in league tables Lancaster obviously dominates, however Leicester makes quite a lot of solicitors for the regional firms and their presence at the Bar is quite reasonable as well.
http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities is pretty helpful if you intend to practise.
Original post by Student98x
Just received an offer from Warwick! I'm surprised seeing as my GCSE's and A-levels aren't that great.
I'm stuck between Warwick and Leeds now.
I'm still waiting on Nottingham though...

Well done!!
What were your GCSEs/AS/Predicted if you don't mind me asking? And when did you apply? Congratualations again!
Has anyone thought about emailing Nottingham? It seems like they're taking ages and I'm especially worried since accommodation applications have just opened. I applied for Law with Spanish and I haven't heard anyone receiving an offer or getting rejected for that course??
Original post by andrad
Has anyone thought about emailing Nottingham? It seems like they're taking ages and I'm especially worried since accommodation applications have just opened. I applied for Law with Spanish and I haven't heard anyone receiving an offer or getting rejected for that course??

Snap! You're the only other Law with Spanish person I've seen on this thread! Where else have you applied, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't really see the point in E-mailing them because I doubt they'd tell us much. I'm just planning on waiting it out... Qué será, será.

I refuse to give up hope. So I am choosing to ignore what the fact that accommodation applications have opened may suggest with regard to the outcome of my application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bobkata
Can someone help me with making a decision on my insurance choice.
I will put Durham as my firm but can't decide between Newcastle and Sheffield as an insurance.
My course in Sheffield is quite interesting as it offers one year abroad (in Germany) where I will get some experience in German public law.
The course at Newcastle is just straight law.
Can anyone help or share anything?
Thank you :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations!! Best of luck and I hope you get into Durham! Sheffield with the year abroad is a fantastic opportunity and it is a way of setting you a part from other students when applying for training contracts etc. However, Newcastle is a better law school and may (not guranteed) give you better employment opportunities! Well done again and I wish you the best of luck!
Original post by tamsinb123
Snap! You're the only other Law with Spanish person I've seen on this thread! Where else have you applied, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't really see the point in E-mailing them because I doubt they'd tell us much. I'm just planning on waiting it out... Qué será, será.

I refuse to give up hope. So I am choosing to ignore what the fact that accommodation applications have opened may suggest with regard to the outcome of my application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes 3 of us applying for law with spanish, and 3 of us who have yet to receive an offer!
I actually did email them two weeks ago and in short, they said to wait.

Good luck guys!
worried about KCL after seeing so many offers. around how many are they sending per batch?
Original post by TiffanyMak
If you don't mind me asking, what HL's did you choose for IB? I'm quite interested in doing Law in uni, but I have no idea if my subject combinations are ideal for LSE.

I'm doing
HL
History
English Language and Literature
Business and Management

SL
Math studies
Biology
French Ab Initio

Hi Tiffany!!

I applied for Law at LSE, and I do the IB too :-). I think having HL History & HL English really helps (even if it isn't Literature). I know that Business Mangement is on the LSE list of "non-preferred" subjects- of course, this doesn't mean that you will be rejected because you take business!

I believe that Maths Studies (I take it too) doesn't really impact your application at all, especially because its Law you're applying for here. I had a similar worry at the beginning though, but I asked the the admissions guy who came to my school for a talk and he says that maths studies doesn't impact your application! PS + Grades (IB & GCSEs) weigh a lot in the application process I believe!

Hope this helped, best of luck for you application x

Latest

Trending

Trending