Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Yes but the financial wealth of the uni would be much higher if they had not spent so much on buildings. The fact that it happened a long time ago makes it more not less relevant. e.g. think of the compound growth on all that money!

yes but top academic economists earn millions of dollars. So forming a whole departments of them is expensive. Hence the need for money. and a lot of it.
    Top academic economists earn millions of dollars. WHAT???? I thought academics earn relatively little eg max £50K/annum for a professor at Cambridge.
    Also i think your argument about the money is silly, frankly. I dont think Oxford would be any richer if it hadnt built such beautiful buildings. Firstly i dont think the uni paid as they were all either donated or royalty or something, and it is unlikely they would have been as prestigious or established without those buildings. Not as many people would have gone there of donated the money so they would have been poorer now not richer if the buildings were worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by random18)
    I think it might have been because of my personal statement I applied for Economics & Economic History at LSE & Warwick, and L100 Economics at UCL, Nottingham and Bath, but the personal statement was largely geared towards the economic history aspect...
    Another thing was probably the 3 A levels only too. I do have 6 AS's (Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Psychology, Critical Thinking) all at A, as well as Economics A2 at A already...but could this have weakened my application rather than strengthen it, since I still only continued with 2 A levels this year I just wanted to do the minimal to be honest...and about psychology, I was told by my school to continue with it instead of chemistry or physics, since its a lot easier so i'm more likely to meet my offer, and because it shows essay writing skills etc, not just maths & science...
    I'm just really worried about my chances at any of the universities i applied to now...
    I'm only doing 3 A levels and have an offer from Bath, so it's not necessarily that. Also I don't think it's fair to say that you can't get into top unis with only 3 A levels - universities only ask for 3 and I was told by my school that it's not how many you do but the marks you get in them (and the choice of subjects in the first place).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coren111)
    Top academic economists earn millions of dollars. WHAT???? I thought academics earn relatively little eg max £50K/annum for a professor at Cambridge.
    No in america they are paid a lot of money. I know this. Honestly
    (Original post by coren111)
    Also i think your argument about the money is silly, frankly. I dont think Oxford would be any richer if it hadnt built such beautiful buildings. Firstly i dont think the uni paid as they were all either donated or royalty or something, and it is unlikely they would have been as prestigious or established without those buildings. Not as many people would have gone there of donated the money so they would have been poorer now not richer if the buildings were worse.
    I am sorry you feel like that. But I do think my opportunity cost argument is valid. Hopefully you will be lucky enough to get a palce at Oxbridge and form your own opinion on how well run they are.

ReputationRep:
    History not being mandatory does not mean that an application without it is not seriously weakened
    And I forgot what the applicants per place ratio for Econ History at Warwick is but I think it was something stupid like 20:1

It is very hard but not impossible to get offers from top 10 unis for economics with only 3 A-levels e.g. 10:1 applicate per palce ratio. So it made no sense for your school to let you only do 2 A-levels this year.

So with your econ applications, at best half was irrelevant and at worst half was a distraction. (e.g. does this applicant know what econ at uni is like?)

Yes doing research is especially important when applying for a competitive subject like Economics, History, English or Medicine. and yes your judgements were terrible. But I just don't understand how a good school let you make so many basic mistakes.

Any idea what you will do next?
    I quite devastated to be honest. Having worked incredibly hard towards the end of last year, I thought it was a viable option to just continue 2 subjects this year....but I seriously regret it now. I didn't however apply to Econ History, I know this would be ridiculous without History A level, I applied for Econ & Econ History joint honours, although I'm not sure that changes anything...=\ My PS was generally about Economics although I showed a keen in interest in it's history, and tried to stress how we must understand economic history to be able to apply economics correctly today...
    If possible could I please PM you a copy of my PS to review, and you could then tell me if it was indeed the statement, and if I can expect a definite LSE rejection...
    I have no idea what to do next. I'm looking to pursue a degree in Economics in order to go into IB to be honest, so anything other than top 10 wouldn't be worth it anyway ...
    I hope I get an offer somewhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by random18)
    I quite devastated to be honest. Having worked incredibly hard towards the end of last year, I thought it was a viable option to just continue 2 subjects this year....but I seriously regret it now. I didn't however apply to Econ History, I know this would be ridiculous without History A level, I applied for Econ & Econ History joint honours, although I'm not sure that changes anything...=\ My PS was generally about Economics although I showed a keen in interest in it's history, and tried to stress how we must understand economic history to be able to apply economics correctly today...
    If possible could I please PM you a copy of my PS to review, and you could then tell me if it was indeed the statement, and if I can expect a definite LSE rejection...
    I have no idea what to do next. I'm looking to pursue a degree in Economics in order to go into IB to be honest, so anything other than top 10 wouldn't be worth it anyway ...
    I hope I get an offer somewhere
    Ask for feedback about your rejection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Hessian)
    Am I the only one who thinks LSE has lost my application somewhere!?
    :ditto:

I also have a slight worry that they might have mistaken me for an international student... my friend was by SOAS :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    pandapple wat are you applying for? Straight econ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin18)
    If I have got a new definite grade for the end of the year, should I email it to them?
    definitely! go for it! well, if they're good.... then it'll make a positive impact on your application and will push it forward! if not, just....stay silent!:p:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry. I really don't think Bath would think of a 3 A-level 8 GCSE A* student as being too good for them.

well.....maybe? im a 3 A-leveler with 4A*s...and got accepted for bath IR, but rejected for st.andrews. so yeah, im thinking if rejected from st.andrews, then for LSE, little chance......but then im in the gathered pile, so not yet rejection! haha, im way too optimistic....:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatshark88)
    Hi all, I am new to the student room. Please add me as the applicants.

Applied: 13-10-2008
    Offer: 12-12-2008
    Details: 3As and a pass in further Maths
    Course: L101 Economics

Good luck to those who are still waiting for an offer. I am sure you will ace it.
    congrats! 12-12 was the last friday! :eek:
    so there were some offers for pure economics applicant.

edit: and you received offers from both LSE and UCL!!! congrats. I envy you!!!

ReputationRep:
    Are we expecting a 'rejection'-friday this week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatshark88)
    Hi all, I am new to the student room. Please add me as the applicants.

Applied: 13-10-2008
    Offer: 12-12-2008
    Details: 3As and a pass in further Maths
    Course: L101 Economics

Good luck to those who are still waiting for an offer. I am sure you will ace it.
    I really despise people who come on TSR just to post their offers. So no, i will not be putting you on the applicants page.

ReputationRep:
    heyyy guys

dont know if any fellow LSEs are waiting for offers from Warwick for law but just in case people didnt already know, they are starting to dish them out as i got an unconditional offer last nite.

so gd luck to all wanting offers there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amar09)
    I really despise people who come on TSR just to post their offers. So no, i will not be putting you on the applicants page.
    OMG u're sooooo cruel XD
    but I love it
    damnit that means we have no hopes for this friday...
    but it's soooooo curious that only 1 guy out of TSR received offer from LSE L101:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tribalium)
    OMG u're sooooo cruel XD
    but I love it
    damnit that means we have no hopes for this friday...
    but it's soooooo curious that only 1 guy out of TSR received offer from LSE L101:confused:
    yeah that's what I meant to say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jong Il Kim)
    yeah that's what I meant to say
    anyway that means we will go through a no surprise xmas

ReputationRep:
    I reckon that this Friday will be either rejections or nothing. Offers will have to wait until next year it seems...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammythedodger)
    I just wish I knew what they were doing with my application.
    Having a **** over it. Admissions Officers are all secretly sick in the head, which is why you never actually see them around

Well, it's the holidays, and from what I see, Admissions Office in Aldwych House looks pretty dead from the outside. Gosh, you guys seriously get sucked into this silly waiting game...You'll either get accepted, or rejected, and moaning, groaning and wondering about it won't help you one bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnKennedy)
    I reckon that this Friday will be either rejections or nothing. Offers will have to wait until next year it seems...
    And don't bother with predicting the patterns, you're wasting your time. Get off TSR and do something productive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosathegreat)
    definitely! go for it! well, if they're good.... then it'll make a positive impact on your application and will push it forward! if not, just....stay silent!:p:
    Wrong. Not true.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 24, 2009
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.