Chemistry Salters F332 june 2010 Watch

hollywoodbudgie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rainbowsss)
Erm one last question hopefully, anyone know how to draw nitrogen dioxide rad?
Lol I just realised why we're finding this so hard.
You cant do a dot cross for this because nitrogen dioxide's electrons are weird

Er what I'm trying to say is that the electrons of it are constantly switching around
like the ones in ozone.
DW about this, we won't be asked :hugs:
hollywoodbudgie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ChoudMcloud)
THIS THREAD HAS HELPED ME COMPLETELY
I really hope you guys do well
good luck
xx
haha thank you!
Good luck as well ^^
Jamesrb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hollywoodbudgie, you're amazing!!

I've been doing past papers all day, the earlier ones were far easy and now I see that in June 09 and Jan 10 Electrolysis seems to be popping up again. How much do we really need to know for this, I can't find much in my revision guide at all!

The other thing that is really getting me are the conditions for all of the various reactions and reagents, I have no idea how to remember them and for what reactions they are for!

The last thing...OMG WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THE ADVANCED NOTICE STUFF? lol. seriously though, is there much i can do with it tonight or in the morning? (I'll be up at 6.30)

Thanks SO much in advance!!
najeezy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
this exam is easy (compared to f335 :O), everyone should relax and every1 will be fine ok.. best advice i can give go over your notes briefly try and recall although dont be surprised if you cant cos your stressed, it will come to you in the exam. Go over organic mostly as the rest is a lot of pfaff, check the spec and make sure you can do most of it and you will get at least a b/c, so good luck all, i need an A for chem so just relax and have a good nights sleep, im off night night and good luck all.
hollywoodbudgie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jamesrb)
hollywoodbudgie, you're amazing!!

I've been doing past papers all day, the earlier ones were far easy and now I see that in June 09 and Jan 10 Electrolysis seems to be popping up again. How much do we really need to know for this, I can't find much in my revision guide at all!

The other thing that is really getting me are the conditions for all of the various reactions and reagents, I have no idea how to remember them and for what reactions they are for!

The last thing...OMG WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THE ADVANCED NOTICE STUFF? lol. seriously though, is there much i can do with it tonight or in the morning? (I'll be up at 6.30)

Thanks SO much in advance!!
:blush: Thanks ^^

Reagents and Conditions:
Originally Posted by kirky743 (thanks to this amazing person!)
Oxidation of primary alcohol - excess potassium dichromate solution that has been acidified with weak sulphuric acid. This is distilled to form an aldehyde.

Oxidation of secondary alcohol - excess potassium dichromate etc as before. Heated under reflux to form a ketone.

Alkene ---> Alcohol : reagent is water at 70ATM pressure, 300 degrees C and in the presence of a phosphoric acid catalyst.

Hydrogenation - (alkene to alkane) -EITHER hydrogen gas at 180 degrees and 5atm pressure with a hot nickel catalyst OR room temp and pressure with a platinum catalyst

Alcohol ---> halogenoalkane - react with the acid of the halogen (HBr, HCl...)

Alcohol ---> Alkene : EITHER 180 degrees c with concentrated sulphuric acid OR hot vapour over Al2O3 at 300 degreees

Alkane ----> alkene is vapour over Al2o3

Halogenoalkane ----> amine : react with concentrated NH2 in a sealed tube

Halogenoalkane -----> Alcohol. Reflux with excess NaOH

Whenever you're not sure, just put down reflux because odds are it is.
And if it's 3 marks and you're not sure, guess concentrated sulphuric acid and reflux
It usually works!

DW about advanced notice stuff too much.
All it does is give you the context for the exam. It won't make up strange questions.
Worse come to worse you'll be asked to apply your own knowledge, but all this knowledge
comes from the syllabus so just think what science crap it's trying to get you to say!
Looks like it focuses on the atmosphere. Think global warming, ozone, and radiation
all that stuff ^^

Hope that helped you in some way.
good luck
hollywoodbudgie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by najeezy)
this exam is easy (compared to f335 :O), everyone should relax and every1 will be fine ok.. best advice i can give go over your notes briefly try and recall although dont be surprised if you cant cos your stressed, it will come to you in the exam. Go over organic mostly as the rest is a lot of pfaff, check the spec and make sure you can do most of it and you will get at least a b/c, so good luck all, i need an A for chem so just relax and have a good nights sleep, im off night night and good luck all.
I think the A2 January paper is the hardest. There's that giant leap
from AS to A2. The F335 seems to be the January A2 paper all over again
with some benzene stuff
Jamesrb
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
:blush: Thanks ^^

Reagents and Conditions:
Originally Posted by kirky743 (thanks to this amazing person!)
Oxidation of primary alcohol - excess potassium dichromate solution that has been acidified with weak sulphuric acid. This is distilled to form an aldehyde.

Oxidation of secondary alcohol - excess potassium dichromate etc as before. Heated under reflux to form a ketone.

Alkene ---> Alcohol : reagent is water at 70ATM pressure, 300 degrees C and in the presence of a phosphoric acid catalyst.

Hydrogenation - (alkene to alkane) -EITHER hydrogen gas at 180 degrees and 5atm pressure with a hot nickel catalyst OR room temp and pressure with a platinum catalyst

Alcohol ---> halogenoalkane - react with the acid of the halogen (HBr, HCl...)

Alcohol ---> Alkene : EITHER 180 degrees c with concentrated sulphuric acid OR hot vapour over Al2O3 at 300 degreees

Alkane ----> alkene is vapour over Al2o3

Halogenoalkane ----> amine : react with concentrated NH2 in a sealed tube

Halogenoalkane -----> Alcohol. Reflux with excess NaOH

Whenever you're not sure, just put down reflux because odds are it is.
And if it's 3 marks and you're not sure, guess concentrated sulphuric acid and reflux
It usually works!

DW about advanced notice stuff too much.
All it does is give you the context for the exam. It won't make up strange questions.
Worse come to worse you'll be asked to apply your own knowledge, but all this knowledge
comes from the syllabus so just think what science crap it's trying to get you to say!
Looks like it focuses on the atmosphere. Think global warming, ozone, and radiation
all that stuff ^^

Hope that helped you in some way.
good luck
That helped LOADS, thanks so much! I'll be on here first thing in the morning to review your post and flick through my notes
hollywoodbudgie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jamesrb)
That helped LOADS, thanks so much! I'll be on here first thing in the morning to review your post and flick through my notes
lol get some sleep as well though!
I'll be here like at 4 or something (after icecream with friends ) to find
out how everyone did!!!
hollywoodbudgie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm off to do some last min cramming etc so I won't be on till after the exam to hear how you all kicked ass ^^
So sweet dreams everyone, don't stress (it's not worth it).
And of course:

GOOD LUCK!!!
bla_bla_bla_blaa
Report 8 years ago
yo when sh!t gets polarised.. carbon is always slightly +ve and oxygen (in water) is -ve, right?
jamiet92
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
Ca is in group 2 so it's Ca2+
Na is in group 1 so it's Na1+
as a result you know that you need 2 moles of Na per mole of Ca
due to the 1:2 ratio of charges

Hope that helped!
That's brilliant thanks Was a little off put because they were both positive charges
Jamesrb
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Good luck everyone
TheTomD
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What did everyone think to it then?...

Baking CO2 out of rocks, ayyy.
How interesting...
cor898
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I thought it was ok
cept I forgot the percentage of nitrogen on earth and some other silly mistakes
Doctogan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So how did it go?

Personally I think it was fine. I made a silly mistake at the start though. Was going to put 6e- for the fill in the gap question but only put e-! The reflux question was a bit iffy too but other than that (from what I can remember) it was ok

I seriously hope I got an A!
Slowbro93
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Found this paper so easy!
Doctogan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Was the ppm/water/deuterium question answer 0.044?

And for the percentage of nitrogen/oxygen what did you get?
Kooper
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I thought it was quite heavy on one and two mark questions. I found it was a relatively easy paper, but I thought January was hard and ended up getting an A, so I don't know how accurate my guess will be!

Did anyone else have problems with the wording of the nitrogen concentration in the advance notice question? I got two different answers - did it mean concentration of nitrogen or the amount, since Venus' atmosphere is 91 times thicker?
Slowbro93
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Doctogan)
Was the ppm/water/deuterium question answer 0.044?

And for the percentage of nitrogen/oxygen what did you get?
For the ppm, I got 1.4, as the thing was in a ratio. (1-1000)

Then for the percentage, I got around 0.044 of nitrogen (3.5/78)
Doctogan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by cpdavis)
For the ppm, I got 1.4, as the thing was in a ratio. (1-1000)

Then for the percentage, I got around 0.044 of nitrogen (3.5/78)
Got my numbers mixed up. I got the same for the nitrogen.

However, I got the ratio the other way around and got 0.014
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1384)
79.54%
Leave (356)
20.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed