Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Law Offers for 2016? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    Exactly - on the other hand, KCL, Nottingham and UCL have been pretty clear on what they're looking for.

I have seen this, but it doesn't really seem to fit in what's going on. I've seen at least four people on here with 30+ getting rejections, while others with 21-22 getting offers. Obviously this is anecdotal and may still fall within those boundaries, but these outcomes along with some personal experience suggest that the LNAT score at least is not taken very seriously.

Nothing absolute of course.
    I agree the Bristol offers appear completely random. I have another conspiracy theory: that they have inside contacts at the other top UNIs/UCAS. If they know you have another offer from a top uni Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Durham/Kings/Nottingham etc. they will assume you will firm this and choose them as insurance. To avoid having a lot of their offers as insurance instead of firm they don't give offers to said high achieving candidates in the first place. Thereby increasing the number of firm applicants who might be really more eager to go there as first choice.

I also believe that Elvis is working at Safeways in Bristol but that's another story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crocface)
    I agree the Bristol offers appear completely random. I have another conspiracy theory: that they have inside contacts at the other top UNIs/UCAS. If they know you have another offer from a top uni Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Durham/Kings/Nottingham etc. they will assume you will firm this and choose them as insurance. To avoid having a lot of their offers as insurance instead of firm they don't give offers to said high achieving candidates in the first place. Thereby increasing the number of firm applicants who might be really more eager to go there as first choice.

I also believe that Elvis is working at Safeways in Bristol but that's another story.
    Talk about irony :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of firming newcastles offer (AAA). Would you say Newcastle is top tier for Law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaeC1998)
    Finally got my rejection email from Bristol
    Hello, I'm sorry to hear about this! I'm still waiting from Bristol! I was just wondering what your lnat score was? Addittionally what GCSE's and AS grades you got? Also what are you predicted and in what subjects? Sorry again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom5pence)
    Thinking of firming newcastles offer (AAA). Would you say Newcastle is top tier for Law?
    Wouldn't say it is a TOP uni to study law as Oxbridge, London unis, Durham, Nottingham, Bristol etc. but it really is a good one. Many people from Newcastle Law School have secured their TC at MC firms as well as US firms (as it can be seen on chambers student survey).
    It is a good uni where you can both study hard and have fun. As long as you take part in many extracurricular activities you stand a good chance for a TC.
    As I said, NU is not top tier for law but is among the decent law schools.
    Actually, I applied for Newcastle as well but will probably turn down their offer. I just don't feel it which doesn't mean it's bad.
    I have an offer from Durham and will firm them and probably put Sheffield as an insurance.
    I am currently struggling to decide whether to put Newcastle or Sheffield as an insurance
    Hope this helped
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobkata)
    Wouldn't say it is a TOP uni to study law as Oxbridge, London unis, Durham, Nottingham, Bristol etc. but it really is a good one. Many people from Newcastle Law School have secured their TC at MC firms as well as US firms (as it can be seen on chambers student survey).
    It is a good uni where you can both study hard and have fun. As long as you take part in many extracurricular activities you stand a good chance for a TC.
    As I said, NU is not top tier for law but is among the decent law schools.
    Actually, I applied for Newcastle as well but will probably turn down their offer. I just don't feel it which doesn't mean it's bad.
    I have an offer from Durham and will firm them and probably put Sheffield as an insurance.
    I am currently struggling to decide whether to put Newcastle or Sheffield as an insurance
    Hope this helped
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds promising! Its funny, I actually want to go into screenwriting but I find law such an interesting subject, that It would be a suitable back up degree So I dont necessarily need to go to oxbridge, but It would be amazing to get into a magic circle firm! Do many newcastle graduates go into MC firms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattlally)
    I applied early December, got AABC and predicted A*AA. Still waiting on Nottingham, Bristol and Warwick!
    Good luck! Where do you hold offers for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ds1998)
    Just checked King's apply and saw that I have an offer!
    Bump! Only I found out an hour ago! I just screamed! How exciting!! I officially have all my offers!

Durham
    UCL
    Kings
    Exeter's my insurance!!

I feel SO much better! Especially as I withdrew my application from Oxford! But this is a fantastic boost, especially in the middle of Mock week when motivation atarts to flail!!

Is it your firm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09owenss)
    Hello, I'm sorry to hear about this! I'm still waiting from Bristol! I was just wondering what your lnat score was? Addittionally what GCSE's and AS grades you got? Also what are you predicted and in what subjects? Sorry again.
    I got 31 on the lnat and applied on the 14th of October, took my lnat in late September. Got 1 a star, 5 a's and 5 b's at GCSE and 2 a's and 2 b's at AS level. Im predicted three A's in philosophy and ethics, government and politics and psychology and have offers from Nottingham and Sheffield.
    Hope this is helpful for you and good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smithy-Smiths)
    Bump! Only I found out an hour ago! I just screamed! How exciting!! I officially have all my offers!

Durham
    UCL
    Kings
    Exeter's my insurance!!

I feel SO much better! Especially as I withdrew my application from Oxford! But this is a fantastic boost, especially in the middle of Mock week when motivation atarts to flail!!

Is it your firm?
    Congrats!!! This too brings me to the end of my application, with offers from Queen Mary, Bristol, Leeds and King's (rejected from UCL post awful Spanish interview)
    I think I will be forming King's with Bristol as my insurance, you?

ReputationRep:
    I got 7A*s and 2As at GCSE. I got 4As at AS and am predicted A*A*A (in biology, English language and chemistry). However only got a disappointing 17 in the LNAT
    Rejected from Oxford and UCL
    Offers from Newcastle
    Waiting on Nottingham and Bristol (but don't think I'll get it with such a low LNAT score)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom5pence)
    Sounds promising! Its funny, I actually want to go into screenwriting but I find law such an interesting subject, that It would be a suitable back up degree So I dont necessarily need to go to oxbridge, but It would be amazing to get into a magic circle firm! Do many newcastle graduates go into MC firms?
    You can take a look at this http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/whe...d-universities
    Note that this survey doesn't mean that if someone has studied in UCL (just an example) will be 100% more preferred than someone from Newcastle. It is up to you to take part in extracurricular activities and do well in interviews

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with making a decision on my insurance choice.
    I will put Durham as my firm but can't decide between Newcastle and Sheffield as an insurance.
    My course in Sheffield is quite interesting as it offers one year abroad (in Germany) where I will get some experience in German public law.
    The course at Newcastle is just straight law.
    Can anyone help or share anything?
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saule1116)
    Got offers form Leicester and Oxford Brookes (safe choices). Interview with York. Just waiting for my last 2 unis to get back to me.
    I know this post was a while back, but are you still looking at Oxford Brookes?

ReputationRep:
    Finally got rejected from Bristol. So cheeky how they can make you wait so long for bad news! Oh well not that upset.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabruttledge)
    Finally got rejected from Bristol. So cheeky how they can make you wait so long for bad news! Oh well not that upset.
    I replied to their offer of the alternative degree saying how I spent hundreds over half term going to visit at half term and would've appreciated a rejection months ago and no reply hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Velvetgh0st)
    I replied to their offer of the alternative degree saying how I spent hundreds over half term going to visit at half term and would've appreciated a rejection months ago and no reply hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha I don't blame you! It's one of those uni's mainly full of Oxbridge rejects anyway so wasn't keen.

ReputationRep:
    Offer from Birmingham - Law for agraduates. 4 more to go...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone has any idea what is the difference between:
    1) GCSE
    2) IGCSE English 1st language
    3) IGCSE English 2nd language
    4) GCE O-Level English
    5) Cambridge GCE English 1119

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabruttledge)
    Haha I don't blame you! It's one of those uni's mainly full of Oxbridge rejects anyway so wasn't keen.
    Annoying because I fell in love with the city etc and still waiting on Nottingham to reject me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.