Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVocalSardine)
    How did you calculate a score /900 to make this table? I might borrow your idea.....
    I was given my score out of 900 after I did my mocks. But for the official mocks, I just used the table in the Kaplan book as I wasn't given a score.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how many questions you have to have correct in order to get a band 1 in the UKCAT? Estimates?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipanda99)
    Anyone know how many questions you have to have correct in order to get a band 1 in the UKCAT? Estimates?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In the actual exam I'd say a total score of like 45, much lower than Medify and Kaplan's 51. I think they're much more lenient in the actual test.

ReputationRep:
    it seems like everyone is getting an average of 730+ this year... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the hotkey is to clear the calculator when doing the ukcat?

For the practice test it's the escape key, and the backspace key does nothing.
    However, according to the following, it's the backspace key: https://twitter.com/ukcatest/status/502466449055576064

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    In the actual exam I'd say a total score of like 45, much lower than Medify and Kaplan's 51. I think they're much more lenient in the actual test.
    Thanks, just to clarify, is it around 45 completely correct answers or does it include partially correct answers too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fred5134)
    Does anyone know what the hotkey is to clear the calculator when doing the ukcat?

For the practice test it's the escape key, and the backspace key does nothing.
    However, according to the following, it's the backspace key: https://twitter.com/ukcatest/status/502466449055576064
    The backspace will clear the screen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipanda99)
    Thanks, just to clarify, is it around 45 completely correct answers or does it include partially correct answers too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Including partial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    sorry hot shot would u like me to kiss your ass while i'm at it?
    Don't come asking a stranger for help without giving them a bit of courtesy. I have no obligation to help you.

In fact I really do wish you well on the test (you'll need it) and remember politeness is key for the situational judgement

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    is it only me that finds the isc 1000 ukcat really hard :/. does anyone know if the book is a fair representation of the actual test??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PND98)
    is it only me that finds the isc 1000 ukcat really hard :/. does anyone know if the book is a fair representation of the actual test??
    I wouldn't use the book, it is way harder than the actual test. Medify/ Kaplan are the most accurate representation

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoshBosh)
    I wouldn't use the book, it is way harder than the actual test. Medify/ Kaplan are the most accurate representation

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did you go through the mastery kaplan book?

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody got any advice on how to tackle quantitive reasoning and abstract reasoning? I am struggling with time management for both these sections and am not sure what would be the best way to approach these sections to achieve as many marks as I possibly could.

ReputationRep:
    For VR comprehension questions is it better to skim the text once and then mostly guess the hard ones and do the easy ones. Because I've just started doing this style (I finished true false can't tell) and it takes me like 3-4 minutes per passage because I'm trying to fully check every single statement like 😬 help me pls

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoshBosh)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    wow that was a waste of time haha. Thank you for your reply. The book was really really hard. I was properly panicking cause I was struggling to do a lot of the questions and only 6 more days until my test. i'm just gonna stick to medify haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    For VR comprehension questions is it better to skim the text once and then mostly guess the hard ones and do the easy ones. Because I've just started doing this style (I finished true false can't tell) and it takes me like 3-4 minutes per passage because I'm trying to fully check every single statement like 😬 help me pls

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What I did was I just looked for key words/ phrases from the questions. This isn't quite as effective when it's a really open ended question but it worked for 90% of them.

Whatever works best for you is most important though 🙂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    Did you go through the mastery kaplan book?
    Nope

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had my UKCAT exam a few days ago, and got the following*
    VR: 600 - lol what
    QR: 850
    AR:700
    Band 1
    Average of 716.7

The resources I used were the Medify online bank for about a month (very relaxed - 20 min to an hour a day) and the 1000q book for a few days.

I found Medify to be an excellent resource, and probably the best out there at the moment. The VR in the exam was harder than any practise i had done, mostly because the questions and options were very long and there weren't many key words etc. The QR was a lot easier than any practice, and my advice for AR is to revise the different types of questions, not just the main stream type 1 questions. I used Medify as my main resource, and I think this was one of the only down falls of the resource, as most of the questions were based on type 1.

Any questions, please ask

Please suggest any universities that you think I would be a good candidate for. I obtained AAB at a level, both the As in chemistry and biology, and have a first class degree. Primarily looking for graduate courses, but also open to undergrad courses if my UKCAT isn't high enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NAP1029)
    What I did was I just looked for key words/ phrases from the questions. This isn't quite as effective when it's a really open ended question but it worked for 90% of them.

Whatever works best for you is most important though 🙂
    Thank you so much I'll try it tomorrow ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My exam is in a month and I've already started revising for it. I'm focusing on verbal reasoning more this year as it was significantly weaker than my QR and AR scores (thank God they scrapped DA as well). I was just wondering though, I have Kaplan's UKCAT book (2015 edition) and I've been using their methods and I've done the questions in their book, and I did pretty well in them. I recently bought the 600Q and 1000Q isc book and I've been doing their VR questions, and I've been scoring 4/8 mainly, sometimes 5/8. It's a bit annoying because I've actually had quite a lot of practice with VR now and I'm not seeing SIGNIFICANT improvements, you know? So I was just wondering how your scores in the books compared to your actual score in the exam? Is 4/8 very bad, or is it just that the isc book questions are harder?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.