Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itachi8)
    gp3-wat letter

the most unreactive wat letter
    I can't remember what letters I put I thought most unreactive was C and group three was when there was a drop, so..D? I think cos there's a drop between group 2 and 3 and 5 and 6..but not really sure how right it is

ReputationRep:
    WOW i started this thread 5 hours ago and already so many replies: well heres what i got from what i can remember:
    displacement reaction was one with CuSO4 in it (watever one that was)
    ratio = 5:1
    most unreactive was C as it need the most energy to remove electron
    E-Z one i got Z-something as two were on the same side with priority i think.
    for the free radical one propagation was the one with free rads either side, initiation was the one with free rads on the right hand side and termination had free rads on left hand side of equation.

what is bigger calcium ion or atom: ion because it needs to lose its 2 outer electrons to form a full outer shell.

Why do BeCL2 and CaCl2 conduct dif? : because Be is a bigger cation so there is less polarization between it and the CL2 so electrostatic forces are weaker so ions more free to move in solution.

electrostatic field directs positive ions into narrow beam through mass spec
    magnetic plates: deflect the ions

the number one for mass spec was something like 137.4
    3 peaks for the mass spec, one for bigger isotope, one for smaller and one in between.

hess cycle value was something like -700 and the experimental value was - 600 and something..... why is experiment less exothermic: because the experiment may hav had incomplete combustion. the other reason i made up and said cos the water could hav been measured to 0.5g using a burette as it makes a large difference?? lol

wher is paraffin from: crude oil
    problems with experiment:
    1.bung didnt fit.
    2.the tube in the water wasnt actually held by anything so had no support.
    3. tube goin into water wasnt directly under test tube.

ORGANIC SECTION:
    reagent: hydrogen
    catalyst: nickel
    name : 1,2dibromoethane (i think)
    colour change of KMnO4 - purple to colourless

why does it propene have two products: can form secondary or primary carbocation depending on which carbon the hydrogen bonds to.

paper cup, poly cup:
    paper required more energy to make which would cost more and that money could be used for recycling (probs should have said energy would have led to more harmful gases here).... also paper needs wood/bark which contributes to deforestation

last question:
    polystyrene non-biodegradeable
    and its produced from crude oil which is a finite resource (couldnt think of anymore here)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomassss)
    I said sometimes it joins with the secondary carbon (major product) sometimes it joins with the first carbon (minor Product).... i forgot to say its more stable with the seconday carbocation !!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    dont worry the question didnt ask why it formed the secondary carbocation but in fact asked why it formed two products, so you dont need to say that the secondary carbocation was more stable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    I wrote down ethane and something else i forgot. since the hydrogen attacked the single bond instead of the double bond.
    It's because Propene is non-symmetrical so when it undergoes electrophilic addition there will be a major and a minor product formed where the major being that the delta plus Hydrogen bonds to the Carbon with the most Hydrogens bonded to it, following Markovnikov's rule, and the Br bonding to the area of positive charge on the central Carbon - it's major because the intermediate carbocation is more stable than the Minor intermediate carbocation which forms when the Hydrogen bonds to the central Carbon with the least Hydrogens out of the two and the Br bonds to the area of positive charge on the outermost Carbon with the least Hydrogens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK-mar)
    dont worry the question didnt ask why it formed the secondary carbocation but in fact asked why it formed two products, so you dont need to say that the secondary carbocation was more stable.
    I said the propene was unsymetrical or something and then said what The hydrogen does..and then what br does (I think it was br) and then it can result in 2 products

ReputationRep:
    wat did people on the calcium ion is smaller than Ca atom
    Ion is smaller than the atom as since the Ion has lost a subshell there is a greater net nuclear charge acting on the remaining shells so it will be smaller - something along those lines.

ReputationRep:
    WOW i started this thread 5 hours ago and already so many replies: well heres what i got from what i can remember:
    displacement reaction was one with CuSO4 in it (watever one that was)
    ratio = 5:1
    most unreactive was A as it need the most energy to remove electron
    E-Z one i got Z-something as two were on the same side with priority i think.
    for the free radical one propagation was the one with free rads either side, initiation was the one with free rads on the right hand side and termination had free rads on left hand side of equation.

what is bigger calcium ion or atom: ion because it needs to lose its 2 outer electrons to form a full outer shell.

Why do BeCL2 and CaCl2 conduct dif? : because Be is a bigger cation so there is less polarization between it and the CL2 so electrostatic forces are weaker so ions more free to move in solution.

electrostatic field directs positive ions into narrow beam through mass spec
    magnetic plates: deflect the ions

the number one for mass spec was something like 137.4
    3 peaks for the mass spec, one for bigger isotope, one for smaller and one in between.

hess cycle value was something like -700 and the experimental value was - 600 and something..... why is experiment less exothermic: because the experiment may hav had incomplete combustion. the other reason i made up and said cos the water could hav been measured to 0.5g using a burette as it makes a large difference?? lol

wher is paraffin from: crude oil
    problems with experiment:
    1.bung didnt fit.
    2.the tube in the water wasnt actually held by anything so had no support.
    3. tube goin into water wasnt directly under test tube.

ORGANIC SECTION:
    reagent: hydrogen
    catalyst: nickel
    name : 1,2dibromoethane (i think)
    colour change of KMnO4 - purple to colourless

why does it propene have two products: can form secondary or primary carbocation depending on which carbon the hydrogen bonds to.

paper cup, poly cup:
    paper required more energy to make which would cost more and that money could be used for recycling (probs should have said energy would have led to more harmful gases here).... also paper needs wood/bark which contributes to deforestation

last question:
    polystyrene non-biodegradeable
    and its produced from crude oil which is a finite resource (couldnt think of anymore here)
    did the test tube with parrafin had support

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by There will be Particles)
    It's because Propene is non-symmetrical so when it undergoes electrophilic addition there will be a major and a minor product formed where the major being that the delta plus Hydrogen bonds to the Carbon with the most Hydrogens bonded to it, following Markovnikov's rule, and the Br bonding to the area of positive charge on the central Carbon - it's major because the intermediate carbocation is more stable than the Minor intermediate carbocation which forms when the Hydrogen bonds to the central Carbon with the least Hydrogens out of the two and the Br bonds to the area of positive charge on the outermost Carbon with the least Hydrogens.
    Crap I completely forgot about Markovnikov and just misunderstood the question >< so it was basically positional isomerism with a minor and major product being formed

ReputationRep:
    wat did ppl put about that born har is -2268 or somthing like that and theortical yield is ..... and if its a match with ionic something

ReputationRep:
    for the limestone question i said SO2 and NO2 cause acid rain which then wear away the buildings..... sumthing like that anyway.... is it right ??

ReputationRep:
    did the test with parrafin had support
    are you asking whether it had support or that you've done it and it had support then?

in the diagram it had an arrow labelled clamped to and it was pointing at the reaction vessel but there was nothing holding the tube collecting the gas so i said there needs to be something supporting it.

ReputationRep:
    wat did ppl put after the graph question where was Ba2+

ReputationRep:
    For the graphs,
    I don't remember the letters but;
    The element that made 4 bonds was carbon,
    the unreactive gas was Neon;
    the element with electrons in p orbital was fluorine
    and what was the fourth??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imaaan)
    for the limestone question i said SO2 and NO2 cause acid rain which then wear away the buildings..... sumthing like that anyway.... is it right ??
    yeh the gases rise to cloud level where they combine with water to form acid rain. when it falls on the limestone building it dissolves the calcium carbonate.

ReputationRep:
    are you asking whether it had support or that you've done it and it had support then?

in the diagram it had an arrow labelled clamped to and it was pointing at the reaction vessel but there was nothing holding the tube collecting the gas so i said there needs to be something supporting it.
    k wat did u put for LiI density and is C doube bond twice as strong as single bond or is that incorrect

ReputationRep:
    wheres the person that always uploads the paper with all the answers on it??lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hilly22)
    wheres the person that always uploads the paper with all the answers on it??lol
    whos the person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    Crap I completely forgot about Markovnikov and just misunderstood the question >< so it was basically positional isomerism with a minor and major product being formed
    it was one mark i wouldnt fret. Im sure something as simple as the hydrogen can bond to either the middle carbon or the outer carbon.therefore the bromine either bonds to the middle or outer carbon depending on which the hydrogen bonds to. This either forms a secondary one or primary. for example. lol

ReputationRep:
    k wat did u put for LiI density and is C doube bond twice as strong as single bond or is that incorrect
    Sorry i cant remember the LiI question can you remember the actualy question. and for the carbon double bond one i think i put the pi bond is double the sigma bond as incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    Why are people getting worried for the propene question-Was only one mark??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 25, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.