Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So, without looking them up, just off the top of your head, who are your MEPs and who is/are your MP(s)?
    I know who my MP is, no idea about my MEP, but I do not wish to reveal where I live on here.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I know who my MP is, no idea about my MEP, but I do not wish to reveal where I live on here.
    Exactly. While people don't care so much about the EUP compared to Westminster the fact still remains that when you have a single named MP they are much more identifiable compared to having half a dozen over a larger area, it's more personal.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Watching the overnight coverage for the Assembly elections this evening.

Was slightly surprised to see the UKIP candidate in Ogmore, a lady by the name of Elizabeth Kendall. :eek:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Exactly. While people don't care so much about the EUP compared to Westminster the fact still remains that when you have a single named MP they are much more identifiable compared to having half a dozen over a larger area, it's more personal.
    Yes it's more personal... So what?! If we had multiple MP's I'd just look up who the best to aproch about a specific issue was. And that doesn't stop MP's serving the party first and constituents second.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Yes it's more personal... So what?! If we had multiple MP's I'd just look up who the best to aproch about a specific issue was. And that doesn't stop MP's serving the party first and constituents second.
    Neither does having half a dozen MPs. The problem is with people and the elements of the system that remain irrespective of electoral system that means that most MPs want to lick their whips' arses first and consider their principles and electors second.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Neither does having half a dozen MPs. The problem is with people and the elements of the system that remain irrespective of electoral system that means that most MPs want to lick their whips' arses first and consider their principles and electors second.
    That's exactly the point!!! If that's the system we live in why pretend that constituents have any say over what their MP's do on the most part. So we should just say "right now we have a system which is undemocratic and where people arent listened to, let make a democratic system where people aren't listened to to make things slightly better"
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    That's exactly the point!!! If that's the system we live in why pretend that constituents have any say over what their MP's do on the most part. So we should just say "right now we have a system which is undemocratic and where people arent listened to, let make a democratic system where people aren't listened to to make things slightly better"
    Which is better, the system where people know who to talk to and might get ignored, or the system where people don't know who to talk to so can't be ignored?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Which is better, the system where people know who to talk to and might get ignored, or the system where people don't know who to talk to so can't be ignored?
    In the second system there is Google to find out who to talk to and you could talk to any MP at all.

ReputationRep:
    Prefer the European system of voting by party, then the party chooses it's candidates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    so the government has now got ads spouting its bs eu propaganda on youtube, and it's some how getting around my adblock. Feck off.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)
    so the government has now got ads spouting its bs eu propaganda on youtube, and it's some how getting around my adblock. Feck off.
    I'm glad that I'm being targeted all over the place, it means somebody else isn't.

They're also paying £135k per week to be the top result on google if EU referendum is Googled in the UK
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Just think, we have QQ leading labour, Petros leading the liberals, if only we had hazzer leading UKIP

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Only just seen this you cheeky bugger

Tell me mate, how many parties have you lead, of the 4 you have been a member of? You do realise Quamquam has risen to a senior position in a large party in like a third of the time you've been here.

Anyway, if it's your aim, I Don't think you'll quite make it into every single party. UKIP don't like migration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Only just seen this you cheeky bugger

Tell me mate, how many parties have you lead, of the 4 you have been a member of? You do realise Quamquam has risen to a senior position in a large party in like a third of the time you've been here.

Anyway, if it's your aim, I Don't think you'll quite make it into every single party. UKIP don't like migration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    PROSM
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)
    That's disgusting. Perhaps you could try using a different web browser?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    I'm one of the last people to praise Thatcher or anything like that. But her approval rating in my head has gone from something low to something low plus one .
    Polls are rather consistent in making her the most popular post war PM. She may polarize opinion but the country at large still loves her.

I wonder who will be the next political titan, it's coming up on time for them
    Not sure it works like that. Gladstone to Churchill was 45 years and it took a war to make him great. We also had Blair afterward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    :eek: You want Corbyn to stay ? i don't because if the polls and predictions i've read are correct labour arel likely to win in 2020 .... And surly you dont want him of all people as PM ?

UKIP did reasonable well in Wales 6 seats is'nt bad
    Do you still believe that Corbyn will ever be leader of this country? Even the Mayor of London doesn't think so, that's why I want Corbyn to stay. Maybe that's why he is so popular with his backbenchers :rolleyes:

Isn't it funny that some left wingers on TSR think that Khans win points to Labour winning in 2020. If it wasn't so funny it would be tragic.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Polls are rather consistent in making her the most popular post war PM. She may polarize opinion but the country at large still loves her.
    She was impeccably strong, that can't be denied.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting to see Osborne say this morning that Cameron wouldn't step down until 2019.

Is that because he wants to give the new leader a year to implement some 'nice policies' and giveaways as govts always do before elections so as to shield him/her from some of the more unpopular decisions before then?

Also doesn't seem certain that Cameron wouldn't face a leadership election before then.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, typical Saturday night... one glass too many, playing music, probably annoyed a few neighbours. Typical Sunday morning... raging headache! Karma bites back!

I hope everyone's had a good Sunday so far.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Osborne has indirectly Confrimed he is definitely Standing in the leadership election when ever it is

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.