Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    Hi, guys! For all of you GCSE students, I'm going to be updating my blog more regularly on how A-Levels are going, so if you're interested, please follow me on Tumblr! Shameless self promotion here, sorry about that! Please give me some suggestions of anything you'd like to see! I'm thinking about the change from Y11 to Y12 and how to apply to university, as well as revision tips etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    wow just had a peek 7 a* congrats!!! il look at your blog when you post because im often told its such a jump from gcse but i always say u must like it if you chose subjects you enjoy though? so i look forward to reading your blog:awesome::awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ha27)
    wow just had a peek 7 a* congrats!!! il look at your blog when you post because im often told its such a jump from gcse but i always say u must like it if you chose subjects you enjoy though? so i look forward to reading your blog:awesome::awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! I have a love-hate relationship with my subjects, really. Some people are happier than me with their choices and some people really regret them. It completely depends on the person!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I have a love-hate relationship with my subjects, really. Some people are happier than me with their choices and some people really regret them. It completely depends on the person!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ahh i understand im thinking of taking food tech eng lang and lit ( as i love lang but most places dont just do lang so i have to do both) and sociology/psychology but i dont know about my 4th yet...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ha27)
    ahh i understand im thinking of taking food tech eng lang and lit ( as i love lang but most places dont just do lang so i have to do both) and sociology/psychology but i dont know about my 4th yet...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why not both Psychology and Sociology?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why not both Psychology and Sociology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hmmm i was thinking that but i know they do overlap wuite a bit and it would be a loooott of writing... but its always an option!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ha27)
    hmmm i was thinking that but i know they do overlap wuite a bit and it would be a loooott of writing... but its always an option!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you like them both equally then you should take both. Have you considered a science? It sounds like Biology would suit you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elliottmanwaring)
    Well done on your predictions! N'aw cool! Where abouts are you from? Haha I am not going to apply to Oxbridge, I don't really care where I go, a degree in medicine is a degree in medicine at the end of the day
    Yeah that's what our career advisor says 😂 she was screaming at this boy in my class as he went on the medicine league tables 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    I want to do GapMedics too! For Dentistry though!

My cousin's girlfriend did it a couple years ago - she really enjoyed it.
    Really? I have never known anyone personally who has done it as I just found it online one day so completly on my own on this one ☺️

ReputationRep:
    Oh guys btw what do you think I should do for my fifth AS? I have already decided on maths, biology and chemistry, and general studies is conpulsary right up to a2 ( ) and its between either RS or Geography. I will probably drop it so leaning more to geography as It comes more naturally so hopefully will do better but In RS you have the ethics side which links to medicine but nothing really in geography does? What do you think?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Izzyyyyy)
    Oh guys btw what do you think I should do for my fifth AS? I have already decided on maths, biology and chemistry, and general studies is conpulsary right up to a2 ( ) and its between either RS or Geography. I will probably drop it so leaning more to geography as It comes more naturally so hopefully will do better but In RS you have the ethics side which links to medicine but nothing really in geography does? What do you think?
    You really don't need to do five. Oh, wait, sorry, I didn't see General Studies. Eew. I'd say Geography if you prefer it. Plus, it's more respected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    Is anyone on here looking to do arts or humanities? Or are you all sciency people lol
    Meee! I'll be applying for English Lit. or Creative writing when I go to uni, though there is also a possibility that I take up Biology/Pshycology/Behavioural sciences if it can be done (yeah, this shows just how indecisive I am), chances of me taking a pass on English literature are almost none though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    That's bloody awesome - congrats! :awesome: Meh, just do what you enjoy, as cheesy as it sounds.
    Thanks :awesome: I'm surprised schools don't say to do what you enjoy more often, they say do employable things but really there's need for everything. And then they scratch their heads when everyone is moaning and getting stressed... :facepalm:

(Original post by thesarcasticone)
    Meee! I'll be applying for English Lit. or Creative writing when I go to uni, though there is also a possibility that I take up Biology/Pshycology/Behavioural sciences if it can be done (yeah, this shows just how indecisive I am), chances of me taking a pass on English literature are almost none though.
    Huzzah! High five! (there needs to be a high five emoticon)

It just so happens that my boyfriend's sister does psychology at Bangor and his mum's doing a degree in Childhood and Youth Studies with the OU (I think - not sure entirely). She's a teacher and is interested in child psychology, especially things to do with learning disabilities like autism which affects their family quite a lot. So lots of psychology over here lol. I don't know what I'm going to do but I'm taking it one step at a time and choosing stuff I enjoy :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    If you like them both equally then you should take both. Have you considered a science? It sounds like Biology would suit you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    noo waay i understand there is some science involved in psycholology but me and science arent friends... although biology is my strongest out of the 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks :awesome: I'm surprised schools don't say to do what you enjoy more often, they say do employable things but really there's need for everything. And then they scratch their heads when everyone is moaning and getting stressed... :facepalm:

It just so happens that my boyfriend's sister does psychology at Bangor and his mum's doing a degree in Childhood and Youth Studies with the OU (I think - not sure entirely). She's a teacher and is interested in child psychology, especially things to do with learning disabilities like autism which affects their family quite a lot. So lots of psychology over here lol. I don't know what I'm going to do but I'm taking it one step at a time and choosing stuff I enjoy :ahee:

• Yes, there should be a high five emoticon!
      Haha, I too, am into lots of Psychology stuff and I like it but I've always been interested in English Lit./Creative Writing.The advisors in our school are always on about how ''you'll do great if you choose Medicine/Psycology/ Neuroscience!'', that's okay and all, I'm good at it but that doesn't mean can force me into not taking what I'm interested in >_>

Indeed, I hope you choose whatever you love doing! They say it's quite a burden when you're doing something and not passionate about it

• Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad

There is a high five emoticon . . . :five:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Of you don't want to do general studies, you could talk to your head of year maybe about it later on

But I guess it's free ucas points 😂 not that any universities for medicine like it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really? I have never known anyone personally who has done it as I just found it online one day so completly on my own on this one ☺️
    She said it was really good, she went to India for two weeks but they stopped doing placements in India 😢

Would you do volunteering while there too? Which location would you want to go to?

Btw I think they change their locations every so often from the looks of it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is a high five emoticon . . . :five:
    So there is. Didn't realise it was a high five :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesarcasticone)
    Yes, there should be a high five emoticon!
    Haha, I too, am into lots of Psychology stuff and I like it but I've always been interested in English Lit./Creative Writing.The advisors in our school are always on about how ''you'll do great if you choose Medicine/Psycology/ Neuroscience!'', that's okay and all, I'm good at it but that doesn't mean can force me into not taking what I'm interested in >_>

Indeed, I hope you choose whatever you love doing! They say it's quite a burden when you're doing something and not passionate about it
    I like the look of Psychology and stuff too but it's not what I want to do. To be honest I like the look of most things lol

Creative writing is pretty good too. You can make it whatever you want it to be And yeah, we're choosing options in January - everyone else is stressing about what unis will like but I'm just doing what I enjoy :cool:

ReputationRep:
    You really don't need to do five. Oh, wait, sorry, I didn't see General Studies. Eew. I'd say Geography if you prefer it. Plus, it's more respected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Alright, thanks teachers still seem to think that general studies "is accepted by unis" not all haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.