Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jyouie)
    Hello, guys, can you all give me advice on this?....NUS life science or UCL biological sciences?.....Got offers from both universities, but still considering if a UK cert holders will find it difficult to find a job back in Singapore, esp. those science-related job.
    For science-related jobs (that specifically require a science degree), university reputation is unlikely to play a major role. Even then, UK degrees are well-regarded in Singapore, and a UCL graduate certainly won't "find it difficult to find a job" compared to an NUS graduate. I'd think strong academic results and relevant work or research experience will be most important.

For other jobs, university reputation may be slightly more important, but I still think results and work experience take precedence, since UCL and NUS both have a solid reputation in Singapore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonobebe)
    maybe just create a new one?
    Haha! Yeah, I should.
    Now to see who'll go with me..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamandcheese)
    oh cooool! UCL seems like an amazing place to be, my seniors there are loving it!
    I'll be headed to glasgow to do med
    Yuupp (: I'm pretty excited. I've a lot of friends in LSE, not so much UCL. But irregardless, I'm tons excited to go to London!

Ooohhhh! MEDICINE. That's awesome (: Anyone you know going with you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perpend)
    For science-related jobs (that specifically require a science degree), university reputation is unlikely to play a major role. Even then, UK degrees are well-regarded in Singapore, and a UCL graduate certainly won't "find it difficult to find a job" compared to an NUS graduate. I'd think strong academic results and relevant work or research experience will be most important.

For other jobs, university reputation may be slightly more important, but I still think results and work experience take precedence, since UCL and NUS both have a solid reputation in Singapore.
    Thanks for your help!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitelily29)
    Yuupp (: I'm pretty excited. I've a lot of friends in LSE, not so much UCL. But irregardless, I'm tons excited to go to London!

Ooohhhh! MEDICINE. That's awesome (: Anyone you know going with you?
    I know of people going there but nobody I know very well. Have you firmed your offer already?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamandcheese)
    I know of people going there but nobody I know very well. Have you firmed your offer already?
    That's good (:
    I've firmed it for quite a while already!

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask some nationals: How bad are the mosquitoes in Singapore? Due to my eczema I will probably be allergic to insecticides like DEET etc
    Any good advice to do with mosquitoes? Good products etc?

Thank you for your time in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerGoat)
    Can I ask some nationals: How bad are the mosquitoes in Singapore? Due to my eczema I will probably be allergic to insecticides like DEET etc

Erm, you probably don't have to worry about mosquitos hahaha. It's pretty urban here.

I seldom get bitten by any, only more during certain periods of the year. You can come get and use our Mopiko cream if you do get bitten haha!

ReputationRep:

I agree with Irenicis, being bitten by mosquitoes is quite rare, unless you visit our wetland reserve There definitely are mosquitoes in some residential areas though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irenicis)
    Erm, you probably don't have to worry about mosquitos hahaha. It's pretty urban here.

I seldom get bitten by any, only more during certain periods of the year. You can come get and use our Mopiko cream if you do get bitten haha!
    (Original post by perpend)
    I agree with Irenicis, being bitten by mosquitoes is quite rare, unless you visit our wetland reserve There definitely are mosquitoes in some residential areas though.
    Yeah I heard it's very urban, but never having been to Asia at all I'm just paranoid I'd hope to get away from the city at points fairly regularly, so also curious as to how problematic they are there. Thank you for your help though Can't wait to go already

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I heard it's very urban, but never having been to Asia at all I'm just paranoid I'd hope to get away from the city at points fairly regularly, so also curious as to how problematic they are there. Thank you for your help though Can't wait to go already
    No problem! You are here for a holiday? How long will you be here?

'Get away from the city', hmm....

ReputationRep:
    Mosquitoes aren't the problem here. It's cockroaches.
    Irritating buggers.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, like what Irenicis says, it's pretty tough to get away from the city. Almost everywhere you go, you're within 1km of the city. So don't be worried, mosquitoes aren't too abundant. Unless you're planning to stay at Pulau Ubin..

ReputationRep:
    No problem! You are here for a holiday? How long will you be here?

'Get away from the city', hmm....
    I'm coming to Singapore in August to study at Nanyang Technological Uni for a year So will be there for a whole year! There's a good exchange rate too, it seems

Are you coming to the UK then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamlovinit05)
    Mosquitoes aren't the problem here. It's cockroaches.
    Irritating buggers.
    Ah right...I'll be staying in university accommodation, is that a usual problem there, too?

ReputationRep:
    Ah right...I'll be staying in university accommodation, is that a usual problem there, too?

Not really. Just dont leave food around. Which uni are you at? NUS?

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming to Singapore in August to study at Nanyang Technological Uni for a year So will be there for a whole year! There's a good exchange rate too, it seems

Are you coming to the UK then?
    Hopefully, I'm still waiting for an offer though.

Yea the exchange is pretty good it seems, 2 Singapore dollars for a quid. Just make sure you get your purchases from the right places.

p.s. NTU is quite far from the city actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamlovinit05)
    Not really. Just dont leave food around. Which uni are you at? NUS?
    Nah, NTU
    What's it like?

ReputationRep:

mosquitos don't bite.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully, I'm still waiting for an offer though.

Yea the exchange is pretty good it seems, 2 Singapore dollars for a quid. Just make sure you get your purchases from the right places.

p.s. NTU is quite far from the city actually.
    Where are you hoping to get an offer from?
    And what do you mean "from the right place"? Would people try to charge you more if you look like you're a foreigner? (Which will be obvious in my case, since I'm ginger haired :lol:)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.