Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just submitted my UCAS application last night! Now for that dreadful helplessly waiting feeling.

So how long did it take for you guys to receive your welcome letters from UCAS here in the US?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curlbe)
    Yup, they make decisions rt. after interviews at Ox. I'm American and when I got into Ox (Dec 2004) my letter arrived in the mail Dec 23, but I got a call from a tutor at my college a week before that (this isn't normal practice, he had to ask me something specific) but he basically told me when he called that I had an offer so...that would've been around Dec 15/16...
    wow thats great news. I'm so anxious for the decision.

So do the tutors give you any hints during the interview that youre going to be accepted or not? It seems to me from reading other threads that they do, at least sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    You should rely on e-mail and not the letters (which could be delayed due to Christmas). Keep checking the e-mail account you put in your UCAS application and then log into Track as well. I got 2 offers within a week of sending. The other 3 are establishing my fee status before deciding to offer (I hold dual citizenship) but am applying as an overseas student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maromelon)
    Just submitted my UCAS application last night! Now for that dreadful helplessly waiting feelings.

So how long did it take for you guys to receive your welcome letters from UCAS here in the US?
    I submitted on Friday, and I have received an email from one of my unis, but not from UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    I got my welcome letter a week after submitting, incidentally the same day I got my first offer.

(Original post by kissurmojo)
    The other 3 are establishing my fee status before deciding to offer (I hold dual citizenship) but am applying as an overseas student.
    Aberdeen is doing that right now for me; I don't have to do anything, right? Just wait for them to finish?

ReputationRep:
    Correct, I even sent them a message on the portal that I was overseas but they seemed to get annoyed, so I figured I'd better let them work it out for themselves

ReputationRep:
    Alright, so honestly. Bath and Loughborough haven't said a word beyond the stuff that all applicants have received. Nottingham and Portsmouth both got back to me very quickly. What's the deal? It's been about 2 1/2 months. I'm starting to think maybe I should email them...
    I guess w'ere all noobs here to all of this, but would a curious email be degenerate to my chances? =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zouth)
    Alright, so honestly. Bath and Loughborough haven't said a word beyond the stuff that all applicants have received. Nottingham and Portsmouth both got back to me very quickly. What's the deal? It's been about 2 1/2 months. I'm starting to think maybe I should email them...
    I guess w'ere all noobs here to all of this, but would a curious email be degenerate to my chances? =/
    I'd say don't worry about it, really. I haven't heard a whisper of anything from LSE or Durham besides acknowledgement that they had received the application (I sent mine off at the end of September)--some unis deliberately wait till after the 15 January deadline to begin doing things. Different unis just have different paces.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure how I stumbled in here since i'm a Brit studying at Leeds haha, but don't worry just yet about replies from Uni's, I didn't get my replies til late January and I applied in September last year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zouth)
    Alright
    (Original post by Elanor)
    I'd say don't worry about it, really. I haven't heard a whisper of anything from LSE or Durham besides acknowledgement that they had received the application (I sent mine off at the end of September)--some unis deliberately wait till after the 15 January deadline to begin doing things. Different unis just have different paces.
    Yea I would not bother them about it if I were you. I called LSE a few weeks ago and asked about the decision dates, and the woman actually got pissed at me and said "well it would be unfair of us not to give everyone who applies by the January 15th deadline equal consideration now wouldnt it?"

ReputationRep:
    so for anyone still waiting on oxbridge interview information, to give you an idea of the magnitude of disorganization present in the oxford admission system, I emailed my college (New College) admissions office today and asked about the interview information. She responded saying that the tutors for my course were still finalizing the timetables and dates.

Today is the 8th of December. Interviews run from the 9th to the 11th.

They are literally still working on the interview schedule the afternoon before the interviews are supposed to take place.

So don't worry if you guys havent received information yet. You may just end up getting called on the last day of interviews by an exasperated admissions officer to inform you that your interview is in ten minutes.

ReputationRep:
    I hope things are going well for everyone, and you're all getting the offers and interviews you want.

I'm still no where near to making a decision, as to what my firm and insurance choices will be, but as there's no hurry to do that I'm not panicking yet.

As I'm flying back home to England for Christmas, I'm going to take the time to go and visit each city, as even though the universities themselves will be closed, I think it will help me to go and visit each city again (or in the case of Brunel, go and visit that area of London).

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE: Oxford interview Thursday. I hear they go easy on the phone interview, but its still nervewracking all the same.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with the interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kissurmojo)
    You should rely on e-mail and not the letters (which could be delayed due to Christmas). Keep checking the e-mail account you put in your UCAS application and then log into Track as well. I got 2 offers within a week of sending. The other 3 are establishing my fee status before deciding to offer (I hold dual citizenship) but am applying as an overseas student.

i am a dual citizen as well! are you american and british?
    and i aso got 2 offers within the week of sending.. i havent heard anything except for an email acknowledgement from the other schools
    where did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    I hope things are going well for everyone, and you're all getting the offers and interviews you want.

I'm still no where near to making a decision, as to what my firm and insurance choices will be, but as there's no hurry to do that I'm not panicking yet.

As I'm flying back home to England for Christmas, I'm going to take the time to go and visit each city, as even though the universities themselves will be closed, I think it will help me to go and visit each city again (or in the case of Brunel, go and visit that area of London).
    if you contact the international offices alot of schools are open for tours till the 24th!
    i am going for christmas as well, and have tours scheduleeed.
    are you from leciester? sorry i just saw your icon thing. my mom is from there and my grandparents still live there!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I hold US and UK passports - my dad is scottish and my mom is english but I was born and live in the US. I've applied for mathematical physics (masters) at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Heriot Watt, Aberdeen, and St Andrews

ReputationRep:
    So Manchester emailed me around 9:30 this morning to inform me that my interview would be at 11:30 this morning. (Obviously I totally missed it as I was in school...) I'm thinking about just withdrawing my application as I've already got into Edinburgh. Which means 1 unconditional, 2 withdrawn, and still waiting on Aberdeen, haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tzareenah)
    So Manchester emailed me around 9:30 this morning to inform me that my interview would be at 11:30 this morning.
    And I thought Oxford was bad for only giving us two days notice for our interviews. Ouch.

Do you intend to visit your colleges before you make a decision? Because if not, then as Edinburgh is your number one choice there would be little sense in pursuing any of your other applications.

BUT...if you intend to visit before deciding, you should keep your options as open as possible, because I've met many people that got into their dream school, only to actually visit it and spend some time there and find out it didn't match them at all, and ended up changing schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brazilianrocker)
    And I thought Oxford was bad for only giving us two days notice for our interviews. Ouch.

Do you intend to visit your colleges before you make a decision? Because if not, then as Edinburgh is your number one choice there would be little sense in pursuing any of your other applications.

BUT...if you intend to visit before deciding, you should keep your options as open as possible, because I've met many people that got into their dream school, only to actually visit it and spend some time there and find out it didn't match them at all, and ended up changing schools.
    I'm sure I could reschedule if I wanted to. But yeah, I am absolutely completely sure I'm going to Edinburgh, my other UCAS choices were for "let's see if I get in lulz!!11!!!!1!" (If I hadn't gotten in to Ed I'd go to Chicago.)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 22, 2010
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.