Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsukurutazaki)
    I know that we're not allowed to have jobs during term time, but does anybody know if masters students can work during the holidays (I know that there is still work to be done for postgrads, but still)? Money is going to be tight for me.
    You are allowed to work as long as it is not for more than 40% of your time/year/something (don't remember exactly which it was.) I intend on getting a part-time job and, to be fair, how will they even know if you don't declare anything?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    I know that we're not allowed to have jobs during term time, but does anybody know if masters students can work during the holidays (I know that there is still work to be done for postgrads, but still)? Money is going to be tight for me.
    (Original post by omgwhat)
    You are allowed to work as long as it is not for more than 40% of your time/year/something (don't remember exactly which it was.) I intend on getting a part-time job and, to be fair, how will they even know if you don't declare anything?
    The only limitations to work outside term are a) if you are on a visa that limits your hours (20 hours per week?) and b) the amount of academic work you still have to do. They aren't referred to as 'holidays' for a reason!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    The only limitations to work outside term are a) if you are on a visa that limits your hours (20 hours per week?) and b) the amount of academic work you still have to do. They aren't referred to as 'holidays' for a reason!
    Thanks for your answer. I know that there's still a lot of work to be done outside of term time, but it may be the case that I simply can't afford to do this without holiday work, etc. I would rather not have to work at all but unfortunately that isn't an option for some people.

ReputationRep:
    Emailed today about deferring. *****ing myself waiting for the reply

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your answer. I know that there's still a lot of work to be done outside of term time, but it may be the case that I simply can't afford to do this without holiday work, etc. I would rather not have to work at all but unfortunately that isn't an option for some people.
    Hi that is exactly the situation for me too. I tried to get as much funding as possible and for once I would love to have the luxury to study and not work at the same time but sadly I cannot afford to. I was thinking if there is any chance we could do some work inside the university for instance teach undergrads or supervise them etc....Does anyone know anything about this or who we can ask? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omgwhat)
    Hi are you sure about this? I really do hope it is tbh, where did you see this?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I have received my Cambridge email and login details. I can log in camsis but it does not recognise my address. Is it because I need to register officially at Porters Lodge first? Also anyone knows where porters lodge is? Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by AliceLewis)
    Hi everyone, I have received my Cambridge email and login details. I can log in camsis but it does not recognise my address. Is it because I need to register officially at Porters Lodge first? Also anyone knows where porters lodge is? Thanks
    The Porter's Lodge is at the main entry to each College. It's the entry security point, post room, admin centre etc. The Porters know everything and do everything (except 'portering', they don't carry your bags!)

ReputationRep:
    The Porter's Lodge is at the main entry to each College. It's the entry security point, post room, admin centre etc. The Porters know everything and do everything (except 'portering', they don't carry your bags!)
    Haha thank you very much!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Hi that is exactly the situation for me too. I tried to get as much funding as possible and for once I would love to have the luxury to study and not work at the same time but sadly I cannot afford to. I was thinking if there is any chance we could do some work inside the university for instance teach undergrads or supervise them etc....Does anyone know anything about this or who we can ask? Thanks.
    They tend not to let you teach until the second year of your PhD, if you are doing well, but there are limited opportunities. Even then, you can't really make enough to make a massive difference. The principle the university has always worked on is that you must be able to fund all your studies before you start.

As charities, both the University and Colleges have an obligation to prudence with their money (as they all subsidise students to a great extent) and ensuring students can afford the part of their studies they do pay for, is the first step in that.

ReputationRep:
    Hi are you sure about this? I really do hope it is tbh, where did you see this?
    I recall it being in some sort of declaration in the initial application to Cambridge. Why don't you just drop admissions an email for clarification?*
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Cambridge can't actually stop you working, but 4 things mitigate against it being a successful option

1. Those on study visas are likely to have a legal limit on the number of hours per week they can work, which limits their ability to increase their funds
    2. The University does not offer very much in the way of an internal economy of jobs for students, unlike some other universities. Gaining teaching work is difficult, only happens to 2nd year PhDs, and is limited in what time is allowed.
    3. There is zero tolerance/sympathy if you are struggling academically and working. So if you do begin to have any academic problems, the first thing you would have to do is give up work. If that is then going to give you financial problems, you won't find hardship funds opening up.
    4. You still have an awful lot of work to do in the break between terms!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't received my email/login details yet, should I have done by now?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't received my email/login details yet, should I have done by now?
    you should get these details after completing the student registration, see here http://www.uis.cam.ac.uk/for-students/students
    you should usually get an email from the student registry about registration but if you didn't you could try using this information here http://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac....t-registration it explains how to create an account at first (which username etc), and then you just log in to the self-service.. Alternatively, just email the student registry

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge can't actually stop you working, but 4 things mitigate against it being a successful option

1. Those on study visas are likely to have a legal limit on the number of hours per week they can work, which limits their ability to increase their funds
    2. The University does not offer very much in the way of an internal economy of jobs for students, unlike some other universities. Gaining teaching work is difficult, only happens to 2nd year PhDs, and is limited in what time is allowed.
    3. There is zero tolerance/sympathy if you are struggling academically and working. So if you do begin to have any academic problems, the first thing you would have to do is give up work. If that is then going to give you financial problems, you won't find hardship funds opening up.
    4. You still have an awful lot of work to do in the break between terms!
    Here's a link to some more official information from the student registry http://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac....hile-you-study
    Just to add to your second point: I think it depends a lot on the department/general area of research. In physics there are lab practicals/demonstrations in addition to standard supervision. The demand for students demonstrating in these sessions might actually be quite high, and even Master's students get the opportunity to work if they want. But of course the time limit still applies.

ReputationRep:
    So we are all about two weeks away from moving in now I was wondering two things. Firstly is there anyone heading to Peterhouse here? Secondly what exactly do we need for matriculation? Is it just the gown or do we need gown and hood?

Sprry if that last bit has been answered here before I just couldnt find it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.Higgins)
    So we are all about two weeks away from moving in now I was wondering two things. Firstly is there anyone heading to Peterhouse here? Secondly what exactly do we need for matriculation? Is it just the gown or do we need gown and hood?

Sprry if that last bit has been answered here before I just couldnt find it.
    Peterhouse here as well! I think there were actually quite a lot future Petreans on this thread...Looking forward to meeting you

Hood is only required for graduation at Cambridge, for matriculation gown (over the "appropriate clothing", as Peterhouse puts it) is enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tj23)
    Peterhouse here as well! I think there were actually quite a lot future Petreans on this thread...Looking forward to meeting you

Hood is only required for graduation at Cambridge, for matriculation gown (over the "appropriate clothing", as Peterhouse puts it) is enough.
    Cheers was going to get it sorted next week as I suspect if left until we actually move in it will be hell on earth. You in college halls? I got put in Parkside which looks really nice despite the 10 min walk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.Higgins)
    Cheers was going to get it sorted next week as I suspect if left until we actually move in it will be hell on earth. You in college halls? I got put in Parkside which looks really nice despite the 10 min walk.
    Are you already in Cambridge? I'll have to sort it out over the weekend...I'm gonna be in Warkworth, so just around the corner of Parkside

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tj23)
    Are you already in Cambridge? I'll have to sort it out over the weekend...I'm gonna be in Warkworth, so just around the corner of Parkside
    No, been living in London so just thought I would pop up for the day as it is so close and sort everything out. And that street also looks really nice.

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.