Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    well as if i can be bothered to check my spelling on this - if you knew how tired i was!!! neway theres way better unis for geogo neway so im not too bothered i guess now, i'd rather be somewhere where the people teaching me actually appreciate me
    lol teehee, i am glad you said that you have a strong point, I never applied for oxford because i cant stand the attitude they had towards me. The moment i looked at cambridge i felt far more appreciated, and they are so much more friendly... however you might still find that you have got in and that it was all a psychological aspect to the test.. i am no geographer by any means Eng lit. anyday but, have faith girlie have FAITH!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    me too... i went into the PPE interviews last year pretty much completely unprepared. considering i came out as one of their middle ranked candidates (so their rejection letter said) i think thats pretty good.
    You applied for PPE????? I didn't know that - which college did you apply to???

I never got a report letter; Hilda's don't send them out to successful candidates, but I'd like to know why I was accepted really.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    Emmanuel - and I'm not worried about that aspect of the interview, the fact they were taking notes showed they care, despite the fact they'd been through 14 other applicants already on the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunnywabbit)
    lol teehee, i am glad you said that you have a strong point, I never applied for oxford because i cant stand the attitude they had towards me. The moment i looked at cambridge i felt far more appreciated, and they are so much more friendly... however you might still find that you have got in and that it was all a psychological aspect to the test.. i am no geographer by any means Eng lit. anyday but, have faith girlie have FAITH!!
    I know someone who hated the attitude of the Tab people she met but loved Oxford; it just depends who you meet. She went to a HE fair, went up to the Cambridge stand to ask for a prospectus and they refused to give her one because they said she didn't look like the kind of person Cambridge would want. She think's its because she has piercings and tattoos. She's now reading English at Oxford, so that stupid woman was giving very intelligent people such a bad impression of Cam that she put them off even applying. I'm sure people like her are definitely in the minority but its a shame that they are being sent out to events to try and encourage wider participation when they are in fact doing the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    hehe thnx bunnywabbit :s

on the notes thing, yeh i think its jut a personal thing, the human people took loads (was same for everyone) and the physical didn't take many, about a page for me.

I just want to know now, i bet it comes on the 23rd not the 19th :s they know now so why can't they just tell us??!! grrrr!

ReputationRep:
    my interviewers took lots of notes, they both had sheets to fill in with little boxes to write about different things, at least thats what it looked like. They also kept all of my notes and working out as well as the final solutions to the problems, including the passage i was given before the interview which i had made notes on. Although that mightve just been so I couldnt take them and show them to the people being interviewed later!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    You applied for PPE????? I didn't know that - which college did you apply to???

I never got a report letter; Hilda's don't send them out to successful candidates, but I'd like to know why I was accepted really.

i applied to magdalen... which was a bit out of my league at the time lol. it was good fun though and its a really beautiful place. now ive had proper time to prepare (not under the strain of 5 alevels) i think im going to be much more confident and laid-back about the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    i applied to magdalen... which was a bit out of my league at the time lol. it was good fun though and its a really beautiful place. now ive had proper time to prepare (not under the strain of 5 alevels) i think im going to be much more confident and laid-back about the whole thing.
    They might ask you why you've changed subjects; what are you going to say???

ReputationRep:
    They might ask you why you've changed subjects; what are you going to say???

something along the lines of 'once id experienced physics and maths at a more challenging level, i realised its a fascinating subject that gives you a strong grounding for any kind of study, not just science'. or something... ill think of something better to say at the time, obv

ReputationRep:
    something along the lines of 'once id experienced physics and maths at a more challenging level, i realised its a fascinating subject that gives you a strong grounding for any kind of study, not just science'. or something... ill think of something better to say at the time, obv
    Awwww well good luck hun

Lots of academics really admire people who reapply post-A Level. There's an article in the OUSU alternative prospectus about reapplying; might be worth checking out. You can get to it from http://www.ousu.org then go to the prospective students section and then click on alternative prospectus.

ReputationRep:
    Awwww well good luck hun

Lots of academics really admire people who reapply post-A Level. There's an article in the OUSU alternative prospectus about reapplying; might be worth checking out. You can get to it from http://www.ousu.org then go to the prospective students section and then click on alternative prospectus.

hey thanks for that little boost rachel if i get into oxford the drinks are on me

im off to watch 'question time' and 'this week'... ive still got time to be a political hack lol. night.

ReputationRep:
    hey thanks for that little boost rachel if i get into oxford the drinks are on me

im off to watch 'question time' and 'this week'... ive still got time to be a political hack lol. night.
    Goodnight

ReputationRep:
    I can't get that alternative prospectus PDF to load, any chance of telling me what it said about reapplying?

(Original post by fishpaste)
    I can't get that alternative prospectus PDF to load, any chance of telling me what it said about reapplying?
    I have never been able to get it to load either.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had an interview at Christ Church, Oxford? (Particularly for Biological Sciences) I can't seem to find anyone who has actually applied to do Bio Sciences this year although I have talked to 2 people currently doing it but there will probably be loads of people on the day

Apparently one guy who walked into an interview at Cambridge found an orange hurdling at him when he walked through the door! Apparently it was just to see how it would react.. strange way of analysing his train of thought though! I would probably let it knock me out

ReputationRep:
    Its just basically a personal account written by someone who reapplied. It just says that they felt more mature and generally more knowledgeable and confident about the whole process. They chose a different college and it says there is no need to feel intimidated or ashamed by the fact that they reapplied as it really worked out for them. You can write to OUSU and get a paper copy; I think the address is Thomas Hull House, Bonn Square which is the OUSU offices address but it''l be on http://www.ousu.org

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asphyxiating)
    Has anyone had an interview at Christ Church, Oxford? (Particularly for Biological Sciences) I can't seem to find anyone who has actually applied to do Bio Sciences this year although I have talked to 2 people currently doing it but there will probably be loads of people on the day

Apparently one guy who walked into an interview at Cambridge found an orange hurdling at him when he walked through the door! Apparently it was just to see how it would react.. strange way of analysing his train of thought though! I would probably let it knock me out

I'm told all these stories are completely false, though I'm inclined to believe them after my experiences.

ReputationRep:
    i know

ill start the ball rolling... ive applied to exeter college oxford for physics and philosophy and will be coming up for interview sun 14th dec. anyone else applying to exeter/for physphil?
    I think someone else also said they were applying to maths + phil (yay, seeing as i've been given to understand maths/phys + phil applicants are very rare!).

I've applied to Queen's for maths + phil - and it's the 14th-17th for me. I have read the Republic, Russell's Problems of Philosophy and some more general things, but as I'm the first Oxbridge Maths applicant from the school (a Scottish one, too, so completely different syllabus) in 15 years and probably even longer on the Philosophy side, I've had next to no help, with the end result that I'm scared beyond belief and utterly unsure of what to expect. I submitted odd essays from last year, because unexpectedly I didn't take an essay subject this year, and I'm beginning to worry about that - as well as all the normal stuff such as what a girl is supposed to wear. Skirt/suit trousers/jeans, shirt/top, suit, boots/heels? I'm comfy in everything, pretty much - I just can't choose! Any hints, tips, ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mussed)
    I've applied to Queen's for mathsphil - and it's the 14th-17th for me too.
    Oooh, my college sister is doing maths/phil. Its a very demanding course (and you have to do advanced formal logic - yeuch!!!) but graduates are highly employable because they can deal effectively with abstract concepts and reason logically. Apparently.

Queens' is an amazing college too, although its not very politically active.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, my college sister is doing maths/phil. Its a very demanding course (and you have to do advanced formal logic - yeuch!!!) but graduates are highly employable because they can deal effectively with abstract concepts and reason logically. Apparently.

Queens' is an amazing college too, although its not very politically active.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    So I heard. I'm pretty political, but so's my family and so the apolitical thing was an attraction (I did lots and lots of Politics and History until this year).

Oh - am I supposed to know if other colleges are going to interview me?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2003
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.