June 2015

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by it's a me, mario)
    June 2015

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the mark scheme for the June 2014 f215?

I know the paper is up on the bio tutor but can't find the MS anywhere!

ReputationRep:
    Read the specification for what needs to be known for homeobox genes, but I'm still not sure of what sort of questions, apart from the definition which could be asked.

Could they ask a question about outlining homeobox sequences as a 4/5 marker?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any predictions for f215, I don't know what topics to prioritise
    can someone help me out

ReputationRep:
    Can someone outline the whole genome sequencing please?

ReputationRep:
    I think cellular control will have a big question this year but of course that is just a guess

ReputationRep:
    The specification just says to be able to explain the term crossing over but the text book has a big section explaining how it happens? Do i need to learn that part or just be able to define it?
    Sometimes i think they dont even know what they want us to learn -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexthehuman)
    The specification just says to be able to explain the term crossing over but the text book has a big section explaining how it happens? Do i need to learn that part or just be able to define it?
    Sometimes i think they dont even know what they want us to learn -_-
    I think the book is terrible for the section of genetic crosses,epistasis etc. Try to find some other resources for a good understanding, like the notes on biotutor

ReputationRep:
    I've got 47 out of 50 in my isa, what grades would I need for a B?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have the unit 1 f214 june 2015 paper? or unofficially mark scheme? could you send the link if you do thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessicadanby1996)
    I think the book is terrible for the section of genetic crosses,epistasis etc. Try to find some other resources for a good understanding, like the notes on biotutor
    It seems to have so much irrelevant information thats not on the spec? Most of the past paper questions ive seen are pretty straightforward but the book is so much more complicated.
    Like for epistasis the spec doesnt say anything about recessive and dominant epistasis but theres a whole section on the book explaining it. Maybe they just want us to have a better understanding but when you only have a week to revise you really need to prioritize 😂😂
    Ill check out biotutor and see if its any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeLisa55)
    Read the specification for what needs to be known for homeobox genes, but I'm still not sure of what sort of questions, apart from the definition which could be asked.

Could they ask a question about outlining homeobox sequences as a 4/5 marker?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've only done about four past papers so far, but I've only ever seen homeobox sequences be a two mark question about why they're similar across species, and then a short question about what they are. There aren't all that many things they could ask you about it, there's not much to compare/contrast it with, it's got no synoptic opportunity, and it's pretty hard to twist into an application question, so I doubt they'd spend focus too many marks on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alanine)

I have it, I'll try and find a way to post it on here tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alanine)

Here!
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf f215_june_2014_ms.pdf (414.0 KB, 136 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beni24)
    Can someone outline the whole genome sequencing please?
    Shear the genome into fragments using restriction enzymes
    Insert each fragment into Bacterial Artifical Chromosomes
    Insert the BACs into E.coli bacteria
    Culture the bacteria. Each colony will have a different fragment to make a clonal library
    Take a colony and use restriction enzymes to cut the DNA into even smaller fragments of different sizes using different enzymes
    Use electrophoresis to order by size
    Use an automated method to sequence each fragment as follows:
    Mix the DNA fragment with primers, free DNA nucleotides (some modified with fluorescent marker) and DNA polymerase
    95 degrees - break hydrogen bonds so single stranded
    55 degrees add primers so annealed at template strand
    72 degrees - Optimum temp forDNA polymerase which will add nucleotides
    the enzyme will be thrown off if modified nucleotide added
    Modified nucleotide added at different points to get different chain lengths
    Run through laser to read colours
    Use computer to compare overlapping fragments to sequence the whole BAC
    VOILA

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain succession to me please? like as if it was a 6 mark question??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brooklyniona)
    can someone explain succession to me please? like as if it was a 6 mark question??
    The book uses a sand dune example, although I prefer the Surtsey Island/bare rock example. You need to know an example for the exam, although the spec doesn't specify which one.

Okay, so the enviroment is bare rock. Lichen begin to grow on the rock, as they can survive the salt spray from the ocean. This is the pioneer species, the first to grow.
    Lichen begin to die and a thin soil forms, allowing for small ferns to grow in the soil.
    The soil deepens, allowing small plants that have roots and require more water to take hold.
    The soil further deepens, until shrubs start to grow. These outcompete the smaller plants and initially become the dominant species.
    Finally, the soil thickens until large plants and trees are able to root and grow. These are the dominant species, and the community is unlikely to change much from this state. Therefore, it is known as the climax community.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luciellaa)
    Really odd question- hopefully someone can help me out and put my mind at rest tho. In the question about grana i spelt photosystem as photostem instead. I have no clue why i did this but will they give me benefit of the doubt and give me the mark? I used it in the correct context.
    But did you describe what the photo system consists of like what it is then yeah you would

ReputationRep:
    Is there an unofficial mark scheme for biology f214 OCR june 2015?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.