Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Current Year 13 thread Mark I (2014-2015) watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Bude8)
    It does, actually tripus in Latin means tripod, and the stools graduates used to sit on were the origin I think.
    The pronunciation of tripus by the way is trip-uss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    The pronunciation of tripus by the way is trip-uss.
    I'm not actually too sure about the Latin pronunciation, but Wiktionary says: /ˈtri.puːs/ Not sure how to pronounce that, but it looks like a 'tri'
    I've got Latin tomorrow, I'll ask my teacher then :lol:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I'm not actually too sure about the Latin pronunciation, but Wiktionary says: /ˈtri.puːs/ Not sure how to pronounce that, but it looks like a 'tri'
    I've got Latin tomorrow, I'll ask my teacher then :lol:
    I believe i is a short i-sound (to use some very un-technical language) in IPA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    I believe i is a short i-sound (to use some very un-technical language) in IPA.
    Ah yes, Wiktionary says 'easY'. Still, trip-us sounds a bit unusual to me :lol: though the Romans did like their 'us' ending

ReputationRep:
    I never thought it'd be this hard to find an electric guitar that I like which is also at an affordable price... ;'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I never thought it'd be this hard to find an electric guitar that I like which is also at an affordable price... ;'(
    What kind are you after and what sort of budget do you have? (If you don't mind me asking...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowninginsound)
    What kind are you after and what sort of budget do you have? (If you don't mind me asking...)
    Maybe around £200 ish, not including amp.

My guitar god friend suggested Ibanez - there were some ones I liked but then he explained technicalities using some jargon I didn't really understand (dive bombs, etc.), some being a pain to tune, etc. There was one I liked without a Floyd Rose but it had a reversed headstock which seriously ****ed with my mind. Is not having a Floyd Rose a big deal?

Not after any particular kind, but I'd like to be able to play this (24 frets required?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    x
    I watched Angel Beats, I didn't really like the ending but it still got me a bit teary:lol:

ReputationRep:
    University Fees - Everyone !

Q1) When do you think you would enter the work industry i.e post-Bacheleor/Master/PHD?

Q2) How much do you reckon you'll pay off your student loans yearly, when your working?
    Q3) How long do you believe it would take to pay of your loans?
    Q4) Does the amount of student loan debt intimidate you in terms of how long it would take to pay it off completely, considering
    most people would be in the regions of £30-56k debt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    I watched Angel Beats, I didn't really like the ending but it still got me a bit teary:lol:
    Hahahaha great! TK is a legend That's one of the sort of 'classics' done though, what are you thinking of next?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Maybe around £200 ish, not including amp.

My guitar god friend suggested Ibanez - there were some ones I liked but then he explained technicalities using some jargon I didn't really understand (dive bombs, etc.), some being a pain to tune, etc. There was one I liked without a Floyd Rose but it had a reversed headstock which seriously ****ed with my mind. Is not having a Floyd Rose a big deal?

Not after any particular kind, but I'd like to be able to play this (24 frets required?)
    Hmm, I'm maybe not the best person to talk to if you're wanting to play this sort of stuff! Floyd Rose's are nice but you don't necessarily need them; however I've never had a guitar with a tremolo, so I don't know too much about them to be honest. Ibanez guitars are probably all right for this kind of playing, not sure how good a quality one you'll get with that budget. (I personally can't stand most Ibanez electrics, I have an Ibanez semi-electric hollow body which is gorgeous but I just have a weird irrational hatred of most of them so don't go by my opinion. :lol:) 24 frets would provide versatility, I guess.

For just general playing, I was going to suggest something like an Epiphone SG: http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electr...04042010471618

These are also really nice if you could stretch to it:
    http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electr...04042010202518

And I would always recommend tele's. Fender does the best (obviously) but Squier is still decent: http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electr...04042010202518

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I'm maybe not the best person to talk to if you're wanting to play this sort of stuff! Floyd Rose's are nice but you don't necessarily need them; however I've never had a guitar with a tremolo, so I don't know too much about them to be honest. Ibanez guitars are probably all right for this kind of playing, not sure how good a quality one you'll get with that budget. (I personally can't stand most Ibanez electrics, I have an Ibanez semi-electric hollow body which is gorgeous but I just have a weird irrational hatred of most of them so don't go by my opinion. :lol:) 24 frets would provide versatility, I guess.

For just general playing, I was going to suggest something like an Epiphone SG: http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electr...04042010471618

These are also really nice if you could stretch to it:
    http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electr...04042010202518

And I would always recommend tele's. Fender does the best (obviously) but Squier is still decent: http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electr...04042010202518
    Thanks! I remember being super super super picky about it
    I recall wanting: dotted fretboard
    headstock with tuning things all on one side
    only one colour

My ears are also pretty bad so sound quality won't be too much of an issue :lol: I'll have another look when it's closer to Christmas.

How many guitars do you own then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Hahahaha great! TK is a legend That's one of the sort of 'classics' done though, what are you thinking of next?
    I'll probably start Kuroko's basketball tomorrow. TK is great, he probably doesn't seem as weird in the dubbed version if everyone else is talking English though.

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably start Kuroko's basketball tomorrow. TK is great, he probably doesn't seem as weird in the dubbed version if everyone else is talking English though.
    I've always wondered how they handle such things when they're dubbing into another language... Does TK speak Japanese in the English dub? :lol:

This is always the first to come to mind:

Kuroko's Basketball is soooo good - 2nd season especially, and its soundtrack omg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I've always wondered how they handle such things when they're dubbing into another language... Does TK speak Japanese in the English dub? :lol:

This is always the first to come to mind:

Kuroko's Basketball is soooo good - 2nd season especially, and its soundtrack omg
    I may actually watch an episode to find out:lol:. I made the bad decision of googling a question about AoT that I had after watching the first series and came across some major spoilers from the manga

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Thanks! I remember being super super super picky about it
    I recall wanting: dotted fretboard
    headstock with tuning things all on one side
    only one colour

My ears are also pretty bad so sound quality won't be too much of an issue :lol: I'll have another look when it's closer to Christmas.

How many guitars do you own then?
    No problem! Honestly, just surf around guitarguitar for a while and you'll find something you like. Or if you go to any large music store I'm sure the sales assistants will be able to point you in the right direction and let you try them out. Haha, I've seen people be more picky.

Erm, 5 in total at the moment: 2 acoustics, Epiphone SG, Ibabez jazz semi hollow-body (not that I play jazz...), and a Fender Tele which I love more than anything.
    Oh and a ukelele.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    I shall give my own recommendation of the StarTalk radio show (Neil deGrasse Tyson's)
    ahh thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I may actually watch an episode to find out:lol:. I made the bad decision of googling a question about AoT that I had after watching the first series and came across some major spoilers from the manga
    Rookie mistake I once made too... I've accidentally read comments by accident though and sometimes when you're not paying attention, you forget to stop reading after "spoiler alert" T_T

I wish you could un-remember things though haha.

No problem! Honestly, just surf around guitarguitar for a while and you'll find something you like. Or if you go to any large music store I'm sure the sales assistants will be able to point you in the right direction and let you try them out. Haha, I've seen people be more picky.

Erm, 5 in total at the moment: 2 acoustics, Epiphone SG, Ibabez jazz semi hollow-body (not that I play jazz...), and a Fender Tele which I love more than anything.
    Oh and a ukelele.
    I really liked one of the Ibanez ones BUT THE REVERSED HEADSTOCK I keep thinking it's a lefty guitar :lol:
    Do you use any specific picks? My friend was telling me about how jazz (Jazz III?) picks are really small... I was watching
    Spoiler:
    Show
    and I didn't notice this but he was hiding a pick in his hand anyhow, people are telling me that's like almost impossible to play on the guitar so I'm even more impressed :lol:

I've just about got used to thick picks (1.50mm) and picking in general now :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Rookie mistake I once made too... I've accidentally read comments by accident though and sometimes when you're not paying attention, you forget to stop reading after "spoiler alert" T_T

I wish you could un-remember things though haha.

I really liked one of the Ibanez ones BUT THE REVERSED HEADSTOCK I keep thinking it's a lefty guitar :lol:
    Do you use any specific picks? My friend was telling me about how jazz (Jazz III?) picks are really small... I was watching
    Spoiler:
    Show
    and I didn't notice this but he was hiding a pick in his hand anyhow, people are telling me that's like almost impossible to play on the guitar so I'm even more impressed :lol:

I've just about got used to thick picks (1.50mm) and picking in general now :lol:
    Yeah... would be awesome. They're not even small spoilers it's basically the entire point of the plot, I actually hate myself for not stopping at spoiler alert. Debating whether it's worth reading the manga or not as I'm someone who would enjoy it much more as a show tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... would be awesome. They're not even small spoilers it's basically the entire point of the plot, I actually hate myself for not stopping at spoiler alert. Debating whether it's worth reading the manga or not as I'm someone who would enjoy it much more as a show tbh.
    I haven't heard much about an AoT season II, maybe I'm not looking hard enough
    I've heard about them making live action movies for it though.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.