Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Chat about a potential Master going on on Digital Spy.

Seemingly unsourced, but there is talk about the possibility of

Spoiler:
    Show
    Charles Dance

Tbh, even if this is unsolicited nonsense talk, he would be a seriously good Master.
    I wondered if they would bring the Master back
    Spoiler:
    Show
    with this time lord arc of bringing them back from Gallifrey, last we saw of the Master was going back to Gallifrey with the President in Tennant's last episode

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    I wondered if they would bring the Master back
    Spoiler:
    Show
    with this time lord arc of bringing them back from Gallifrey, last we saw of the Master was going back to Gallifrey with the President in Tennant's last episode

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He's probably due a return at some point.

I like the idea of:

Spoiler:
    Show
    The Master having a reason to prevent the Doctor from re-finding/freeing Gallifrey. So he gets in the way of the Doctor to try and stop him.

Could turn into an interesting story arc, particularly if the Master regenerates into someone less psychopathic - he could have genuine reasons for not wishing Gallifrey to come back. Could make for a fun debate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    He's probably due a return at some point.

I like the idea of:

Spoiler:
    Show
    The Master having a reason to prevent the Doctor from re-finding/freeing Gallifrey. So he gets in the way of the Doctor to try and stop him.

Could turn into an interesting story arc, particularly if the Master regenerates into someone less psychopathic - he could have genuine reasons for not wishing Gallifrey to come back. Could make for a fun debate
    Spoiler:
    Show
    that'd be interesting considering those positions on Gallifrey were inverted in Tennant's era with him desperately trying to stop the return of the Time Lords and the Master wanting to bring them back (albeit to turn them into the Master race)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They'll need to find Gallifrey before they can bring back The Master.

So they should probably find it within about five years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam)

Well, they could always say that the Master escaped Gallifrey somehow through the Crack or another one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chernid)
    Well, they could always say that the Master escaped Gallifrey somehow through the Crack or another one.
    Possibly, but I think that it would be a rather underwhelming return as opposed to a return in a blaze of glory, The Master coming through a crack would be both cliched and would just create more plot holes, since the High Council would have to be in the vicinity if he was to.

What would be interesting though is if they introduced Faction Paradox into the series.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly, but I think that it would be a rather underwhelming return as opposed to a return in a blaze of glory, The Master coming through a crack would be both cliched and would just create more plot holes, since the High Council would have to be in the vicinity if he was to.

What would be interesting though is if they introduced Faction Paradox into the series.
    After having just read up on the Faction Paradox, it sounds really creepy and quite exciting. Unfortunately though, I don't think if they came on the show that they would be used effectively. Moffat would either overcomplicate them, or make them "child-friendly" as to not particularly scare them.

ReputationRep:
    I think John Simm's Master should get another crack but on his terms, as a serious, dark character.

ReputationRep:

Also, stuff such as the Loom and all that hasn't really been explained in Nu-Who (not sure about classic), either a lot of explanation would have to be in the scripts or not really very much (which may turn the Faction Paradox into just another enemy which happens to have a name of something in other mediums).

I'd say that the most you'd probably get is perhaps a quick mention by a Time Lord sometime in the future once Gallifrey has been returned to the Universe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DotComBoom)
    Yeah, I'd have loved to have seen Corden be a companion with 11 for a few episodes - they really were great together.

I liked Amy and Rory and I liked Rose and Mickey but just having a male mate for the Doctor and Clara could shake things up quite a bit - maybe that male teacher in The Day of the Doctor could fulfil that?
    I do like that idea but i want them to explore the new dr/companion relationship first before they introduce anyone new. I really want to see how this regeneration affects them both.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I really hope that they bring back the Master but equally I really hope he does regenerate.

Perhaps he could have taken control of Galifrey.

ReputationRep:
    My universal remote sonic screwdriver has arrived :woo:. So far I haven't programmed it with anything as all my remotes (which you need to program it) for my things are dead so I need new batteries :laugh:. But it does have a feature which allows you to turn off any tv without programming it which I have been having fun with. Though one thing I will say is it's really well made, it's so much cooler than the toy ones. Would be amazing to use as part of a costume

ReputationRep:

Maybe they could find the master in an earlier carnation(sorry if someone mentioned this) I mean the master before John Simm. The master regenerated into John simm in the episode "Utopia" in series 3 He was the professor, who was THE MASTER before the professor incarnation?q The Doctor while travelling through time accidently could run in to a pre John Simm Master.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve moffet)
    Maybe they could find the master in an earlier carnation(sorry if someone mentioned this) I mean the master before John Simm. The master regenerated into John simm in the episode "Utopia" in series 3 He was the professor, who was THE MASTER before the professor incarnation?q The Doctor while travelling through time accidently could run in to a pre John Simm Master.
    What if they did an episode or arc or whatever where the Doctor meets two incarnations of the Master. One from before Yana, and one after Saxon. Then, once the Doctor has bested them, whenever the Master turns up the next time he can either be one of those two incarnations.

I would say that they would both be Masters with different personalities to contrast each other and the Doctor, so one episode with the Master may be more cerebral, whereas the one after would be more action-y.

ReputationRep:
    Rose was 19 and Chris Ecclestone was like 40 and nobody had a problem with that. Not sure how old Clara is but Jenna is 27 so its a similar age gap. Besides I don't really want it to be romantic. Been there done that with Rose and (kind of?) River.

ReputationRep:
    noooooo the cyber controller has died rip john lumic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    noooooo the cyber controller has died rip john lumic
    R.I.P.
    He was David Tennant's father in "Goblet of Fire" as well...

ReputationRep:
    R.I.P.
    He was David Tennant's father in "Goblet of Fire" as well...
    Ooh nice spot, I didn't actually remember that but yeah he was a great guy R.I.P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Ooh nice spot, I didn't actually remember that but yeah he was a great guy R.I.P
    His time on "Only Fools and Horses" was excellent too, he was a great actor. R.I.P.

ReputationRep:
    Official costume alert

Spoiler:
    Show

I, quite frankly, love it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.