Maths Uni Chat Watch

SimonM
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by My Alt)
Did I mention that I hate maths?
I get that cyclically, often at the start of term.
SimonM
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ste0731)
Anyway, anyone else got exams or just us bloody manc students?
Nope. I'm home already, watching the football
sonofdot
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SimonM)
I get that cyclically, often at the start of term.
At the start of term, I am fresh-faced and full of enthusiasm for maths. :yes: The hatred kicks in around week 5
Rocious
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you probably shouldn't waste your time reading this mess. it just felt good to write.

is anybody else massively massively screwed this year? i basically got told to **** off by the physics dept today for reasons i can't really argue with and am now a 1st year maths student who knows shag all about analysis, linear algebra, mechanics and calculus and needs to pick up stats and abstract algebra to replace my physics modules. :/

i do actually intend on getting into 2nd year like. i mean today i printed out all of this year's linear algebra assignments and got out the reccommended book and worked for a while but jesus christ there is soo much of it. :woo:

i mean obviously this mess is completely my fault for being so lazy and i'm probably *****ing to lovely, hard-working people who are aiming for firsts and seconds and whatnot.

but seriously, the way it's looking like i might actually have to study tomorrow instead of getting pissed and date-raped. on paddy's day ffs!

ok there's my feelings explosion over. if somebody could just reply saying their dad just died or something, that'd make me feel loads better.

the truth is no matter how badly i do they'll let me repeat at the end of august. i just want a free summer.
ste0731
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rocious)
you probably shouldn't waste your time reading this mess. it just felt good to write.

is anybody else massively massively screwed this year? i basically got told to **** off by the physics dept today for reasons i can't really argue with and am now a 1st year maths student who knows shag all about analysis, linear algebra, mechanics and calculus and needs to pick up stats and abstract algebra to replace my physics modules. :/

i dot actually intend on getting into 2nd year like. i mean today i printed out all of this year's linear algebra assignments and got out the reccommended book and worked for a while but jesus christ there is soo much of it. :woo:

i mean obviously this mess is completely my fault for being so lazy and i'm probably *****ing to lovely, hard-working people who are aiming for firsts and seconds and whatnot.

but seriously, the way it's looking i might actually study tomorrow instead of getting pissed and date-raped. on paddy's day ffs!

ok there's my feelings explosion over. if somebody could just reply saying their dad just died or something, that'd make me feel loads better.

the truth is no matter how badly i do they'll let me repeat at the end of august. i just want a free summer.
I can assure you that isn't true :o:

No matter how bad it gets... Don't study tomorrow if you celebrate paddys day :p: Lifes never that bad.
Rocious
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
really though even if it wasn't paddy's day i'd probably be all "i can't study today, it's humpday!".

i should have done english or something i could BS.

i hope there aren't any english students reading this thread for whatever reason. or overly diplomatic maths students...
SimonM
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
really though even if it wasn't paddy's day i'd probably be all "i can't study today, it's humpday!".

i should have done english or something i could BS.

i hope there aren't any english students reading this thread for whatever reason. or overly diplomatic maths students...
Start cutting yourself deals: "I can go out tonight, if I study X amount today"
assmaster
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
is anybody else massively massively screwed this year? i basically got told to **** off by the physics dept today for reasons i can't really argue with and am now a 1st year maths student who knows shag all about analysis, linear algebra, mechanics and calculus
Yes, I empathise a lot. Just remember Easter holidays are long, and revising in bed is way more fun than listening to a lecture.
TheTallOne
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by assmaster)
Yes, I empathise a lot. Just remember Easter holidays are long, and revising in bed is way more fun than listening to a lecture.
Revising in bed doesn't work for me. I end up falling asleep :nn:
My Alt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by around)
Which sheet? I have the feeling too sometimes (mainly analysis).
All of them. I can understand hating the pure ones, but even the stuff I'm supposed to find interesting and be reasonably good at (e.g. applied stuff) is killing me atm. So yeah Tensors and Relativity right now.
assmaster
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TheTallOne)
Revising in bed doesn't work for me. I end up falling asleep :nn:
I probably would too if I wasn't such a wriggler... I can't wait to get home though, there's just no bed as good as your own bed.
ste0731
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Today = DRUNK day! Especially as coursework has been handed in
My Alt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I haven't been sober all week hi5
ste0731
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by My Alt)
I haven't been sober all week hi5
well played
v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have two April exams, during the break.

Number Theory and Group Theory on the 12th, Probability on the 14th. Scary.

Only department in the whole Uni to have exams fall during the break. Fantastic.

I need a coffee.
majikthise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I like the fact that exams are in two blocks, makes revision far less stressful.
Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
If you think you played great last night then you need your head examining, you even admitted to playing retarded :rolleyes: Erm if flop comes JAA and your holding JJ, you have a fullhouse, so only AA beats you, so yes you can still play that.

Beating someone in one tournament doesn't constitute to better, you failing to take down that last night shows weakness.

had ODE test today, Think ive got 20/23 at a guess. So not too bad
Linera algebra on friday worth 15% of grade, not looking forward to that.
That was to throw people off. At the end of the day I beat you and you couldn't take it. Thought you had me figured out but when I called you couldn't understand. No, the flop came out A9J. He had AA, I had JJ.

To be fair, I only lost because of that. I had quite a bit more chips then him and yeah, he went all in. I thought he had A9 so called. Then, lol AA.

Stop playing css and revise.

(Original post by SimonM)
Start cutting yourself deals: "I can go out tonight, if I study X amount today"
The problem with that is induction

Its okay to study 1 hour and (If you study x amount, then studying x+10secs amount is better). Therefore you should study all the time.
ste0731
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)

Stop playing css and go out get very drunk
Ok
assmaster
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
St Patrick's Day = leery wolf-whistling. From Maths nerds, of all people!

Durham's exams are all in one block - one week, 6 exams, 2 on the first day, 2 on the last day, and one is on a Saturday! Uncool.

Also, I know have radio stash, with "assmaster" written on the back of my hoodie! Got a few weird looks when that was handed out...
v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by assmaster)
St Patrick's Day = leery wolf-whistling. From Maths nerds, of all people!

Durham's exams are all in one block - one week, 6 exams, 2 on the first day, 2 on the last day, and one is on a Saturday! Uncool.

Also, I know have radio stash, with "assmaster" written on the back of my hoodie! Got a few weird looks when that was handed out...
Why do people make such a big thing of Paddy's day? I'm actually part Irish and see no reason to celebrate. :confused:

I have always found the celebration of the passage of time, in all of its forms, to be very odd.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (553)
37.82%
No - but I will (115)
7.87%
No - I don't want to (103)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise