Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XXII watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I get the feeling that Gabriel and that Felipe guy from the Apprentice would get along, their 3rd person mannerisms. Plus the latter used to be an Arsenal lawyer

ReputationRep:
    Gabriel has ruined the Arsenal aesthetics crew tbh. Imagine how he feels looking round at Giroud, Arteta, Ramsey, Debuchy, Chambers on a daily basis. Guy will have a consultation booked down Harley Street within the month.

Although there is an arguement that good CBs are almost always ugly as sin. Can only think of Pique and Hummels who you might describe as decent looking and the Adams, Terry, Vidic and Koscielnys of this world have faces only a mother can love.

---

Like the look of Gabriel tbh. Definitely looks like he has a few errors in him as he adapts to the PL, like not letting the ball bounce near the box..., but he has impressive attributes generally. Looks Koscielny-esque in his 1v1s and speed. Still suspect they're too similar to be effective long term but still, Mertesacker is basically a walking disaster these days so I'll have those 2 from now on.

ReputationRep:
    My team tonight would be

Szczesny, Monreal, Kosc, Kid gorgeous, Chambers, Coquelin, Rosicky, Cazorla, AOC, Giroud, Walcott

Give Sanchez a breather and I think Ozil would go to the pits at Loftus Road with the atmosphere they create. QPR play good wing play at home so best have Chambers/Monreal to counter that. Dont expect Ospina to be dropped even though he is absolute pony though.

Prediction: 3-1 Arsenal
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Walcott doesn't seem to be getting picked because Sanchez is an out-and-out wide man on one side, and Wenger seems intent on playing somebody robust with the ability to provide defensive protection on the other. Who is that man? Danny Welbeck, of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Walcott doesn't seem to be getting picked because Sanchez is an out-and-out wide man on one side, and Wenger seems intent on playing somebody robust with the ability to provide defensive protection on the other. Who is that man? Danny Welbeck, of course.
    Is Sanchez an out and out wide man? I would say he's very much got the freedom to play where ever he likes and often you'll see him pop up in the center, not so much in recent weeks which is why his goals have dried up.

Wenger has never been worried about the defensive symmetry of his wingers at all. The only general trait has been to have one of his wide men as technically proficient(Pires, Cazorla, Hleb) and the other to be direct(Ljungberg, Walcott) although this isn't always the case either. Gervinho/Walcott in 2011/12 and this season Welbeck/Sanchez/Walcott/AOC and of course in the ''Arsenal always try to pass it into the net'' days of 2009 we had CAMS basically in every position.

Bellerin is a defensive liability and is basically a wing back which probably explains Welbeck at RW. Walcott/Bellerin together would be a disaster on the counter. Personally I much prefer Chambers to Bellerin and Walcott to Welbeck so I'd drop both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Is Sanchez an out and out wide man? I would say he's very much got the freedom to play where ever he likes and often you'll see him pop up in the center, not so much in recent weeks which is why his goals have dried up.
    Yeah essentially. I guess that's why people never saw the best of him at Barcelona. At Arsenal he had a free role, although Ozil coming back(bar for the Monaco game) has helped your team a lot results wise. I doubt it's a coincidence that Ozil coming back has lead to Sanchez' goals drying up. He's been working more as a runner but his limitations(over dribbling, suspect passing, turnovers in possession) etc. start to show, but statistically he's not been suffering from any fatigue as he runs more miles per game since Ozil came into the side than he did before hand.

Wenger has never been worried about the defensive symmetry of his wingers at all. The only general trait has been to have one of his wide men as technically proficient(Pires, Cazorla, Hleb) and the other to be direct(Ljungberg, Walcott) although this isn't always the case either. Gervinho/Walcott in 2011/12 and this season Welbeck/Sanchez/Walcott/AOC and of course in the ''Arsenal always try to pass it into the net'' days of 2009 we had CAMS basically in every position.
    Even 12/13 you used Podolski and Walcott/Chamberlain. There is good balance to the wingers though now.

Bellerin is a defensive liability and is basically a wing back which probably explains Welbeck at RW. Walcott/Bellerin together would be a disaster on the counter. Personally I much prefer Chambers to Bellerin and Walcott to Welbeck so I'd drop both.
    Same here, Bellerin is essentially an olympic sprinter playing at a wide position. Not great on the ball, not a great crosser and his positioning is a joke. Really you'd just put Jenkinson in there when Debuchy is out next season, use Chambers as utility man for now until Mert leaves then use him as backup CB/RB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)

Same here, Bellerin is essentially an olympic sprinter playing at a wide position. Not great on the ball, not a great crosser and his positioning is a joke. Really you'd just put Jenkinson in there when Debuchy is out next season, use Chambers as utility man for now until Mert leaves then use him as backup CB/RB.
    Arsenal fans have hyped up Bellerin to the nth degree as well, I think the guy has bene dreadful expect for one game vs Villa in which they basically let him sprint at them all day long without trying to counter him. His positioning is literally the worst Ive ever seen from an Arsenal wing back(including Santos) and I dont see how that is down to youth. Surely a wing back doesnt need to learn not to leave huge gaping holes at the back? That's the absolute minimum you expect. Calum Chambers is not even a RB as such but the guy at least makes mistakes which are not fundamental.

Chambers is really a CB so next season I'd be happy to have Debuchy and Jenkinson as RBs and Bellerin on loan at like Celta Vigo B, which is where he'll inevitably end up anyway. Although WHU apparently want to give us £8m for Jenkinson and that's above his value so I wouldnt be distraught.

In truth our best wing back these days is Monreal, he's been so much better this season for us.

I'd still have Mertesacker in the squad though. He's useless in open play but the man is an absolute beast defending the box in a bus park. If he's prepared to play that role then fair enough o/w flog him to a midtable BuLi side and sign a someone like Schar from Basel to be the beanpole CB

ReputationRep:
    Although there is an arguement that good CBs are almost always ugly as sin. Like the look of Gabriel tbh.
    Next time when you go to the Emirates and they show the formations, just wait for Gabriel's picture... If i was him i'd take pictures everyday until i look normal.

ReputationRep:
    Feel like this is the kind of game where Rosicky deserves a start, QPR aren't exactly a pacey side and think Ozil needs a rest tbh, is Ramsey fit enough to return in the B2B role? AOC should start too, he's been solid since he's returned from injury but I feel like Sanchez needs a rest/ be dropped, he doesn't really suit the winger style imo and Giroud is in better form for the striker role. Wouldn't mind seeing Walcott start but can't see it happening, which is a shame really because Walcott and Ozil's link up play is just :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Gabriel has ruined the Arsenal aesthetics crew tbh. Imagine how he feels looking round at Giroud, Arteta, Ramsey, Debuchy, Chambers on a daily basis. Guy will have a consultation booked down Harley Street within the month.

Although there is an arguement that good CBs are almost always ugly as sin. Can only think of Pique and Hummels who you might describe as decent looking and the Adams, Terry, Vidic and Koscielnys of this world have faces only a mother can love.

---

Like the look of Gabriel tbh. Definitely looks like he has a few errors in him as he adapts to the PL, like not letting the ball bounce near the box..., but he has impressive attributes generally. Looks Koscielny-esque in his 1v1s and speed. Still suspect they're too similar to be effective long term but still, Mertesacker is basically a walking disaster these days so I'll have those 2 from now on.
    Anyone else enjoy Zurich's wittyness as much as I do? :lol:

also, I doubt Ospina would be dropped for tonight. It's a possibility but I don't see it.

(Original post by Tom_Ford)
    Leave Gabriel alone! :mad:
    It's okay Tom, for what it's worth I've seen uglier. He isn't bad :console:

ReputationRep:

Vidic is underrated in the looks department I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    Gabriel needs to embrace his looks tbh. Get a leather jacket and start playing up to the bad boy Brazilian stereotype

Man would be balls deep with some posh tart from Primrose Hill within about a week if he wanted. Although Gabriel looks more like the type to have 3 Brazilian 3/10s from some Stockwell Galdem preggers by the summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Vidic is underrated in the looks department I reckon.
    Yeah he's got that rugged protective vibe going on. If I was his girl I would just be starting beef with randoms who gave me dirty looks so Vidic could start rearranging faces

Vidic has got the eyes only someone who grew up in Yugoslavia in the 1990s can have. He's seen some real ****. Reminds me of this time I was chatting to this bouncer down the West End and I noticed he had some epic sleeve tattoo with 2 tallies of Xs. Guy was like ''I was in the army, the first row are family members killed in the war. The second are my kills'' Guy was about 6'7 as well, **** me.

ReputationRep:
    Vidic has got the eyes only someone who grew up in Yugoslavia in the 1990s can have. He's seen some real ****
    Thousand yard stare makes them eyes glimmer

ReputationRep:
    Gabriel needs to embrace his looks tbh. Get a leather jacket and start playing up to the bad boy Brazilian stereotype
    Loool what stereotype is that?? Whatever it is, I've never heard of it and it's not true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    Loool what stereotype is that?? Whatever it is, I've never heard of it and it's not true
    There are 2 kinds of Brazilians really. The David Luiz/Ronaldinho types who are into Samba and the absolute life and soul of any party and then there are the City of God types like Costa. I went to school with a few people of Brazilian heritage and it was 50/50 really

Gabriel is never pulling off the samba style so therefore he needs to just start hanging about Stockwell chillin with the boys.

ReputationRep:
    There are 2 kinds of Brazilians really. The David Luiz/Ronaldinho types who are into Samba and the absolute life and soul of any party and then there are the City of God types like Costa. I went to school with a few people of Brazilian heritage and it was 50/50 really

Gabriel is never pulling off the samba style so therefore he needs to just start hanging about Stockwell chillin with the boys.
    Don't even know what to say to that. Carry on.

ReputationRep:
    Time to predict who's going to get injured tonight.

I reckon whoever plays CM alongside Coq/Flam.

ReputationRep:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Anyone else enjoy Zurich's wittyness as much as I do? :lol:

also, I doubt Ospina would be dropped for tonight. It's a possibility but I don't see it.

It's okay Tom, for what it's worth I've seen uglier. He isn't bad :console:

He's a goblin, but he's our goblin. :love: He has the halo effect to me. With a bit of acclimatisation to the English game, we will see him have the likes of Lukaku in his backpocket on the regular.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.